AVS Forum banner

The .406 Club

14K views 70 replies 18 participants last post by  ewills7771 
#1 ·
We purchased a new home last Spring. It was a new construction though not a home that we had built for us. We were looking for a home with a large unfinished basement and this house was more than we could have hoped for. Originally I wanted to finish the basement as a game room and place to hang out and watch games with friends. Then I found this forum and all my plans changed. Over the past several months I have planned out the basement and completed the bar. I am now ready to move onto the rest of the projects and need advice and help.

I am a high school teacher and basketball coach so the winter is a very busy time, but as the season winds down I will be working a lot more on the basement. I am working on a budget, using only money I earn from working camps or other "extra" money opportunities, so as I get more money I do the next project- that is why I completed the bar first. With it finished I can hang out there and enjoy with friends until I get more cash flow. I am building the home theatre part on a budget and want to get good quality at a reasonable price.

We love to watch movies and sports and I hope that it is an area where my daughter and her friends can hang out as she gets older. We have a bar even though neither my wife or I drink, just a great place to hang out.

Equipment I plan on purchasing

Projector- Epson 8350- interested in the Visual Apex package with the VAPEXZ screen (any opinions on this are welcome)

Reciever- Onkyo TX 608

Blue Ray- will purchase new with wifi

Center Speaker- already own a DCM

Front speakers- looking for advice

Rear speakers and bar area speakers- have 2 sets of Monoprice in ceiling speakers

I have some pictures of the space and the part that is finished. I will post them as soon as I figure out exactly how to do that. I still need to finish soffiting and building the rear walls that will seperate a storage room and the workshop from the theatre and bar areas.

I have learned a lot from this forum and look forward to your advice and opinions on what I am trying to do. I am doing all the work myself so most of the progress will not happen until summer when I have more time.

See less See more
#2 ·
As a b-ball coach I was expecting you to say you were going to put in one of those half-underground basketball courts that are so cool. I don't play b-ball, but I'd put down turf and make it for indoor football practice!!!

Anyway, I have the Onkyo 607 and while I have barely scratched the surface with what it can do, I LOVE IT!!

For the speakers and all that where you need input you'll need to be more specific because as you probably know from perusing here there is a HUGE range!! I have Klipsch and they sound fantastic for my setup! They would be WAY WAY too small for what some guys on here have!!

Good luck and POST PICS!!

#4 ·
The underground basketball court would be a great idea, but probably a little to expensive for my budget. I was a manager for Coach Smith at North Carolina and was torn about which way to go with the theme for the room. I had thought about using a Carolina theme and painting the Smith center court on the floor, but think that would probably would hurt if we ever have to sell. That and my office upstairs and most of our house contains my Carolina memorbelia.

The .406 is indeed a reference to Ted Williams. I grew in New England and am I huge Sox fan. Get the MLB Season Ticket every year and only miss about 5 games per season- a bit of an addict I will admit. I considered several Sox related ideas and this one seems to stick at least at this point. Who knows could change again, but is a bit of a subtle sox name as opposed to something outlandish.

#5 ·
That's what I thought I think it's a great name but of course I'm biased I think it's brilliantly subtle a nod to Teddy Ballgame and Fenway in one. I'm also a Red Sox addict and try to catch every game hopefully this year will be outstanding just have to hope the pitching holds up in my opinion and of course no injuries. The Tar Heels are also one of my favorite teams and being a manager for Dean Smith must of been amazing what years did you attend. That last Duke game was difficult to watch but it seems like the team is starting to gel with Marshall as the point I think they'll be a tough out come tournament time.

#6 ·
With the additions of Gonzalez and Crawford and good health for Youk and Pedroia it should be a fun year. Pitchers and catchers report today so that already makes today a good day. I miss Fenway. I try to take my family there every couple of years for a game. No better place to experience a baseball game. I was at Carolina from 1990-'94. It was a great experience we made 2 Final Four's and won the title in '93. A great group of guys and no better person in the world than Coach Smith. I am very blessed to have the experience and be part of the Carolina family. Looks like Coach Williams is getting things going again, they are young but really getting better. I think they have a chance to make a late season run.

Now if I can just figure out how to post pictures here. I saw somewhere how to do it, but for some reason can not find it now. Anyone have help I can use some.

#7 ·
As a Massachusetts transplant down in here in Houston, I'll be keeping an eye on your build. My theater name is also a subtle reference to the Sox, but given my current location, many assume I work for NASA.

As far as posting photos, many put their pics on Photobucket and then post the image tag/link in their message. There is a "post testing" thread inside the "AVS Forum Information" forum that discusses the details and allows you to post some test pics.

#9 ·
Off to a good start. I like the McFarlane figures. I have about 30 Sox figures in my office, which my family likes to refer to as "Daddy's doll collection". They just don't understand.

Don't get too set on your equipment quite yet, especially the projector. Chances are there will be better/cheaper models available by the time you actually need it. Technology changes so fast. You should really wait as long as possible. Since you are trying to stretch your money, you might also consider a DIY screen.

Have you given any thought to the look of your screen wall? Are you placing speakers behind a false wall and going with an AT screen or were you thinking of placing the speakers out in front? Have you decided on screen format (16:9 vs. 2.35:1)? What are your plans for seating? If you had a plan drawn up of the space with a few of your ideas, that would be helpful. You will get lots of feedback by posting a plan.

#10 ·
To be honest those are many of the questions that I look forward to getting people's input on. As far as my plan is concerned for right now- I want to have 2 rows of seating, with the second row raised. Will be some combination of theatre seats and a couch for now to try to save a little money now. At the back of the second row I am going to build a bar area to sit at. Behind that there will be a gaming area of some sort. It is much deeper behind the couch than it looks like. I will get some measurements and post them to help a bit more.

The screen area is one place that I really am not sure what to do. I plan on a 16:9 screen probably around 120 inches. I have thought about a DIY screen just not sure if I can build one that I will be pleased with or know how much money it will save me to do that. As far as setup for the area I am still working on a concept. I will have to build a soffit at the top and plan on it housing my center speaker, but not sure what to do with the other front speakers.

Currently I am working on soffiting and then building the back walls. I am hoping that will give me enough time to figure out what to do with the next steps. I have very little time to work, so that should buy me a month or so.

#11 ·
You should defiantly draw up a plan with dimensions, it will be much easier to provide feedback that way. You may also want to include some height information - I see some pipes in your pictures that you will have to work around.

Edit - you didn't provide a location in your profile, but since you are a Red Sox fan I have to ask: are you near New Hampshire?

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Hands
@ Spaceman I've seen you around the forum and never thought that was a reference to the incomparable Bill Lee. He still plays softball all over the world talk about a guy who just loves the game Beerparty he lives up in your neck of the woods. Ewillis sweet looking bar!!!
The one and only. Definitely one of my favorite players. He played some goodwill ball in Cuba not too long ago. There was a good documentary on it. You should also check out the Luis Tiant documentary.

#15 ·
A bar is a great idea and I'm sure you must have some friends that now and then toss back a few grown up drinks

If you want young people to grow up and hang out then make it more than a bar and a screen.

Our space is 17X24 - style is commercial tavern - defined as bar, 5 LARGE bar chairs (these double as "theater" seating), arcade games (7 pinball, foosball, bartop video and commercial dart machines).

Pull down 4:3 screen for theater/BIG GAME viewing - viewing distance (eyeballs-to-screen) about 14 feet so we usually adjust image to around 120 inch diagonal. I suggest you read posts in the Screen Section regarding screen shape - we tried a rectangular 16:9 screen and learned that a taller, more square a LOT better for different image adjustment - BIGGER screen capacity ALWAYS better than less capacity.

Get "into the theater game" as soon as you can - we bought our pull down screen off of craig's list for $70 - like new condition - a 720p projector (what we've used for almost 4 yrs) can deliver a very respectable High Definition image.

GoodLuck

#16 ·
Sorry I did not include a location. I am in central North Carolina, a transplanted New Englander originally from Vermont. Being in the South some of the insulating will be different from a lot of you in the North of Midwest- It is a walkout basement.

I will work on getting some measurements to share- I have tentative plans drawn out on graph paper but it is 4 sheets taped together so it is too large to scan. There are some pipes that hang down at the back of what will be the seating area, I plan on putting a bar height counter there, with some space behind for a poker table or a gaming table. I hope to finish up the framing in the next month or so and be finished with electrical and drywall by the summer. That gives me time to plan out equipment and other things that I may need. THanks for opinions and advice so far I look forward to more to come.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewills7771
I will work on getting some measurements to share- I have tentative plans drawn out on graph paper but it is 4 sheets taped together so it is too large to scan.
You can always take a picture of your drawn plans and post that, or even redraw the plans on a napkin and post a picture of that.

#18 ·
Here is a quick drawing of the space- I took it from a larger version and will work on something better for you when I get some more time.
[/IMG]

Some of this is flexible, I can move the bar seating area around in the back of the theatre to create the best viewing distances. Can I comfortably get 2 rows of seating in the 20 feet that I have? I want the back row on a riser, the front row will be theatre seats, the back row will be a couch for now, hopefully theater seats later. I want to get the largest screen size possible and was thinking of 120".

The media cabinet is located between the bar and the seating area. I am building a closet around it in the workshop area. The pipes that I have to deal with are all around the perimeter except for some that run right over where the bar seating area is in the theater. I know that this could impact location of rear speakers, thought about putting them in the soffit.

#19 ·
It looks like great space. It should be a very nice hangout area. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. As you can see, there are plenty of BoSox fans out here. The .406 Club is a fantastic name!

If you haven't experienced projection TV yet, you will find it to be life-changing, especially for sports.

#20 ·
I definetly think you can get 2 rows of seating in an area of twenty feet and for the riser their is a riser calc. in the dedicated thread that is very helpful. The best idea I can give for screen size is don't buy it until you get your projector and project on the wall for awhile and get a feel for it. Their are alot of great soffit ideas in this forum with lights,speakers and wiring built in. My advice would be look through the forum tons of great builds and ideas and you'll get a much better feel for what you want the advanced search function is awesome!! You have a great space to work with and a projector and sports is amazing. Early reports from Fort Myers looks like everybodys in great shape!!!

The Incident watched your build for a while sweet space love the fireplace especially afraid to show the wife because I know shall want it!

#21 ·
If the screen is the Green Monster, how about just over it is a "Bucky F*cking Dent" sign? Just a playful jab from a Yankees fan! I do love the baseball themed idea, my wife and I also always get the baseball package every year also. I do hate to listen to Remy on NESN say "Daniel Bahd" and "Dustin Pedroierr", but not as much as Hawk Harrelson do the White Sox games. Looking forward to a great season, thankfully spring training is here!!!

#22 ·
Well I spent part of my day Saturday working on soffitting, that was between basketball practice and watching the Carolina game. The more we talk about baseball makes me realize that I need to get to work before baseball season gets here and all I want to do is watch the Sox. I am ready to start listening to Remy and Orsillo. I figure I have one more weekend of soffitting before I will frame out the back walls. I am waiting on that until I can figure out location and exactly what size doors I want to put in going to the workshop and to the storage room.

As far as projector and screen are concerned. I was planning on buying a package to try to save money, but now I am concerned about getting the right sized screen to fit my room, maximizing size but making sure it is comfortable for those watching. Any thoughts?

#23 ·
Love the baseball theme.. We actually named my bar xtra innings. I also am a forever subscriber to the directtv baseball package. My son and I are actually taking opening day off this year and sitting in the new room all day with some cold drinks. Your bar looks like it's close to the same dimensions as mine. Keep up the good work.

#24 ·
The bar dimensions are based on the wall that the top sits on. I built it to be 8'x4'x4'- made the construction of the facing easy but it made the top and the cabinets behind to be a bit more challenging. Bought some unfinished oak cabinets for the back but had to build 4 shelving units to fill in the spaces. I am happy with how they came out, fit together and match nicely. The top was another challenge. Being in the south we have a great deal of humidity in the summer. I originally wanted to go with hardwood flooring for the top, but was concerned that the changes in humidity could cause some problems, so instead went with oak plywood for the top. That would be easy if not for the fact that the 45 degree angles meant that each run was longer than 8'. To overcome that I used some solid oak pieces to help the dimensions work. Took some time and thought but I am pleased with how it turned out. I chose not to do the bar rail for now, though I made it so that I can put it on later. The main reason was money, I needed a 10' run and locally it would have cost me $400 just for the bar rail. Decided that I could make better use of that money in other places for now. I used some 1x2 oak trim for the edge and think that it came out better than I expected.

#25 ·
Took advantage of a nice sale at HH Gregg and bought an Epson projector and the Onkyo TX-SR608. Tested them out for this weekends ACC Tournament and I am very excited. They really brought the feel that I was hoping for. Still have a lot of work to do, so will be boxing them up soon as I am getting close to drywall. Still have a little soffitting to finish and to finish up electrical and wiring. I know for most people things come to a stall when they get the projector out, but for me I think it added motivation to get things done so I can enjoy the space. Will post some pictures when I get the soffitting finished.

#26 ·
hey ewills im a huge unc bball fan down here in tampa FL

do you go to www.insidecarolina.com ? if so what is your id there? my

id there is the same here rossinfl.

i only have a small ht so wont be able to help you but just wondering

about your unc ties since you said you were a manager. you must have

been in tar heel heaven huh?

wowza

for speakers i recommend klipsch like a lot of people on here do. i had

to buy some polk audio speakers for my recent upgrades b/c of money

situation. i do now have a new yamaha advanteage 800 receiver and love

it. it has a lot of new tech stuff that is supposed to make it last a lot

longer. my old yamaha receiver is about 13 years old and still going strong.

i just gave it to my 17 yeard old nephew so he can use it for dvds and

rock band.

i think i read what you wrote wrong about having 4:3 for tv viewing. youre

not gonna use either a hd dvr from cable co or direct tv for hd?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.