conglomeration of stuff - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-02-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just purchased a TV, waiting for delivery. What other stuff will I need to setup a home theater? I'm not looking for actual products, but more so the types... Goal is to watch movies and occasional tv shows with rare gaming - trying to minimize the number of things needed while maximizing picture and audio quality (I like nice stuff). Still researching price range - guess is about $2k for audio system, no idea on the rest.

Obviously speakers, sub, possibly an amp. Do I need a receiver?

For playing movies, a blue ray player is a good idea. I've noticed many of these also do other things like netflix, pandora, etc. What's the benefit to something like this vs. building a computer that has a blue ray player and using something like windows MC or xmbc or ps3?

Does it make sense to get a blu ray player plus a ps3/xbox ? If I'm not getting cable or satellite, do I need a PVR?

Do I need anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 AM

what is this i don't even

Jason
post #3 of 9 Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post

what is this i don't even

what are y{#`%${%&`+'${`%&cchhhhrrrrr tsschhhhh NO CARRIER

post #4 of 9 Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Yes, you need a reciever. (or a preamp with seperate amp/s)

Why not use a PC? Convenience, I suppose. Unless you leave the PC on all the time it's quicker to turn on a dedicated player. If you have the PC and are happy with it, though, may as well use it.

Sounds like your system will be pretty simple, but a universal remote like a Harmony can make everything a lot easier to use.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

If my setup is simple, could someone provide an example of a "complex" setup? I am just curious to know what other types of components are needed in a home theater setup.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Also regarding the universal remote, why exactly are those needed? I remember way back when, many televisions and cable networks come with a remote that can learn other remote features.. it's always worked for me. Are they that much better?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-02-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

How big is the room? How big is the TV? If you have the space I'd upgrade to a PJ and screen for a genuine Theater in the Home experience (if you can return the TV or exchange it).

Theater is, well, Theater. We tried with a 60in TV - nice TV but not capable of "Theater" visual experience. Surround sound is, of course, very important but the eyes have it if a PJ delivers it. In a smaller room a Mits 82 inch TV maybe could deliver a theater feel.

Best of Luck with your project!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedovaty View Post

Also regarding the universal remote, why exactly are those needed? I remember way back when, many televisions and cable networks come with a remote that can learn other remote features.. it's always worked for me. Are they that much better?

Universal remotes today learn macros that with a touch of a button allow you to turn on all the correct components and change them to the correct inputs for the activity you want.

A PS3 doubles as a Blu-Ray player (and is one of the best ones on the market).

I think you really just need to sit down and research.... a lot.

Jason
post #9 of 9 Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

imjay - yeah, the original idea was to do a projector on a screen. I put that project on hold for two reasons: first, to do what I want will take a couple months work and effort (I'm slow at the DIY stuff) and I wanted something now; second, I cannot get anyone to comment on what kind of results to expect from a projector in the room (I've already asked in a few posts, but, whatever). So for now, I've settled on a 65" plasma, arrives this coming tuesday. Can't wait! It stinks watching movies on an old 12" thinkpad... (it helped when I attached my 23" computer lcd though). It was inexpensive, and it'll be good for the future, too, can be moved into the bedroom later or used for the 15 minute on-off viewing where a projector isn't quite appropriate.

Jason: I've done nothing but research for the past year, the problem now is WHAT ELSE. The point of this post was to find out what other equipment I need besides TV, speakers, receiver/amp, and blu ray player. Thanks for the explanation on the universal remote. I didn't think it'd be needed, since most controllers offer memorizing other things, but the whole macro idea seems great! Last thing I learned is that each movie may need tweaking on the sound and video to get right, gahh, whatever happened to pnp
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page