56h80 arriving next week - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-15-2000, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Toshiba 56h80 arriving next week and was wondering what I should do first when it arrives. First I will let it warm up as it'll probably be a little cold coming of the shipping truck. I have a copy of avia and will be calibrating it. Should I let the set break in for a week or so or calibrate it when it arrives and then calibrate it again after it breaks in? Also should I do the 9 point convergence when it arrives and then do it again later also? I should wait about 6 weeks before doing the 64 point convergence right? I will want to get it ISF calibrated so how long should I wait to do that? If anyone has any more suggestions, I would like to here about them. I hear the Toshiba's are horrible out of the box but are pretty good after there are all set up and tweaked. I really want to tweak it to get the best picture out of this set. I am so excited and can hardly wait for it to come. This will be my first 16:9 HDTV set and am really looking forward to it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-16-2000, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Here is the site you want to visit: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm It has tons of info on setting up and tweaking Toshiba HDTVs.

Steve
post #3 of 8 Old 12-16-2000, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd recommend doing the full service convergence before ever touching the 9-point. Otherwise, you can affect the overall range that you can move the crosshairs in the 9-point. No need to wait 6 weeks to do it, but the convergence will drift a bit for the first month or so.

------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
http://www.nbtelectronics.com
post #4 of 8 Old 12-16-2000, 01:51 PM

Liked: 12
My Tosh 56X81 came with contrast & brightness set to 100 (the max). It was in the "normal" mode, which is just a preset mode apparently for watching broadcast TV in a brightly lit area.

I was able to get a very good picture quickly by going into the Theater Mode first, which reduced brightness and contrast. I then further reduced them a bit, and I also reduced sharpness to about 25.

It's been said that the Theater Mode reduces Scan Velocity Modulation on the Toshiba TVs. At the time I bought my 56X81 I was advised to get into Theater Mode right away before making adjustments. The idea being that the Theater Mode settings (including any SVM reduction) would be loaded into memory along with any adjustments made (anytime you make a single adjustment, all the other current settings are loaded into memory).

Anyway, you can get a very good picture without a lot of tweaking on the Toshiba widescreens, but they are very sensitive to brightness/contrast/sharpness, so adjust those first.

post #5 of 8 Old 12-17-2000, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve f, unfortunately, as soon as you change any settings in the theater mode, the set goes into 'memory' and SVM is re-engaged. Go here http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefu...m_disable.html for information on completely disabling it in hardware or software.

Software is the easiest. If you pull up the needle pulse test pattern in VE and look at the white line on black background in the lower half of the sceen. Toggle the VSM setting and you'll see that it has three distinct 'power' levels that just keep cyling as you change the value. The default is maximum power. Set it to the one with the least amount of 'ringing' (down 2 from default, IIRC). I've found no difference in toying with those other 'VSM' settings.

------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
http://www.nbtelectronics.com
post #6 of 8 Old 12-20-2000, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Congratulations on your purchase. If you go to my website and click on Toshiba Tips&Tweaks, you will find numerous suggestions offered by some very knowledgeable people such as Tom Herman, Stephen Smith, Steve Martin, and more. Among the tips is one specifically written for first time Toshiba owners.

------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks
post #7 of 8 Old 12-20-2000, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

karsenault,

I agree with Steve...first thing is to turn down the contrast and brightness. You will need a break in period of about 100-150 hours before getting the unit I.S.F. optimized and calibrated. Your initial viewing might be on the dark side...but after calibration you will reap the benefits of picture quality and also add to the longevity of the unit.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Archangel (edited 12-20-2000).]
post #8 of 8 Old 12-21-2000, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Everybody

My 56h80 arrived but not without problems. The picture was scrolling from right to left real fast and was very unwatchable. The service Guy came the same day it arrived and fixed it within 20 minutes. There was a loose circuit board in side the set. I set it up using Avia and let me say this set looks awsome. I am only using a pioneer elite dv-05 and plan to upgrade to a progressive scan dvd player. Any suggestions? I was considering a dv-37 or maybe the much more expensive sony dvp-s9000es. I also want to add HDTV. I want to thank everybody for your suggestions and want to wish everybody a Merry Christmas.
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page