Billybar's Basement Theater etc.. Build - Page 8 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #211 of 227 Old 06-12-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I have a Passive Radon 'system'/set up in my house now. I am in the process of finishing my basement.

It sounds like you put the fan in yourself? Is it a fan that runs 100% of the time? Is it basically just cutting PVC pipe & inserting the fan unit, and plugging it in?

Any recollection of what fan you used?
Hey kmhvball,
I installed the fan myself. I used a Fantech HP2190. It runs 100% of the time. It is pretty easy to install. Just cut the pipe to fit the fan, insert the fan unit and plug it in. You may need to reduce the connection from the fan to the pipe. I needed 2 4" to 3" flexible reducers to install on my existing pipe. I would also recommend installing a manometer so you will have a visual indicator that the fan is running. Mine is installed in the basement so I can see it whenever I need to. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 227 Old 10-30-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 76
updateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateup date????

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #213 of 227 Old 11-02-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Tis the season for more basement work so it's back to drywalling. Here are some pics of the progress over the past few weeks. The bathroom and wine cellar are done and I am just about finished with the media closet under the stairs (don't have pictures of that yet).

Pics of the wine cellar insulation prior to drywalling

The wine cellar drywalled

Bathroom drywalled

The "Halloween Garage"
Had some fun for halloween and setup my garage as a rear projection theater. It was a big hit!!

The screen

The projector/stereo/laptop

The end result as it appeared in the driveway as people were walking up:
DavidinCT and thestoneman like this.

Last edited by barlav; 11-02-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #214 of 227 Old 12-08-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Back in action and milestone hit: All drywall in left half of basement hung. Includes wine cellar, bathroom, media closet and gym. Some of the most recent pics:

Media closet (aka under stairs):

The cut out is where the rack will go and the equipment will face out into the theater

Gym back wall insulated and drywalled

Gym side wall insulated and drywalled

Gym area with all drywall hung. I am going to either hang a large picture or some gym style mirrors to hide the breaker box and coax hub.

Supply vent added to wall between gym and workshop/utility room

Practiced some taping/mudding/sanding. I much prefer doing this than hanging the drywall itself. This was a good wall to practice on. It had a butt and a factory joint. It came out real good when doing the "light test"

Up next is drywalling the theater room. Before I start on that though I am going to run 4 more conduits in the ceiling for speakers for Dolby Atmos. See, I knew I was going slow for a reason. I needed to wait for the next big thing

Thanks for looking! Hope to updated more frequently now that I am moving again on all of this.
DavidinCT likes this.
post #215 of 227 Old 12-09-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Nice work barlav! Drywall is a huge milestone. And the taping looks good too!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #216 of 227 Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Some quality work, can't wait to see this finished.
post #217 of 227 Old 01-12-2015, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

More drywall hanging. Finished the ceiling in the theater area. The distance from side to side was about 118" which made the use of the ten footers just right and no butt joints in the ceiling. The lift made the job easy and I was able to hang all these pieces by myself.

Latest pics:

Ceiling in progress

Last piece in place. This piece was too narrow to tack in place before cutting out for the can lights so I kept the lift in place while I did the outside ones and then I was able to tack in the piece enough to remove the lift prior to cutting put the center light

Ceiling Complete! Did I use too many lights??? It looks like a frigging runway. I have them on two zones and on dimmers thankfully but I think I could've gotten away with fewer.

Yesterday I insulated all of the soffits and the ceiling above where the screen will go. This was more for sound deadening and a little for r-value along the outside. I am also hoping it will help prevent any rattles of the can lights due to speakers/subwoofers.

Next step is going to be using all the scraps you can see in the photo above and complete the soffits (side and bottoms). Looking at what I have left drywall wise and the amount I need to cover it is going to be really close. I might need to grab another 4X8 or two before is all is said and done but not too bad really.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by barlav; 01-12-2015 at 10:50 AM.
post #218 of 227 Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post
Nice work barlav! Drywall is a huge milestone. And the taping looks good too!
Thanks Ben!
post #219 of 227 Old 01-12-2015, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer93 View Post
Some quality work, can't wait to see this finished.
Thanks drummer!
post #220 of 227 Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is AWESOME!
barlav likes this.
post #221 of 227 Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lol at the light comment. I was looking at your pictures and thinking to myself "I used too few of lights!" Then I read your comment about possibly using too many I'd rather have it bright with dimmers.

Looks Awesome! I wish I knew how to do this kind of thing. Where did you guys learn to drywall like that?
barlav likes this.
post #222 of 227 Old 01-14-2015, 05:46 AM

Liked: 1
Having the right tools and patience is all it takes! You can teach yourself this stuff pretty quick and some people will throw some pretty awesome ideas at you too when they have done it before. Lot's of knowledge and talent on these forums!

Best way to learn, is get into it!
post #223 of 227 Old 01-15-2015, 10:49 AM

Liked: 19
Lights...

Nice progress. I've been monitoring this thread as you have some of the same concepts that I'm using in my basement.

On the lights - I guess you should be in good shape if someone looses an earring or something!!! Kick on the lights to full! Or, you can set those on remote and flip them on full if the kids are down there getting into trouble.

I was trying to gauge lights as well since I have ridiculous florecents workplace lights right now. I've heard that you should space them 1 less foot apart for ceiling height. So, for an 8 foot ceiling, they should be 7' or less spaced.

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Onkyo TX-SR606 | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer)
post #224 of 227 Old 01-22-2015, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post
Nice progress. I've been monitoring this thread as you have some of the same concepts that I'm using in my basement.

On the lights - I guess you should be in good shape if someone looses an earring or something!!! Kick on the lights to full! Or, you can set those on remote and flip them on full if the kids are down there getting into trouble.

I was trying to gauge lights as well since I have ridiculous florecents workplace lights right now. I've heard that you should space them 1 less foot apart for ceiling height. So, for an 8 foot ceiling, they should be 7' or less spaced.
I like that idea of the remote to scare the kids. It would definitely get use. The lights in the ceiling are just the beginning. I have 14 4" cans in the soffits and then another dozen boxes wired for scones along the wall. Complete and total overkill I know...ugh. Maybe I can double the space as a tanning salon (no tanning bed needed )
post #225 of 227 Old Today, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice job. Lookin' good!
post #226 of 227 Old Today, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I just traveled 4 years in one hour. Nice work. Keep your eye on the prize.
post #227 of 227 Old Today, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlav View Post
I like that idea of the remote to scare the kids. It would definitely get use. The lights in the ceiling are just the beginning. I have 14 4" cans in the soffits and then another dozen boxes wired for scones along the wall. Complete and total overkill I know...ugh. Maybe I can double the space as a tanning salon (no tanning bed needed )
I'm with you on the over kill of lights. I love having many options for lighting also! I used a ton of cans with a ton of different switches. They add up fast. I remember telling some people how many I bought when I fist got started with the electric and they thought I was nuts I think I have like 25 6" cans, and like around 20 4"ers. That's for the whole basement but yea it's quite a few. I was going to pipe in some skonses but I ended up not. Kind of regretting it now.

Your room is going to kick butt! I wish my space for the theater was as big as yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar