New to home theater; many questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if any/all of this is in the wrong forum. Just in case, I cross posted here. I've got a few questions, and I figured I was better off posing them all together.

I've been considering options and narrowing down choices for my projector setup for a while now, and I think I've just about got it figured out. I wanted to get some more experienced eyes on my options/plan before I started making purchases.

Usage Plans: Even split between Games (PS3, 360, Wii, SNES, NES), TV (HD Cable, Antenna), and Movies (PS3). Zero desire for 3D viewing.

First of all, the setup (crude pictures attached): The room is 22x12. It's got a white ceiling, 1 white wall, 1 brown wood-paneled wall, and another is mostly fireplace/glass door. The fourth "wall" is open to the hallway, and will be simulated by the ceiling-mounted screen. I've got very little ambient light. The room has an "A" roof that slants at 30 degrees. I don't think I want to mount to the actual ceiling (since I'm not sure how sturdy it is, and that part of the attic isn't really accessible), but there is a large solid wood beam (5ish inches wide and 7ish inches tall) that goes across the middle of the room. I'm not sure how typical projector ceiling mounts work, but I assume I can just drill into that beam, and that would be okay? Will the angle cause any problems? Do I need some sort of anchor?

Now to the hardware. I haven't exactly decided on my purchases, but I've got it pretty well narrowed down so far.

Projector Options:
Epson PowerLite 6100 Refurb @ $999
Epson PowerLite 8350 @ $1181

I've read that the 8350 is better and has better contrast, but I've also read that it's got more lag than the 6100. I don't know if it's noticeable, but I do plan on gaming on it, so it's a concern. Regardless, I'm leaning toward the 8350. I considered DLP, but my mount will be slightly offset to my screen, and I want to have flexibility on placement in the future.

Screen Options:
FAVI 16:9/120-Inch Motorized Screen @ $257
FAVI 16:9/120-Inch Pull Down Screen @ $110

Both are matte white with a gain of 1.3. Should I consider getting a grey screen instead? I don't know anything about screen brands. I just picked some well-rated ones from Amazon. I considered going with a 150" screen, as I have the room for it, but I only saw one option less than $1000, and that's just way outside of my budget.

Receiver Options:
Sony STR-DN1010 @ $299
Yamaha RX-V667 @ $410

I read that the Yamaha is better, but I couldn't honestly say why. I know it's got more inputs than the Sony, but both have more inputs than I'll need. The Yamaha also has a nicer on-screen interface, which I suppose I like. My only real desire is that I can plug all of my stuff into it and only have a single HDMI cable connecting it to the projector. My current Receiver requires HDMI->HDMI and Component->Component which I hate. I want to be able to just switch the receiver rather than having to also switch the projector's input.

I'm also concerned about HDMI 1.4 audio return channel or something? Honestly, what I read about it went over my head. I just want to make sure that I can plug things into my receiver and have sound come out of the connected speakers without having to do some strange connection back from the projector. Am I worrying about nothing?

I'm not *really* constrained by budget, though I'd like to keep the total cost below $2000. If it's over $2k, I'll have to wait to buy all of the components. I already own 7.1 speakers that I'm happy with, so I don't need to budget for those.

Thanks in advance for your help! Let me know if I need to clarify anything.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Receiver and Projector are all up to your opinion in my eyes. Is there a wrong and a right? I'm not sure. Someone can always say get X projector or receiver over Y but with most are going off of personal opinion and have not used both X and Y, but only usually X. So reviews and opinions are good. But go on pictures, specs, and your own wants more so IMO.

Your beam mounting seems like it should be fine. I've never done an angled projector mount. But assume as long as your mount tilts on axis so that it sits correctly, and is at the right aiming point for your screen, then I'm sure there's a way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanenfawder View Post
Screen Options:
FAVI 16:9/120-Inch Motorized Screen @ $257
FAVI 16:9/120-Inch Pull Down Screen @ $110

Both are matte white with a gain of 1.3. Should I consider getting a grey screen instead? I don't know anything about screen brands. I just picked some well-rated ones from Amazon. I considered going with a 150" screen, as I have the room for it, but I only saw one option less than $1000, and that's just way outside of my budget.
I will say in your diagram it seems like you're sitting long ways in the room. Meaning your seating will a ways it seems from the screen. If you're going to be sitting a large distance, anywhere close to 20' away, you might want larger than 120" screen. Screen size is of course more personal opinion and what your equipment can do. But I would only guess that if you're a far ways away the 150" or larger screen in general might be more attractive if you're looking to be immersed into it.

This is of course if you can find a larger one in your budget. If you can't or if 120" at X seating distance is what you want then go for it.

Elite screens has a vmax2 motorized 150" for $597 on visualapex. Possibly not the cheapest as I didn't look around. Just clicked the first one I saw. There are some $400ish 150" motorized on ebay but I didn't look into brands, or reviews.

Gray depends if your projector sucks at black colors or have alot of ambient light. You have very little ambient light, but only owners of your projector or you will be able to say how black levels are.

Quote:
I just want to make sure that I can plug things into my receiver and have sound come out of the connected speakers without having to do some strange connection back from the projector. Am I worrying about nothing?
Go with whichever receiver/gui you like. And yeah sounds like you're worried about nothing. On any HDMI receiver, connect everything to the receiver and run one HDMI out to your projector and viola.

Quote:
I'm not *really* constrained by budget, though I'd like to keep the total cost below $2000. If it's over $2k, I'll have to wait to buy all of the components. I already own 7.1 speakers that I'm happy with, so I don't need to budget for those.

Thanks in advance for your help! Let me know if I need to clarify anything.
2k is alot in todays economy, and technology market. Especially when you have speakers already. You should be fine on that budget.

I'm sure you'll get alot of different responses and opinions. Above are just mine.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would tend to agree with what khankewycz noted above. Personally, I would go with a Yamaha over a Sony, but that is just me. One point I wanted you to think about or at least map out is to make sure what ever AVR you decide on that it can handle all your sources now and near future. For example the Yamaha 667 only has 5 HDMI inputs in the back (plus one in the front). I tend to avoid leaving anything plugged in in the front (the wife just thinks it looks ugly) It looks like you have 6 video systems before adding anything new (higher end blu-ray player, Ipod dock, PS4, etc). Looking at the back of the 667, there are only 2 component video inputs for older systems that do not have HDMI outputs. I ran into this issue when hooking up a PS2, Wii and Ipod dock. I kept having to reach behind and switch out cables - ultimately I broke the RCA connection in the AVR and had to have it repaired. Oh and one of the component video cable broke as well because other family members tried "fixing" it and I had to learn how to re-solder it. I now own a more input friendly AVR where no manual changes need to be made on existing equipment.

Just my 2 cents