The "One to many pucks to the head" basement build - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 116 Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Attention, I ned your help!!!

Missing, one Stanley Cup Champion hockey team. If found please return to Boston immediately.

Thank you kindly

It hurt to even watch last night....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
No sympathy. Try watching the Minnesota Wild. That will give you renewed appreciation for your Bruins!

Wild suck. Vikings suck. Twins suck.

But at least we won the WNBA championship!

Eat your heart out Boston!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #63 of 116 Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Better than my Sabres and Hurricanes. I'm a huge hockey fan from Buffalo living in Raleigh and it has been tough seeing both teams struggling to even make the playoff the last few years. It was very cool though in 2006 when they met in the semi's and a great outcome with the Hurricanes winning the cup that year. It really turned Raleigh around as to being a hockey town.
post #64 of 116 Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S5 View Post

Better than my Sabres and Hurricanes. I'm a huge hockey fan from Buffalo living in Raleigh and it has been tough seeing both teams struggling to even make the playoff the last few years. It was very cool though in 2006 when they met in the semi's and a great outcome with the Hurricanes winning the cup that year. It really turned Raleigh around as to being a hockey town.

Raleigh has turned into a great hockey town. Lot of Whaler fans followed them and there are a lot of New Englanders living there also.
post #65 of 116 Old 03-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 View Post

Raleigh has turned into a great hockey town. Lot of Whaler fans followed them and there are a lot of New Englanders living there also.

Agreed. It is one of the only places I have been where the fans tailgate prior to hockey games. Great having nice weather during hockey season - especially when they make the playoffs.
post #66 of 116 Old 03-16-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so cutting into the ceiling to add the wall in front of the stairs.

I figure if I lay some 3/4" plywood across the top along the strapping, that would bring it below the ceiling. That way I could build the wall a touch shorter than the ceiling, stand it up, sheetrock the stair side. Then I could push it right up against the existing green wall and stairs. Then I will attach it to the floor and ceiling.

Anyone have a better way?? Its non load bearing, not adding ouotlets. Its where my screen is going and the sound wont run right up the stairs now.

Thats the easiest, cheapest way I can think of. Im going to cut another access panel to under the stairs in my sons room on the back side.

With a 2x4 just so I could see space needed.
post #67 of 116 Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Got the wall up Saturday morning with not much problem. Temporarily set into the ceiling so the kids dont knock it over.

I need to pull it out so I can sheetrock, sand and paint the back side, then push it up against the stairs and set it for good.

post #68 of 116 Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

My father in law offerd to come over and help paint. Wasnt 100% ready but had him come over anyways. We got most of the walls primed with 2 coats. Looks nice all one color and yet another step closer. Bar base needed another coat of mud so didnt paint that yet.

BUT after priming everything white, the old stairs had to go. They were just nasty and old. AND while I have the stairs out, that back wall is getting redone also.

post #69 of 116 Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Here is my atempt at new stairs. The old ones were steep and had shallow stairs. The precut are 7.5" rise with a 10" run. To level it, I had to bring it down lower but from the top step to the bottom of the door is about 8" so it works out pretty good.

Since its my first steps, Im screwing everything for now and will nail when I get it all settled in.

post #70 of 116 Old 03-25-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I need ideas on how to finish stairs. Wall in back will be new so that side will butt up against there. The open side is where I am stuck. Build a short wall on that side? Don't like that idea that much.

Or drywall to the stairs. Then cut a 1x12 to match stringer to match riser. I'm so confused!!!!!
post #71 of 116 Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What sort of railing are you putting up (if any)? That will dictate the type of finish you are going to want.

If you were not planning on a railing, I would go for something simple - drywall with a wooden stringer as trim.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #72 of 116 Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

What sort of railing are you putting up (if any)? That will dictate the type of finish you are going to want.

If you were not planning on a railing, I would go for something simple - drywall with a wooden stringer as trim.

No railing. I have been leaning towards an angled wall to enclose the stairs but I like the open look of drywall and a skirt board stringer. I think for now I am just going to do 3/4" plywood tread and riser then finish it after everything else is set. Give ms time to think it over.
post #73 of 116 Old 03-28-2012, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That bathroom is awesome. What are the dimensions? The solution for the sink is really clever too. I'm trying to squeeze a bathroom in my basement but so far I can't get it to work but I might be able to do something super small like that...
post #74 of 116 Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post

That bathroom is awesome. What are the dimensions? The solution for the sink is really clever too. I'm trying to squeeze a bathroom in my basement but so far I can't get it to work but I might be able to do something super small like that...

I think it's 32" wide by about 5' long. the engineer in me thought it over for a while and that was the cleanest idea I could come up with.

Start up a thread and post up your floorplan ideas. There are a lot of crafty people on this forum. Fresh eyes never hurt.
post #75 of 116 Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 PM

Hey one nice idea for the stairwell would be to use some hockey sticks for the handrail......looks great strong enough and the dimensions are good as well.

Go bruins!
post #76 of 116 Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLitwack View Post

Hey one nice idea for the stairwell would be to use some hockey sticks for the handrail......looks great strong enough and the dimensions are good as well.

Go bruins!

I thought of that idea but I'm not going with a railing. Never had one there but I am going to work some of my old sticks and jerseys into the decor of the room.
post #77 of 116 Old 03-29-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Just ordered a 27" monitor that will go behind the bar for PC and TV.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...15&lid=1003769

Dell has had these at $210 every month or so. Normally $469. Read a lot of good reviews and all the bad reviews (not too many)have been DOA or bad pixels which is fixed by RMA. 3 year warranty also. Should be here tuesday.

Now I have to call Directv and "cancel" so I can get a free hd-dvr for the basement.
post #78 of 116 Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

So the last thing that was bothering me was the wall behind the stairs. Again it was all rotted and nasty. Replaced it with new 2x3's and framed out for a 30" bifold door. Also gave myself a little more wiggle room for the stairs. Im happy with it now.

No thats not a second bathroom, just the old toilet I havent tossed out yet. My town went to the "2 per house" trash bins and now they dont take any house debris.

post #79 of 116 Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My town went to the "2 per house" trash bins and now they dont take any house debris.

You must have options other than curb side pick up, right? With a construction project you'll have a lot of scrap to dispose of.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #80 of 116 Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You must have options other than curb side pick up, right? With a construction project you'll have a lot of scrap to dispose of.

I have options of course. I usually do a trip to dump the big stuff, just havent done it yet.

My gripe is that the town used to take EVERYTHING. It was awesome. Sofas, tables, wood, etc. Big pile in the morning out front, i would come home and it would be gone.
post #81 of 116 Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Image a fellow Massachusetts resident paying a ton in taxes and getting nothing in return...... I'm sure there is a massive fee attached to your crappy trash pick up
post #82 of 116 Old 04-02-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Image a fellow Massachusetts resident paying a ton in taxes and getting nothing in return...... I'm sure there is a massive fee attached to your crappy trash pick up

Hey, they gave us the bins for free ..

Anyways, my 27" planar Monitor comes Wednesday and I can finally get the 19" CRT off my bar. Cant wait.....

And I found my Stanley Cup Champion team, turns out they were here all along. Playoffs are right around the corner.
post #83 of 116 Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Monitor came yesterday and while I am very happy with the function of it, it may be a bit small. Maybe its just because I hate my basement right now (too much time down there fixing little stuff) or that there is nothing on the walls, no trim up so the empty walls kind of eat it up. But 32" 1080p Tv's that look good are double the price I paid for this monitor. Eventually I will have the projector on the other side of the room so its not the main tv but it just looks small to me.

Ill give it a bit to grow on me. My son and daughter love it though. Maybe im just cranky....

My wireless mouse crapped out on me so my son hacked together a USB extension to have a mouse for now.

Monoprice mount. Need to pick up a 6' VGA Slim Extension so I can hide the junction point for the cable behind the wall. Need a longer HDMI for the PS3 that will be in cabinet.
post #84 of 116 Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have options of course. I usually do a trip to dump the big stuff, just havent done it yet.

My gripe is that the town used to take EVERYTHING. It was awesome. Sofas, tables, wood, etc. Big pile in the morning out front, i would come home and it would be gone.

At least they pick up something, I have to take everything to the 'transfer station' (aka dump) myself.

Of course, that provides a great excuse for owning a pickup truck.

Chris

--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #85 of 116 Old 04-05-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Monitor came yesterday and while I am very happy with the function of it, it may be a bit small.

Just wait until you have the projector up and a screen in the same room, then it won't look small. It'll look tiny!

Of course, now that you have a TV up, your progress will slow done. Only time will tell if it is as bad as hanging the projector...

Chris

--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #86 of 116 Old 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just wait until you have the projector up and a screen in the same room, then it won't look small. It'll look tiny!

Of course, now that you have a TV up, your progress will slow done. Only time will tell if it is as bad as hanging the projector...

Yeah, once i pick up an HD DVR from directv, it may slow Me down a little. The projector will be the last thing that goes up, I'm no dummy. .
post #87 of 116 Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Attention, I ned your help!!!

Missing, one Stanley Cup Champion hockey team. If found please return to Boston immediately.

Thank you kindly

It hurt to even watch last night....

A little late responding on this one, but try having your team move away for 15 years. All of a sudden it's happy to just have a team. Winning? Just gravy. (Maybe being a Twins Vikings fan prepared me for that. I miss Kirby)
post #88 of 116 Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgbug View Post

A little late responding on this one, but try having your team move away for 15 years. All of a sudden it's happy to just have a team. Winning? Just gravy. (Maybe being a Twins Vikings fan prepared me for that. I miss Kirby)

All Cyclical... When Kirby was hitting homers, the Sox, Patriots and Bruins Couldnt buy a win....

My kids are spoiled because they have watched 3 Super Bowls, 2 World Series, a Stanley Cup and a NBA Championship. They never had to suffer like we did......
post #89 of 116 Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 PM

Three days to begin the next cup run.....gotta get the theater ready for the masses!
post #90 of 116 Old 04-09-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Three days to begin the next cup run.....gotta get the theater ready for the masses!

Took one shot at a used HD70 on craigslist but it sold quick. I was going to hack together something quick. Having a birthday party for my daughter Saturday and Bruins are on at 3:00. Atleast my HD DVR will be here so I can get the bar tv going.

It's killing me but the big screen won't be in by playoffs. Maybe if they go deep. I really don't want to rush the last parts of the basement just to get it ready. My 46" will have to do (like it did last year ) Maybe it's good. Same spot on my couch, new candle to throw, and sweaty palms to wring together.

NHL Playoffs are here. Are you ready?!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page