HDMI wall plates cause degradation? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I eventually want to run a 1080p 3D signal about 30 feet from my equipment closet. I'm debating the wall plate to put in the closet. But I'm afraid that if use a plate with HDMI on it (basically a female/female coupler) I will introduce some noise.

Generally I'm from the any cable will do school, but I know higher res HDMI over longer distances is more challenging and I don't want to make it harder than it needs to be. Not only would I have to buy a good quality cable for the long run but the same quality for the short run. Then have a generic coupler in between.

The alternative is a finished hole cover with one from AVR to screen.

My instinct is to skip the slick coupler and go direct, am I right?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have a similar run - 35' HDMI cable between HT equipment and Pioneer Elite 50" plasma. I originally had the cable connect point A to B without wall plates. I later upgraded to a wall plate at the HT equipment location only and did not notice any kind of picture quality impact. I purchased a Vanco 120920X (the plate also handled component video and stereo audio). However, this was for HDMI v1.3. I'm told the HDMI cable is essentially the same, just higher testing standards to achieve 1.4 vs 1.3

The HDMI cable was from Cablestogo.com
post #3 of 8 Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder71 View Post

I eventually want to run a 1080p 3D signal about 30 feet from my equipment closet. I'm debating the wall plate to put in the closet. But I'm afraid that if use a plate with HDMI on it (basically a female/female coupler) I will introduce some noise.

Generally I'm from the any cable will do school, but I know higher res HDMI over longer distances is more challenging and I don't want to make it harder than it needs to be. Not only would I have to buy a good quality cable for the long run but the same quality for the short run. Then have a generic coupler in between.

The alternative is a finished hole cover with one from AVR to screen.

My instinct is to skip the slick coupler and go direct, am I right?

thanks

Hello Neworder71, I'm asking the same question, so I did some digging and so far this is what I have come up with. According to the reports I have read the current certified distance for a good HDMI cable is 45 ft. Even though you have seen cables with a distance of 50ft or greater according to the reports those cables are not certified but may work depending on your equipment and signal. But if you want to increase your odds of the distance working for you there are CAT5/6 HDMI extenders on the market that will boost the signal up to 300ft thru a CAT5/6 cable here is a example of what I'm talking about (http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...FecbQgodelUyCw). Also I will provide a link to a article that talks about distance concerns (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...n-hdmi-run.htm) Again I'm no expert but this is what I found in the short amount of time that I have been looking to answer the same question, hope this helps.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not too worried about the distance issue per se. I'm only looking for 30 feet. I've read the same sorts of articles, in fact this roundup review it pretty interesting on the subject:
http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-...reviews/330598

I am worried about the impact of female/female coupler in the wall plate. Has anybody tried 3D 1080p through a wall plate with a 30ft run behind it?
post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 PM

So do we have a verdict? Can I use an HDMI plate? I've seen some so-called "high speed HDMI plates" - I asume that those should cause no degradation in the signal? My issue is that my 20 feet cable is just barely enough to reach between my equipment rack and the projector. If I can terminate at the plate at the ceiling and use regular 6 feet cable between projector and the wall I would gain so precious 6 feet of the length))
Also, anybody seen HDMI plate combine with electric one? Like 2 electric outlet and 1 HDMI - can't find it anywhere.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 PM

Well I'm another 1 w/ no info but would like to know :P. I'm going to need 25 ft soon but am leaning towards no plate since I got AV and ethernet cables running out the wall. Might as well use a bulk plate in my case.

but dam, it would look sexy all organized on the wall.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajbolit View Post

So do we have a verdict? Can I use an HDMI plate? I've seen some so-called "high speed HDMI plates" - I asume that those should cause no degradation in the signal?

All connectors will degrade the signal. The question is, will it matter? It's a digital signal, so if there's enough strength, any minor loss will be absorbed. But too much, and you get no signal... For long runs, I'd avoid the wallplates if possible just to maximum the potential for success.

Quote:

My issue is that my 20 feet cable is just barely enough to reach between my equipment rack and the projector. If I can terminate at the plate at the ceiling and use regular 6 feet cable between projector and the wall I would gain so precious 6 feet of the length))

Worth a try then, although an HDMI extension cable would be one fewer connector. At 20', you probably won't have any issues either way assuming you've got a decent cable to begin with...

Quote:

Also, anybody seen HDMI plate combine with electric one? Like 2 electric outlet and 1 HDMI - can't find it anywhere.

You won't, not in a single-gang box. It's against code throughout the US (and probably most everywhere else). Can't mix AC line voltage and low-volt cables in the same box. You can get a dual-gang box with a separator so you can use half for AC and the other half for low-volt/HDMI...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 PM

Thank you.
I got 22 AWG - and sure hope it isn't going to loose too much of a signal over 20 feet. So I'll just go with 2 separate outlets - one for HDMI and one for the electrical.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page