Billybar's Basement Theater etc.. Build - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #271 of 286 Old 07-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I love the outdoor movie! I really want to do that. I may just have to do that before the summer is over. did you just hang a sheet on your garage door? I don't have the funds to buy an outdoor screen and have been thinking about doing some sort of DYI screen. but I could just do something in the drive way and try the sheet method on the door maybe? Where did you have your projector setup? I had even though maybe of hanging sheet with the door open and trying to setup the PJ behind the screen. That way it's not out in the area where kids could potentially get knocked over or spilt on by a drunk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 286 Old 07-30-2015, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yup! it's just a cheap thin sheet. I bought it at Walmart, they sell it large enough to cover the entire garage with one sheet. I believe it was called "bleached muslin fabric". It was about $30. I think I got 8 or 9 yards to span the width of the garage opening and it was 10' wide which was enough to get from the top of the garage to the bottom. I had the projector and sound system set up in the garage so it worked like a rear projection and it was protected from the kids and drunks
post #273 of 286 Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

OK I can see that now. You did do the rear projection thing like I was thinking. I may have to give this a go! Thanks for the info on the sheet. I need to go find a deceint but in expensive sound setup. I was thinking like a PC speaker setup with sub. I'll be running movies digitally off of a mini PC or a laptop. I guess I'll have to figure out how to run the sound. What did you go with?

Or I suppose I could find a cheap home theater in a box setup? that would probably be more then a PC speaker setup.

Last edited by gec5741; 07-30-2015 at 01:53 PM.
post #274 of 286 Old 07-30-2015, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

I used a laptop and old stereo system. The speakers actually sounded decent and being in the garage amplified it nicely.

This is the setup. Nice and simple and easy to setup/take down.
post #275 of 286 Old 07-30-2015, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Very nice I like it! I may go look at some pc setups cuz they are cheap and I don't have any old stereo stuff laying around unfortunately. Wish I had the money to get a new theater in a box for my living room and just use my old stuff I have now for the outdoor theater. Found this for 65 bucks at best buy. Maybe OK? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech...&skuId=1215025

Or just look for a better 2.1 setup with better fronts maybe. Welp you've given me much to think about. Thanks! Looking forward to an outdoor movie again.
post #276 of 286 Old 07-30-2015, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Very nice I like it! I may go look at some pc setups cuz they are cheap and I don't have any old stereo stuff laying around unfortunately. Wish I had the money to get a new theater in a box for my living room and just use my old stuff I have now for the outdoor theater. Found this for 65 bucks at best buy. Maybe OK? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech...&skuId=1215025

Or just look for a better 2.1 setup with better fronts maybe. Welp you've given me much to think about. Thanks! Looking forward to an outdoor movie again.
Excellent...that's better than the sound system I use for sure and the price is right. Hope you get your movie in soon. Let me know how it goes and what everyone thinks. I am hoping for at least one more before the end of the summer.
post #277 of 286 Old 07-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

I will hit you up when I do! I'd like to get a movie in or two before end of summer then maybe a Monday night football night or two before it get's to cold here in Chicago!
post #278 of 286 Old 10-26-2015, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

I've been chipping away at the bathroom and trying to get it behind me. It's not very exciting I know but it is nice to almost have a completely new and finished bathroom in the basement. Other then painting and trim work and adding some built ins it is fully functional.

Floor Tiled: These tiles were on clearance for $5/box. It cost less than $20 for the tile. The grout was more expensive This did wonders for WAF

Vanity/Sink/Faucet and toilet flange installed as well as a paint job. Oh and also a new light above vanity. The flange had me nervous being on tile and concrete. I had never drilled through porcelain before and was nervous about cracking tile. I bought a 3/8" diamond tile bit and it worked well. I used slow speed on drill and a spray bottle with water to keep things cool. It took a few minutes for each hole but they came out perfect. Then I used hammer drill into concrete under tile to pre-drill for tapcons and then screwed in 4 2 3/4" tapcons. That flange is going no where!

Trap/Vent. I have to admit, this one had me perplexed. First off, I talked to the builder of my house to ask about the 1/2 bath rough in. I asked about the vent and they said it is not directly vented and that I had to "wet vent" with an AAV (Air admittance valve or Studor Vent). No biggie, I noticed my kitchen had one of these as well. So I grabbed a studor vent. After I installed the vanity and saw how close the sink drain was to stub out I was like "HTF am I going to fit in a studor valve in this space???" I stared at this for a long time and had no clue. I went to the store and started buying every elbow angle and part I thought might work. I really didn't want to use one of those flexible traps if I could get away with it. So after messing around with all the parts this is what I came up with. I turned the stub out with a 45 degree elbow and then used one additional 90 degree elbow so I could make a turn that left enough space for the studor vent. I then used a Plastic Center Outlet Tee and punched out the baffle in the middle so I was able to easily connect to the other plastic pieces while keeping length to an absolute minimum. And then studor vent was attached to the tee opening. After all was said and done it works great. No leaks and an issue free drain.

More shopping this past weekend. Toilet, door, base molding, chair rail, crown molding and lumber for the built in shelves. Everything that will be needed to complete the bathroom.

Installing pre-hung door. Pretty quick and painless

Door install finished, lockset added and mirror hung

Toilet installed and functioning. This is one of those "2 flush" toilets where each flush uses different amount of water per flush. There is actually a I and II on the top of the tank for flushing

Up next will be door casing molding, base molding, chair rail and crown and then will finish it out with built in shelves.
post #279 of 286 Old 10-28-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 79
barlav lives!

Your work looks great! The bathroom is a great asset for sure - great to have in that space. I'm planning a master bath reno now...starting to realize how much behind-the-scenes work goes into it...you've made it look easy!

Out of curiosity - do you have prior tiling experience? I'm trying to decide if I dare tackle some of that...

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #280 of 286 Old 10-28-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Barlav,
Love seeing all the progress... Looking sweet.
How big is the theater area? I didn't see any mention of dimensions.
post #281 of 286 Old 10-28-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 94
It's a bit late now, but that vanity fixture looks too high. I have some that are also higher than I'd like. But not enough to go hacking up drywall!

I've got one of those vents under a laundry room sink. Which I noticed because the plumber had FORGOTTEN TO INSTALL IT. Wasn't a natural gas leak causing the smell, it was the stubbed open end where the valve was supposed to go! Note, not all jurisdictions allow for using that kind of vent (why, I don't know).

Still, nice job!
post #282 of 286 Old 10-28-2015, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Ben I had a little tile experience but not too much. This was actually my first floor but I had done back splash and wall tile in the past. Floor was pretty easy imho. Hardest thing was cutting tile around the toilet drain but hey, it gave me an excuse to go buy an angle grinder

Good eye wkearney99! The vanity fixture height irks me. I got one that hangs down a little but still too high. I didn't think far enough ahead when placing electrical box that's for sure...oh well, doesn't irk me enough to do anything about it at this point. Apparently AAV's are allowed in my area since they are also in my kitchen and my neighbor's houses have them as well. Don't know why they just don't tie everything in to a real vent but whatever.

NosferatuOMeGa, here are some rough dimensions of theater area. It's about 15 feet from screen wall to to rear wall and the immediate theater area width (where the recliners will go) runs about 20 feet across but it will remain open to the rest of the room as well.
post #283 of 286 Old 12-15-2015, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

I know it's been a while and, while it's nothing too exciting to report, there is some progress. I've been settling in with all the drywall mudding and taping and it's going to take me a long time! Every now and then I will take a break and do more trim work in the bathroom. At least I am close to having one thing totally complete! Since my last post I have installed the base molding, chair rail and have built the shelves that will recess into the wall. I am in the process of adding crown molding now and the trim molding around the shelves. Just about complete with the bathroom. Not sure if I need to post drywall pictures since it's about as mundane as it gets. Can't wait to have it behind me someday. For now here is the bathroom progress:

In the process of making one of the built in shelves

One of the shelf locations

One of the shelves installed and the chair rail. Also, I made an access panel out of case molding and drywall to cover the water shutoff access. I have it held in place with velcro currently. It seems to be working well but I may end up using magnets in the long run. The tape is marking stud locations for crown molding nailing in the near future

The other shelf installed

Like I said, nothing too exciting. But I am still chipping away.
post #284 of 286 Old 12-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Very nice! I like those little touches like the inset shelving. Adds a real nice touch to the room. Are you planning on staining them or painting them?

As for the tapeing and mudding goes I am glad I skipped doing that myself and paid money for someone else to do it. He had it done in 3 days. BUT I DID HAVE TO DO ALL THE CLEANUP. That was one of the worse parts of my entire build alone.
post #285 of 286 Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks gec5741! My vote was for stain for all trimwork and shelves but I got outvoted by the women who wanted all white. Oh well. Less work for me in the long run I suppose. I am getting faster with taping/mudding as I go. I don't dislike it, it is kind of relaxing but at a certain point I just want it to be over. Depending on how far I get and how happy I am with the results I may call in some help to get it over with so I can move on with the fun stuff!
post #286 of 286 Old 12-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlav View Post
Thanks gec5741! My vote was for stain for all trimwork and shelves but I got outvoted by the women who wanted all white. Oh well. Less work for me in the long run I suppose. I am getting faster with taping/mudding as I go. I don't dislike it, it is kind of relaxing but at a certain point I just want it to be over. Depending on how far I get and how happy I am with the results I may call in some help to get it over with so I can move on with the fun stuff!
It looks like pine or a softer wood. Paint it!

I agree on taping/mudding. it is relaxing but you want it to be over cause it sucks so much time.

MY Build in Progress >>> My Home Theater Build
Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500, KEF 3005 5.1, Marantz SR6003
HT: Marantz SR6010 AVR, 2-PSA XS30se subs, Samsung 65" JS8500 4k, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, Venere Center and Walls, Sony 77es CD changer, Sony BDP-BX2 Blue Ray
In storage: Mirage M7si, Mirage LF-150, Marantz SR7200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar