tv wall mounting question inside my condo (1/2" wood behind drywall?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i thought I'd be ambitious and try and wall mount the tv myself. I got a stud finder, and had terrible luck trying to find the studs. on the few passes where it could detect a stud, it wasn't consistent (def. not enough to try and mount the tv to it). This is a newish condo (8 years old) and I am mounting on an interior wall

I eventually went the method of drilling small holes and seeing where there was drywall vs. stud based on what the stud finder told me. Originally I thought this was going ok, as I was distinctly able to tell the difference between drywall vs. something else. The problem was i tried doing the same thing 12" down vertically, and I got different results (shifted over 1/2"). I figured I was doing something wrong given that studs should be straight, so I did a second set of drill holes and got the same result.

I eventually took over the cover on the wall to the cable line, and i saw the drywall as expected, but i also saw a ~1/2" thick piece of wood directly behind the drywall. There was a hole cut into it to feed the coax cable/phone line to the jack, but it was small enough I couldnt peak around to see what else was behind there.

Anyone familiar with home construction know what this could be? I am at a point where I dont feel comfortable doing this myself, but am trying to assess the situation before i spend the money to hire someone to come and do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 05:08 AM

Any chance you can post up a pic?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasunderland View Post

Any chance you can post up a pic?

Sure ill take on tonight. But all I can see is the drywall opening (cut to size of wall jack plate) and wood behind it with a crudely cut 1" hole where the coax and phone line runs through. There isn't enough space to see through the hole and see what is behind it.

Will update tonight, thanks!
post #4 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 06:23 AM

Sounds to me like the cable guy wanted to put a box in... what does the wall plate screw to? Is there a box?

One more thought is if there is a an electrical outlet on that wall to take off the wall plate and see if there is a box attached to a stud or if it is cut into the ply-wood.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

hopefully this works...
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Looks like the installer glued a piece of wood to the back of the drywall to support the mud ring.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

ok cool thanks. im going to stimulate the economy and find someone to do this after the holidays. i am spending my evening patching up the wall where i put many holes in. at least i appear to be competent at wall patching (for now..we'll see after everything dries).
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page