The "One to many pucks to the head" basement build - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 116 Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not much of an update but I want to feel like I am making some progress. Walked away from it a couple weeks ago but got back into to knock out most of the mudding. Been kind of busy with other stuff. Hoping to get a coat of primer on the basement soon.

Some good news though. A week straight of rain and I only had 1 little damp spot were I used to get rivers flowing. I havent resealed between the foundation and the ground yet so that should just about take care of all the water. There was a puddle outside above this spot from the roof gutters dripping also. Need to take care of that.

Been having too much fun I guess, instead of working....Took my son shooting for the first time. He had a blast.
http://youtu.be/VQF-5poPT_4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 116 Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dont mind the PC speakers on the table and for that matter the table either. I have to order a better AV cabinet and picking up some Polk Monitor 70's and a used reciever to use for sound. I had a Tvee two soundbar that sounded ok but it started shutting off on me so I dumped it.

While it pains me to help out a Bruins fan, AVS is neutral territory I just picked up a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver for my outdoor theatre from www.accessories4less.com at a great price. Not sure where your budget stands, might be worth a look.
post #33 of 116 Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhibit#4 View Post

Dont mind the PC speakers on the table and for that matter the table either. I have to order a better AV cabinet and picking up some Polk Monitor 70's and a used reciever to use for sound. I had a Tvee two soundbar that sounded ok but it started shutting off on me so I dumped it.

While it pains me to help out a Bruins fan, AVS is neutral territory I just picked up a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver for my outdoor theatre from www.accessories4less.com at a great price. Not sure where your budget stands, might be worth a look.

Good deal. Thanks for the link.

And dont worry, the Flyers would totally beat us in a game of golf.

Oh and forgot to post pic of the new table.

post #34 of 116 Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM

As a fellow bruins fan looks great I live on the south shore same crappy weather. Extending the gutters away from the foundation is also a huge help. Keep up the good work and only five more wins to the big mug keep the faith.
post #35 of 116 Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLitwack View Post

As a fellow bruins fan looks great I live on the south shore same crappy weather. Extending the gutters away from the foundation is also a huge help. Keep up the good work and only five more wins to the big mug keep the faith.

One more win. That's all I want for now. And preferably in Tampa on Wednesday. Been along time since we could even mention the big mug.

Thanks for the comments.
post #36 of 116 Old 05-24-2011, 03:17 PM

I can't believe the Bruins pulled that game out last night after that first period what a save by Tim Thomas. The B's need to win the cup and then all four Boston sports teams will have won titles recently we deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #37 of 116 Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure who was more excited, Him or I.

It was a joint purchase. I told him if he came up with half, I would foot the rest. Wel,l he played the family perfect for his birthday and he came up with almost all of it. We also traded in our PS2 slim and a bunch of games for a $75 credit.

Now I want the Big Screen!!!! More motiviation for me.
post #38 of 116 Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Hands View Post

I can't believe the Bruins pulled that game out last night after that first period what a save by Tim Thomas. The B's need to win the cup and then all four Boston sports teams will have won titles recently we deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have come to the conclusion that this has been one hell of a ride for Bruins fans. I dont think you could have packed anymore heart stopping action into a playoff year. Losing, winning, game 7's, series sweeps. Absolutely crazy.

The best thing is that ITS NOT OVER YET!!!!!!!

LETS GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!
post #39 of 116 Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Liked: 19
I can't believe I beat you to posting in your own thread. Congrats to the B's on the Cup.
post #40 of 116 Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgbug View Post

I can't believe I beat you to posting in your own thread. Congrats to the B's on the Cup.

I've been busy celebrating. Tears in my eyes. My wife was balling her eyes out. Just a happy day. Waited so long for this.

It is now 1 am and I am on my porch smoking a cigar.

BOSTON BRUINS. STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS.

Sounds so sweet.

Also my wifes birthday today.
post #41 of 116 Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gotta hand it to the Bruins, there is no doubt they are the best team in Hockey, Thomas is somone I hate to love but he is a brick wall, nice to see Chara give Recchi the cup after he was done lifting it 10 stories in the air.
post #42 of 116 Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 PM

Congrats Bruins what a playoff run down 0 2 to the hated Canadiens, 3 game sevens, overtimes,hits, fights, bites, goalies running their mouth and FINALLY a Stanley Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait to see the parade tomorrow it should be amazing!!

A wife who cries when we win the cup yep she's a keeper!!
post #43 of 116 Old 06-17-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Hands View Post

Congrats Bruins what a playoff run down 0 2 to the hated Canadiens, 3 game sevens, overtimes,hits, fights, bites, goalies running their mouth and FINALLY a Stanley Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait to see the parade tomorrow it should be amazing!!

A wife who cries when we win the cup yep she's a keeper!!

Yes. Heading in early. Probably around 9 or so. Have no idea how the crowds will be. Probably be near my work around city hall plaza.

She is a keeper all right. To put up with me during all the games she is an angel. Her father was a hockey player and is a big Bruins fan. He touched the cup at the last parade in '72.
post #44 of 116 Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 View Post

Her father was a hockey player...

So he's Canadian then?
post #45 of 116 Old 06-18-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Congrats on winning the Cup! Not like Boston was lacking in championships lately.

And a request from the peanut gallery: when you get back to posting about your build, buy yourself a new camera and try putting up photos larger than postage stamps, cuz us old farts don't have such great eyes anymore!

Or else I might have to send John Wensink to call out your entire bench like he once did to my Stars!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #46 of 116 Old 06-18-2011, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Congrats on winning the Cup! Not like Boston was lacking in championships lately.

And a request from the peanut gallery: when you get back to posting about your build, buy yourself a new camera and try putting up photos larger than postage stamps, cuz us old farts don't have such great eyes anymore!

Or else I might have to send John Wensink to call out your entire bench like he once did to my Stars!

You're not old, you're experienced. They all should be clickable links. Click on the photo to make bigger.

About 20 minutes to go.
post #47 of 116 Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Photos with clickable links ... what will they think of next?!

Start practicing: For Boston, FOR BOSTON ... mumble mumble mumble PROUD REFRAIN mumble mumble mumble ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #48 of 116 Old 06-18-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

You describe two options:

1 - A smaller screen with speakers flanking it.
2 - A larger AT screen with speakers behind it.

Option 2 will require a significantly thicker 'wall' for the speakers and space between the speakers and the AT screen. But, with the speakers behind the screen there is much less chance of damage - with floor standing speakers the right speaker would be directly in the path of people coming down the stairs to the basement.

If you really want the sound of floor standers but don't want them in the room, you could make a double wall, an actual wall by the stairs and a false screen wall in front of it with your speakers behind acoustically transparent fabric. There are lots of examples of this approach - you'll lose some depth but your basement looks like it has plenty of room.

Congats on your Bruins, I am a Capitals fan, but was rooting for your guys against the Canucks.

As for your options I would go with #2. Seymour AV AT screen material and a DIY frame is quite affordable. In-wall speakers, contrary to what you might think, offer excellent imaging. I am doing this exact same thing in my build.
post #49 of 116 Old 06-18-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Congats on your Bruins, I am a Capitals fan, but was rooting for your guys against the Canucks.

As for your options I would go with #2. Seymour AV AT screen material and a DIY frame is quite affordable. In-wall speakers, contrary to what you might think, offer excellent imaging. I am doing this exact same thing in my build.

Saw your thread. Very nice.

Hopefully you do yours first. . Make sure you take lots of pictures of your screen setup.
post #50 of 116 Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, back to it. I have not done anything significant in the basment in a while. I tore out a bunch of old ceiling joists, installed a new dryer and some other little things.

Well, I strained ligaments in my ankle so my hockey season is over. Im focusing on the basement now. Really making a push. Should have the bathroom done this weekend. New sink is in, water is run to it.

This is the other side of the wall. Need to plumb sink drain, take out the copper pipe and replumb everything with pvc. Need to clean up the pex pipe also.

post #51 of 116 Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Ok.Feels a lot better to have something completed. I like the way it came out and only swore a couple times. I like the color and the wife and I decided to do it throughout the basement. Its a beige but almost has a yellow tint to it. Not sure on a trim color yet, either white or off white.

Risilient tile floor. Went together fairly easy. $50 case
Jacuzzi Perfect toilet (not the water saver one, it sucks) $127

Sink kit with faucet $88 on sale at HD

Next step is to sheetrock the part of the ceiling I ripped out. Then I want to frame the bar out so i can get an idea of the overall look of the basement. A lot of the big stuff is done but the final sanding and painting is always the toughest.
post #52 of 116 Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Plumbing is all set too.

Just need to figure out a better way to route the sump pump. Sump pump is the pipe right in the middle of the first pic.Would like to run it sideways first along the ground then up and over to the drain. Not sure if that would work or not.

post #53 of 116 Old 03-04-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

More work...

Ceiling is back up. Most of the sanding is done so I wanted to frame out the bar and get a full look at the what the whole thing will look like.

Its 7' long with a 10" over hang. I figure with the bar rail around it, that should be over 12" total overhang. Probably just sheetrock the bottom and paint it the same color as the walls. That may change. Bar top is 22" wide now but not sure on final size. I want a drip rail on the back so that would leave me with a 18" bar surface.

Blue tape is where I want the AV Rack to go. Something I did not plan on in the original design but I think it will look nice. Computer on the bar is just there temporaily. Picking up a 27" monitor / tv for in back of the bar. Wireless keyboard and mouse for when the kids want to use the computer and directv feed for TV.

So now I need to finish bar and build wall in front of stairs for tv / projector. Been goingback and forth about this. I want to go projector with ~106" screen but a 60" lcd would be more convenient (but half the size).

OPINIONS PLEASE!!!

looking opposite way..
post #54 of 116 Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Looks good overhang will be fine a 12 inches you may as well go lower and higher on av insert I built something similar and wish I had more room. Finally, you gotta get moving the playoffs start in seventeen games!!!!! Go bruins
post #55 of 116 Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking the same thing today about the av rack. Adding up everything and I forgot about ps3 controller charge stations movie/game cases, a powercenter unit. I will probably add anothe foot to the bottom. Cant go higher because of the center support that runs length of the house.

The way the Bruins have been playing, it may be a short playoffs. But hoping for the best.
post #56 of 116 Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Trying to do something every night...

Framed out the AV rack. About 50" x 20" wide. Going to use the pre drilled melamine shelf sides and adjustable shelves. Still not sure how the layout will be so the adjustable shelves will help a lot. The outlet was orignally facing out into the finished area but I flipped it around and sealed the hole it left. Worked out pretty good.

My son being a goofball

post #57 of 116 Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Did not enjoy working with the melamine. Yes it was cheap but should have grabbed a sheet of cabinet grade 3/4" ply and built it with that. The pre drilled holes are nice but just a crumbly, weak product. Anyways, its done.

Not going to enclose the back fully but will make 3" shelf stoppers on the back edges and maybe some speaker cloth over the back so you cant see through to the unfinished side. Afraid to seal it because of heat build up. Trim out the front after walls are painted.

post #58 of 116 Old 03-11-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

So next step is to build a wall in front of the stairs for my scren wall. Stll going back and forth on AT screen or non AT screen. I like the look of the hidden speakers but not sure how much it will affect the picture quality. Dont have the money for a good AT screen so looking at DIY options.

Need to hack away at the exposed foundation. The owner before us spackled it and painted. if I can hack it back enough I may try and cover it with some sheetrock some how but the stairs are already narrow enough and cant come out too far.
post #59 of 116 Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 View Post

Trying to do something every night...

Good plan, a little progress can go a long way to keeping your enthusiasm up.

And picture updates will keep the rabble (er, thread followers) happy.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #60 of 116 Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Good plan, a little progress can go a long way to keeping your enthusiasm up.

And picture updates will keep the rabble (er, thread followers) happy.

It does help a lot. Been trying to break it down into small projects. Tomorrow will be home depot to get 2x4 and sheetrock for wall in front of stairs. Building, sheetrocking and mudding should keep me busy through the weekend.

Before I close it up though I need to run speaker wire and a USB extension for the Playstation eye from my new rack.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page