Good customer service from Monster... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe that most here dislike Monster, but I like to reward companies for good customer service and I feel that I've received this from Monster. Quite some time ago, I bought a Monster HTS 2000 MkII power center for a bit north of $100. I'm guessing I bought it about 6 years ago.

Recently, the voltage/wattage display began flashing random numbers, but it otherwise seemed to work fine. I called Monster and they asked when I bought it. I said I wasn't certain. They asked if it's possible that it was within 5 years and I said it's possible.

With no receipt or hassle, they agreed to send me an HDP 1800. When I pointed out that the HDP 2500 has roughly the same number of outlets as the unit with the problems, they agreed to send that one instead. This unit goes for about $400. Overpriced? Maybe, but I can't beat getting one for free in exchange for an old, defective unit.

I don't know about how much good the power conditioning does, but at the absolute minimum I suspect I've received good protection for my components. But whatever you think about Monster, I have to give them credit for going above and beyond by replacing an old power center with a substantial upgrade and all without a receipt or any hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
They ought to give you good customer service for what they charge for their products...
post #3 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM

I've actually had really good luck with Monster too. Regardless of any bashing, they do make good products and stand behind them. I had a customer with a flat panel mounted with an hdmi run through the wall to an opposite wall. The housekeeper moved the equipment while trying to get something that junior knocked down, and proceeded to bend back the head of the hdmi cable to where it snapped. I called monster on the customer's behalf, and told them I'll need to yank the cable out of the wall and run a new one. They sent the customer a brand new 16' hdmi, and just asked that I send the old one back in the prepaid box. I said I might cut the heads off the old one to make it easier to snake back out, and they said "go for it."

So yes they're overpriced. But it looks like they know it, and their customer service is all local in San Francisco. Good on 'em.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Frankly, I haven't seen much Monster bashing around here, just the obvious comments that they are overpriced for what you get. A free cable from Monster is no bargain when you can buy ten cables that perform as well for the same price as one of theirs.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM

I figured out how to fix the problem with blinking, blank or 080 display on Monster HTS 2000 MkII. If anyone wants, please post your request, and I will describe it.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 AM

So technically if you would have been honest with them that you bought it 6 years ago and not 5 you wouldn't have got anything I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Frankly, I haven't seen much Monster bashing around here, just the obvious comments that they are overpriced for what you get. A free cable from Monster is no bargain when you can buy ten cables that perform as well for the same price as one of theirs.

+1
post #7 of 19 Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock View Post

Recently, the voltage/wattage display began flashing random numbers

Because I've been around the block a few times... I hazard to guess this is a known factory defect known at least internally to Monster, but Monster has not unilaterally initiated a recall, the front line people is been told by management, if customer complains about this problem, fix them. Cheaper than getting one of those class actions.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #8 of 19 Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Monster might offer quality snake oil, and unbelievable customer service, but their/his business ethics are deplorable.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 05:50 PM

If you have the solution for the 000 080 flashing light issue I'd love to see it.

My Monster Bar has been doing this for about a month now (5 years old) but other than that appears to work perfectly...

Thanks,
post #10 of 19 Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Monster might offer quality snake oil, and unbelievable customer service, but their/his business ethics are deplorable.

I still get a chuckle out of the BJC letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleansman View Post

If you have the solution for the 000 080 flashing light issue I'd love to see it.
My Monster Bar has been doing this for about a month now (5 years old) but other than that appears to work perfectly...
Thanks,

I'd give Monster a call to see if they can help you out. Likely not a user-correctable problem. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-10-2012, 09:59 AM

Hi, am concerned about flashing display ssues with my 5-6 years old HTS 2000 MKII. CS tell me to disconect from wall for minutes, and replug. It should fix the problem. ... Na, Same problem! What I have to tell them CS to convince them to replace my unit with another one?

Also, what is the ways to fix this issue, if they exist one!? smile.gif

thx
post #12 of 19 Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicinc View Post

I figured out how to fix the problem with blinking, blank or 080 display on Monster HTS 2000 MkII. If anyone wants, please post your request, and I will describe it.

Hi, am concerned about flashing display ssues with my 5-6 years old HTS 2000 MKII. CS tell me to disconect from wall for minutes, and replug. It should fix the problem. ... Na, Same problem! What I have to tell them CS to convince them to replace my unit with another one?

Also, what is the ways to fix this issue, if they exist one!? smile.gif

thx
post #13 of 19 Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Help. I just noticed the blinking 080 and 000 lights on Monster HTS2000MKII. Date code is 06 - 07, so I figure that it's more than 6 years old.
I tried the reset button, but that's no use, and unplugging it didn't work either. How do I get them back to showing accurately?
Thanks.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-02-2013, 11:42 PM

i was wondering how to fix the blinking display on the monster hts2000 mkii.
thanks, wayne
post #15 of 19 Old 06-08-2013, 04:17 AM

Hello, I have the exact problem that you described. My MKII is blinking 080 instead of the normal amp/volt indicator. Should I call Monster about this problem? Will it damage my electronics if I don't replace the MKII? Thanks for your help!
post #16 of 19 Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 PM

What is your advice about fixing the Monster ower supply blinking 80 on the voltage?
post #17 of 19 Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 AM

I know most of this thread is old, but can someone tell me how to fix this 080 flashing. I called monster 2 times and because i lost receipt they won't do anything. I understand their side, but if it's a major issue with this fairly expensive power strip I would expect better than "sorry"......
post #18 of 19 Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also have the 080 flashing issue on my HTS 2000. Any help is appreciated. smile.gif
post #19 of 19 Old 04-08-2014, 06:25 PM

Did anyone figure out how to fix the blinking display? I found a bad capacitor on the switchable audio outlets. I haven't replaced it yet but with it out of the circuit I do have a number on the display instead of dash marks but the display still is blinking slightly.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Monster

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page