post #31 of 169 Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

PT: just stumbled on your project on the "what did you get for Christmas" thread. I agree, the basement is a major selling point in any house. It was definitely in my case. Nice job all around, any samples of the beer? My basement is about 28x18, bar measures 5x9. Keep the update pictures coming!! Here are some of my basement pix..

Thanks a lot! Sadly samples are only served locally

I like your bar space a lot, looks really nice and "complete" - that is what we are hoping for when we get done... we want that area to look like it's own space - even though it is open to the rest of the room.

Thanks for looking! I'll try to post up the plans for the bartop once I start drawing them up.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 169 Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

Got a Wood Technologies CC-12 center channel speaker stand

I think you may have posted this in another thread, but what's the model for the FS51 stands? I can't find it if you did specify. You might want to include the stands in your equipment list here anyway.

Thanks.
post #33 of 169 Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe they are the WT-10.5 model.
Wood Technologies 10.5" tall stands.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #34 of 169 Old 01-04-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Took a few screen pics at the request of another forum member - these are from playing Skyrim tonight... Couldn't find my camera, so these are crappy iPhone pics:
With the obnoxious overhead fluorescents on:

Normal viewing with room lights off and only the light behind the screen on:

...hmm... Looks likes should have went somewhere that DIDN'T have a blizzard or blue light shining just to show how great the graphics really are... Haha!

-Aaron
post #35 of 169 Old 01-08-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We have finalized the plans for improving the bar itself - still working on the details of the bar "room"... as in color for the walls, if we are going to change the ceiling tiles... etc.

I have my list for picking up the wood - I will describe the plan, since I SUCK at using sketchup or those other programs:
Step one is removing the existing bartop from the shelf units it sits on - the shelf units are 8 foot wide (total), 34" high, 12" deep. I am going to make a "top" for the shelf units out of 3/4" plywood - it will be 8'x1' to cover the shelves. On top of that we will be using 2x8s to make "studs" and to frame out the space where the drawers on the backside will go. On top of that will be 3/4" plywood cut to a modified version of the current bartop's size (making a couple of tweaks to it to make it look nicer). Hardwood flooring will go on top of the 3/4" plywood, bar railing around the edges - epoxy at a later date.
Front of the bar will be faced in hardwood flooring as well. We will router a groove in the underside of the bartop for some recessed LED light strips.

Anyway that's the plan... it is drawn out on a sheet of paper, but that doesn't give much to go on

-Aaron
post #36 of 169 Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright - a few projects are going to start happening very quickly...

1) The bar REbuild is going to happen on one of the upcoming weekends...

2) I ordered a pair of Emotiva ERD-1 speakers for side surrounds... those will be installed sometime next week.

3) I am removing the fluorescent lighting from the room and installing 6 recessed can lights - and I am currently trying to figure out the best way to control them so that I can have 3 individual dimmable zones. I already have some X10 stuff in the room, so I may look into that, but I'm open to ideas.

4) I am completely changing the front of my movie room. I will be removing the 2 entertainment center parts - which will require me to move all of my equipment to a new location. That location will be the built in shelves in the front/right part of the room. This will also require rewiring all of my speakers, adding wiring for the front 3 speakers, adding subwoofer wiring, and adding in RF control to make sure no remote commands are missed. I will also be putting in corner shelves in the front of the room on either side to display my movie memorabilia that is currently in the entertainment center piece at the front of the room. The sub will also be moving to the front of the room from its current location at the edge of the couch NEAR the front of the room.

Here is the awesome drawing I did of the front of the room - for a 2am drawing I think it is pretty great... I put far too much effort into drawing the movie stuff out...

Front and back walls of the room will be painted a dark grey color once I get this project under way - the side walls will probably end up a deep dark blue color. I would go with black in the front - but since I am viewing a DLP TV, I want to have a backlight behind it shining on the wall - and a black wall wouldn't really be conducive to that idea.

Okay... I think I'll go to sleep now...

-Aaron
post #37 of 169 Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Very nice set-up Aaron, I would love to have a basment space like that, unfortunately basements are a rarity here in Az, and those you do find are quite expensive. I've been looking at the Pio's and stumbled accross your thread through that thread, figured I'd take a peak since you are the only one posting pics in that thread How are they holding up? Still happy with the sound?
post #38 of 169 Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Alright - a few projects are going to start happening very quickly...

1) The bar REbuild is going to happen on one of the upcoming weekends...

2) I ordered a pair of Emotiva ERD-1 speakers for side surrounds... those will be installed sometime next week.

3) I am removing the fluorescent lighting from the room and installing 6 recessed can lights - and I am currently trying to figure out the best way to control them so that I can have 3 individual dimmable zones. I already have some X10 stuff in the room, so I may look into that, but I'm open to ideas.

4) I am completely changing the front of my movie room. I will be removing the 2 entertainment center parts - which will require me to move all of my equipment to a new location. That location will be the built in shelves in the front/right part of the room. This will also require rewiring all of my speakers, adding wiring for the front 3 speakers, adding subwoofer wiring, and adding in RF control to make sure no remote commands are missed. I will also be putting in corner shelves in the front of the room on either side to display my movie memorabilia that is currently in the entertainment center piece at the front of the room. The sub will also be moving to the front of the room from its current location at the edge of the couch NEAR the front of the room.

Here is the awesome drawing I did of the front of the room - for a 2am drawing I think it is pretty great... I put far too much effort into drawing the movie stuff out...

Front and back walls of the room will be painted a dark grey color once I get this project under way - the side walls will probably end up a deep dark blue color. I would go with black in the front - but since I am viewing a DLP TV, I want to have a backlight behind it shining on the wall - and a black wall wouldn't really be conducive to that idea.

Okay... I think I'll go to sleep now...

Looking good. I like that the Vader head has been accounted for and planned around
post #39 of 169 Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

Very nice set-up Aaron, I would love to have a basment space like that, unfortunately basements are a rarity here in Az, and those you do find are quite expensive. I've been looking at the Pio's and stumbled accross your thread through that thread, figured I'd take a peak since you are the only one posting pics in that thread How are they holding up? Still happy with the sound?

Thanks for stopping by!
I really like the Pioneers, very happy with the sound and I get compliments all the time from people that come over on how the system as a whole sounds.
In the Pio thread seems to be full of people that talk about the speakers as if they require excessive power or can't get loud - and that simply isn't true! They get plenty loud to fill the whole basement without maxing out he volume if I leave my media room doors open.
Quote:

Looking good. I like that the Vader head has been accounted for and planned around

Haha! Thanks For some reason, at 2am, it seemed important to draw where Vader was going to go!

-Aaron
post #40 of 169 Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am currently looking at paint colors... I have decided to model my room vaguely after ScubaSteve's room (the Scuba Tank) in terms of colors.. He has a nice blue color on the walls and grey carpet... I am going to do the side walls in a deep blue color and the front/back walls in a grey. I don't want to go with a black wall behind the TV because I use a back light behind the TV, and if the wall was black I would lose that benefit.

Right now I'm considering 3 blues from Behr: Sorcerer's Hat (a Disney color), Award Blue, and Sapphire Lace ... also have 2 greys picked out - but I can't remember the names of the samples I just bought.

Also picked up a pre-made corner shelf at Home Depot to test out the size... I will probably be using it as a pattern to make my own if it fits properly.

-Aaron
post #41 of 169 Old 01-18-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fed Ex guy came by the clinic today...

-Aaron
post #42 of 169 Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is the blue I am leaning towards:
and this is the gray:

-Aaron
post #43 of 169 Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 PM

Looking good and I love the space. Who says nothing good is happening in Michigan?

Also, I just HAVE to get me a German flag for my space. That is just too awesome.
post #44 of 169 Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan94 View Post

Looking good and I love the space. Who says nothing good is happening in Michigan?

Also, I just HAVE to get me a German flag for my space. That is just too awesome.

Thanks!

Flag is from the brewing museum in Frankenmuth

-Aaron
post #45 of 169 Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Went to dinner with some friends last night - so I didn't get down to the movie room until around midnight, but I really wanted to put up the new speakers.
Putting them in their final locations would have required removing a large mirror on the left side and relocating a movie poster on the right so I temporarily mounted them about 12" forward of my old side speakers.
Unfortunately I miscalculated an now they set just ahead of my ears.., ugh... Should have made the CENTER of the speaker move 12" forward, not the back edge... Midnight math isn't good.

Anyway - here they are in their temp locations:
left side

right side

Sadly the only testing I did was to get out the SPL meter and set them, then play Skyrim - wife was asleep so I couldn't play movie scenes

-Aaron
post #46 of 169 Old 01-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Looks good. Would love to know how those emotiva surrounds sound...
post #47 of 169 Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks good. Would love to know how those emotiva surrounds sound...

Me too... I won't get to really test them out until Saturday.
So far they sound good while playing Skyrim at low volume.

I'm curious how happy my AVR is going to be running 6 ohm front and rear speakers with 4 ohm side speakers at "movie volume".

-Aaron
post #48 of 169 Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Me too... I won't get to really test them out until Saturday.
So far they sound good while playing Skyrim at low volume.

I'm curious how happy my AVR is going to be running 6 ohm front and rear speakers with 4 ohm side speakers at "movie volume".

I think the HK will be fine, it's a nice piece of kit and should'nt have a problem

I think I have moved on from the Pio's myself, to be honest it I think I hyped myself for them because they are really good speakers and for the price I could have gotten them now. I've since moved on to getting into the Arx A5 group buy, really high end speakers at a really good price. Something that'll keep the upgrade itch from being scratched for a while I still love your set-up and I'll be poking my nose in here frequently
post #49 of 169 Old 01-20-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't seen the group buy, but I'm kid of glad
I tend to find excuses to upgrade things that don't need it enough as it stands - so i'll be sticking with the pioneers for a while. With too many expensive hobbies, I have to set limits on how long I have to keep something before upgrading! LOL!

-Aaron
post #50 of 169 Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for following though! I'll try to actually have some progress pics to show very soon ... Instead of just little updates to the decor of the rooms

-Aaron
post #51 of 169 Old 01-21-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got some minor work done on the media room today... Took a ton of pictures though - so get ready!

Made a new shelf for the built in shelving area that is going to become the equipment rack... this should have been really easy, but it turns out the space is trapezoid shaped, so the shelf needed to be 1" more narrow at the back than the front - simple to fix, but irritating to find out! I assumed the shelf I had brought up to "make a copy of" had just been cut like that on accident.

Here is a shot of the (very cluttered) shelves where the equipment will be going:

AVR will be on the top shelf - I will be putting a fan in the wall on the right side to pull hot air away and into the utility room that is on the other side of the wall.

Then I took on the extremely simple job of installing the gang box for the future can lights. The previous owner had an electrical outlet and a switch that was labeled "neon" on the wall - so I decided to put my switches here. Problem is that they didn't space them out very well - here is the wall marked for a 3 gang box:

... not quite...

Here it is marked for a 4 gang box:

... still not quite... but lets try it anyway:

Nice gaps on either side...

Luckily the cover plate I picked up was "oversized" - so it worked out exactly perfectly!

Here is where that is in the room:

Notice the blank plate at an awkward angle up above the switches? They had a phone jack there... and did a great job of lining that hole up
I will be patching that with the drywall I cut out installing the box - and a poster will be going there anyway so it doesn't matter if my patchwork sucks.

Right now the 2 switches on the right are Lutron IR switches that will control the lights over the door and couch, the space with nothing will be the X10 switch I already have which will control the front set of cans, and the blank plate is there for either a 4th switch if I do some side lights for the posters - or to put an IR receiver for the Insteon system when I install that.

Just to show how the room looks now - here are a few more pictures...

Left side

I already removed one of the "entertainment center" pieces... looks so unbalanced right now!

Right side

-Aaron
post #52 of 169 Old 01-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Looks pretty good, what's your timeline for the screen and pj? What size format are you going with? And are going to build a stage?
post #53 of 169 Old 01-21-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks pretty good, what's your timeline for the screen and pj? What size format are you going with? And are going to build a stage?

With the purchase of the 73" TV in November, the screen and PJ plans have been cancelled for the foreseeable future.

I would love a dedicated theater room with a screen and projector - but my wife rarely watches movies with me because she prefers to watch them on her little tv while scrap booking. It makes it hard to justify the cost of the projector/screen when I am already really happy with the 73" TV.

-Aaron
post #54 of 169 Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hadn't really planned to do it today - but it looks like I'll be doing the lighting this afternoon.
I was going to go drill some holes and pull some wires - and my wife ended up calling my father in-law because she thought I was somehow going to electrocute myself... so now we're doing lights this afternoon. Will be glad to get it done - but I still haven't had a chance to watch a dang movie at "movie volume" with those new speakers!

-Aaron
post #55 of 169 Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Very envious Aaron!

Question--how high is your ceiling in the viewing area?
post #56 of 169 Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

... the blank plate is there for either a 4th switch if I do some side lights for the posters - or to put an IR receiver for the Insteon system when I install that.

Just be aware that the J-box mounted IR receivers are generally not rated to be mixed with line-voltage (120V) devices. You'll need a divider (looks like your box can accept one) to separate the low-volt from line-voltage to meet code. (check with your electrician, YMMV)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #57 of 169 Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcs41 View Post

Very envious Aaron!

Question--how high is your ceiling in the viewing area?

7'11" in the back, 7'5" in the front.

-Aaron
post #58 of 169 Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Just be aware that the J-box mounted IR receivers are generally not rated to be mixed with line-voltage (120V) devices. You'll need a divider (looks like your box can accept one) to separate the low-volt from line-voltage to meet code. (check with your electrician, YMMV)

Jeff

Good to know, thanks.

-Aaron
post #59 of 169 Old 01-22-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had a chance to watch some clips from the home theater demo disc before we started on the lights - and the Emotiva's sound awesome.

It is funny how you don't realize what you are missing until you hear it.

-Aaron
post #60 of 169 Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:

7'11" in the back, 7'5" in the front.

Nice. They made mine small in our 28 yr old house...7 feet. Makes it tough to put any type of ceiling in and not feel cramped (I am 6'3"). Not having the cash to lower the basement, I went with re-doing the den.

Loving your set up though. Subscribed.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page