DVD Player with NO HDMI - Is there an adapter??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all....New to this board, so please bear with me if the answer to this is posted elsewhere here.

Does anyone know if there is an adapter that would convert/mate up with my DVD players "RCA" type plug/jacks to an HDMI cable? Reason being is that I am locating the DVD player and cable box in a closet and running cable to a 50", that will be wall mounted.
I obviously would like to run 2 HDMI cables for those devices instead of the bulky multi-cable that that connects the DVD player to the TV we are using now.

The DVD also has no S Video cable.

I'm open to suggestions. I work in the telecom field, so cabling and terminations aren't a problem.

Thanks
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Jeff there are devices that will let you send component and audio over cat5 but to be honest, a new Blue Ray player would be about the same cost. You will get great STD DVD upconvert (looks amazing), the ability to play BR (look even better) and most likely internet apps (not all that great unless you use netflix) and of course HDMI out! All this for about $170 + HDMI cable.
NOTE if your run is over 30ft you may need to get an HDMI repeater and at the very least buy large gauge HDMI cables meant for long in wall runs. There is a forum for everything HDMI, I would look there about long, in wall runs.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-18-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
try searching on HDFURY.

But it may be cheapest to just upgrade the DVD player.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #4 of 5 Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I agree with everyone else that a new player is cheaper and better in the long run. The BluRay model changes are happening right now, so you should be able to find something for under $100 on closeout. Upconverting DVD players are even less expensive at around $50.

If you are determined to do the conversion, there are several places that sell adapters. Monoprice has a good reputation and is generally inexpensive. This adapter runs about $35 http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #5 of 5 Old 02-18-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
To take advantage of the HiDef resolution that HDMI is capable of transporting to your display you need an up converting player for standard def DVD HDMI transport to your display. Up Conversion makes standard def DVD content - even "shrunk"/compressed DVD content - look very good and almost HiDef.

As already posted - you can get a decent up converting standard dvd player for between $50 and $100 with HDMI output to your display's HDMI input.

Buy a new Up Converions player with HDMI output.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page