In-Wall Component Cabinet Ventilation Help... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an existing in-wall AV cabinet that extends into the attic above the garage. I've attached a couple of shots of the cabinet. The first is from inside the theater room and the second is from inside the attic (note the back panel of the cabinet is off in this picture).

My question is concerning the heat inside this cabinet, especially during the summer months in Texas. It could get well above 120 degrees in the attic.

Question #1: The cabinet has air vents that allow attic air into the cabinet. What I was thinking of doing was sealing the cabinet and wrapping the cabinet with some R19 insulation. That way the attic air temperature wouldn't affect the cabinet air temperature. Plus, with the two exhaust fans running, instead of replacing the cabinet air with hot air from the attic, they would be pulling cool air in from the theater room. Does this make sense and be a good idea?

Question #2: The two exhaust fans pull air from the cabinet out into the theater room. I have concerns over ambient noise from the fans plus heating up the theater room. I was thinking that perhaps I relocate the fans to the top/back of the cabinet case so that the air from the cabinet is pulled out into the attic. This way the noise from the fans is less noticeable in the theater room plus I would be pulling the hot air from the cabinet into the attic and replacing the hot cabinet air with cool air from the theater room. Thoughts on this solution as well?

Thanks,
Brandon
LL
LL
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page