PTAaron's Movie Room/Basement Bar and Game area - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #181 of 272 Old 12-03-2015, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
Nice space, everything looks amazing!
Thanks for checking it out

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - working on v2.0 in 2016, check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 272 Old 12-09-2015, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still haven't been able to get a response from OnlineCarstereo about correcting their mistake... had to file a PayPal dispute Monday, and they haven't bothered to respond to that yet either. If I don't hear something by tonight I will have to "Escalate" the dispute to get PayPal to force them to return my money. This sucks.

-Aaron
post #183 of 272 Old 12-09-2015, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On a positive note - my PS4 with Star Wars Battlefront arrived yesterday! Have it hooked up to the "little" TV in the living room right now just to get the game downloaded and installed, but I'll be moving it to the theater tonight now that it is ready to play!

I'll add pics of my most recent updates soon...

-Aaron
post #184 of 272 Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looks awesome!
PTAaron likes this.
post #185 of 272 Old 12-10-2015, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterruss View Post
Looks awesome!
Thanks!

-Aaron
post #186 of 272 Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Big updates coming this week:
An upgraded subwoofer driver will be arriving today. Ended up buying one from a different company - Online Car Stereo is making me ship the "wrong item" they sent me back to them at my expense for them to refund my money. Crazy to have to pay for their mistake, but at least they finally got back to me after PayPal made them.

Tomorrow the Great Northern Popcorn Machine I ordered will be arriving... that is going to be awesome!

-Aaron
post #187 of 272 Old 12-16-2015, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Couple of photos of the new subwoofer driver that arrived yesterday:

-Aaron
post #188 of 272 Old 12-16-2015, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Popcorn machine arrived... Immediately unpacked of, cleaned it, set it up on our bar and popped some popcorn to eat while watching Return of the Jedi:

After the movie I unpacked the rest of the box and assembled the cart:

That isn't the final location... Once I get the basement rearranged I'll post some final photos.

-Aaron
post #189 of 272 Old 12-17-2015, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mmmmmmmmmm!!
New delivery from Amazon!
Can't wait to try it out Sunday!

-Aaron
post #190 of 272 Old 12-18-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looks great! Do you have any updated pics of the ceiling painted all black? Did you do the whole ceiling or just in the theater part?

I have a drop ceiling, but stayed white with all except in the bar/kitchen area where its tin/bronze. If I add a projector later, I can paint the tiles if need be.

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Denon x2100w AVR | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)

My basement reno: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post33708177
post #191 of 272 Old 12-18-2015, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post
Looks great! Do you have any updated pics of the ceiling painted all black? Did you do the whole ceiling or just in the theater part?

I have a drop ceiling, but stayed white with all except in the bar/kitchen area where its tin/bronze. If I add a projector later, I can paint the tiles if need be.
Thanks!
This is the only picture I currently have of it with the ceiling all black:

-Aaron
post #192 of 272 Old 12-18-2015, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry - forgot to answer the second half of the question: Just did the theater part. The rest of the basement has plain white walls and white ceiling... we have a lot of band memorabilia and bar signs covering most of the walls. White ceilings keep the space feeling more open.

-Aaron
post #193 of 272 Old 12-20-2015, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Installed the new driver in my sub today... I wrote it up in the Elemental Designs thread - so I won't double post it over here and bore you guys with it again
It sounds great - I will get some REW readings of it soon to see if there is any actual difference, or if it just my imagination.

Also rearranged the basement a bit - and got the popcorn machine into its new home. Just need to add a sign or 2 to label it as the refreshment counter:

Did add a little table after taking the first photo:

...and of course had to make a batch of popcorn... this time I used this stuff - and it was GREAT!

Ended up with way too much - hopefully my coworkers want popcorn tomorrow

-Aaron
post #194 of 272 Old 12-22-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looks like you're ready to start hosting movie nights! Once I'm "done" with the build/renovation, I may add the popcorn machine into the mix - although I've been eyeing a old school stand up arcade 60-1 machine instead.

Nice work!

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Denon x2100w AVR | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)

My basement reno: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post33708177
post #195 of 272 Old 12-22-2015, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post
Looks like you're ready to start hosting movie nights! Once I'm "done" with the build/renovation, I may add the popcorn machine into the mix - although I've been eyeing a old school stand up arcade 60-1 machine instead.

Nice work!
Definitely looking forward to hosting some movie nights

That would be a tough decision to make between the arcade machine and the popcorn maker... popcorn maker would probably be the winner for me by a small margin because you can eat the popcorn while watching movies - can't play the game while watching movies

-Aaron
post #196 of 272 Old 01-10-2016, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stopped by Detroit Popcorn Company yesterday and picked up some goodies:

Set up a little Concession area:

RBalwinski likes this.

-Aaron
post #197 of 272 Old 01-10-2016, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think I ever shared the photos of some of the smaller changes I made in the room last month...

Kind of hard to get a good photo of this one because the room isnt very bright - but you get the idea:

I thought it was a cool addition - looks a lot better in person than in the pictures

I also replaced my rear surround speakers... I had been using a pair of random KLH speaker that I had laying around when I first set up the room, so I decided to get something a little better without spending much money. I decided on this set from Dayton because they were roughly the same size and had decent enough looking stats.

Not high end stuff by any means... but they work for me

-Aaron
post #198 of 272 Old 01-21-2016, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PTAaron's Movie Room/Basement Bar and Game area

Latest project has been installing an ethernet network in the house - until now all of the internet connections in the theater room have been via wifi. The main wireless router is upstairs in my wife's office, so I installed a bridge in the furnace room next to the theater.
Last weekend I decided I wanted a hard line to my PS4 since I've been online with it quite a bit playing Star Wars Battlefront - so I cut a hole in the wall in my wife's office and ran some Cat5e down into the basement and along the ceiling tiles to plug into the PS4.

After noticing the huge improvement in speed (network test indicated that the speed was doubled!!) I decided I wanted to hook up everything else to hard lines.

I grabbed an old wireless router that I had laying around and put that into the mix to get everything else networked as a short term solution:

After getting some great advice in the Networking section of the forum I decided to redo the way the internet gets distributed in my house - so I ordered an ethernet switch and bought another router.

Basically I will be moving the cable modem down into the room next to my theater, adding a new wireless router down there to be the primary router, using the run I put in last weekend to connect the router in my wife's office to the one in the basement, adding a 8 port switch to the router in the basement, and running a long cable run up to my office on the second floor. This will eliminate the wireless bridge in the basement, and the need for my office computer to connect to the network via spotty wifi card.

Anyway - that's the current update.

-Aaron

Last edited by PTAaron; 01-21-2016 at 04:29 PM.
post #199 of 272 Old 01-23-2016, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night I had all of my parts together and got to work!

First step was building a shelf to hold everything - luckily I had a scrap shelf piece laying around... bundled up my cables to make things look nicer... redid the distribution of my cable/internet service where it comes into the house... moved the cable modem, "phone service" modem, a wireless router, and a TP-Link 8 port switch onto the new shelf.

Ran out of time to run the cat 5e line up to the second floor - so that will be something to do tomorrow.

-Aaron
post #200 of 272 Old 03-01-2016, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been busy with the "network connection room"...
First thing I did was add a couple of outlets under my "network shelf" so I could get rid of the power strip and make it look less like it was set up by a child:

Not super exciting, but there you have it

Around the same time I was doing that I saw some nice looking fairly cheap speaker cables on Monoprice - figured it would save me the trouble of making my own "fancy" speaker cables so I had to order them:

...I think I need to dust my wall...

So that was about 3 weeks ago.

-Aaron
post #201 of 272 Old 03-01-2016, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I started talking with a fried of mine about trying to distribute some video over the network - and he decided it was time I finally got a Home Theater Computer, so he built me one!

It is an older HP 6460b laptop running Kodi on OpenELEC connected to my AVR via Display Port to HDMI cable.
I used a metal shelf I had laying around that we originally bought for our smoker (turned out to be for the wrong model) to make a computer shelf:

I picked up a 6TB desktop harddrive at Costco for storing media on... Ended up looking like this:

I also ran a Cat6 cable to a panel in the theater room so I could plug in for a faster connection - didn't bother taking pictures because I'm sure you guys know what a Cat6 plug looks like...

"Network shelf" looks like this now:

I just ordered an 8 port cable TV booster/distribution block so I will be bringing my cable connection into the and setting that up this coming weekend. We've got a few too many splitters in the system right now and we're having issues with our upstairs TVs, hopefully this plan will help.

Anyway - that's where we are right now...

-Aaron
post #202 of 272 Old 03-30-2016, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Major changes have been happening... been documenting the changes in a different thread: Building a riser and adding a wall...

Once everything is done I will post up some comparison photos here in this thread.

-Aaron
post #203 of 272 Old 04-11-2016, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just so it is in this thread... here is a summary of what happened outside the movie room last month. (full details and a lot more pictures are in the previously mentioned thread)

Double doors are gone, have been replaced with a new wall that has drywall attached, but unfinished. Just used standard 1/2" drywall to match what was already on the existing wall.
A new 34" door has been installed in the location that was previously the "Concession Area" - not a fancy door, just a basic foam core door for now. The rest of the room isn't soundproof so I didn't see the need to go with a fancy heavy door at the moment.
Here is the transformation of the outside of the room - the current status is that we temporarily decorated the area because we had company over:

Still to do outside the room:
1) tape and mud drywall
2) Paint new wall and entire south wall of the basement - not sure what color.
3) Install trim
4) Tack down the carpet along the new section of wall - I've been afraid to cut it until I get the trim installed and see exactly where it needs to end up.
5) buy and mount 40" TV on wall where the outlet is under the temporary location of the concession sign.
6) get rid of movie racks and put movies in storage since they are all on hard drive now.
7) find a cabinet to use to make a concession stand

-Aaron

Last edited by PTAaron; 04-11-2016 at 02:43 PM.
post #204 of 272 Old 04-11-2016, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The outside transformation really makes the rest of the basement feel "different"... unfortunately it makes it look and feel smaller because you can't see into the "movie room" anymore.

The transformation on the inside of the room makes that "different" feeling completely worth it! I feel like I have an actual "home theater" now instead of a "movie room" - maybe that doesn't make sense, but before I felt strange calling it a "home theater", now I have no problem at all.

Here is the transformation starting from an old picture of the inside of the room through the current "temporarily done" state. Note that the riser carpet is only temporary until I can decide on and afford new carpet for the whole room.

This was roughly the plan I followed - in this plan the riser is not as wide as the final design, it ended up being 9'6" in the end.

So the remaining to do list for the inside of the room:
1) Tape and mud dywall
2) Paint entire back wall black
3) Put up trim
4) Figure out a solution for the threshold and a way to stop light from leaking under the door
5) Add Deadpool poster to the space between the door and the Kings of Summer poster
6) Decide on and have new carpet installed in the room.
7) Long term - projector and screen.
8) Long term - replace rear row, or at least the corner rear row seat

-Aaron

Last edited by PTAaron; 04-11-2016 at 03:19 PM.
post #205 of 272 Old 04-11-2016, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also of note, in addition to the addition of a HTPC running Kodi I made some changes to my equipment.

Obviously I added 3 home theater recliners that I got at Costco for $299 apiece - hell of a deal for full grain leather with electronic recline and tables!

I was able to rearrange where my speakers sit since I didn't have to worry about the couch being in the way of the left speaker anymore.

I also brought my old AVR-635 back into the mix to work as an amplifier while my AVR-3600 became just a pre-amp/processor. This lets the much more accurately rated and powerful 635 do the heavy lifting for playback - and it sounds great! I was going to do this a long time ago, but I was still using the IR from my Harmony 1100 to control things and there was no way to separate out the commands going to the receivers - now I'm using the RF extender and I have it plug directly into the back of the receivers so they can be controlled individually! Woohoo! Only problem is if the 635 loses power, it "forgets" that I have a 7.1 system and the 8 Channel Direct mode switches itself to 6 Channel Direct

I have watched 2 movies so far in the "temporary" setup - Guardians of the Galaxy and Funny Farm. GotG was watched at -15, which is 5 higher than I normally go and it sounded amazing - the bass was a little less in the first row than the second row, but it was still satisfying. Funny Farm - well that one is in 2 channel DTS HD Master Audio... but at least it is hilarious.

I think that brings us about up to speed...

-Aaron
post #206 of 272 Old 04-13-2016, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some HT goodies showed up from Amazon last night: a new scooper for the popcorn machine that has holes to stop old maids from getting scooped up, some new metal thumbsticks for a PS4 controller, a FLIRC module for the HTPC, and a 10' long USB extension cable to connect the FLIRC to the computer from the equipment rack where the IR blasters from my remote are.

The FLIRC is an AWESOME addition! I was having fun controlling the HTPC from my phone and tablet, which is still better for picking a movie, but it is really nice to have the ability to go through menus and control the movie from my Harmony 1100.
I am going to play around a little and see if I can get the "macro workaround" to work with this so I can have the lights go down on play, come up on pause, and go full bright on stop like they do with blu-rays. Only part that is slightly tricky is that I will have to set up another Harmony remote to control Kodi so I can send the proper command sequences to record. The 1100 would be perfect if it had the ability to program real macros - but the "work around" does the job.

-Aaron
post #207 of 272 Old 04-17-2016, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Working on the drywall this weekend... I'm not good at this at all! LOL!
I feel like the whole wall will be mud by the time I'm done trying to make it even.

-Aaron
post #208 of 272 Old 04-17-2016, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
Some HT goodies showed up from Amazon last night: a new scooper for the popcorn machine that has holes to stop old maids from getting scooped up, some new metal thumbsticks for a PS4 controller, a FLIRC module for the HTPC, and a 10' long USB extension cable to connect the FLIRC to the computer from the equipment rack where the IR blasters from my remote are.

The FLIRC is an AWESOME addition! I was having fun controlling the HTPC from my phone and tablet, which is still better for picking a movie, but it is really nice to have the ability to go through menus and control the movie from my Harmony 1100.
I am going to play around a little and see if I can get the "macro workaround" to work with this so I can have the lights go down on play, come up on pause, and go full bright on stop like they do with blu-rays. Only part that is slightly tricky is that I will have to set up another Harmony remote to control Kodi so I can send the proper command sequences to record. The 1100 would be perfect if it had the ability to program real macros - but the "work around" does the job.
I also use the Harmony 1100 but I have not yet succeeded in getting it to control my HTPC. I use Jriver media center and I bought a WMC ir receiver but it doesn't work and I've not yet invested the time to figure out why. I use an iogear wireless keyboard that works well but is a bit bulky to keep handy.

I use some x10 ac switches to turn my amplifiers on and off. What are you using for lights?
post #209 of 272 Old 04-17-2016, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
I also use the Harmony 1100 but I have not yet succeeded in getting it to control my HTPC. I use Jriver media center and I bought a WMC ir receiver but it doesn't work and I've not yet invested the time to figure out why. I use an iogear wireless keyboard that works well but is a bit bulky to keep handy.

I use some x10 ac switches to turn my amplifiers on and off. What are you using for lights?
I would without hesitation suggest trying out the FLIRC device, it is $20 on Amazon. I was really hesitant thinking it was complicated to use, but it works right out of the box with the 1100 (at least with Kodi). You can map any keyboard key to any IR signal, or it comes with presets for a lot of different programs - not sure about Jriver.

For my lights I am using 3 Lutron Maestro IR switches. I have an IR blaster mounted to a picture frame that is near the switches, It is on the same port of the IR extender as the receiver, FLIRC, and blu-ray player, I just have 2 mono splitters attached to it. That allows me to pair up the play, pause, and stop commands of the media devices with the light commands. If I were starting from scratch I would have gone with an Insteon setup or the newer stuff that is RF controlled and allows switches to be controlled individually. With mine any command goes to every switch. I have the "favorite" mode on the front 2 light sets set to "off" and the rear lights set to one step up from off. I also have them set to take whatever the maximum time is to slowly turn off and turn on - gives it more of a theater feel instead of the lights just turning off/on instantly.

The "macro work around" is really simple - you just set the remote to learn a new command and hit the buttons on the original remotes in quick succession. The software interprets that as a single command, and you're all set! For "pause" I have it set to pause the movie and bring the lights up 4 steps, stop is paired up with "all on" and play is paired with the favorite button.

-Aaron
post #210 of 272 Old 04-18-2016, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As of last night we were on coat 3 of mud... and it was looking good until it dried and I ended up with a bunch of bubbles! Coat 4 will be going on tonight - VERY thin... hoping to be done. To keep myself from trying to rush it I haven't bought the paint yet, so hopefully that plan works
I had done the front black wall with an eggshell finish - I think I'll be doing the back wall with a flat finish, then also applying another coat of paint to the front wall with the flat paint. The black trim in the room will continue to be eggshell.
I'm also debating how to finish the entry door - I kind of want to do something "different" with the door trim but I'm not 100% sure what.

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar , english way cinema , Home Theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page