1Likes

post #151 of 213 Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by utbigrod40 View Post

Hey, Barlav, how did the metal cross bracing help with the sponginess above? Still a ways away from finishing the basement but would love to shore up my floor as it shakes the whole entertainment center when my 3 yr old jumps around.

Thx
Brad

Hey Brad, unfortunately they didn't make much of a difference. I figured it was worth a shot since they were cheap and easy to install. I did notice a difference in other sections of the floors above when there was a wall under them in the basement but the metal cross braces did little to nothing for the room above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 213 Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Some more progress this weekend. Pulled most of the wire for the outlets remaining in the theater. I think I am going to run out of wire yet again. To date that will make 1500' of wire and counting. I will probably just need another 50' or so to complete the power bridge and final run to the breaker box for the last outlets.

I ordered a new network switch for basement and received it Friday. I decided to take a detour from wiring outlets and get the office upstairs and media room in the basement connected network/conduit wise. My plan was to create a network jack in my office that I can hook to the basement media room. My main workhorse desktop will continue to reside in the office and I will be keeping the cable modem and wireless router there also for the time being. I will run a cable from one of the upstairs router's switch jacks to the new switch in the basement that I will use for all the new networking that will exist in the new space. If I ever relocate the modem/router to the basement then I will use the new jack to get the networking back upstairs.

I saw where the coax cable entered the upstairs room from the basement and used that as a reference for drilling the hole from the basement to below the location of where the new jack will be. Thankfully I got it right the first time so everything is kept inside the walls.

The trickiest part of this whole job was getting the smurf tube connector into the bottom of the box after it was installed in the wall. I used a coat hanger to grab it through the hole and, with some help from down below, my wife pushed up the smurf tube and I guided it into the box and used some needle nosed pliers to pull up the connector until it snapped into place.

Then I got to try the shop vac method of sucking string through the smurf tube. It worked like a charm. I didn't end up needing the string after all though, it was easier to push the cat6 right through the conduit. It didn't have any ends yet so it went through pretty easy. But it is good to know the shop vac method works well!

I am waiting for a punch down tool now before I finish up this jack and setup the switch in the new media room.

The new roughed in box with the smurf tube connector snapped into place and the Cat6 pulled through

The cover plate that will be used with the keystone once I get the punch down tool and wire it up

The smurf tube run

The end of the line

And the new switch. I took it out and tested it to make sure it was all good.

Next up, will finish up this jack as well as the outlet wiring and power bridge before going full out on the rest of the conduit and low voltage wire/cable pulling.
post #153 of 213 Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Finished pulling all the wire and completed the powerbridge. Also completed new Cat6 jack and have the new switch running to the basement. I installed all low voltage wall boxes as well (5 in all). It is great having a wired network connection down there now and to play with it I fired up the cardio station as the temporary jukebox and hooked it up to my stereo system down there. This is a great thing to have down there. It is so easy to pull up music on demand. I found 2 more touch screens on eBay for a good price so I grabbed them. I should have them next week. These will be the actual touch screen jukeboxes. One will go in the gym and one will go in the theater area. Not very exciting pictures but it wouldn't be one of my posts without them:

The media box for the projector. This will have 2" conduit running to it containing HDMI and Cat6 cables for now and possibly more in the future.

Wire pulled to all the outlet boxes in theater

Power bridge completed and tested good:

The cardio station temporarily converted to a jukebox to test out the new wired network connection. I have moved the server into the media closet now so this touch screen is connected using 25 foot Serial cable and 25 foot VGA cable and works quite nicely. When all is said and done I will have two of these touch screens (one in the gym and one in the theater) that will run out of some good quality in wall speakers in each of the areas.

Next up will be installing the outlets and connecting to breaker box. Then full out on conduit work and low voltage runs followed by duct work, bathroom plumbing and then a ton of insulating work that I am not looking forward too but, once complete, drywall time!!
post #154 of 213 Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

This weekend got away from me and didn't get as much done as I had hoped. I completed the wiring to the breaker box for plugs in the theater room and pigtailed all the outlets but haven't installed them yet. Only thing left with the electrical project is installing the outlets in the boxes and then it will be officially complete.

I did get out for some shopping though. First, I finally pulled the trigger on a new remote. I got the Harmony One. Since I already had an older Harmony there was virtually no setup. Was up and running in a matter of minutes.

And then I hit the store for conduit. I picked up 100 feet of 2" pvc conduit and 12 90 degree elbows. Not sure if it will be enough for all the places I need it but it should be close.

Only pictures I have today are the new purchases

The 'Harmony One'

The conduit etc..
post #155 of 213 Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Officially completed all electrical work over the weekend and started in on hanging conduit.

First conduit I installed was from the media room to the touch screen being used as aerobics video station. I am using 2" rigid conduit. There was a bit of a learning curve for me with this. Installing was easy, running the wires through it not so much

I needed to run VGA, Serial, Audio and USB through the conduit that contained 4 curves. After a few failed attempts I thought to tape the wires together instead of just tying together with mason's string. That helped a lot but the wire bundle was still too bulky around the curves. I ended up taping all wires together but staggered each of the connectors about 6" apart keeping the whole bundle thinner. This was the trick that allowed me to get it through.

I also realized there is a right and a wrong direction to pull the wires through the conduit. I, of course, chose the wrong direction. I was still successful but it would've been easier if I had chosen the right direction to begin with. Where the pieces of conduit were connected there is always a flared end and the regular end. When going in the direction of flared to regular the wires would get caught on the edge of the regular that was connected into the flared end. When going the other way this wouldn't have occurred. So I will be mindful of this when doing future runs.

I have pictures of the first run of conduit but haven't had a chance to upload them yet but will do as soon as I can.

Also received 2 new touch screens in the mail for the 2 jukebox locations and also got the new iPad as a new toy that will also be able to be used as one of the jukebox remote controls.
post #156 of 213 Old 03-19-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Electrical officially done and labeled. I will eventually cover the sub panel with some kind of hinged frame that I will hang some kind of gym themed poster or picture on:

First run of conduit from media room to touch screen. I was able to run the longest part of the conduit right inside the steel beam. I only used 2 brackets to attach at each end and it's pretty solid. I attached the sections together with conduit cement. I know a lot of people recommend running initial cables outside the conduit and only used conduit for future but my thinking is that, if I ever don't need the wiring that is in there now, I might be able to reuse it somewhere else and not have to orphan it in the wall forever:

The wires going from conduit into the media wall box:
post #157 of 213 Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Weekend flew by and, as usual, didn't make it through everything I wanted to complete but I did finish all 2" conduit in gym area. I've used up about 60 feet of it already. I've run from the gym tv and from the coax distribution center to the unfinished area where the workshop is. I also added a small section to get from media room to jukebox that will be in the gym. Only took about a 10" section. It was pretty challenging completing the long runs in the gym so I tackled them first knowing they would be the hardest. Thankfully the rigid conduit was flexible enough to get it where it needed to be without having to cut and patch with couplings. I dry fitted everything first and then cemented together when I was satisfied.

The 2" runs to the Gym Tv and the coax distribution center. Initial plan is to run 2 CAT6 to Gym Tv. One will be for TV itself and the other will be for a streaming device (at this point most likely a Boxee). Will also run a coax cable from the distribution center to the gym tv in smurf tube. Will run 2 coax cables for now from the distribution center into the media room for two cable boxes. 1 for the projector and one for the additional flat screen in the theater area.

The ends of the conduit. This gets me into the unfinished space where the workshop is. It's only about 8 feet into the media room from there

The very short run from the media room to the gym's touchscreen jukebox location. The orange box there will house a VGA and USB cable the will connect to the touch screen on the wall to the left

A shot of the 2" gym runs

Next up will be to make 2" runs in theater area which will complete 2" conduit. I will follow that up with making all necessary smurf tube runs for surround speakers and in wall speakers for jukeboxes and that will be it for the conduit stage.
post #158 of 213 Old 04-09-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Moving pretty slowly the last few weeks but moving nonetheless. Completed all the 2" conduit runs. This included the projector run, the second jukebox run and the entrances to the media room. Only thing left conduit wise is smurf tube for surround speakers and jukebox in wall speakers. I need to finalize surround locations first. After a lot of contemplating I have decided to go with in ceiling speakers for side surrounds and in wall speakers for rear surrounds. The built ins will provide a better look and better functionality (location wise) for my space than regular speakers hanging from walls/ceilings. I may take a hit on sound quality but I am hoping to find decent enough speakers where that won't be too much of an issue. I will most likely build boxes for them also to optimize sound quality. Since I have a Klipsch system I will be most likely going with some Klipsch in walls/ceiling speakers.

Some pics of the completed conduit:
The projector run: This runs to behind screen wall and from there the wires will run to the media room without conduit

Conduit entering media room. This consists of 3 small pieces of conduit running from the unfinished space into the media room. Almost everything will come through these to reach the equipment. The wires already there are for the touch screen jukebox in the theater.

The other side of the conduit entering the media room. The clamps are screwed in nice and tight holding each run solidly in place.

This is the touch screen jukebox run. The wires straight across coming out of that media box run up through the 2" conduit and then down into the media room. When all is said and done I will neaten up the wires before entering into the media room and tack them to the studs etc..

Next up: Going to finalize surround locations once and for all, complete the smurf tube runs and then knock off the duct work to get that over with.
post #159 of 213 Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Completed conduit and started the duct work over the weekend. Some pics of the progress:

The smurf tube runs for the Cat6 cable from upstairs and for the in wall speakers for the touchscreen jukebox. They end just before the 2" rigid conduit leading into media room.

From the back

The smurf tube run to the surround speaker locations. The side surrounds will be installed in the ceiling and the rear surrounds will be in the wall on the back. I have picked out the surround speakers also. The side surrounds in the ceiling will be Klipsch CDT-5800-C II and the rear surrounds in the wall will be Klipsch R-5800-W II. These are the best match for my fronts/center and they both have adjustable tweeters so I can tweak them if needed.

Cleaned up the coax splitter by routing all the wires through the top plate. Also added a single smurf tube run from the splitter to the tv in the Gym and ran coax through to it.

The 10" return air duct underway.

Next up will finish installing duct work and adding bathroom plumbing.

post #160 of 213 Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Everything looks very neat and tidy. Nice work barlav - you certainly have a huge project going here! Drop me a line the next time you're headed to Albany!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #161 of 213 Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Ben, will do. I will be visiting Albany this summer a few times. Would love to check out your slick new theater!
post #162 of 213 Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

HVAC work is officially complete. I was able to give it a good test yesterday. We had a warm day so I tested it with the A/C. I opened up all the new vents and return and walked around the basement and house with it running and all was well. The furnace seems to handle the new supplies/return with no issue as expected. I have closed all the new supplies and return for now. I don't like the new return being right next to the water tank so I don't want to use until I have the drywall up so the water tank is on the other side of the room where the return is. I have taped plastic wrap over the return vent itself to make sure nothing gets through.

Some pics of the new duct work:

The return grille. I only added this now because I have cats that I would like to keep out!

The 10" return. I went liberal with the mastic to provide a nice air tight seal all around.

One of the new 6" supplies in the Gym. I have it attached temporarily for now just so I can close the damper. I also have dampers on all take off collars attached to the plenum also.

One of the new supplies connected to the plenum. I also used mastic material on these connections too to get the best seal.

Some new materials recently purchased for the upcoming plumbing project and more theater accessories:

I am going to install this on my hot water tank for more peace of mind. I tested this when I got it and it is pretty cool. The sensor activated from one drop of water and the valve closed right up. I am going to buy another one of these designed for the washing machine that is on the first floor also which is over the gym in the basement.

Latest Monoprice shipment. 300 feet of speaker wire and an assortment of media plates for banana plugs and audio/video.

Up next the bathroom plumbing. I hit the store yesterday and bought all the supplies needed to complete that and to install the hot water tank valve. One thing that I really like about HVAC and plumbing is how cheap the materials are! It's rare that I can get out of the store under $100.

Until next time....
post #163 of 213 Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlav View Post

Up next the bathroom plumbing. I hit the store yesterday and bought all the supplies needed to complete that and to install the hot water tank valve. One thing that I really like about HVAC and plumbing is how cheap the materials are! It's rare that I can get out of the store under $100.

Everything is looking good! I will be interested to hear if you got ALL your plumbing supplies in one visit. I seem to remember when I was doing plumbing that I went back to the store about 3 times a day because I was missing some sort of fitting!
post #164 of 213 Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brausch View Post

Everything is looking good! I will be interested to hear if you got ALL your plumbing supplies in one visit. I seem to remember when I was doing plumbing that I went back to the store about 3 times a day because I was missing some sort of fitting!

Haha, yeah I thought I had everything but since then I have found that I was planning on using from previous plumbing jobs is unusable (all dried up) so I needed to return for that. And, so far, I have completed the sink drain and I was missing temporary caps that I also needed to return for. Who knows what else I am missing when it comes time to do the water lines. I am convinced that it is not possible to get out with everything the first time!
post #165 of 213 Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlav View Post

I am convinced that it is not possible to get out with everything the first time!

I agree! That's why I saw humor in your post saying you had everything for a plumbing job.

Good luck and keep posting pictures!
post #166 of 213 Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I notice your pot lights have some definit light paterns to them. Im not sure of your profession etc, but im an electrician, id guess your using a PAL bulb. If you were to swap these out for a BR bulb, say BR30/BR40 (depending on trim) the room would light up evenly, as the BR is not a focused spot like the PAL
post #167 of 213 Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N49ATV View Post

I notice your pot lights have some definit light paterns to them. Im not sure of your profession etc, but im an electrician, id guess your using a PAL bulb. If you were to swap these out for a BR bulb, say BR30/BR40 (depending on trim) the room would light up evenly, as the BR is not a focused spot like the PAL

Yes I am using PAR bulbs. I wanted to use BR bulbs but I didn't like how they extended past the bottom of the IC rated fixtures I am using. I have also noticed the light patterns but they don't bother me enough at this point to switch out the bulbs. It's good to know that I could switch some point down the line if I really wanted to though if it became bothersome to me.
post #168 of 213 Old 06-04-2012, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your basement's really coming along! Your workmanship looks great. I'll be following along with your progress.
post #169 of 213 Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Once again this year the good weather started and the basement project stopped. I can't believe it's been 2 months since my last post. This has been another busy summer and outdoor projects are taking up any available free time. I bought a spa so now the project has been building a patio for it and doing all the wiring which is no small task since almost all my summer weekends are booked! I am hoping to have it in place before the end of the summer. I will post some pictures of it at some point and then of course will pick back up on the big project at some point soon. Until then....
post #170 of 213 Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Summer project complete. Patio built and new spa up and running!

New patio built for the spa:

New Spa Delivered and ready for use:

Next year patio will be expanded but for now only made it as big as it needed to be for the spa. For now, it's time to get back to working on the basement. Time to figure out where I left off...
post #171 of 213 Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Can't wait to see more. Glad to see another Central New Yorker on the site!
post #172 of 213 Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM

Hi Barlav...I was excited to see your build move forward. Back in February, I was in the process of planning my basement build and visited your thread frequently. And then...you stopped! I am in the process of hanging drywall. Just wanted to let you know I am still looking forward to seeing your build move forward...as I'm sure you are!

Best,

John
post #173 of 213 Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Great job! I love reading build threads and I can just see the dedication you're putting into everything. Keep it up.
post #174 of 213 Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 125
post #175 of 213 Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 75
...crickets...

Barlav????
biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #176 of 213 Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM

Maybe he's busy putting the final touches on his build! I, for one, can't understand how people have the time to keep these build threads up to date while also making progress on the build itself, holding a full time job, and possibly being a spouse and parent. I couldn't maintain a build thread. Maybe I'll create one when my build is complete.

John
post #177 of 213 Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

haha Ben, I'm still here!

Thanks for the comments guys. Haven't had much time to get on here lately because of most of the things that John mentions....but now things are starting to die down and I'm getting some time to work on the build. Haven't made a ton of progress since last update but I have completed a few things. I framed in spots for 2 recessed shelves in the bathroom and also completed the bathroom plumbing and have all the water lines hooked up to the main. I also added an auto shutoff valve with sensor to hot water tank. I am currently adding a vapor barrier to wine cellar room. I am quickly closing in on the drywall phase. Just need to finish up fire stops, insulate floor joists and outside stud walls and then it is drywall time. I will try to get pictures of the most recent progress up soon!
post #178 of 213 Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Here are the latest pics.

The hot water tank auto shutoff valve with sensor. I am going to add another one of these to my first floor laundry room for my washing machine. They seem to work well.

This is the valve on the way into the tank

This is the controller that allows testing/resetting of the valve:

The sensor is under the tank. It activated with one drop of water when I tested it so now I have peace of mind.

The completed 1/2 bath plumbing rough in for sink/toilet.

Wine cellar vapor barrier under way. The scattered pieces of tyvek tape are covering the staples I used to attach the 6 mil. I wish I wrapped the floor joists before I added blocking since this is kind of a pain.
post #179 of 213 Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Thanks for the update...I noticed that you have quite a bit of slope from your sink waste line to your waste line to the floor. Isnt it supposed to only slope like 1/8" per foot? If you have too much slope, I fear that it will draw water away from the P trap, thus letting in sewer gas.

I have to say, that this is the first time I have seen PVC piping for water supply...I am from Indiana..we dont see that in our parts...Usually copper or the new PEX stuff.
post #180 of 213 Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Thanks for the update...I noticed that you have quite a bit of slope from your sink waste line to your waste line to the floor. Isnt it supposed to only slope like 1/8" per foot? If you have too much slope, I fear that it will draw water away from the P trap, thus letting in sewer gas.
I have to say, that this is the first time I have seen PVC piping for water supply...I am from Indiana..we dont see that in our parts...Usually copper or the new PEX stuff.

As far as I know there is no maximum for slope just a minimum to make sure the water makes it to the drain. If you think about the slope from an upstairs drain when it enters the wall after the p-trap it drops straight down and I haven't had any sewer gas problems elsewhere so I can't imagine this would cause any problem with the way I have it.

PVC is pretty easy to work with although PEX would be even easier! I wish my house had it but for now I am stuck with PVC.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page