Help with enabling Xbox to play in two rooms - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying determine the best way to play by xbox 360 on two different TVs. Here are the relevant pieces of my setup:

In my living room:
52" 1080p HDTV
Onkyo TX-SR506S (3 HDMI input, one output) with xbox, uverse, and blu-ray player hooked into the three inputs. Output goes to TV.
Xbox 360 w/ 2 wireless controllers

In my bedroom:
42" 720p HDTV

What I want to do is be able to play my xbox in the bedroom while my wife watched TV in the living room. The bedroom TV is about 20' from the living room xbox with one wall in between (the living room wall that has the entertainment center is on the same wall as my bedroom closet). Further, the spot where I would be sitting to play in the bedroom is about 15' from the xbox console, with a wall in between. I tested whether the xbox remote will work from that spot and it does.

One last thing to keep in mind is that the bedroom tv is 720p, so while the xbox can output 1080p, I don't need to send a 1080p signal to the bedroom. Lastly, I do not need to be able to view the xbox on the living room and bedroom tvs at the same time. I just need to be able to watch uverse/blu-ray in the living room while playing xbox in the bedroom.

Here are the solutions I have some up with so far:

(1) run about 30-35' of HDMI from the bedroom tv to the xbox. I would install the HDMI splitter between the xbox and the receiver, so that one HDMI line would go to the receiver and the other would go to the bedroom. Installing the line is within my abilities. I have two concerns with this approach. First, is HDMI the right choice since I only need 720p? Second, when using the xbox in my living room, the xbox resets when I switch to its input, i.e. I can turn the xbox on while the receiver is set to Uverse's input, and when I switch the imput to xbox, the xbox restarts. So the concern is that the xbox won't work/will be reset whenever the receiver is set on Uverse input while I'm in the other room playing.

(2) purchase an HDMI streamer such as the Actiontec wireless HDMI that was recently announced. It's $200 and would make the install much simpler.

Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A few more ideas:

- You can actually have an HDMI and component cable plugged into your 360 simultaneously. The component breakout plug is designed to block the HDMI port, but if you remove the plastic shield (2 snap-together parts) from the plug, it makes it just possible to plug both in at once.

- You may have also found that there are various solutions for running component video or HDMI over cat5/cat6 ethernet cables, with and without baluns.

- Buy a second 360...cheaper than the wireless option.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

baluns.

Haha. Thats what I was thinking. I see a used xbox360 for 120 bucks with two controllers on craigslist right now. That way you can play 8 player First Person Shooter games.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi View Post

Haha. Thats what I was thinking. I see a used xbox360 for 120 bucks with two controllers on craigslist right now. That way you can play 8 player First Person Shooter games.

As cheap as they are now, thats what I would do for sure

Check Out My Man Cave Theater Build Log!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1306640
post #5 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

A few more ideas:

- You can actually have an HDMI and component cable plugged into your 360 simultaneously. The component breakout plug is designed to block the HDMI port, but if you remove the plastic shield (2 snap-together parts) from the plug, it makes it just possible to plug both in at once.

- You may have also found that there are various solutions for running component video or HDMI over cat5/cat6 ethernet cables, with and without baluns.

IIRC HDMI always takes precedence on the 360. So, if the HDMI is plugged in it will not send the display via component. Most people use the solution you are speaking of so they can use HDMI and still send optical to their receiver (if they don't have the dongle specific for this purpose).

It's been a while since I checked on this so things may have changed though..
post #6 of 8 Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely do not want to get another 360. While it's cheaper than the wireless option, I think it'd be more expensive than the wired route.

As far as popping the casing off of the component dongle goes, I have already done that. While it's nice for sending out the audio, it appears to be the cause of the xbox resetting. Something about the HDMI cable only setting up the link when it can receive feedback from the display, which it doesn't if the receiver is not set to the xbox's input. But since the HDMI is not set up, the audio through the component dongle goes ahead and sets up. Apparently when the HDMI does get feedback, the box resets to renegotiate the handshake. At least that's my twice removed understanding from what I read.

Regardless, what I really want to know is whether hooking up an HDMI to a splitter in the way I had mentioned will do the trick. That solution will cost me about $80 for the splitter and cable.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by festis88 View Post
I definitely do not want to get another 360. While it's cheaper than the wireless option, I think it'd be more expensive than the wired route.

As far as popping the casing off of the component dongle goes, I have already done that. While it's nice for sending out the audio, it appears to be the cause of the xbox resetting. Something about the HDMI cable only setting up the link when it can receive feedback from the display, which it doesn't if the receiver is not set to the xbox's input. But since the HDMI is not set up, the audio through the component dongle goes ahead and sets up. Apparently when the HDMI does get feedback, the box resets to renegotiate the handshake. At least that's my twice removed understanding from what I read.

Regardless, what I really want to know is whether hooking up an HDMI to a splitter in the way I had mentioned will do the trick. That solution will cost me about $80 for the splitter and cable.
You could always try the 1 in 2 out HDMI switching from monoprice. If it doesn't work, you can easily return it. If its just a switching I don't *think* it will just go to the lowest signal(720p), but I know when you get into some of the switchers they do.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2011, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

I looked into getting a 1 in 2 out switch from monoprice, but they only sell a 1X2 splitter or a 2X1 switch. The splitter does dull down the resolution, based on what tech suppport told me. But I did find a 1X2 SWITCH here: http://sewelldirect.com/2x1-or-1x2-H...assthrough.asp

I will let you all know how it works.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page