Will 40' Of S-Video Cable Work OK? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-26-2000, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm forced to use a 40' s-video cable to reach my projector. Will this be problematical in any way as far a signal loss/degradation? If so what are the best solutions?

Thank you for all answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-26-2000, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom M:
I'm forced to use a 40' s-video cable to reach my projector. Will this be problematical in any way as far a signal loss/degradation? If so what are the best solutions?

I was talking to my installer about this a couple of months ago, and he said that the problem with a lot of S-Video cables is that the internal conductors are pretty thin and lightweight, on the order of 22-gauge (or less). Shielding is also a problem.

He felt that a better solution would be to use TWO separate shielded cables, split the S-Video (Y/C) signal out to two conductors with an adapter, and then run the two wires as needed. At the end of the two wires, use another adapter to go back to the regular S-Video connector.

That having been said, I'm using a 25' Better Cables S-video line in my bedroom system, and it looks fine to me. What I have seen in the past when cables are too long is a kind of "blurring" in high-frequency detail signals, and an increase in horizontal smearing (not exactly like a ghost -- more like clamp-streaking). In theory, this makes sense, because the HF signals are the first to go in long cable lengths. I haven't seen any visual problems with the Better Cables stuff, but I think going beyond 25' in a one-piece cable is pushing it.

Try the two-piece idea and see if that works.

--Marc Wielage
mfw@musictrax.com

post #3 of 3 Old 12-26-2000, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wireworld's S-video cables don't have a problem with long runs probably because they do use two of their normal coaxs to make them (instead of ultathin conductors). Even their cheapest one was fine at like 60 feet.

------------------
Gifford Largey
AudioVision Systems
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page