Mini Man Cave Phase 2 - Could use help planning! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Edit: Here are pictures of the (basically) finished room...

Original Post: After nearly a year of prioritizing other projects around the house, it's time to finish my little gaming/movie cave. I'm working on a tight budget so I'll be DIY'ing as much as possible, but since I don't have much experience I'll be relying heavily on the combined experience of you fine folks!

The room is a tiny basement bonus room, measuring approximately 9' x 13' with a large built-in desk/cabinet at the far end of the room. The first iteration of the build involved hanging the PJ (Optoma HD20), mounting a small DIY screen on the built-in, installing 5.1 sound (Klipsch Synergy Quintet + cheapo hand-me-down sub), and building a modest AV rack in the back of the room for an Onkyo TX-SR606, a home built HTPC (w/ 2TB NAS out of sight), and an xbox 360, as well as some controller/remote/game storage.

Here's where I started...

Goals for the next phase are basically to revamp the decor of the room, bringing it forward about 4 decades, and to increase the screen size.

Here's a basic sketch of where I'm currently at with the room plan...

I've gone back and forth a hundred times on how the screen should be implemented; should it be flat against the back wall for as big as possible 16:9, or brought forward a bit with a false wall to house the speakers and potentially some storage? I obviously don't have a lot of room and it would sure be nice to stick the Rock Band instruments in there. I also really like the look of an AT screen with illuminated speakers behind it. Whatever solution I go with will get an image size bump by moving the projector back a couple feet into the utility room behind the theater and shooting it through an opening in the back wall.

What I settled on (although I'm open to feedback!) is a 21" deep screen wall with a DIY AT scope screen. This yeilds a throw distance of 11' 2" for a max 16:9 image size of 89"x50" at a viewing distance of approximately 9.5 feet. So, what I'm thinking is that if I reduce the image height by just 4 inches, I can build a scope screen at 108"x45". I don't feel this impacts 16:9 too drastically but with an anamorphic lens it would push scope content (which is a big chunk of our viewing) out to just 2 inches shy of the walls on either side.

This is my biggest concern at the moment: Do you think 16:9 content at 80"x45" would be big enough from 9.5 feet? Various calculators make me think it will be ok but I'm hoping for some actual feedback.

So, in addition to building a new screen, the decor obviously needs some work. Here's the plan (in probably the wrong order)...

1. Remove built-in desk/shelving, textured plaster ceiling and wood paneling. Replace drywall where required.

2. Cut and finish a hole between theater and utility room for projector.

3. Build a shallow soffit on the two side and the front walls. This will carry conduit and will house three small cans over the screen wall, one larger can on each side wall and a rope light in a tray around the interior of the soffit.

4. Install multi-zone light control switch.

5. Build screen wall and AT scope screen. Wall mount the LCR speakers and install accent spotlights inside screen wall.

6. Install audience lighting consisting hopefully of two small cans. I know I can get one over the rack as that HVAC duct terminates before the side wall, but I don't know if I can get another one over the seats. Perhaps a single can on a track here?

7. Finish walls with DIY fabric paneling.

8. Install seating, a row of 4 Capri rockers...

The lighting plan I'm thinking of would be 4 zones:

1. Three cans over the screen wall and two cans on the side wall.
2. Three accent spotlights behind the screen wall pointing at LCR speakers.
3. Rope light in soffit.
4. Audience lighting.

I think this would give me enough options to program some cool lighting variations. Haven't researched or chosen a light control solution.

So, this opening post is largely just me throwing all my thoughts against the wall in a somewhat scattered manner, but hopefully I'll get some feedback and some discussion going and before too long we'll have another room transformed into something pretty cool.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 39
One of the things I'm most glad I did in my room was an AT screen with three matching speakers behind. Initially it was going to be a solid 16:9 with speakers at the sides and one underneath, but I changed that to a 2.40:1 AT during my build, and I couldn't be happier.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I forgot to add-- looks great and sounds like you've got a good plan going forward.

(android app for reading AVS doesn't edit posts)
post #4 of 24 Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks man - it's funny, I just noticed your screen build thread is one I have bookmarked I really like the wainscoting as well, got me going back and forth about fabric panels vs. paint with some nice trim.

So I spent some time yesterday and today researching lighting controls and I think even a 2 zone Grafik Eye is just going to be too expensive. Looking for less expensive options, definitely need IR control for the Harmony and could probably get by with 2 zones. Anyone know if you could run two Lutron Maestro IR control dimmers in the same room?

Oh, and GreySkies, you're way ahead of me with the Android app - I can't even figure out how to login and post!
post #5 of 24 Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Been giving some thought to the ceiling and could sure use some feedback...

Here's a shot of the current ceiling...

I'm not sure if it's plaster on lath or just some sort of texture over the drywall but I'd really like to do a ceiling with two perpendicular beams forming a segmented painted star mural in 4 sections and would love to avoid pulling the existing ceiling. I hear plaster is a good sound barrier and is also a real pain to remove but I've also got very limited height in the room so I have to be careful about just drywalling over it.

As I see it, I've got a couple options. Note that the distance from the current ceiling to the top edge of the door trim is just 5 1/2" which severely limits the height of the soffit

So, what I have in mind is a U-shaped wooden tray soffit which would be fixed to the wall on one side. Recessed light fixtures would probably intrude up into the ceiling a bit, and I suppose would require some sort of box around them in the soffit to eliminate light spill. I'd like to do angled UV lights (shown in the soffit cutaway section) to charge the painted star mural.

For the ceiling itself, the drawbacks to doing the drywall over plaster are cost and intrusion into already limited height for the soffit, accounting for 1/2" drywall, some dead space around the texture of the ceiling and the height of the beam and mural panels. I don't know if that leaves enough depth in the tray to angle UV lights up onto the ceiling and still leave enough height to the lip of the soffit so that you're not staring into a UV tube when you walk into the room.

Another option I'm considering is a sort of DIY suspended ceiling...

I was thinking I could use blocks to attach the cross beams to the ceiling, sanding down the ceiling texture where required. If there was enough clearance between the ceiling and the beam the panels could be just slipped into place and suspended by metal tabs, again just spot sanding the texture down where required.

edit: LOL - I guess I should do some cursory reading before coming here for answers. Looking up how to do beam ceilings it seems as though I could install a nailer block which a false U-shaped beam would wrap around, and if it's dropped just a bit that would leave enough clearance for the panel tabs to catch.

Any thoughts on either approach?
post #6 of 24 Old 01-28-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Been doing some demolition work on the room in little bits and pieces where I can and continuing the planning process.

All the molding, wood paneling and built-in cabinetry are gone. At this point I'm relying on blind faith and the inspiring build threads around here to keep me sane and am trying to convince myself that the room will someday be habitable again...

My Demolition Helper

Front Wall

I deconstructed rather than demolished all the cabinetry so I've got a bunch of wood left over for the screen wall. I'm planning to have storage above and below the screen behind removable panels for Rock Band controllers, overflow games and movies and potentially a Kinect camera (the most-used games, controllers, remote, etc. will be on a shelf in the A/V rack.)

Screen Size

I hung a sheet, punched a hole in the back wall and moved the projecter back into the adjacent utility room to get an idea of potential screen sizes. I'll be doing CIH with a DIY anamorphic lens using trophy wedges.

It's looking like I'll end up with approximately 108" x 45" at a 9 1/2' seating distance. The 16:9 picture will by 92" diagonal flanked by removable masking panels.

This is fair bit bigger than recommended by any calculators I've seen, but it's always easy to get smaller with masking panels; getting bigger is a bit more involved!

I've also been planning the lighting in the room. I'd like to do rope light in the side and front soffits, with a fluorescent tube in the the rear soffit to charge a painted star mural. Underside of the rear soffit will get some kind of task lighting but I can't go recessed due to the HVAC duct. I'm ditching the beam idea because the exposed ceiling is only going to be about 6' by 6' and I don't think the beams would look great. Could add them fairly easily later.

Next Steps

I'm patiently waiting on the mailman for the following items...

- Lutron Grafik Eye 2404
- 20 yards of fabric from Jo-Ann for the side and rear walls
- 1" wedge foam for front wall (yeah, I know it's probably not as thick as it should be but I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, I'm $54 under budget and I intend to keep it that way )
- Row of 4 rockers from Unlimited Seating
- Centerstage XD sample from SeymourAV. Need to determine if I'll see moire so I can determine how much screen material to buy (whether I need to rotate or not.)

What I need to do in the near future...

- Select and purchase light fixtures
- Finish the projection window
- Select and purchase filler material for side and back walls, I'm leaning toward 1/2" Linacoustic from floor to ear level and leave the top section open.
- Clean and prep walls for soffit construction & fabric panel installation ("plug" the daylight window.)
- Purchase and run conduit and A/V wiring

Once I get a few things prepped my brother-in-law will be coming over to help with wiring and soffit construction. He's an electrician by trade but lives a few hours away so I need to have everything ready to make the most of his time here.

Onward!
post #7 of 24 Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

A few minor updates; what an adventure this is turning out to be...

First, the good news; I received a sample of Centerstage XD screen material from SeymourAV and it looks great. No moire at all so I won't need to buy a giant piece to accommodate a tilt. Ordering tomorrow!

Now the bad news; I'm nervous that Seating Unlimited may be a complete scam. I've had trouble getting them on the phone, there have been unexplained delays, and apparently they're in hot water with the manufacturer for offering incomprehensibly low prices and they aren't an authorized reseller. I'm not sure what the deal is, but at worst it's a take-the-money-and-run scam so I've contacted my credit card provider to determine what my options are. It sounds like I've got a couple weeks to lodge a dispute so I'll give them a day or so before I get the ball rolling on a refund if they can't convince me they're legit. If you're interested in following that particular drama, there's a thread on it here.

And finally the news that started bad but turned out ok; I received my Lutron GRX-2404 today, purchased as "like new" on eBay. Of course that's always a risk and it turns out I drew a short straw. There's a plastic plate that holds all the buttons to a circuit board and the screw posts were completely shattered. So when I popped the faceplate off everything just sorta fell out onto the table. Ugh. I contacted the seller who provided a full refund... and told me to not bother sending it back! So, I'll pocket the funds in case I need another unit but I'll try to get a replacement for the plastic plate from Lutron and failing that I'll see if I can reconstruct the screw posts with a little luck and some epoxy
post #8 of 24 Old 02-03-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Wiring arrived from monoprice today. I'm planning to do...

Front
- Speaker wire for LCR plus two extra runs in case I go with something like Dolby PL IIz with front height speakers.

- Coaxial RCA for sub plus one extra in case I implement a second sub at some point.

- Active USB extender for future Kinect camera

Side / Rear

- Speaker wire for existing surround channels plus two extra on the back wall for future 7.x implementation.

I think I'll run all these without conduit but leave an empty smurf tube with pull string in place at least to the front for future runs.

Would love to hear suggestions if anyone has ideas that would minimize hassle down the line.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

So I had a couple really productive days with my sister and her husband in town to help. A few highlights...

Repaired Grafik Eye innards, tested each zone (it works!) and wired the 4 zones. Also added receptacles in the soffit and behind the screen wall...

Framed soffits, ran A/V wires and drywalled ceiling. I got a lesson in taping and mudding from my sis before she headed home and I'll be getting a lot of practice as I finish up the soffits.

I'm currently completing the soffits with two layers of 1/2" plywood on the underside followed by drywall and then drywall on the face. I needed to add the additional layer of plywood to accommodate the recessed lights after a miscalculation when the soffits were attached.

Seats arrived! After the Unlimited Seating debacle I was much more careful this time around. After researching and talking with vendors extensively I went with the Dolphin Star seat, sold by midwesttheaterseating.com. They were very helpful, had the best price, and the seats arrived well packaged in less than a week...

Selected carpet, the color is "decadent chocolate" and I'm thrilled considering my wife originally wanted light carpet.

I also made my first blood sacrifice to the theater, so that should help things along. I was working with a floor lamp minus the shade for some extra light and I brought my arm down pretty hard on the exposed CFL bulb while attaching plywood to the soffits. It shattered and cut up my arm pretty good so I washed it, wrapped it with a feminine hygiene product and some drywall tape (it's all I could find without leaking everywhere) and kept going A couple days later my arm was still sore as hell and I'd get a shooting pain if I moved a certain way so I saw a doc today. Sure enough I missed a chunk when I was cleaning it out!

All patched up and back to work I'm now hoping to finish drywalling this weekend and then it's paint, lights, carpet, fabric panel & screen construction, A/V equipment install, and showtime!
post #10 of 24 Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Liked: 10
Nice job so far. Can I hire your sister!?!?! Cutie!

Just curious - did you find any wiring instructions for the Graffix eye online? Lutrons website appears to have nothing on it. Do you wire them up just like a normal switch?
post #11 of 24 Old 03-05-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ha! Yeah, my sis was quite a catch for her hubbie. She's got a lot of DIY experience in the house and doing landscape stuff, and she's super gung-ho. We really got a ton done during their visit.

Regarding the Grafik Eye, mine came with a wiring diagram but I can't really say how close it is to a regular switch, as this is the only switch I've ever installed I had a sorta mixed experience with Lutron tech support, maybe try them. At first they were super helpful, saying that even though this was a discontinued model they wanted me to have a great experience and become a lifelong customer. The tech asked for my email & physical address, saying he was going to send .pdf files and even some printed materials for the GRX-2404. Well, nothing ever came and when I asked one follow up question I never heard anything back. I have the 2000 series instructions and also some 3000 series documents that I collected. I'll scan and post them here a bit later.

I've done quite a bit of work on the room lately but was actually going to let this thread die for a while and just post pics when I was finished, but what good is a bump without some pics? Amirite?!

Finished drywalling the soffits and ceiling...

Installed recessed lights and recruited my little helper to paint framing for the screen wall.

Painted the ceiling, soffits and the area behind the screen, glued the foam and mounted LCR speakers...

The Quintets are pretty meager but they sound great to my novice ear...

I installed the Centerstage XD material using a trampoline method and fired up Forza 3 on the xbox to check things out. I'm big into painting cars in the game and I'm stoked to have a nice big canvas to work on! Projector isn't quite centered in this shot but I subsequently straightened it out.

Carpet has been installed and of course everyone wants to hang out in there now while I'm tinkering with the seats.

You can see I've got a bit of ripple in the screen. I'll need to tweak the clips a bit or perhaps add a few anchor points. If that doesn't do the trick I'll build a regular frame and some additional framing to hang it in the opening.

Next on this list is poplar trim (I've currently got samples drying with a few different stains) and the fabric panels for masking and wall decor.The soffit will get 1x4 and there will be 1x6 around the room at about chair rail height, but things are going to slow down a bit as I bang out a few honey-do items before daughter's 5th birthday party next week. I'll be replacing crown and baseboard in the living room this weekend, but I'm hoping the movie room will be ready for her grand opening before the month is out!
post #12 of 24 Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 AM

Are you happy with your lighting? Looks like you did the same basic light plan that I am planning. Kinda wondering if I should also put a few lights in the recessed area.
post #13 of 24 Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I think the lighting is going to work out pretty well. In addition to the 5 cans I've shown (one 6" on each side wall and three 3" over the screen) I've got a few other lights in the room.

- A sconce on the back wall, but I haven't picked it yet. I did some painting last night for a Forza 3 competition and it was a pain to use the laptop for reference with the room completely dark.

- A rope light around the sides and front soffit. I bought blue but think standard yellow-ish incandescent would have been better given the natural colors I'm using in the room. Will plug it into the receptacle for now instead of wiring it to the Grafik Eye in case I decide to swap it out for a different color.

- And finally, some accent lighting behind the screen. I assume this is what you were referring to by the "recessed area". It's sort of a gimmick I suppose but I think it will look cool when listening to music, or perhaps to raise them briefly before the projector comes on as part of a scripted pre-movie sequence. I'm currently using amber bulbs, but have yet to permanently mount the fixture.

One thing to consider here is the depth of your recessed area. If you don't allow enough room you're forced to shine the lights pretty much straight up at the speakers which isn't ideal.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-04-2011, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Things have progressed pretty well over the last few weeks and I can see the finish line. I've just got trim left to do around the projector window and the entrance, and I need to install the spotlights behind the screen and touch up some paint here and there.

I installed fabric panels all around; black for the screen masking and two tone browns around the sides and back. Also stained and installed a poplar 1x6 chair rail and 1x4 lip around the soffits...

I installed the rockers with the help of a neighbor and his hammer drill, put in some mini-recliners for my two little ones, trimmed the equipment rack (still needs paint or stain inside the storage area) and installed a sconce...

I'm still trying to figure out how to get better pictures with my little point-and-shoot camera. Hopefully I can get some better shots once the final steps are completed

oh, and a screenshot for good measure!

post #15 of 24 Old 04-05-2011, 06:46 AM

looking great!
post #16 of 24 Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 75
What a dramatic transformation! It's hard to believe it is the same room.
post #17 of 24 Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow! That theater is all class! I wish I could go AT like you did but that is easily as good as any of "bigger" theaters on this forum!

Remember to add your room to the small build thread!
Thanks

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #18 of 24 Old 04-05-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm really pleased with how it's turning out; although of course I notice little details that aren't quite perfect due to inexperience or lack of attention. I constantly wrestle with my own impatience and I really tried to use this project as an exercise in working carefully, with mixed results . What sets apart my favorite rooms around here is that attention to detail you see in so many of the builds.

So, I spent a little time this morning trying to photograph the "accent" lights...

I'm not thrilled with the blue rope light, I was expecting something much darker but it's got a lot of green in it. I think I'll switch it out for just a basic incandescent rope which I think will cast a yellow-ish glow more in line with the decor. The spots behind the screen have amber bulbs and I'm pretty happy with those. I do need to build a little enclosure to raise them up a bit and allow them to focus more tightly on the speakers.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 PM

How are you liking those Dolphin Star seats? I was looking into those for a back row myself. How much clearance behind them do they have to rock? They look really close in the pics.

Cheers, great looking build!
post #20 of 24 Old 04-17-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaofDoom View Post

How are you liking those Dolphin Star seats? I was looking into those for a back row myself. How much clearance behind them do they have to rock? They look really close in the pics.

Cheers, great looking build!

Thanks Ninja. Yeah, we're loving the seats. They seem to be very well built (the row of 4 weighs somewhere a bit north of 300lbs) and are rock-solid when anchored to the concrete floor. Due to the size of the room I did indeed install them as close as possible to the back wall, while still allowing full travel of the rocker mechanism. I'm away on business at the moment, so I can't measure but my guess is that the back of the seat is about 6 inches or so from the wall when unoccupied. Have you seen the schematics for the chair online? I'd have to track down a link but they're out there and would allow you to measure precisely. I believe the seat travels about 5 degrees, so it doesn't go back real far.

Good luck with your build, let me know if you have any other questions.
post #21 of 24 Old 04-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Very nice! Where did you buy all your chairs?

post #22 of 24 Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

Very nice! Where did you buy all your chairs?

Thanks! I bought the rockers from midwesttheaterseating.com and the kids' recliners are made by Dozydotes - I bought them at CSNstores.com.
post #23 of 24 Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Wow what a great room!

I am currently building mine and will be recessing the HD20 into the wall like you did. Have you had any problems with heat building up inside the box? What dimensions did you make the box? Thanks!

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #24 of 24 Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Wow what a great room!

I am currently building mine and will be recessing the HD20 into the wall like you did. Have you had any problems with heat building up inside the box? What dimensions did you make the box? Thanks!

My HD20 actually sits on a shelf in a cabinet in the adjoining utility room. I just fire it through a window cut out of the wall between the two rooms. There's plenty of space around the projector in the cabinet so the hole in the wall is only slightly larger than the HD20 itself to ensure there isn't any blockage of the vent on the front of the PJ. Without all that space in the rear, ie if the projecter were actually sitting in the hole itself rather than just firing through it, I'd be a little more concerned about heat.

I'll take a look at your thread and see if I can offer any feedback specific to your situation.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page