PTAaron's Movie Room/Basement Bar and Game area - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 169 Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I've just finished reading this whole thread. Nice work. I initially thought you were crazy when I saw the blue, but the finished product looks great.

I can't wait to see what the future holds...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 169 Old 03-26-2012, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

I've just finished reading this whole thread. Nice work. I initially thought you were crazy when I saw the blue, but the finished product looks great.

I can't wait to see what the future holds...

Thanks!

I was having some serious doubts about my choice when I first started putting it on the wall since it was SO bright... Luckily it dried to be the color I was expecting!
Next step is to put my things back in there - and use the room a bit before making any more changes. We have a backlog of movies to watch

I will hopefully be starting on the bartop teardown next weekend so we can get the rebuild rolling.

That project is going to require some serious building skills that I'm not sure I actually possess.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #153 of 169 Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

I like the colors, very lively when lit and subdued when dark, good choices. And I think a riser would be perfect in that room.
post #154 of 169 Old 03-26-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

I like the colors, very lively when lit and subdued when dark, good choices. And I think a riser would be perfect in that room.

Thank you! The color does completely disappear when I hit the "movie" setting on my lights.

I agree - a riser would be great in the room - plenty of space for it. It will happen in the future for certain. Right now I don't have the budget to get the right seating though. I would like to do a set of 3 for first row and loveseat for the second, or something similar.
The problem I see when doing a riser is "surround" channel location because of the shape of the right wall - but that is something to worry about later

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #155 of 169 Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Moved most of the stuff back into the room.

TV and speakers first...

Then everything else... Just a big mess of pictures:

New curtain looks good, but the light switches need to change color somehow...

I need to figure out where on this wall the other 2 movie posters will go... Wife wants a bigger movie rack - so we'll see..

...and out the doors you can see the remaining posters and things... Also the red blanket that no longer matches

-Aaron
post #156 of 169 Old 03-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Are you going to change the ceiling tiles? Or are you going to leave them? And a new rack for the movies would be nice something a little taller to fill the space and leave room for the ever-growing collection.
post #157 of 169 Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

Are you going to change the ceiling tiles? Or are you going to leave them? And a new rack for the movies would be nice something a little taller to fill the space and leave room for the ever-growing collection.

For the immediate future the tiles will remain white... Once the bar is complete I will be taking them over the int in-laws an spraying them black with the father inlaws paint setup.
We're looking at something taller for exactly that reason - to fill the area and make room!
There are still 2 posters to go up on that left wall - I'm not used to having all that wide open real estate!

-Aaron
post #158 of 169 Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Aaron nice job! I like that blue. I am considering midnight blue for one wall and charcoal grey for the other. In that first pic, your canned lighting is just like mine, Two panels between. If that comes out 4 panels deep, you could replace those 8 panels (basically 2 panels wide by 4 panels deep) giving you the perfect opening for an inset Star Panel Ceiling. Basically a 4'x8' black panel would either rest on the existing drop ceiling frame or inset it with a frame with velvet wrap to make it look like you are looking in the ceiling. I know, I am evil lol. Just something to think about in the future. After all the work over the year I have to say thats one hell of a side project man. Good job.

(Wish I could get motivated like that.)

Cool Beans.
post #159 of 169 Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

Aaron nice job! I like that blue. I am considering midnight blue for one wall and charcoal grey for the other. In that first pic, your canned lighting is just like mine, Two panels between. If that comes out 4 panels deep, you could replace those 8 panels (basically 2 panels wide by 4 panels deep) giving you the perfect opening for an inset Star Panel Ceiling. Basically a 4'x8' black panel would either rest on the existing drop ceiling frame or inset it with a frame with velvet wrap to make it look like you are looking in the ceiling. I know, I am evil lol. Just something to think about in the future. After all the work over the year I have to say thats one hell of a side project man. Good job.

(Wish I could get motivated like that.)

Thanks!
You know, it is funny you mention doing that with the ceiling - I was sitting down there last night looking at the ceiling thinking about doing just that! LOL!
Midnight blue and charcoal grey would be nice, I had considered options along those lines as well. I just totally fell in love with this blue color when I saw it, even though it is brighter than "typical" for a theater.

-Aaron
post #160 of 169 Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm currently debating about how to spend some birthday Amazon gift cards that I got... I have it narrowed down to a few things for the movie room, and a few things related to other hobbies...

The movie room options are:
1) Behringer DSP1124P - "Feedback Destroyer Pro"... which would require me to pick up a few additional items to be able to download settings from REW into the EQ.
2) APC G5BLK power center - to clean up my cord mess a bit and hopefully give better protection than my current power strips. Also has the theoretical benefit of "cleaning up" the power - if I believed in that I would probably consider that a good feature.
3) "Now Showing" sign with changeable letters... that would be cool, but honestly I don't know if I would use it very often...

-Aaron
post #161 of 169 Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really need to get my real camera downstairs and get some updated pictures... maybe after I finally clean up from the painting project...

No new updates - other than that the Harmony PS3 adapter I have has stopped working

Still trying to decide what to get for the room - leaning most heavily towards the DSP-1124P ... seems like it could be the most useful for the longest time...

-Aaron
post #162 of 169 Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looked at Craig's List for the first time yesterday - and discovered someone right down the street selling a pool table light for a great price. Soooo....

Looks like someone converted it to have a plug (plug is brown, wire is black) - but otherwise it is awesome and very solid... All metal. Colors fit the room perfectly

-Aaron
post #163 of 169 Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New (to me) toy arrived today at work...
Picked up a used DSP-1124P from another forum member, and used my Amazon gift cards to order a Dayton mic, USB soundcard/phantom amp, XLR cables, and a MIDI to USB cable - those should arrive this week.

-Aaron
post #164 of 169 Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Started out the day with a goal: hang the pool table light and get it wired before I had to leave to meet friends for a Pistons game... So here is a nice long photo filled story of the day.

Turned the pool table into a work bench and got a plan together with some help from my father in-law - got a late start as usual, so we only had a few hours to work with:

Plan was to run a 2x4 across some floor joists in the center of the table to mount some eye bolts into and to also use as a mounting platform for a box where an outlet would be installed in the ceiling.

While I got to work cutting the 2x4 and measuring for placement Gary figured out how the "mystery switch" in the basement was getting power and how we were going to use it to get power to our new light:

Turns out the "mystery switch" once was apparently a 3rd switch tied into controlling the can lights in the room - it ended up being a 4 wire bundle running into this rat next of wire:

I know it is a bad picture - but there are 3 standard romex lines and 1 5 wire bundle coming together in there...

After a lot of tile removal, wire tracing, swearing at the person that wired things previously, 2 trips to home depot because we got the wrong length eye bolts, and one instance of cutting a wire that was still live (OOPS!) - we got the lights hung!

Then we ran off to the basketball game - I'm not a huge sports fan, but we were given tickets and had access to the VIP lounge with free food and drinks... So we had an AMAZING time! The game ended up being pretty exciting right up until the end where we won!

And finally - a few shots without the stuff on the table:

The can lights cast a bit of a shadow - but dimming them makes things look perfect!

While we worked on the light - my wife organized her vodka ... Can you tell she likes flavored vodka?

(this is less than half of the different vodkas we have... We need help drinking it!)

For comparison - my absinthe collection is much smaller ... Only half a shelf!

-Aaron
post #165 of 169 Old 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM

looking good my man but i have a question on your lights. those lutron ir's are not rated for cfl and led's are you running them and if you are do you notice any flickering or heisitations?
post #166 of 169 Old 04-24-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat black ricer View Post

looking good my man but i have a question on your lights. those lutron ir's are not rated for cfl and led's are you running them and if you are do you notice any flickering or heisitations?

Thank you!
I am just running standard bulbs in them. I haven't had good luck with dimmable CFLs in the past, so I just stayed with standard bulbs.

-Aaron
post #167 of 169 Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had a chance to really try out the pool table light tonight - I like it A LOT! I ended up just taking out the 2 can light bulbs that were over the table so we could have the rest of the area lit up without the annoying shadows on the table - that seemed to work out really well. I may look into running a separate switch for those 2 cans so I can have them on when we aren't playing and off when we are. Other thought was to get the directional "eyeball" fixtures and direct the light to the poker table and to the side wall... We'll see what ends up being a better option.
In the meantime - here is a low light cell phone pic of the table in use:

-Aaron
post #168 of 169 Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Been gone for a while - because the update to the forum caused the app to no longer work... but now that I remembered to log in on a real computer - I can give you guys the update that I haven't updated the room at all wink.gif

Summer time has pretty much sucked up all of the time I would be using to do the bar rebuild - but hopefully soon I will get a chance to do it!

-Aaron
post #169 of 169 Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 PM

Liked: 12
So you have had six months! Any new updates?

Travis

Travis

XT32 rocks!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page