Detached Garage Media/Bar Room Design Help Needed Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I need some help with the design of my bonus room. There are two hipped dormers on the front of the garage and a 3/4 dormer on the back. So I am dealing with some slanted ceilings but still quite a bit of space (26'x26' footprint). BTW......I am brand new to Google SketchUp. be nice

I would like to have a decent sized bar in this space as well as a theater that I will be able to build and improve throughout the years. I will be running plumbing to this room (might be able to see the urinal in the right corner) for the bathroom and bar sink. As you can see the dartboard is already up but that can be moved too.

The kneewalls that are shown are not even up yet so they can be changed obviously. I have a complete blank slate here as there are studs and one light and switch hardwired......and lots of junk that is currently being moved out.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Bar placement?
PJ? or do I move my 65" DLP up there and get something else for in the house. placement?

In Wall-Speakers? or.....I have Monitor 70's in the house that I'd be willing to move.

Also, I just started home brewing so I'll need to somehow integrate my keezer (keg-freezer) into the room/bar.

This space will be mainly for when friends/family come over so wifey and I want to make it a multi purpose room (although we all know who's going to be using it most). Darts, foosball and poker table are all on my list of things that have to be available in the room

Please help!

Thanks,

http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=garage.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I could provide a little more info here:

I will be wiring, plumbing and insulating over the next few weeks so I'd like to get a solid idea as to where everything will be.

Also, the budget is somewhat flexible on this project as it will be done over the next year or so. It all depends on whether or not I'm getting a new PJ and other equipment I guess.

****Another question, as of right now the garage is obviously not heated or cooled......I do plan on running some sort of heat and AC up there but, what kind of issues will i run into if I leave the PJ up there during the hot months in Boston.......not to mention the Cold months.

thanks
post #3 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Based on the drawing - how about putting the screen on the stair wall (left) and install the projector on the bathroom wall. Then you could put a sectional or movie chairs against the wall as well.

The L&R surround placement will be tough given the unequal distance from the listening area if wall mounted - but an AVR with Audssey MultiEQ should help a lot. Or you could install in-ceiling surrounds. If the couch is against the wall, then rears would not be recommended.

I'm thinking the bar would work well in the corner where the dart board is.

PS: We did have a pretty tough winter in Mass this year.
post #4 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, that was what I was thinking also.......

So, I was going to go with 8" 2 way in-wall and in-ceiling Monoprice speakers so I could save a bit of space. I do have an AVR-1910 so Audyssey will definitely be utilized! 5.1 most likely so i can run a couple outdoor speakers to the patio.

Any other input regarding the extreme temps above the garage that will probably only be controlled when the room is in use?

I will be insulating but may not get to the floor (garage ceiling) until later on down the line.
post #5 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

I can't comment on the monoprice speakers - but a lot of people here seem to like them for the low cost. If you do go that route - make sure you build back boxes for the speakers. This will help with SQ. I have Atlantic Technology in-walls.

I am assuming you will use the zone 2 for the patio - FYI - I tried setting up a powered zone 2 off my ONKYO TX-NR3007 (140w/ch) and could hardly hear anything outside when the main HT system was also running inside. However, They sounded fine when the HT was off. I had to purchase a cheap 2ch amp to run the externals.

If you are putting plumbing in the room as noted, you will have to heat the room all winter long at a minimum (assuming you do not plan to drain the lines each fall). The better the insulation the more efficient your system will be. I'd look at spray foam personally. It costs a bit more, but should more than pay for itself through utility costs over time. There are a few spry foam types available in Mass. I need to perform some research on it myself - I would like to insulate my walk up attic sometime soon.

For Heat & A/C - go for central air - it is much quieter and more effective than a wall unit. I would think it wouldn't be too expensive since you are only heating/cooling one room
post #6 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Another thought - you may want to plan on building a sub woofer behind one of the knee walls to save space.
post #7 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
post #8 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
For heating and A/C, I'd look at a mini split system. I put one in our last home after I finished the attic for our son coming home after college and it worked out great.
http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/
post #9 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

You have a very nice sized area for a room full of fun stuff.

Our converted garage is 17X24 and it has a lot of multi-purpose stuff while allowing plenty of open space - not crowded at all.

Look at the space as a big, blank canvas and then brain storm a LOT with your bride before you commit to how to fill in the "canvas".

We have "theater" with 120 diagonal image (for most content). We wanted multi-purpose seating so we chose large and very padded bar chairs - work great for watching the wall screen but also easy to move around when other stuff is going on.

We have room for seven pinball machines, foosball, two stand up, coin op, commercial type dart machines, bar top video game and an old arcade baseball game - all this stuff for fun yet plenty of room for people.

A tavern/bar/game room theme with a theater component was/is our choice. Now you take your time and figure out what combination of stuff will give you and your family and friends the most pleasure.

We're in N. Florida so cool air is more of a priority than heat. Currently have a "window/wall banger" AC unit - we are considering an upgrade to a split system - maybe next Winter - as the split systems do both cooling and heating but at a cost about 4 times that of a simple window unit.
GoodLuck
post #10 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the tips/suggestions.

Quote:

I am assuming you will use the zone 2 for the patio - FYI - I tried setting up a powered zone 2 off my ONKYO TX-NR3007 (140w/ch) and could hardly hear anything outside when the main HT system was also running inside. However, They sounded fine when the HT was off. I had to purchase a cheap 2ch amp to run the externals.

Yes I will use Zone 2 for the patio. I will probably not be using both the theater and the 2nd zone at the same time, so i don't foresee this being an issue. thanks for the heads up though.

Quote:

If you are putting plumbing in the room as noted, you will have to heat the room all winter long at a minimum (assuming you do not plan to drain the lines each fall). The better the insulation the more efficient your system will be. I'd look at spray foam personally. It costs a bit more, but should more than pay for itself through utility costs over time. There are a few spry foam types available in Mass. I need to perform some research on it myself - I would like to insulate my walk up attic sometime soon.

hmmmm......good point. What if i were to do a waterless urinal and maybe some type of quick connect water line that disconnects in the heated main house for when it's cold and we're not out there with the heat on? I would need to drain the line each time which is a pain but will save money on heating.

I am definitely looking at a split system also. thanks Java.

Imjay: I definitely like your movable multi purpose seat idea. What do your bar chairs look like? do you happen to have a pic?
post #11 of 45 Old 05-22-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some updated sketches of what I'm looking to do in the space:

I'm going to wire it as though I'm going to be putting a PJ up and in-walls speakers.

What do you guys think?
post #12 of 45 Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Question for the Subwoofer experts......

What style sub would be best for this particular situation?

Sonosub?
THT?
IB?

It's about 2700cuft
post #13 of 45 Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

any other feedback?

thanks.
post #14 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Did you decide on plumbing/heating/cooling?

If you push the bar further to the back right corner - your guests will be better able to see the big game from the bar seats (angle to the screen)
post #15 of 45 Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

I've actually added a small siting area behind the theater seats.......what do you think?

post #16 of 45 Old 06-21-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I would install a projector in that space. A good quality sub would be a big plus. You don't need to spend a lot of cash to get a good pj/screen or sub. I did a second row of nice swivel/tilt barstools behind my seats, it worked out well. This is what I ended up with to give you an idea. I will probably add a counter in fron of the stools at some point

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1193082

post #17 of 45 Old 06-27-2011, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

I definitely would like to put a pj up there eventually. My main concern with that would be that it won't be temp controlled environment 100% of the time. I will be turning the AC/heat only when I go up there. Therefore, I may just go with a larger (73") DLP for now.....unless you can talk me out of it.

I changing the room around a bit. Here is my sketch:

I'm putting up my knee walls as we speak along with the electrical. I will try to snap some pics today.
post #18 of 45 Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
My two cents: your last layout is a bit lopsided. You've scrunched too much on the one side of the room, leaving the game area to occupy the majority of the space. If you really intend to have games be the main focus of the room, fine. Otherwise, I'd go back to one of your earlier designs that has more balance.

Also, I may be biased, but I don't follow your reasoning for going with a huge (expensive) TV instead of a larger and less expensive PJ. Lack of temperature control will be a problem in either case, but I don't know of anything that indicates that a TV would be more temp resistant than a PJ.

Your lack of regular temperature control may be your real issue, as that alone could keep you from using that room as much as you'd otherwise like. I'd be reluctant to invest a lot of money into that build without having a plan for year-round temperature control, even if it means holding back on some equipment purchases now. It's easy to add equipment later; it's not so easy to retrofit climate control.

Oh, and congrats on winning the Stanley Cup again! Don must be thrilled!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #19 of 45 Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input hanesian. The reason for the change in design was so that people at the bar could just spin around and watch the big tv. I completely agree that I am scrunching things in on that side, but I think the ability to watch the tv from the bar outweighs the tightness. My opinion.

Regarding the climate control, I do plan on having a thermostat out there hooked up to electric heat as well as having a window ac unit. Do you know if there is some way that I can control when that ac unit were to turn on and off so that the temp doesn't get over a certain degree? I know I have one unit that has such temp control built in but don't know how reliable that is.

In respect to the DLP, I don't think they are that expensive (73" for $1100). I have the 65" Mitsu and that has a great picture but the one thing I would be concerned about is the viewing angle.......which is part of the reason for me relocating the bar.

Saying all of that, I am wiring it for a PJ just in case for the future. What temps are recommended for a PJ?

We GOT THE CUP!
post #20 of 45 Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

alright........how about this.

post #21 of 45 Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

I have to agree, I liked the bar back in the original corner. Maybe swing it out at a 45 degree angle. I also think you would be much better off having the room temp controlled. You can always have the thermostat turned down to say 50 degrees in the winter and 80 degrees in the summer when not in use.

The drawings are looking good - best of luck trying to get the girl in the bikini to show up

It is great having the CUP back in Boston again! Now all 4 main sports teams are in the club (just waiting for the Revolution.....)
post #22 of 45 Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some updated pics of the room.....
LL
LL
LL
post #23 of 45 Old 07-21-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Back to postage stamps instead of photos again, eh?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #24 of 45 Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ha......my b, trying out the android app.
post #25 of 45 Old 07-26-2011, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Scored these on craigslist for $700!
LL
post #26 of 45 Old 07-26-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Some more "small pics". The screen wall, bar skeleton and framing of the av rack.
LL
LL
LL
post #27 of 45 Old 08-15-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a shot of my diy audio rack almost finished:

and the bar with a little maple skin on it:

post #28 of 45 Old 08-15-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm chiming in far too late to be helpful - but one thing that came to mind is that I would want the bar situated in some way that those seated at the bar could see the screen without craning their necks - not sure the best way to accomplish that in your space / layout though (without obstructing windows).
post #29 of 45 Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I'm chiming in far too late to be helpful - but one thing that came to mind is that I would want the bar situated in some way that those seated at the bar could see the screen without craning their necks - not sure the best way to accomplish that in your space / layout though (without obstructing windows).

So, my idea was to have the barstools be swivels so that you can just spin around and watch the big screen. This is really the only layout that would work. I think it'll come out ok......

Drywall comes tomorrow!!!
post #30 of 45 Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Drywall is going up!!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms