Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewills7771 View Post

Finally some pictures to add.

Also known as - proof of progress.

Nice to see you are still working at it. I was afraid that with the projector your progress would come to a halt.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I have to admit that the projector probably slowed me down a little, but that was planned. I have a lot of time in the summer to work on it and wanted to be able to see if things were going to work for us. I like everything so far and I am trying to take my time not to forget anything. I created some voids in the walls to build in some dvd storage shelves. Still deciding if I want to do that or not. Created 3 of them in the back area. Will build one unit this weekend and decide if I want to do more or not.
post #33 of 71 Old 05-08-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Not much accomplished this weekend. Just some taping and mudding, which is not that much fun to say the least. Awaiting a monoprice order that will allow me to finish up seating bar area. Also putting together a large Lowe's order as I have a 10% off coupon.
post #34 of 71 Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not much accomplished this weekend. Just some taping and mudding, which is not that much fun to say the least.

You don't like taping and mudding drywall? Join the club (we have jackets ). I know this part is hard, but don't let the apparent slowdown get to you. Everyone that does it themselves feels like it takes forever and swears the next time they will hire it out.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #35 of 71 Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 AM

don't let the drywall thing get you down. Seemed like it took months for me but the end result makes it worth it. Once you're enjoying your room the drywall will be a distant memory.
post #36 of 71 Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 AM

Yeah everybody on this forum seems to hate drywall the most of any project they do but once your enjoying your space it'll be a story to tell. Hey on a positive note we swept the Yankees and were finally at .500 LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #37 of 71 Old 05-16-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well you are right about the mudding and taping. I finished up the first coat on all the walls and 2 coats and priming on screen wall. Got the projector back out yesterday for the Sox and yankee game- amazing how good it looks and only on primed wall. Friend coming next week to hook up all the electrical then it is time to drywall the ceiling. With summer coming it will be good to have some projects to work on so I am not pushing too hard right now. Will post some pictures and get some ideas on a couple things in the coming days.

Glad to see the Sox get to .500- they have been really hard to watch. I am hopeful that they can get the offense clicking. There is no reason that they are not scoring more runs. A sweep of the Yankees is always nice though.
post #38 of 71 Old 07-16-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well it has been a long time since I have posted, or worked on my basement for that matter. After school ended I had a month of basketball camps and then a little vacation to visit family. That being said, the next 4 weeks or so should be able to get a lot done. Today I finished the top for the back bar behind the seating area. Finished the top with solid oak and oak plywood to match my bar. Will try to post pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

Waiting on my electrician friend so that I can drywall the ceilings. Still have 2 doors to frame out, that will probably be next on the agenda.
post #39 of 71 Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Glad to see you back!!
I have fond memories of summer basketball camps as a kid.
Can't wait to see the progress pics and you were right there is no way the sox shouldn't have been scoring more runs and boy have they addressed that now let's hope the starting pitchers get healthy!!!

Welcome Back
post #40 of 71 Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everbody- been finishing up all the drywall on the walls- waiting on electrician to finish off lighting before I can do the ceilings. I have left 1/2" gap to slide the ceiling drywall above the wall boards.

Need some advice- since my area is a bar/theatre and will be used a lot to watch games- what are your thoughts on theater seats? Do they make sense? I looked at some today that I really liked and I have planned on adding some, but want to make sure it is the right thing to do before I invest the money. My plan was 2 rows- first row would be 3 theater seats and a couch behind it on a riser. Does this close it up too much? What do you guys think?
post #41 of 71 Old 07-31-2011, 06:44 AM

I considered theater seating for my room but decided on a reclining couch and a couple chairs. The theater seating just seemed like it would take up too much room and with the couch we can move in more temporary chairs and it also leaves more room for people to stand and walk around during games.
post #42 of 71 Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi ewills7771,

Just saw your build thread this past weekend, nice to see a New England/Sox fan build. Boston born and bread and huge Sox fan myself.

In regards to the HT seats, I say if that was your plan and it's in the budget go for it. I love my HT seats, they are extremely comfortable and just add to overall feel of the space whether it's dedicated or multi purpose. I've seen plenty of media room builds with HT seats so I don't think that would close it up to much.

It's also nice that you would have the couch in the back for the times you don't want an armrest between you and your significant other. In my arrangement I was able to get a HT/loveseat setup for the back row, so it accomplishes the same thing.

Good luck and keep us posted.
post #43 of 71 Old 08-07-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yesterday was a big day- my electrical was finished so now I can drywall the ceiling. The next week should see a lot finished and the area really coming together.

Still debating on the seating. I have looked at theater seats and have found the price to be very prohibitive. Started searching craigslist and hope to find some used ones that would work for us. Once I get everything else finished I think that I will spend more time worrying about seating.

I will try to post some daily pictures so that you can see things coming together.
post #44 of 71 Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some photos from recent progress.

This is at the bottom of stairs- finished tile and grout- added door that will lead into a bedroom eventually.

This picture is the bar seating area counter top.

This is of the bar area- you will notice that the walls have all been drywalled and lights have been installed and wired- the drywall is going on the ceiling now.

Need to go get about 20 sheets of drywall and rent a lift. Feel like with some luck I will have all the drywall up by the end of the week. Then the joy of mudding and taping.
post #45 of 71 Old 08-12-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

You are making excellent progress, keep it up!

Chris

--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #46 of 71 Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

A long day- hung 16 sheets of drywall on the ceiling. Just have a couple of odd pieces to finish up and the drywall will all be hung. It makes an amazing difference to look around and see things in a more finished state. Playing golf tomorrow, but will try to finish up the last little bit tomorrow night and Tuesday. Then tape and mud. Go back to school on Friday- with some luck may be able to prime over the weekend. Would love to have everything done for the start of football.

Photos to come.
post #47 of 71 Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

From 8-14-11:
Quote:

Photos to come.

Could you post up bigger pictures? I can't see them...

Chris

--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #48 of 71 Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 AM

Liked: 12
Love the soffit over the bar. Did you take any more pictures of it's construction and if so would you post? I want to do something similar in mine.

(P. S. don't let my avatar bug you - we're 2 years from competing in the AL East again hahahaha)
post #49 of 71 Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Nice build and nice progress. Whereabouts are you in central NC? Reason I ask is that I'm in the Burlington area.
post #50 of 71 Old 08-27-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

We are in Hickory. So probably a couple hours from you. Thanks for checking on my thread.

I built the soffitt on the ground and then lifted it into place. Just built a box using 2x2's to the dimentions of the bar and lifted it into place. Used screws and nails to attach it to the ceiling. I built braces to hold it into place so that I could get it in the right spot. The angles were a bit of a challenge but I am pleased with how it went. I will go back through the pictures I have taken and see if I have any and if so I will post them. It was a challenging part of the project and at times I wish I had just left it open and put some pendant lights in. If you have other questions let me know and I will try to help. If it were not for soffits I would have been finished a couple of months ago. I hate them!!!

Sorry for the lack of updates and pictures. We started school so I have not had a lot of time to work. I am also at the mudding and sanding point. It looks like a huge dust cloud down there most of the time. I think that I am finished mudding except for some touch ups. Have some more sanding to do and will post pictures when I finish that. I am hoping to prime and paint next weekend.

We are going with a blueish grey for the walls with a dark grey for the ceiling in the theater area. White ceilings in the bar and gaming area. Any suggestions on the soffits. Should I paint the entire soffitt the ceiling color, the wall color, or the bottoms the ceiling color and the sides the wall color? I am really struggling with this part so I am open to all opinions. Thanks for reading.
post #51 of 71 Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Believe it or not the sanding is finally finished, or at least I think that it is. I am sure that I will find spots that need a little work, but for now I am trying to convince myself that I am done with it. Tomorrow the plan is for a lot of clean up and maybe some priming if there is time. With the Sox and Yanks playing I will only have so much time before it is time to sit down and watch the game.

Will post pictures once I get things cleaned up enough so that you can see something.
post #52 of 71 Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Making good progress. We all enjoy seeing progress so post some larger pics.
post #53 of 71 Old 08-31-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Spent some time tonight cleaning up dust and uncovering things. Here are some photos of the progress.

Bar area:

The wall in the front is the screen wall- couch is turned backwards

Area behind the theater bar seating area- plan on putting a gaming table here.

These are the soffits to the left of the screen wall.

We are painting the walls a bluish grey color and the soffits in the bar area white with white ceiling in bar area. Had planned on painting the ceiling in theater area a darker version of the blue-grey. Now not sure. Really like the idea of the soffits all being white but not sure the impact it would have on the screen area. The soffitt over the screen I will paint a darker color- any thoughts on the soffitts to the side? I am hoping to paint this weekend so any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #54 of 71 Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well have been working hard on my build. Spent every free moment the last couple of weeks trying to get things done. All major projects are done except carpet. Still have some detail work- a few outlets to put in and some touch up painting. What do you think?

Here is a bar area photo taken from screen wall

This is some Sox stuff that is opposite the bar area. Picture is standing behind bar.

Here is the seating area standing at the screen wall.

Looking at the screen wall- you can see I still need to paint and frame the screen- right now trying some different sizes.

Will continue to work towards completion, but at least now it is a space that we can use.
post #55 of 71 Old 09-19-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Watching the Sox right now is about killing me. Have to admit that it reminds me of my childhood. There are so many new Sox fans, who never lived through the tough years. I can only hope that they can turn things around and make the playoffs. Not much hope other than that- they are too banged up.

I have put some Sox accessories up and will take some pictures of those for you. Still need to tile behind the seating bar and then get some carpet. Any suggestions on some reasonable carpet- the money is beginning to run out?
post #56 of 71 Old 09-19-2011, 11:23 PM

Use out door carpet and paint in baselines until the real carpet fairy comes . Also as a life long member of the fellowship of the miserable ......all the optimism in this town sucks......it's nice to feel the true hate and loathing of sox fans again...... Now if they'd get back to winning I could b happy! You gotta get over to Twins across from the park and pick up the retired number circles.....room looks fabulous gotta say.
post #57 of 71 Old 09-22-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I am finishing up some tiling this weekend and then going to pick out carpet. I have retired numbers that I got at ebay- they are awesome, made out of acrilic. I have all except Jim Rice, I got them before his number was retired. I have put them up, will take a picture and post them. You can see the Yaz. one already up on the soffit over the bar.

I tell everyone here that this is what it is really like to be a Sox fan. Alll those fake fans that joined after the Sox won a championship have no idea what being a sox fan is really about. I hope they can turn it around but don't think it will matter they will be a quick exit if they do make it. Hate that they had to deal with the injuries, thought this was going to be a very special season.
post #58 of 71 Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
At least the Sox didn't lose tonight!
post #59 of 71 Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 AM

Isn't that also American league batters' average against Wakefield and Lackey in the month of September?

Sorry couldn't resist.

Greg
post #60 of 71 Old 09-24-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tell everyone here that this is what it is really like to be a Sox fan. Alll those fake fans that joined after the Sox won a championship have no idea what being a Sox fan is really about.

I have to get you over sometime to meet my wife. She's been a Red Sox fan since 1968 (she even had a teddy bear named Rico Petrocelli), but gave up rooting for them after they won the series because of all the 'fair weather fans'. She's watching again, and is 'happily disgusted' with them (her motto: 'Why be happy when you can worry?').

I don't understand it at all, but seeing other people who feel the same way gives me some hope. If there are other people that act this way I don't need to worry about reserving a padded room at the local treatment center, right?

Chris

--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page