post #91 of 234 Old 10-21-2011, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

FYI, I was able to get the rockboard and all roxul products from 81 lumber. I live on the North side of Indianapolis, not sure where you are exactly, but I believe they carry it nationally and are very reasonable.

Thanks for the help though Dave and I are about 3 hours north of Indy right at the state line. Their is an "84" (I assume that is what you meant not 81) lumber close but they too are special order on the Roxul products.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 234 Old 10-21-2011, 04:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyusa99 View Post

Coming along nicely. And I'm digging the Dead Guy Ale banner. One of my favorite brews.
post #93 of 234 Old 10-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Thanks for the help though Dave and I are about 3 hours north of Indy right at the state line. Their is an "84" (I assume that is what you meant not 81) lumber close but they too are special order on the Roxul products.

Yes, sorry, 84. I was told that they just started carrying these products so they are slow to stock them, but the ordered in rock board for me in a few days and broke the package apart to sell me a few boards until I was sure that it did what I wanted it to. If you have a good local source that is good. It has proven to be a very good product including the safe and sound batts.
post #94 of 234 Old 10-21-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown6057 View Post

Does it go out of the stringer on the subfloor? If so did you run a pipe up through the overhang of your roof?

The vent goes out through the rim joist and exits about 10" above grade outside the back of the house. There is a direct termination on the end of the vent pipe, it doesn't turn and go up towards the roof at all.

Dave
post #95 of 234 Old 10-21-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post

Coming along nicely. And I'm digging the Dead Guy Ale banner. One of my favorite brews.

Ohh yea, gotta love the Dead Guy, a very good Marzen style brew!
post #96 of 234 Old 10-21-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Looking good.

I am always on the lookout for a new brew to try so I'll to check out this at some point. Right now I'm working on Blue Moon. My favorite is Guinness, but my regular go to standard is Killians. I'll drink Miller Genuine Draft in a pinch. Always in bottles, NEVER from a can. Sacrilege!

I'm surprised that the vent is so low to the ground, I would have thought it would be positioned higher on the house. Interesting.

Keep it up, your progressing nicely.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #97 of 234 Old 10-22-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Looking good.

I am always on the lookout for a new brew to try so I'll to check out this at some point. Right now I'm working on Blue Moon. My favorite is Guinness, but my regular go to standard is Killians. I'll drink Miller Genuine Draft in a pinch. Always in bottles, NEVER from a can. Sacrilege!

I'm surprised that the vent is so low to the ground, I would have thought it would be positioned higher on the house. Interesting.

Keep it up, your progressing nicely.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks RT. The fireplace company recommended that I dig out and install a window well under the termination to keep snow buildup from putting out the pilot light...it's on the list of things to do.

Anyway, I got the last of the grouting finished on the fireplace and gave it a good sweeping, it's totally finished now:

Also got the final grouting around the mantel plug:

Also got the speaker boxes on either side of the screen wall framed in:
post #98 of 234 Old 10-22-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Looking good - really like the fireplace and stonework - Very Nice!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #99 of 234 Old 10-22-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks cuzed it's been a lot of work but it finally starting to come together.
post #100 of 234 Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Looking good - really like the fireplace and stonework - Very Nice!!

+1 What he said!

How are you going to finish out the bottom of your screen wall? I see a detail there in the middle that is supported by a couple of looks to be 2x8 or 2x10's, what is the story there?

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #101 of 234 Old 10-22-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yea I still have to finish the bottom of the stage im planning on contouring some 1/4" plywood around the front to match the curve of the plywood sheeting the 2x8 is just a temporary support.
post #102 of 234 Old 10-22-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Looking great Dave

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #103 of 234 Old 10-22-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea I still have to finish the bottom of the stage im planning on contouring some 1/4" plywood around the front to match the curve of the plywood sheeting the 2x8 is just a temporary support.

Ah, ha. Got it. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #104 of 234 Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 AM

The fireplace looks awesome! Good to know about the FP termination especially after last winter in NWI. My termination sits at about the same height.
post #105 of 234 Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks brian. The termination is on the long list if things to get done before winter! For some reason that list never seems to get any shorter.
post #106 of 234 Old 10-25-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

So after some long discussions with the wife, I decided to add a wall in the brewery area to isolate it from the theater. It will provide better sound isolation, less echo and formalize the theater space a bit. After 2 nights of work, the wall and door rough opening are framed and drywalled:

Before:

After:

Also received my led lights in the mail and had a chance to put two 16' strips up to see how they will look. I'm very impressed with this ebay merchant, the strips were $20 a piece for multi color RGB and they work great! Feel free to message me if you need the contact info.

I had to do some experimenting with placement of the strip within the soffit, if placed too high you can see led's, if too low you don't get the diffusion of the light pattern on the ceiling, I think I'll be able to find the right placement when I get to the point of actually mounting them.
post #107 of 234 Old 10-25-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, those LED's look pretty good and the price is certainly right! Very cool. Good call on the wall separating the brew room from the rest of the room. Sounds like the wife is full of good ideas!

Home brew is something I have wanted to do now for about four years, but I just don't have the space or time to get started. I have a buddy who has been home brewing for several years and he has a good time with it, and I even like some of his brews ;-) I have too many hobbies as it is to get involved with another one.

Looks like you are making excellent progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #108 of 234 Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So after some long discussions with the wife, I decided to add a wall in the brewery area to isolate it from the theater. It will provide better sound isolation, less echo and formalize the theater space a bit. After 2 nights of work, the wall and door rough opening are framed and drywalled:

Before:

After:

Also received my led lights in the mail and had a chance to put two 16' strips up to see how they will look. I'm very impressed with this ebay merchant, the strips were $20 a piece for multi color RGB and they work great! Feel free to message me if you need the contact info.

I had to do some experimenting with placement of the strip within the soffit, if placed too high you can see led's, if too low you don't get the diffusion of the light pattern on the ceiling, I think I'll be able to find the right placement when I get to the point of actually mounting them.

Lights look interesting especially for that pricing.

I bet your wife wanted to wall that off so some more work would take place. There is now way I could work that close to the brewery and get anything done!
post #109 of 234 Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

Lights look interesting especially for that pricing.

I bet your wife wanted to wall that off so some more work would take place. There is now way I could work that close to the brewery and get anything done!

Yea the wife loves the sounds of hammers and drills and cussing for hours on end.....not

Anyways I got some of the joints taped and cornerbead up tonight...I really forgot how much I HATE finishing ceilings.
post #110 of 234 Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yea the wife loves the sounds of hammers and drills and cussing for hours on end.....not

Anyways I got some of the joints taped and cornerbead up tonight...I really forgot how much I HATE finishing ceilings.

Yeah I hear you. I learned a lot about myself and finishing my basement. I remember how things seemed to look so different through drywall and then painting and then how slow it all started going when all of the detailed finishing took place. I still have to make cabinet doors for my built-ins...a year later. I think I will take a few days off next week to finish this up before the frost sets in. You have inspired me!
post #111 of 234 Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Well I made some progress yesterday. I finished the base of the stage, got 2 layers 1/4" plywood glued and nailed, it gives it much more of a finished look:

Also made progress on the sitting room area, most of it is now taped and ready for finish mud:

I was in the middle of cutting 1/4" drywall to curve under the arched openings when......

Disaster struck, my razor knife slipped off the straightedge and sliced off part of the tip of my finger...ugh. A trip to Medpoint and 3 hours later I am now the proud owner of 7 stitches. So this message has taken 20 min. to type...lol!

Anyway, it wont be slowing me down.
post #112 of 234 Old 10-30-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh OUCH! That is not good! Glad to hear that it was not worse, but it is bad enough that it happened anyway. Remember SAFETY FIRST! Of course I'm a little late to the party with that piece of advise, sorry.

The stage is looking nice and the archways will be nice as well, as long as you don't loose any more appendages during their construction.

I guess you can kiss your career as a hand model goodby huh?

Regards,

RTROSE

post #113 of 234 Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yea thanks RT guess I better keep my day job...no career as a hand model in the future.

So i'm struggling with how I want to finish the soffits. I can either continue with finishing the drywall and end up with the painted drywall look...but im thinking about putting 1/4" oak plywood on the underside and vertical tray surfaces and staining. I think this would help break up the ceiling from the walls and give some texture and interest. The back 10" will be finished with cloth covered panels to allow acoustic transparency to benefit from the rockwool absorbers already installed.
Any opinions either way or other possible finishes?
post #114 of 234 Old 11-01-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm partial to the look of stain. There just is a certain "richness" that stain brings, that paint can't match.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #115 of 234 Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Read up on what you have accomplished... Place looks great. Glad to see more Hoosiers in here.
Your build makes me wish I would have went with better soundproof options on my basement. You will definitely be happy you did it right.

Question for ya... Did the led strips let you link them together with just the one controller? Just curious, I'd like to be able to change the color with my setup.

Keep the pics coming.

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #116 of 234 Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

Read up on what you have accomplished... Place looks great. Glad to see more Hoosiers in here.
Your build makes me wish I would have went with better soundproof options on my basement. You will definitely be happy you did it right.

Question for ya... Did the led strips let you link them together with just the one controller? Just curious, I'd like to be able to change the color with my setup.

Keep the pics coming.

Thanks for the compliments.
Yes, you can link I believe 2 strips max. through the controller that came with them (limited to 4 amps - each 15 ft. strip draws ~2 amps), but I have seen other controllers for reasonable prices that can handle 10-15 amps.

I picked up my special order Roxul Rockboard 60 tonight:

And got the screen wall completely covered with 9 sheets:

post #117 of 234 Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Dave,
The front wall looks great!
Regarding that 2" Roxul: FWIW if you are thinking of Bass Traps >> Menards in my area had similair bales of 4" thick mineral wool in stock (aside from the thickness it appears to be identical to the Roxul brand)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #118 of 234 Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Dave,
The front wall looks great!
Regarding that 2" Roxul: FWIW if you are thinking of Bass Traps >> Menards in my area had similair bales of 4" thick mineral wool in stock (aside from the thickness it appears to be identical to the Roxul brand)

Thanks cuzed. The density of the rockboard 60 is 6.0 lb/cu ft I believe. The 3.5 in. thick bats I used in the walls was like 2.0 lbs. Im not sure what my Menards carries ill have to check. I was impressed with the pricing of $6.19 a sheet that I got on this rockboard, my local supplier was much cheaper than mail order thru some of the online acoustic supply sites. Now that u mention it I think I do remember seeing some mineral insulation at Menards, ill have to check.
Anyway I have noticed a fairly significant improvement in the acoustics of the room with this wall covered. I think ill save the remaining sheets until carpet is done and furniture is in to see where I need more absorption.
Does anybody have a good link to the laser and mirror test for finding reflection points?
post #119 of 234 Old 11-13-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Tape, mud....tape, mud....tape, mud... does it ever end???

Anyway, all corner bead is up, all joints taped and most have 1st coat of mud. Very time consuming.

AV cabinet:

Hallway to guest bedroom:

Got the door hung to the future 1/2 bathroom:

Screen wall framed and painted black:

This week I hope to finish all mudding and texture the ceiling. Then finish applying the 1/4" oak plywood to the underside of the soffits and stage top.

Dave
post #120 of 234 Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like you are making good progress. As to your question of does it ever end? It does, but it takes a while to get there as you are finding out. Just keep plugging away the end will come.

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page