Theater/Game/Family Room - Modest Renovation - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 05-24-2011, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Last night I finished installing all of the junction/low voltage boxes and drilled a few holes in the studs on the front wall to run some cable. Drilling the holes was more cumbersome and time-consuming than I thought.

Rather than drill big holes, I decided to drill smaller, 7/16" holes to run my cables to the front speakers/subs - all holes in the center of the stud and at least 1 inch away from each other. Is this okay or should I have done just a bigger hole, lets say 1 inch? I've run into a few issues when the studs are close together and I can't get my drill in between them. I think I need a right angle bit...

For the sides and rears, I may take a different approach. Since this is the first floor and I hate to drill three-four 1/2 inch holes throughout each stud, I'm think about just drilling down into the crawl space and running the wires under there. That way I can just drill one entry hole for each speaker location.

Also, I have some Polk Audio RC85i's that I plan to put in the wall as my Right/Left Sides. Unfortunately for me, the speakers came with an 'old work' method of installation by just locking into the sheetrock. I was looking for something more sturdy than that, and wanted to nail it against a stud. Look at what I found, speaker brackets, and for what price($50)!!!! I want it, but not for that much!! Any other alternatives?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ctzzqYG...sp?i=107PBSC85

I need to get the wiring run tonight so I can install insulation tomorrow/Thursday for the drywall Friday. Crunchtime!

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
Polk Monitor 75T Speakers
Polk RC85i In-wall Speakers
Polk PSW505 12" Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 05-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleyazure View Post

Rather than drill big holes, I decided to drill smaller, 7/16" holes to run my cables to the front speakers/subs - all holes in the center of the stud and at least 1 inch away from each other. Is this okay or should I have done just a bigger hole, lets say 1 inch?

As long as the cables you plan to pull will fit through the hole without needing to tug, your smaller holes are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleyazure View Post

Also, I have some Polk Audio RC85i's that I plan to put in the wall as my Right/Left Sides. Unfortunately for me, the speakers came with an 'old work' method of installation by just locking into the sheetrock. I was looking for something more sturdy than that, and wanted to nail it against a stud.

Clamping to the drywall might seem like it's a weak connection point, but don't sweat it. Those speakers aren't meant to put out anything under 80 Hz, so you'll have very little (if any) vibrations caused from the InWalls. The provided 'old work' brackets will work just fine and provide plenty of support, so you should save your money IMHO.

You're making good progress, keep it going!
post #33 of 44 Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Today, my Pops offered some help and since I'm trying to finish by Friday, I gladly accepted. He's the type of Dad that is always busy doing something, so I really think I like DIY projects because of him. When he got over to my house he even offered to do the crawlspace side of the work. We drilled a few holes in the floor stud 2x4's...after spending forever trying to get the circle of wood out of a circle bit! Running wire went a little quicker, but its on the shallow crawlspace side so there was maneuvering to do on my Dad's part.

I should receive another order from Monoprice tomorrow for some subwoofer & Cat6 cables. I'll install those tomorrow and run wire for the outdoor speakers and garage speaker.

I do have a question related to the in-wall speakers. One will be going on the insulated wall shared with the garage. Do you cut out the insulation around it? The second question is weird. Look at the picture below, its the area underneath my stairs to the 2nd floor. It's a little area with only return duct vents and no duct work between them and the floor ductwork - that area had a considerable amount of dust when we first removed the paneling. Maybe the wrong forum, but is that normal? Should I get ductwork to connect the vents and floor duct? Right where the speaker wire is wrapped is where I plan to install the in-wall speaker and I dont think a lot of dust would do much good. Should I build a small box to enclose the speaker back?

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
post #34 of 44 Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I recently put in-walls in and added insulation behind all of the speakers (including interior walls). If you are installing speakers on exterior walls - make sure you replace the vapor barrier. I had to create flexible box like shapes with the plastic and aluminum sealing tape.

I would complete the duct work - that was just lazy on someone's part
post #35 of 44 Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Scout - thanks for your input to my thread, its much appreciated!

I am actually adding 1 in-wall speaker to the left of the fireplace, so it is an exterior wall (shared with unheated garage) with kraft-faced insulation. What do you mean replace the vapor barrier? The kraft-faced insulation I thought was the vapor barrier rather than plastic vapor barrier. So I guess I just install the speaker right up against the kraft-faced insulation?

I've been trying to do some reading on the ductwork under the stairwell, and I think its common to have the void under the stairwell be part of the return duct system. I do believe I need to get a few filters to place against the return vents - that might help keep that area less dusty.

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
post #36 of 44 Old 05-27-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Drywall Day! My dad and I were up late last night finishing up all the prep-work...within the past couple of days we've run all the speaker wire and put up all the new insulation. Here's my latest update pre-drywall with more pictures after today.

Front View of Room

Home-made Cable Channel

Left Front and Subwoofer Box

In-Walls

Rears

Outdoor Speaker via Garage - other outdoor speaker going directly under crawlspace

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
post #37 of 44 Old 05-28-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Drywall took 2 guys 8 hours yesterday and another 2 hours of sanding and cleaning up today. I thought they did a really good job and were very affordable. There were only a few places that weren't perfectly level, I'm going to try and make it work.

Front View

Back View

Front Outlets/Boxes - not completely flush

Not level with doorway frame

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
post #38 of 44 Old 09-22-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Anddd its been awhile...and the room isn't complete yet! haha Could quite possibly be the world's slowest family room renovation, but I've been busy with other things too (2 separate water leaks on the line coming from the meter to the house, 5+ big trees down in the backyard from Irene, New HVAC System installed)

Here's a few pic's of the latest progress:

Fireplace refaced (dry-stacked stone):

After painting the ceiling with 4 gallons & 4 coats (SW Brilliance and me being a noob maybe??? but its still far from perfect), walls painted with SW Stone Lion. Hardwoods to be installed tomorrow!

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
post #39 of 44 Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Liked: 10
Just went through this thread today. I'm glad you got a lower-profile ceiling fan. The fire place looks more modern too! While your progress may be slow, it is coming along.
post #40 of 44 Old 10-30-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

The progress I like to see! It's been a long, first renovation but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hope ya like it, I definitely like how its turned out.

Some of the latest improvements

- Hardwoods Professionally Installed - fresh dog scratches already! lol
- Another coat of wall paint required due to sloppy hands on the hardwood installation.
- Wall plates installed
- Window Trim painted & installed
- Blinds installed
- In-wall Speakers installed
- Furniture put back in the room
- Audio & Video hooked up and installed

Left to do:
- Door Trim
- Crown Moulding
- Baseboard and 1/4 inch
- TV Wall mounted - thinking against ultra slim mount because future curtains could block screen

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
post #41 of 44 Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Looks good. Having done several DIY projects I know how you feel about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. A very good feeling to reach that point for sure.

If you have not done crown molding before just give yourself some time to get used to the process. There was quite a learning curve for me in doing it. Now that I know how to cut crown I really don't want to do it. LOL.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #42 of 44 Old 07-11-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

I figured it was time for an update, only about 3 years later and 4 years after the inaugural post. The project has been complete for quite some time and did take far too long, but I did learn a million and one new things.

1) Maintaining/renovating a home is no joke.

2) Trust @hanesian & @RTROSE , they give some good advice. 6 months or so after finishing up the entire job, I parked in the garage one rainy day and noticed water coming into the garage. Through the second floor right along the cinder block chimney, into the first floor garage. I periodically check heavy rainstorms after that, & sure enough water is getting into the house from the flashing around the chimney. That has to be why the insulation was black around the chimney. Since then, we have fixed the flashing, which appears to have fixed the moisture issue, but we didn't replace the new insulation we put in and we still need to repair some 2x4's around the floor and wall of the chimney. I assume the original issue had been going on since the build 30 years ago. I read that if I fix the moisture issue mold should not continue to grow, so I'm hoping the little damage under the sheet rock that may have been done in the year or so since installation will eventually die without moisture.

3) Never 'enjoy' a project until its complete...or it will take at least 10x longer to completely finish it.

4) Crown molding is wayyy harder than it looks...why are walls and ceilings not right angles?!?!

Here are some final pictures with crown molding. Please ignore the hdmi cable running along the wall! I was going to remove the cable and can't remove the cable from the TV because of the ultra-slim mount, so I need to take the TV off the mount and the wife is pregnant, so no help with that!

I've upgraded the receiver to Yamaha RX675, which I love. Its fantastic for 2 zones, and the Yamaha app is great! I also upgraded to Polk Audio R70's and Polk PSW505, and I also highly recommend both. Home movies are awesome and we can really jam out with these speakers and sub. We've also renovated our outdoor living area to a bluestone patio, with hopes of putting a projector out there to go with the already installed Polk outdoor speakers!

Once again, many thanks to all those that helped throughout the process.

steve1106 likes this.

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
post #43 of 44 Old 07-13-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Looks good! Glad you are enjoying it as that is why we build these things. I still go down in my basement and get a smile thinking to myself "I have a theater in my basement." Thanks for the mention and shout out, glad I could help you out.

Regards,

RTROSE
bentleyazure likes this.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #44 of 44 Old 07-14-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Glad I subscribed to your thread so I could get pinged when you did your biannual update. Even more glad to hear you have apparently finally identified, and resolved, the original source of the moisture/mold problem. Good job. NOW you can rest easy!

Your finished room turned out great, by the way. Congrats - for the good renovation work, and for the new baby! The latter will keep you worried and busy much longer than the former! I hope your wife gives your kids as nice a father's day present as mine used to give ours when they were young!

bentleyazure likes this.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page