PTAaron's Movie Room/Basement Bar and Game area - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #181 of 199 Old 12-03-2015, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
Nice space, everything looks amazing!
Thanks for checking it out

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 199 Old 12-09-2015, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still haven't been able to get a response from OnlineCarstereo about correcting their mistake... had to file a PayPal dispute Monday, and they haven't bothered to respond to that yet either. If I don't hear something by tonight I will have to "Escalate" the dispute to get PayPal to force them to return my money. This sucks.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #183 of 199 Old 12-09-2015, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On a positive note - my PS4 with Star Wars Battlefront arrived yesterday! Have it hooked up to the "little" TV in the living room right now just to get the game downloaded and installed, but I'll be moving it to the theater tonight now that it is ready to play!

I'll add pics of my most recent updates soon...

-Aaron
post #184 of 199 Old 12-10-2015, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looks awesome!
PTAaron likes this.
post #185 of 199 Old 12-10-2015, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterruss View Post
Looks awesome!
Thanks!

-Aaron
post #186 of 199 Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Big updates coming this week:
An upgraded subwoofer driver will be arriving today. Ended up buying one from a different company - Online Car Stereo is making me ship the "wrong item" they sent me back to them at my expense for them to refund my money. Crazy to have to pay for their mistake, but at least they finally got back to me after PayPal made them.

Tomorrow the Great Northern Popcorn Machine I ordered will be arriving... that is going to be awesome!

-Aaron
post #187 of 199 Old 12-16-2015, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Couple of photos of the new subwoofer driver that arrived yesterday:

-Aaron
post #188 of 199 Old 12-16-2015, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Popcorn machine arrived... Immediately unpacked of, cleaned it, set it up on our bar and popped some popcorn to eat while watching Return of the Jedi:

After the movie I unpacked the rest of the box and assembled the cart:

That isn't the final location... Once I get the basement rearranged I'll post some final photos.

-Aaron
post #189 of 199 Old 12-17-2015, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mmmmmmmmmm!!
New delivery from Amazon!
Can't wait to try it out Sunday!

-Aaron
post #190 of 199 Old 12-18-2015, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looks great! Do you have any updated pics of the ceiling painted all black? Did you do the whole ceiling or just in the theater part?

I have a drop ceiling, but stayed white with all except in the bar/kitchen area where its tin/bronze. If I add a projector later, I can paint the tiles if need be.

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Denon x2100w AVR | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)

My basement reno: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post33708177
post #191 of 199 Old 12-18-2015, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post
Looks great! Do you have any updated pics of the ceiling painted all black? Did you do the whole ceiling or just in the theater part?

I have a drop ceiling, but stayed white with all except in the bar/kitchen area where its tin/bronze. If I add a projector later, I can paint the tiles if need be.
Thanks!
This is the only picture I currently have of it with the ceiling all black:

-Aaron
post #192 of 199 Old 12-18-2015, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry - forgot to answer the second half of the question: Just did the theater part. The rest of the basement has plain white walls and white ceiling... we have a lot of band memorabilia and bar signs covering most of the walls. White ceilings keep the space feeling more open.

-Aaron
post #193 of 199 Old 12-20-2015, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Installed the new driver in my sub today... I wrote it up in the Elemental Designs thread - so I won't double post it over here and bore you guys with it again
It sounds great - I will get some REW readings of it soon to see if there is any actual difference, or if it just my imagination.

Also rearranged the basement a bit - and got the popcorn machine into its new home. Just need to add a sign or 2 to label it as the refreshment counter:

Did add a little table after taking the first photo:

...and of course had to make a batch of popcorn... this time I used this stuff - and it was GREAT!

Ended up with way too much - hopefully my coworkers want popcorn tomorrow

-Aaron
post #194 of 199 Old 12-22-2015, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looks like you're ready to start hosting movie nights! Once I'm "done" with the build/renovation, I may add the popcorn machine into the mix - although I've been eyeing a old school stand up arcade 60-1 machine instead.

Nice work!

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Denon x2100w AVR | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)

My basement reno: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post33708177
post #195 of 199 Old 12-22-2015, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post
Looks like you're ready to start hosting movie nights! Once I'm "done" with the build/renovation, I may add the popcorn machine into the mix - although I've been eyeing a old school stand up arcade 60-1 machine instead.

Nice work!
Definitely looking forward to hosting some movie nights

That would be a tough decision to make between the arcade machine and the popcorn maker... popcorn maker would probably be the winner for me by a small margin because you can eat the popcorn while watching movies - can't play the game while watching movies

-Aaron
post #196 of 199 Old 01-10-2016, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stopped by Detroit Popcorn Company yesterday and picked up some goodies:

Set up a little Concession area:

RBalwinski likes this.

-Aaron
post #197 of 199 Old 01-10-2016, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think I ever shared the photos of some of the smaller changes I made in the room last month...

Kind of hard to get a good photo of this one because the room isnt very bright - but you get the idea:

I thought it was a cool addition - looks a lot better in person than in the pictures

I also replaced my rear surround speakers... I had been using a pair of random KLH speaker that I had laying around when I first set up the room, so I decided to get something a little better without spending much money. I decided on this set from Dayton because they were roughly the same size and had decent enough looking stats.

Not high end stuff by any means... but they work for me

-Aaron
post #198 of 199 Old 01-21-2016, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PTAaron's Movie Room/Basement Bar and Game area

Latest project has been installing an ethernet network in the house - until now all of the internet connections in the theater room have been via wifi. The main wireless router is upstairs in my wife's office, so I installed a bridge in the furnace room next to the theater.
Last weekend I decided I wanted a hard line to my PS4 since I've been online with it quite a bit playing Star Wars Battlefront - so I cut a hole in the wall in my wife's office and ran some Cat5e down into the basement and along the ceiling tiles to plug into the PS4.

After noticing the huge improvement in speed (network test indicated that the speed was doubled!!) I decided I wanted to hook up everything else to hard lines.

I grabbed an old wireless router that I had laying around and put that into the mix to get everything else networked as a short term solution:

After getting some great advice in the Networking section of the forum I decided to redo the way the internet gets distributed in my house - so I ordered an ethernet switch and bought another router.

Basically I will be moving the cable modem down into the room next to my theater, adding a new wireless router down there to be the primary router, using the run I put in last weekend to connect the router in my wife's office to the one in the basement, adding a 8 port switch to the router in the basement, and running a long cable run up to my office on the second floor. This will eliminate the wireless bridge in the basement, and the need for my office computer to connect to the network via spotty wifi card.

Anyway - that's the current update.

-Aaron

Last edited by PTAaron; 01-21-2016 at 05:29 PM.
post #199 of 199 Old 01-23-2016, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night I had all of my parts together and got to work!

First step was building a shelf to hold everything - luckily I had a scrap shelf piece laying around... bundled up my cables to make things look nicer... redid the distribution of my cable/internet service where it comes into the house... moved the cable modem, "phone service" modem, a wireless router, and a TP-Link 8 port switch onto the new shelf.

Ran out of time to run the cat 5e line up to the second floor - so that will be something to do tomorrow.

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page