The Thanksgiving Deadline Project - Home Theater/Kid's Play Area/Guest Room - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 153 Old 09-25-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Glad you enjoyed reading about my water (mold) issues, as it sure wasn't a ton of fun to live through them! I'm trying to put all those memories out of my mind. I find alcohol helps with that!

I hope you know that I meant your build thread and commentary were entertaining, not your water issues. That's just how I happened to run across your thread. As you can see by my project, I don't find water in my basement entertaining at all. I was so annoyed I took out my anger on my yard. My poor, poor yard. We still have some areas without any grass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 153 Old 09-25-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I know you meant the entertainment value, not the water issues. I just have a warped sense of ... reality!

Might come in part from having to put up with Favre's dramatics!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #33 of 153 Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Might come in part from having to put up with Favre's dramatics!

I'm glad he's your headache now, although it sounds like this is definitely his last year.
post #34 of 153 Old 09-26-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewersfan73 View Post

I'm glad he's your headache now, although it sounds like this is definitely his last year.

Yeah, ok whatever. I won't believe anything about Favre's retirement utill I see the Vikings or whatever team he is playing for at the time line up for the season opener and he is not there. Until then I won't believe it.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #35 of 153 Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Yeah, ok whatever. I won't believe anything about Favre's retirement utill I see the Vikings or whatever team he is playing for at the time line up for the season opener and he is not there. Until then I won't believe it.

Regards,

RTROSE

Good point. That guy sure hates attending mini-camps.
post #36 of 153 Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post

Not sure if it is to late but I would find a drywall mudder and have him float all the walls and ceiling and then add a nice rich texture. It is amazing what a pro could do to make your walls look better and I estimate it at less than 500$.
It would probably take him 3 separate trips and you would have some drying time. THe schedule would take a 5- 7days slide but you will regret it if you dont. Not sure who painted but I suggest a darker warmer color and put on the primer and paint correctly.

Thanks for the suggestion. As I was working on repairing the wall where I tore off that corkboard, I was able to match my existing texture pretty well with the "orange peel in a can" that I bought at Lowes. That gave me the confidence to attack those butt joints with a layer or two of joint compound. At first I was scared that I would make it worse by leveling out the wall but then have a vertical stripe of texture that didn't match, but now I feel better about it.

I'm finishing up the corkboard repair tonight with a coat of primer just to make sure I matched the rest pretty well. If it turns out good, I'll give it a shot on the butt joints.
post #37 of 153 Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I hate doing anything but just small repairs to drywall. There is definitely an "art" to the process. It is one of the things I hired out and glad I did. If I had done it on my own I would still be doing it I'm sure. Good luck and happy drywalling/mudding/repairing.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #38 of 153 Old 10-08-2010, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

I've been mudding & sanding for most of the week, and my anal-rententive side is getting the best of me. I was hoping to have the ceiling primed and the walls completely repaired by today, but I keep finding new things to fix. Every flipping day I'm finding about 2-3 new nail pops in the drywall that I didn't see the day before. I'm about ready to call it quits, break out the rollers, and put some paint on it. I'm sure the texturing will hide the rest.

It definitely is an art and not one that I enjoy doing. I can see why a lot of people hire it out, and if I ever have a big enough project, I probably will, too.

RTRose - I'm hoping to break out those same paint rollers this weekend. Hopefully some pictures of a primed ceiling and new wall by Monday.

We are also going carpet shopping this weekend. We want to decide on that first and then pick out some paint for the walls. I can sense some progress going on, although when I look at the current state of my basement, that feeling goes away. Only 7 weeks left til the deadline.
post #39 of 153 Old 10-10-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand about the anal retentive obsessive compulsive. I was in the theater room last night (did not get a chance to work in the theater yesterday) and was noticing that there are just a few spots that need some touched up and there are two places that seem to have just slight roller marks and another place that is just slightly off where I cut it in and on and on and on...............Sometimes you just have to say "It's good enough"

Here's hoping that you had a chance to put those rollers to good use.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #40 of 153 Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

I did break out the paint rollers this past weekend, although I only managed to put a coat of primer on the ceiling. But still, progress is progress, right?

We also have enough carpet samples to cover the entire floor. We've been wading through all the different options, and although we have a pretty good idea of what color we want and agree on, we are having trouble with material/style. Nylon or polyester or Triexta/Smart-strand? Textured or frieze? We are trying to stay under $3/sq ft (carpet & pad), although that budget isn't firm.

Does anyone have suggestions? Since we are leaning toward something that is a little more durable and will look good after a few years, we are leaning toward a nylon frieze. Are we on the right track? We are looking at something similar to this:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially from those of you who have had your carpeting for a few years.
post #41 of 153 Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 AM

We looked at a similar frieze carpet, but then looked at a dense plush, which we decided on. We were told by many people to go with the nylon carpeting for better wear for any place you want it to last. It stains a little easier, but getting the stainmaster, you get the warranty with the nylon too. Ours should be installed in the next couple of weeks.

Excess Energy in everything
XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #42 of 153 Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

It's been a while since I've posted pictures, so here are my gratuitous If I put up pictures, people will think I've been working on my basement pictures. Here's a picture of the room with all of the furniture removed, except for a glider and a chair that I couldn't fit into the unfinished side. And, of course, the TV so I can watch the games on Sunday while I'm working.

As I mentioned previously, the ceiling is primed. I'm just trying to find some time to put a coat of paint on it. Then I can get the recessed lighting and vent covers back up. We still haven't picked out new overhead light fixtures. We looked for a while at Home Depot, but didn't see anything to our liking, so we are probably headed to Lowes or Menards this weekend. We are pretty lucky because both Home Depot and Lowes are within 5 minutes of our house, and Menards is about 10 minutes away. This is especially helpful when you run out of primer at 9:30 PM.

I'm ready to paint the new wall. I finished mudding/sanding last weekend, so I sealed it and sprayed orange peel texture on it earlier this week, and then put a coat of primer on it last night. While I wait for us to pick out a paint color for the walls, I'm going to get the outlets and switches wired up and then start cutting the additional holes for low voltage wall brackets.

Same products that RTRose used for his project.

Here's a shameless plug for Homax spray texture. I read a lot of mixed reviews about it, but I have to say that if you follow the directions, it works great. I didn't have a single issue with it, other than the price. If you have a pretty small project like mine, I would recommend it.

We are getting pretty close to deciding on a carpet. After much looking and research, our budget somehow crept up to around $4/sq ft. I'll put up a picture once we make the final decision - hopefully this weekend.

Upon further review last night, I think I'm also going to replace all of the baseboards and the doors. The baseboards need to come off anyway when I do the Dricore subfloor and carpeting, and after inspecting the doors last night, they are in worse shape than I originally thought. Like everything else in my basement, they were not installed very well at all, so I'm thinking about starting over.
post #43 of 153 Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The carpet in your pic is very close to what we have by looks anyway. Can't remember what the actual blend was, but I think we went with the material blend that was easier to clean/more stain resistance. What ever carpet we choose the pile never quite lasts as long as they say it will. We have had our carpet for about a year now and it is holding up quite nicely.

I'm with you on the painting, planning on doing some more priming and painting over the weekend. Good luck!

Regards,

RTROSE
brewersfan73 likes this.

post #44 of 153 Old 10-15-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

From what we've read, polyester is more stain resistant and nylon is more durable. We are planning to get nylon since we haven't been thrilled with how our polyester wore in the upstairs family room. I'm glad to hear yours is holding up better. But I have to admit, we are pretty tough on our carpeting upstairs since there is a pretty narrow traffic pattern. I'm pretty sure the nylon would not be looking good either at this point.

Have fun painting.
post #45 of 153 Old 10-15-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

We're tough on ours as well and like you have somewhat of a limited traffic pattern that sees a lot of use. So far so good.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #46 of 153 Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Unlike like my last post with the pseudo-progress pictures, we made some actual progress this past weekend. First and foremost, we've decided on carpeting:

Over the past couple of months, we've ended up with about 200 paint samples from various stores. We took the carpet sample to the basement under the correct lighting last night and eliminated most of them. As of this morning, we probably are down to about 20 samples, and I think my wife is finalizing the colors today (or at least will probably be down to about 5 colors by the time I get home).

I did get the coat of paint on the ceiling on Saturday night. We also picked out the main light fixtures. After not a lot of luck at Depot or Lowes, we ended up at Menards on Saturday. Wow, they've got a great selection of lighting! There were probably about 3-4 options that we both agreed on. They were also having a 25% off sale on all lighting, so we brought home three options for a dining room chandelier. We (almost) finished redecorating our dining room about three years ago, but we never got around to replacing the light fixture and the door hardware on our china cabinet. It will be nice to have another room completed instead of almost there. (We also redecorated our ½ bath a couple a years ago, but we still need to put in new floor tile. We bought the tile over a year ago, but just haven't installed it).

Anyway, back to the basement. I installed all of the recessed lighting trim, installed one of the new fixtures from Menards (they had a paintable base, so I started with one to make sure we liked it), and wired in all of the switches.

I still need to install the other two light fixtures (hopefully tonight) and the two vent covers (which also need a couple coats of paint), and then the ceiling should be complete. Oh, and I need to do something with the electrical conduit up in the corner. Not the big water pipe (which I discussed in a separate thread), but the one near the wall wash recessed lighting. It was secured closer to the ceiling when I started, but I ripped off the wall fasteners so I could paint the ceiling a little easier.

It's a little annoying with the wall wash lighting on right now:

I've taken off all of the baseboard trim, cleaned up a couple small areas that had mold, and am in the process of doing the last repairs on the wall before painting. The hope is that we can start painting the walls on Wednesday. As of last night, we were leaning toward a two-tone wall with a chair rail. I guess I'll see if that's still the plan as of tonight.
post #47 of 153 Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, no pictures this time. You will just need to visualize it in your head.

So no big deal, but the other two overhead light fixtures are installed. Still need to paint the ceiling vent covers.

The major progress is that we decided on paint last night. We did end up going with a two-tone paint scheme with a chair rail. So I ran out to Home Depot and picked up a few gallons of paint. As I was sanding the last few wall repairs and cleaning up so that the carpet measurer can come out today, my wife comes down and asks Is there any reason we can't start painting tonight? It's about 9:30 PM, so I less than enthusiastically said sure. We taped off our proposed chair rail height and while I had dinner, my wife started painting the top half with Behr Vanilla Custard (the bottom half is Crepe, so we seem to have a dessert theme going on). We put the first coat on two walls, and I think as I'm typing this, she is painting the other two walls. We'll probably hammer out the second coat tonight and then move onto the bottom half. I'll get some pictures up later this week.

My wife has been excited about this day for a long time. She's been very eager to start the painting process for several months now, and all the other prep has just been leading up to this day. Who knows, maybe she'll have the whole room done by the time I get home tonight.
post #48 of 153 Old 10-21-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I got home last night and my wife finished the first coat on the top of the wall in the morning, and then was able to get the second coat on in the afternoon. So we worked on the bottom half and got the first coat completed last night. So what do you think?

We aren't completely sure at this point. The carpeting we are putting in is a darker shade of brown, so it probably won't bring out the orange/pink in that bottom layer as much. Also, I've heard from two people at work that the chair rail will make a huge difference. I guess we'll take another look tonight and make up our minds.
post #49 of 153 Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice progress! Keep 'er going while you have momentum!

As for feedback on the color - the bottom color looks a bit on the light side for my tastes, and a bit orange. Maybe it's the light in the photos, but I'd hope the carpet and/or the chair rail pulls the darker colors in that out. Can you get a larger carpet sample in there to eyeball it?
brewersfan73 likes this.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #50 of 153 Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nice progress! Keep 'er going while you have momentum!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The past few weeks have been the fastest this project has moved in months. It's probably because the self-imposed deadline is only 5 weeks from today.

Quote:

As for feedback on the color - the bottom color looks a bit on the light side for my tastes, and a bit orange. Maybe it's the light in the photos, but I'd hope the carpet and/or the chair rail pulls the darker colors in that out. Can you get a larger carpet sample in there to eyeball it?

Although I think a darker color would definitely look better on the bottom, we have a problem with no ambient light and lower ceilings, so I didn't want too dark of a color that would make the room look small. The biggest concern to us at this point is the orange color that you mentioned. No, we can't get a larger carpet sample. We have one swatch that is 1' X 2', but it's attached to a display board so it's really hard to gauge it against the walls.

I did run out today at lunch and grabbed 3 samples of chair rails in different finishes. We'll put those on the wall tonight to see if we like it better.
post #51 of 153 Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with my carpeting salesman. Sounds like he is tentatively planning to come out on Monday to tear up the old stuff and haul it away. The great part is that instead of calling in his installation team and charging us a service trip charge, he is going to come over after he works on Monday and do it himself. Since we are putting in Dricore, I needed them to haul the old stuff away in one trip and then come back a few weeks later to install the new carpeting, and this extra trip is not included in their installation charge (obviously). Talk about great service!
post #52 of 153 Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey great progress. I'll have to second the comment on the paint. It does look a little on the orange side. However I do like the top color really well. Regarding the closed in feeling, that was the worry of Mrs. RTROSE when we went so dark in the theater room. She did admit it did not close in as much as she thought it would. Food for thought.

That is great service on the carpet. You don't find service like that very much anymore. The Dricore should go in pretty much without a fuss. You won't regret your choice in covering the floor with it. I did the platon and love it.

Regards,

RTROSE
brewersfan73 likes this.

post #53 of 153 Old 10-22-2010, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

We played around with different chair rails last night and it does look a lot better - definitely less orange. And now that I looked at it again, it's definitely not as orange as the pictures suggest.

That being said, I still went to Depot last night and picked up several more paint samples - mostly darker tans, browns, reds, and burgandys. We were out of energy last night so we didn't comb through the samples. The only thing I accomplished was cutting the hole for my bulk cable recessed wall plate and attaching the cables to the face plates behind the TV location. Definitely more fun than painting, although not as rewarding.
post #54 of 153 Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Since my thread got bumped to the 2nd page, it must be time for some updates. I kept forgetting to download the pictures off my camera, and I know how the crowd on here disapproves of updates without pictures.

I finished making holes in the new wall for all of my wiring needs. I also put on the faceplates and plasma wall mount on the top part of the wall since we are 95% sure we are staying with that color:

And a picture with my new TV mounted. Sorry, I don't get very good reception down here yet.

(and yes, my chair rail line and the face plates behind the TV are not completely level, but the TV mount definitely is)

The sales guy was scheduled to come over this past Monday, so I had to clear out everything in the room. Those are my first Dricore tiles on the floor. I bought them so I could play around with them and verify the dimensions. I also wanted to make sure that my carpeting guy didn't have any questions about them.

And finally, the room without carpeting.

Next up, another issue with the professionals that finished the basement the first time
post #55 of 153 Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

As I was measuring the rough opening for the door, I realized that it was out of square.

No big deal. I've never hung a door by myself before, but I had a pretty good idea how to get it plumb. But as my father-in-law and I were discussing how to do it, we measured to see if the rough opening was plumb front-to-back. Not sure if you can see it in this picture or not. The wall that I'm standing next to when taking the picture is plumb, but the wall on the other side of the door opening is leaning. From this point of view, the bottom of that wall is kicked out to the right.

So I hung a plumb line from the corner of the wall and ceiling

and it was off by about this much (about 2):

Now I can see why we've had so many problems with this door and why the trim work was nailed on how it was.

The stud wall was not nailed to the floor at all, so my father-in-law devised a solution to kick out the bottom of the wall from the other side so that it was plumb.

Here's a picture of the wall from the unfinished side. You can see that we aren't talking about a very big wall. And we weren't worried if it was plumb at the other end (in the corner on the finished side of the room), since that was going to cause all sorts of drywall issues. We just needed to plumb up the door opening.

So while I was at work on Monday, he took some 2x6's and made this contraption. First off, he pushed one piece of lumber against the opposite concrete wall and then attached another piece on top to act as a cleat.

Next he set in another 2x6 so that it rested against the cleat and angled up to the problem wall.

Then, he pounded down the top end of that angle and it gradually kicked the wall out to the right spot. Then we put some Tapcons through the sole plate into the floor to secure it. Problem fixed. And the best part is that there was no damage to the drywall on the other side. I thought a crack or two would develop that would need patching, but I guess we lucked out.

We are still working on colors, but we just can't make up our mind. I ran to Depot last night and bought a sample of a brick red that we sort of liked. Definitely an improvement, but still not sure if this is the direction we want to go.

Any opinions?
post #56 of 153 Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Nice fix for the crooked wall! Very inventive way to do it.
post #57 of 153 Old 10-27-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazing how out of true and plumb something can be and you don't realize it until you start remodeling or renovating. Nice fix. As for an opinion on the paint color? Yeah, I got one. I LIKE it! What are the chances that you will pick this color over the other. The red would give the room a little more umph for sure. I say go for it!

Regards,

RTROSE
brewersfan73 likes this.

post #58 of 153 Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I kinda prefer the darker color myself, but wouldn't slow down your progress too much at this point for it. You can always repaint later.

Nice work by the FIL. But looking at that laundry room area reminds me of my basement pre-project ... brrrrrr! You need some insulation on those walls dude!! Us northerners can't be going insulation-naked in the winter!!
brewersfan73 likes this.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #59 of 153 Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 PM

I like the red for the walls, and the tan for the ceiling...

If you are checking out my thread, you will see why

Excess Energy in everything
XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #60 of 153 Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee View Post

Nice fix for the crooked wall! Very inventive way to do it.

All credit has to go to the father-in-law. If it was just me, I either would have left it alone and hung the door crooked, or I would have taken a hammer to the bottom of that wall and tried to kick it over (probably without success).
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page