Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay View Post

If the application is mainly movies may I suggest that you consider a projector and screen for the display? A decent project and screen can be had for same dollars as a new tv and the difference in the viewing experience an't be compared - like a mouse in the room (TV) or an elephant (projector).

NO DOUBT!

I'm not even done installing my projector and just seeing the Test image was breathtaking.

Flat Screens are nice. My parents just put a sweet one above the fireplace.

A projector is an event. Especially if he likes sports. SUPER BOWL.

A Projector is life altering.

Epson 8350 w/ 92'' screen. Game Set Match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 12-11-2010, 12:13 AM

Liked: 16
Projectors are great and I own a few myself. However I am always a bit irritated when the obvious issue of ambient light is brought up yet reflections are rarely mentioned.

I'm not overly critical and I find projected images in a room with white walls unacceptable. Its ironic because most people say you can project on a white wall which is true but that usually means the rest of the room is white which in turn washes out the image with reflections.

Good choice on going with a flat panel. I would also suggest a projector later on if you can properly setup the room for it.
post #33 of 36 Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Will do. I'll post after Christmas. I'll try to get a pic of him looking happy too.
A million thanks!
post #34 of 36 Old 01-02-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

I want to thank everyone for the advice that you have given to my wife. She did an amazing job and it was a real surprise. Now it is time for me to hook everything up.

I need some advice about connecting the components. I'm going to use HDMI cables. According to the directions I need to use the HDMI to connect the TV to the Receiver and the Blueray to the the Receiver. Do I also need to connect the Blueray to the TV using HDMI? I will also need to use optical digital to connect the to to receiver. Are there any other cables that I will need?

I did not wire the living room for surround sound. Is there a way to make speakers wireless?
post #35 of 36 Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katdixon58 View Post

I want to thank everyone for the advice that you have given to my wife. She did an amazing job and it was a real surprise. Now it is time for me to hook everything up.

I need some advice about connecting the components. I'm going to use HDMI cables. According to the directions I need to use the HDMI to connect the TV to the Receiver and the Blueray to the the Receiver. Do I also need to connect the Blueray to the TV using HDMI? I will also need to use optical digital to connect the to to receiver. Are there any other cables that I will need?

I did not wire the living room for surround sound. Is there a way to make speakers wireless?

Sources (Bluray, cable/satellite, game system) out to receiver in, then the receiver out to the TV in. Connect them via HDMI. As long as your receiver and such passes audio via hdmi, you wont need the optical cable.

There is wireless speaker setups out there available if you decide to go that route. Though you'll typically have better results with wired. Even the wireless ones still have power wires and such so.
post #36 of 36 Old 01-02-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Pretty much what 3in2out says.

I don't know of anyone who has been happy with wireless surrounds. Try to find some way to get wires back there, even if you need to go through the basement or attic. You can also run it under the edges of the carpet, or under the baseboards as long as you avoid doorways.

The receiver she chose will handle all the audio decoding, so you only need to connect the HDMI cables from the sat/cable box and BluRay player to the receiver inputs. You will probably need to assign the HDMI connectors to the proper inputs in order to get it working properly. The output goes to the TV. You will want to turn off the TV speakers and let the receiver do the audio work. You will control all switching from the receiver and the TV simply becomes a display device.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page