SONY HTSS370 & PS3 - what settings for Blu-Ray playback? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-03-2010, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I just bought SONY HTSS370 5.1 Home Theater System.
I have it connected via HDMI to the PS3 and the TV.

PS3 has LPCM enabled, so if I understand correctly the console is decoding sound when Blu-Ray movie is played?
Then it is 'transferred' to the receiver. The only thing I don't know what to do is which "sound field" I should use on the receiver.

Should I just use:
A.F.D. STD or MOVIE DCS ??
Or maybe something else.....

Here are the available options:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 09:34 PM

found this thread using a google search. decided to bump it instead of making a new thread.

i was wondering the same thing because i have the same setup and i'm not getting any sound from the rear speakers and i can't figure out why

i have the ps3 set to lpcm and the htss370 to afd std
post #3 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango259 View Post

found this thread using a google search. decided to bump it instead of making a new thread.

i was wondering the same thing because i have the same setup and i'm not getting any sound from the rear speakers and i can't figure out why

i have the ps3 set to lpcm and the htss370 to afd std

Hmmm...
I am using AFD STD also with PS3 set to LPCM. Sound comes from the rear speakers in my case...

Did you try to watch a movie or play a game? Does it happen in both cases? Maybe the sound comes out, but is very low. I had to adjust rear speakers to maximum so I could actually hear them. You can do it through the MENU from the remote of the HTSS370.

Hope that helps!
post #4 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 PM

wow thanks for the reply! i didn't expect one so quick. sound comes from the rears when playing god of war III, but when i watched inception (bluray) NOTHING comes from them in AFD STD. my GF is watching Glee (bluray) right now and the rears are silent. but i'll try adjusting the levels and see what happens, thanks again
post #5 of 9 Old 02-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
id like to bump this thread for the initial question..

as for soundfield, STD or DCS?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-18-2011, 03:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post

id like to bump this thread for the initial question.. as for soundfield, STD or DCS?

Hey, just in case someone else is looking for this. A.F.D. STD is the correct setting if you want the full glory of the LPCM signal such as from the PS3 (once you've manually adusted it to output the 5.1 & 7.1 LPCM (44,48,96khz - that the HT-SS370 supports) or from a stand alone Blu-Ray player.

Couple of things I've noticed or to check. First use your display of the Blu-Ray player/PS3 to make sure it's actually outputting 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 audio for DVD or Blu-ray output. Sometimes you must manually select this from the Setup or Audio menu of the individual disk. If that's outputting 5.1 or above then Press the AMP & then Display button to see what the AMP is outputting.

I learned that the ORDER with which you turn on your equipment and complete the handshakes makes a difference. I kept getting stuck with 2.0 output from the HT-SS370 despite my Sony BDP's outputting full Blu-Ray HD audio... what J.Chin helped me realize was that turning on the TV first, waiting for it to fully start up, then turning on the HT-SS370 fully, then the Blu-ray player.... and that solved the issue. Then it would output 5.1, (6.1) or (7.1) and show that correctly on the display. Something with the handshaking process.

So when I read your issues with it not producing sound out of the Rear surrounds (and after testing it with A.F.D. Multi just to make sure the speakers are working, that either the content coming in is still 2.0 (because you didn't select the right Audio track on the DVD/BR ==> or didn't set up the BR / PS3 player correctly to Output LPCM (not Dolby HD or DTS HD). ==OR== the actual content is only 2.0 channel ===OR=== their is a handshaking issue (such as components not turned on in the right order) and /or some error/incompatibility in the handshaking between devices.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM

good stuff there amigo. i have since sold the 370s and purchased the 380 and also upped the bd players to 780's. ive not noticed a handshake issue however i will pay more attention to this going forward. i do more vudu/netflix streaming than physical media these days.

the 380s have a HD D.C.S. mode which is quite amazing and I have tested it with that and the STD setting and find the soudfield with HD D.C.S. more spacious...
post #8 of 9 Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post

the 380s have a HD D.C.S. mode which is quite amazing and I have tested it with that and the STD setting and find the soudfield with HD D.C.S. more spacious...

Yeah, it is quite nice. I never used the Movie-D.C.S.- setting on the SS-370 as I found it sound really flat and odd...

Since I've gotten the SS-380, I've been testing it against A.F.D. STD and while they are both pretty similar, the HD-D.C.S. seems to bring out the details more and is probably more spacious. I like them both.

The HD-DCS makes TV shows sounds like a movie...if you're into that at all.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-2011, 09:42 PM

excellent post wolf!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page