Liked: 39
A balanced system.

Equtech, furman, others...
post #3 of 16 Old 12-18-2000, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have both in my system - Panamax 1500 and Monster HTS 2500 and both are pretty good, actually sonically they do nothing. I have had the Panamax for 2 years and recently had a problem with it, so they shipped me a replacment the next day. So panamax Service is great.

Looks are also the same meaning, nothing special, Panamax has a POD control for the brightness of the led strip...so I have lowered it to just over a very faint dim.

The Monster has 2 triggers (1- AC cable/ 1 - 12v 1/8 mini plug) where the Pnanmax only has one( AC cable as a remote sensor)
The Panamax has a module bay for an add on ..I think it is only good for network coaxs or something...

Matt

either you will be happy with

------------------
Thanks.....Matt

------------------
Thanks.....Matt Nalbandian

mzn50@sympatico.ca
post #4 of 16 Old 12-18-2000, 07:56 AM

I have the Monster and I have to say it is the WORST piece of equipment I own. I had a massive power surge that took out my sat dish,tv,and cable that were all attached to the Monster, and the Monster didn't even trip! I am told that the Monster when it fails massively, it still lets the spike through. I also do not notice any difference in sound or visual quality. If you are going to get a conditioner/surge find a good one by researching. Some of the guys around here will have some good ideas.

-Keith

------------------
Keith McElhinney

Keith McElhinney
post #5 of 16 Old 12-18-2000, 08:37 AM

My Max1000 saved all of my equipment during a severe electrical storm. I called Panamax and they immediately shipped me a brand new one. They also sent a claim report just in case there was any damage to any of my equipment. It is a super company to deal with and I highly recommend Panamax products for anyone.

------------------
"Success is the greatest revenge."

Go Gamecocks!
post #6 of 16 Old 12-18-2000, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Another vote for Panamax....I use Panamax products for work, (professionally) and privately. Their better products offer very good EMI/RFI filtration......and great surge/spike suppression. Are there better products out there? Absolutely.....Tice, Power Wedge, Power Co. all come to mind, but on a cost vs. performance basis it is difficult to beat Panamax. In all of my dealing with Panamax their customer service has been outstanding, they usually have a replacement in my hands within 48 Hours.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-18-2000, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys,
If it were up to me I'd buy a PS audio but this is for a client who is a relative and I needed these comments.

any more would be great as well.

------------------
Gifford Largey
AudioVision Systems
post #8 of 16 Old 12-19-2000, 10:18 AM
BL

I own Panamax, not Monster, and performance-wise I haven't had any problems. Keep in mind, though, that the warranties on these units are close to useless in Home Theater applications. Everthing must be plugged into the Panamax unit which may be impossible if your projector is in a different part of the room from your amplification and electronics, etc. Additionally, I don't believe they are designed to handle the loads imposed by one or more high-current amplifiers. I also seem to recall that the warranty doesn't cover surges through s-cables.

I think Panamax makes a good product, and I use it because I believe it will protect my equipment in the event of a surge. I am not, however, counting on the warranty to cover my fried equipment even though I believe it should.

That's my two cents anyway.

------------------
Bill

Bill
post #9 of 16 Old 12-21-2000, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Gelee, I'm not sure about the Monster products but I can assure you that Panamax will and does replace equipment that has been damaged as a result of a direct lightning strike. Now if you simply have a Max2 - which is a simple 2 outlet surge suppressor (no phone protection) and the direct strike hits the phone line and smokes you DSS receiver, of course it would not be covered. But if you have one of the better units that protects the power side along with the phone and cable they would cover the damaged equipment, as well as replace the surge suppressor.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-21-2000, 07:51 PM
htc

as a panamax dealer, i can assure everybody that lightning is covered!! if you projector cant be used on the same line, then just use one of the two outlet units on the ceiling, that way every way in for a surge or lightning is protected. when you set up your expensive home theater, ask your dealer to review your electrical protection plan with you. you are paying for his expertise, use it. it is sometimes easy to overlook a way for a surge to sneak in when you have all that equipment to hook up. remember, power, phone, ant, cable, and sat all have to be protected.

oscar

HOME THEATER CREATIONS

oscar
HOME THEATER CREATIONS
cichlid@newsguy.com
post #11 of 16 Old 12-22-2000, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Liked: 12

i'm running a Monster 3000. works great.

------------------

Widescreen DVD - Because a superior format requires superior formatting.

No, i can't go out, i'm watching Garbo...

post #12 of 16 Old 12-22-2000, 08:11 PM
htc

we have had only about 3 customers who ever had to use the panamax warrantee to replace their equipment (usually the panamax self distructs to save the equipment and is simply replaced). those people have had only great things to say about panamax, and in fact stated that they were quite prompt in reimbursement! believe me we would hear about it! call panamax, and see how customer service responds to you with a question or a "claim". dont get me wrong, we sell the monster also, but it would be unfair to label panamax as hard to deal with, because it just isnt so.

oscar
HOME THEATER CREATIONS
cichlid@flash.net

oscar
HOME THEATER CREATIONS
cichlid@newsguy.com
post #13 of 16 Old 12-23-2000, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Perhaps some individuals have a knack for rubbing customer service people the wrong way? As an Invisible Fence dealer I have dealt with Panamax literally hundreds of times and I have never once had a problem with their service. Invisible Fence products have a lifetime warranty, but more often than not the Panamax gives its life and save the equipment and we do not have to use the IF warranty. I have personally had a subwoofer damaged by a power surge. The Max2 didn't clamp fast enough, and my Max 1500 did but was destroyed. I had a new Max2, Max1500 and check for the subwoofer repair 2 days after submiting the claim. It is unfortunate that some of you may have had bad experiences, but both my personal and professional experiences have been excellent with this company.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-23-2000, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks,

I think we will be getting him a panamax. I have problems myself with the Monster brand name but don't have any experience with their power centers so I was wondering,
Thanks guy

------------------
Gifford Largey
AudioVision Systems
post #15 of 16 Old 12-26-2000, 12:02 PM

I know that I am getting into this thread kind of late into the game, but have you looked into Tice's Solo series? This would be their lowest cost power conditioners and I have heard that they are pretty good. I just recently bought a Solo HC (high current) myself, for my subs. I haven't done much testing of it yet (just installed it two days ago), but so far it has been great. Plus the unit is well assembled and finished. And like you've stated, I also like the PS Audio Power Plants (although much more expensive!$!)
post #16 of 16 Old 12-26-2000, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks man I'll look into the Tice.

------------------
Gifford Largey
AudioVision Systems
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List