ccotenj finally gets a projector... :) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 153 Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey man. looks good. quit similar to mine.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 153 Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
thanks! i may yet try and mount my pj the way you did... i'm not sure i trust myself to get it square that way...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #63 of 153 Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

no new progress to report, other than spending money... since i came in under budget, that money just can't sit there unused...

i figured me killing one of the subm amps was a sign from the a/v gods to do the hp amplifier upgrade, so i have a pair of those on the way from mark now...

bought a ups for the pj...

and i'm sorely tempted by that "vip 3-d theater" product... i think i'm going to order one of those...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #64 of 153 Old 05-21-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

thanks! i may yet try and mount my pj the way you did... i'm not sure i trust myself to get it square that way...

that is easy. get the bolts for the machine, and get large washers for em.
mount the shelf as accurate as reasonably possible. mark and drill the holes for the bolts, but drill the holes a little smaller than the washers. this will give you horizontal adjustment. for vertical adjustment put extra washers on the top or bottom of the shelf to adjust.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #65 of 153 Old 05-21-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

thanks for that tip... i didn't think of that for horizontal adjustment... i guess that's why you are a fabricator and i'm not...

what the heck, i'll give it a shot... if you guys don't hear from me for a few days, hopefully that doesn't mean i dropped the pj on my head...

- chris

post #66 of 153 Old 05-24-2011, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:

no new progress to report, other than spending money...

"ain't" that the truth

sometimes I think we enthusiasts spend more time & money plotting, planning & spending than enjoying

But that's half the fun!

chris, your photos look like it's coming along very nicely. Personally, I can't offer too many tips since I'm still a projector virgin but I can offer my congrats and looking forward to continued reading how it all comes together.

Steve
post #67 of 153 Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

thanks steve...

you might not be too far off on that "thought"... especially if you count "daydreaming while i'm supposed to be working" time...

the ups came yesterday... it weighs approximately 4.65 zillion pounds... hauled it upstairs and tested it to make sure it worked....

subwoofer amplifiers are "out for delivery"... so they should be waiting for me at home after work today... gonna toss them in tonight and play around a bit...

spent some time last night working on pj calibration... can't do greyscale, as i don't have the correct tools (or the service menu codes, ftm), so started with what is reputed to be the "best" ootb setting there... i've got a "late afternoon" and "nightttime" setting at least reasonably close from a contrast/brightness standpoint... but still needs work...

- chris

post #68 of 153 Old 05-24-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

there's no kill...

IMG_1706.JPG

like overkill...

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

tossed them in the subs and ran a quick and dirty audyssey setup... am running through a couple of "boom boom/rumble rumble" tracks right now...

they work...

now that i have two functional subs again, it's time to go dust off my "dual sub setup" thread and see how badly i can fubar dialing these things in...

a pic of the aforementioned 4.65 zillion pound ups...

IMG_1703.JPG

i think i could start my car with the damned thing...

- chris

post #69 of 153 Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
More toys! HAHAHAHAHAHA. Did you hit the lottery and not tell us?

Seriously, enjoy those new badass amps. Don't forget to play with the 2 different dsp profiles. PGMSEL button "IN" is original. "OUT" is the lifted response. You need to power cycle in between when switching to engage either. I'm sure you know all this... FWIW, I use the original mode for music and the new ~15 Hz response for movies. IMO, there is a very noticeable difference.

I need to look up at UPS.

Chris
post #70 of 153 Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i wish i had won the lottery... mark made me a good deal on the pair, so i jumped... those weren't a "need", they were a "want"...

yea, i'm gonna play with the different programs this weekend... ought to be fun... i'm hoping to be able to dedicate a significant amount of time this weekend to sub setup... hopefully swmbo knows where she hid my xtz kit from me...

ups is a great deal from vanns for 299 delivered.... WAY overkill for what i needed, but it'll make a nice power strip... only bad part is that it's silver, but i have plans for that...

- chris

post #71 of 153 Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Hi, just scanned the thread and looked at all the pics.

Looks good. You have a lot more dedication than me but the end results really pay off. :thumbsup:

About the only thing I can think to add is if you have a lot of projects, like stretching fabric taughtly over frames, which needs a staple gun, it's worth getting an electric one [I saw a pic with what looked to be a manual job].

I bought a 30 or 40 dollar deal at Home Depot when I built my screen and I think it was really worth it. With an adjustable strike force you can even use them to staple speaker and other wires along the wall without fear of piercing the insulation.
---

Isn't having a projector and screen THE BOMB? Me and my other friend with one both exhibited a behavior at work such that we couldn't wait to get home, even just to be in the same room with it, even just turned off! It's I guess like having a new baby in the house.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #72 of 153 Old 05-30-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

thanks mz...

man, i wish i had gotten that advice about the electric staple gun beforehand... i wore out my right hand stretching those panels... since i still have to make the velvet ones, i'm going to take your advice and go to the despot and make a purchase tomorrow...

i wish i could take some credit for the "dedication"... this was started out as "i'm gonna buy a projector and a cheap pull down screen and be happy"... that, as you see, turned into a bit more than i originally planned... my "projects" tend to end up that way...

oh yea!!! "the bomb" is a great way of describing it... i'm glad you posted that, because i thought something was wrong with me... i can't wait every day to get home and either look at it or use it...

that's kinda how come this went further than i originally planned... once i realized how friggin' awesome it could be for sports (i knew it'd be awesome for movies), and that i wouldn't need a complete cave to make it happen, i figured i might as well make it work...

we are big sports fans in this house... racing is simply incredible, especially the in-car shots... the monaco race yesterday was wicked cool... i'm a HUGE racing fan, if it's got wheels and they throw a checkered flag at the end, i'll watch it... and swmbo can't wait for football season (although i'm not ready for summer to be over quite yet, since it just got here)...

one thing that i read is certainly true though... once i got the screen up, work on the room slowed down tremendously.. i still have a bunch of stuff to do, but it's more than "workable" the way it is...

- chris

post #73 of 153 Old 06-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just a comment here.

Very nicely done sir. That was a whole lot of work there and I also viewed some of your picture album of other projects you've done to your home. Where do you get all that energy? Geez, my wife would be happy if I did a 10th of what you accomplished.
post #74 of 153 Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

thanks mate... appreciate it...

re: energy. greenies don't hurt... seriously though, there were certainly times along the way where i just wanted to throw up my hands and move...

ps. i like your sig...

- chris

post #75 of 153 Old 06-22-2011, 02:02 PM

Hi Chris!

I'm in the process of building my new media room, and I just happen to see your build. Wow! Well balanced project, and a lot to learn!!!

I'm leaning towards the black diamond 3, 1.4, but I just couldnt ask my questions on the Black Diamond thread. Well, you know why.

So, I see that you have place the screen very close to the floor. Would you share how height is the visible part of the screen? Can you see how much the image is sensible to vertical off axis? Maybe sitting on the floor...

[]s Humberto
post #76 of 153 Old 06-30-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

thanks humberto!

sorry i didn't respond earlier, i was away for a long weekend...

and yes, i completely understand about not being able to ask questions in "the other thread", so you should feel free to ask as many as you want here... i'll answer your questions as honestly as i can...

the bottom of the screen is 24.5" from the floor... i only have one row of seats (a reclining sofa for two)... when seated in my "normal viewing position", my eyes fall about 10" up from the bottom of the screen... i'm tempted to try it even a bit lower, but swmbo likes it right where it is, so i'm gonna let well enough alone...

i've watched it while lying on the floor, and it's not bad at all... i still need to position my projector "ideally", it's still too low (it needs to be about another foot higher than i have it now)... i haven't gotten around yet to mounting it properly, as even too low, i'm getting more than enough brightness, and hotspotting isn't bad (plus i've been too lazy to actually do it )... i think once i get the projector into the "correct" spot, the hotspotting will improve some, but given the characteristics of the screen, it's never going to go away...

i have no real "off axis" seating issues, as i have no real "off axis" seating... both of us are well within the recommended viewing cone... but even when standing at a pretty sharp angle to the side of the screen, it's "viewable" (not "watchable", but "viewable")... but i don't need to be able to view it from a sharp angle...

fire away with whatever questions you have...

- chris

post #77 of 153 Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Thx for the info!!!
post #78 of 153 Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 PM

I like what i see so far chris

I was looking through some of your older theater pics and i noticed that you had Ascend Acoustics Sierras and those happen to be some of the speakers on my wish list.

Well i was wondering if you liked them or not, would you recommend them, how did they sound with movies/music, and did you like having them as surround speakers???

thanks

post #79 of 153 Old 08-16-2011, 03:37 PM

What model is the APC?
post #80 of 153 Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

sorry guys, I've been on hiatus for a bit...

@pokey... it's a s15... check vanns, I got it very cheap there...

@simple man... thanks mate... . yes, I'd recommend them... I had them both in a 5.1 and 7.1 configuration... I really liked those speakers, and can't think of anything in that price range that I would prefer... with package pricing, b-stock, etc, you can get a pretty darn nice setup for a pretty reasonable price... you WILL need a sub (preferably more than one)...

not much to talk about for updates... I have the pj mount stuff, but I've been going birding every weekend rather than installing that...

one thing to note... the Velcro and 2 sided tape method of mounting the covers for the bass traps did NOT hold up to the earthquake... gotta do something about that...

- chris

post #81 of 153 Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Chris-welcome back. I thought maybe the projector project had gotten the best of you . There's been rampant talk in the threads about passive bi-amping, boutique cables, DAC differences, and upgrade mods, so it's nice to have your voice of reason around again!

Steve

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #82 of 153 Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

hey steve... howaya, my friend?

lol... no, it didn't, but it certainly has stalled over the summer... been spending my time chasing birds and enjoying the latest summer fashions at the shore...

however, you hit upon the reason for my hiatus... i figured i'd let you guys handle that foolishness for awhile...

btw... you can keep your earthquakes in cali... i have never been so scared in my entire life... i thought my house was gonna fall down... i was sitting in my room, doing some paperwork, and the walls started to move... i don't need to experience that again, thank you...

- chris

post #83 of 153 Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

hey steve... howaya, my friend?

lol... no, it didn't, but it certainly has stalled over the summer... been spending my time chasing birds and enjoying the latest summer fashions at the shore...

however, you hit upon the reason for my hiatus... i figured i'd let you guys handle that foolishness for awhile...

btw... you can keep your earthquakes in cali... i have never been so scared in my entire life... i thought my house was gonna fall down... i was sitting in my room, doing some paperwork, and the walls started to move... i don't need to experience that again, thank you...

Doing fine out here, especially since we shipped the quakes back East . When stuff started shaking I bet your first priority was getting the Salks outside to safer ground . I was living in Northridge during the "big one" so I know it can be a little scary. Anyway, glad you're safe.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #84 of 153 Old 09-13-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

not really part of my projector project, but i got a couple new toys yesterday for what swmbo calls her "studio" (translated: she's taken over most of the first floor of the house... )....

speakers are onix rockets rs-850 signatures... avr is a denon 5800... obviously, setup is going to need a bit of work, but i think this is going to work out well... i'm very pleased with the way they sound as is... i got the avr awhile ago, and have been patiently waiting for some decent speakers to pop up at a good price... based on graphicguy's posts in the sc-05/07 thread from a couple years ago, i figured these were worth a shot...

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

- chris

post #85 of 153 Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

one projector note... hit 700 hours on it this week... at that rate, i should get about a year out of the lamp... not bad...

- chris

post #86 of 153 Old 09-25-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Chris....glad you like the Rockets as much as I do. They look great. Hopefully you find they sound even better.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #87 of 153 Old 09-25-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
i dont really like the sound of the rockets but they look awesome. that was my first set of speakers. i would say for movies they did well, and average for music. the onix reference 2 is a major step up, but you won't find it easily anymore.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #88 of 153 Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well, as you can see, that's not exactly a "critical listening setup" down there... i basically bought those because i got them cheap...

if'n i was gonna spend more, i likely would have bought another pair of salks...

- chris

post #89 of 153 Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Nice looking speakers Chris! (the Salks that is )

What is the next step in the makeover? do you have any theater seating in there? popcorn machine?!?
post #90 of 153 Old 09-26-2011, 09:28 AM

Man, those speakers are killer. I really like the enclosures. Is that a tiger wood or cypress?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page