The Viking Heritage basement build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so not I'm not doing a Thor inspired basement, but based on the fact I am Swedish by heritage and live darn close to the biggest congregation of Scandinavians outside of Europe, I figured this was a good name.

I've been lurking here for many years, seen lots of builds and been inspired by lots of cool basements and theaters.

I have a completely unfinished walkout basement. I have also a ton of tools, so a workshop will be a necessity if not for anything else other than storage.

My dad, who is semi-retired (and has architecture background), has drafted up some initial floor plans for my space.

No space for a 'real' theatre room in this one...

Can you guys give me some comments on what you think? The different plans are each is supposed to emphasize different planning priorities. E.g. plan #1 is all about Rec room and Bed room, plans #2 and #3 balances the Rec room, Workshop and Storage area by deleting the Bed room. Plan #2 has easy access from outside to workshop and to bath room from rec room while plan #3 has a bigger workshop and a nicer hall way. Plan #4 maximizes the size of the rec room with a minimum size workshop and plan #5 abandons the rec room concept in favour of bed room and office.

Oh and Hanesian, I think this qualifies as the start of my own thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok. 50+ views and no comments.

I guess I'll have to test out Hanesian's theory that if you don't have funny pics in your thread, you won't get any comments.

Lets also try invoking Chuck Norris
post #3 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post

Oh and Hanesian, I think this qualifies as the start of my own thread

Damn straight, it does! About time, my enormous Nordic friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post

Ok. 50+ views and no comments.

I guess I'll have to test out Hanesian's theory that if you don't have funny pics in your thread, you won't get any comments.

I am living prof that ...

Welcome to the madness - at last!

P.S. Hope you weren't looking for useful information from me. I don't do useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, I lied. Here's my stab at useful advice on your build:

That should pretty much answer any question you might have, I imagine.

You're welcome.

Let's see some of the (many) other wise arses hop in now and try to top that for helpfulness. As if!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So until I get building.. I got a steal of a deal on this:

$100 bucks in the local paper. Hope my minivan can haul it.
post #6 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So in the plans above, Plan 5 is really out of the question.

There are also several things that have to remain in place.
Utilities room (house is built this is where they ended up), and bathroom (roughed in).

Other than that, I have the rest of the space to play with.

What is probably not totally clear in the pics is:
2 windows and a sliding glass door are in the topmost (Northfacing) wall.

Fridge and freezer (block freezer for my 1/4 cow I get every 4-5 months), can move to anywhere in the basement space. Like the convenience of the proximity to the stairs.

Understair space will likely be used for Tornado shelter. Got to fit 4 in there.

Don't laugh, in our house its really the only safe place in the house should we be in that situation.

We had tornados this weekend...

See the house on the right? One house over is the house my wife grew up in. She's glad they don't live there any more...
post #7 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I'm in new hope, and was not that bad other than ton of rain...

Where's the theater room in those plans....
post #8 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Falls under the 'rec room' space in the drawings above.

I'm down by Hastings and they did fire off the sirens during that storm.
post #9 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

So back to your plans - how badly do you think you'll need a basement bedroom or office? And how much space do you want to dedicate to your workshop/storage? You pretty much have to decide how you prioritize the different uses, and let that drive you.

Not surprisingly, with my advanced level of un-handiness, I only allocated a few feet around my furnace/utility area for tools. It would be wasted space for me. I just made sure to include lots of outlets to plug into.

Is your basement a walkout?

post #10 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes it is a walkout.

I can be handy at times and have the tools to match and I'd rather not give them up. Plus unlike most Minnesotans I actually use my garage to house my cars, unlike my neighbours who have made a full bar, storage area, home business in theirs...
post #11 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Waste your garage on cars?!?!

My garage has been a spot to store crap priceless treasures ever since my "build" began, back in the first century AD.

I sure hope your basement ceilings are plenty high, given how tall they grow 'em in your family!

post #12 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In terms of basement office space/spare bedroom. Definately a need. Right now the only computer is sitting by our kitchen nook. Not the ideal place for it, but its all we have available.

As for the walkout portion, this is what we see from the outside.

Yes, I (with my dads help) built the deck, the playhouse, the under deck stuff etc. Now you know where all the tools came from.

Internally, we have this:

Space towards utility room/bathroom.

Space facing patio door (walk out basement)

Corner facing the electical panel by the stairs.

Two windows (north facing under deck):

From back corner by electrical panel:

Tools!

More tools!

And more!

And yes, there is a lot of stuff that needs to go out. Lots of baby stuff, kids are 8 and 5, so no need for all those things, and lots of 'extra' family heirloom furniture.
post #13 of 49 Old 05-24-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I sure hope your basement ceilings are plenty high, given how tall they grow 'em in your family!

Even when 'custom' built, this is what I ended up with.

Yes that is a 'standard' height doorframe, with me standing in it. I guess the saying is true that I make a better door than a window.

Main floor ceilings are 9ft high.

Basement and second floor have 8ft ceilings.

Me, 6'9".
post #14 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
HOLY COW!! My cousin is 6'9, and I know he has to duck under just about everything when it comes to houses....

I like your plan ideas, it's nice to have an office in the basement, as I built a 4th bedroom / office / workout room, could be used for anything, even a master bedroom, or very nice nursery / runts room....

I plan on moving in the next year or two, I have one house I'm considering, or I may build a new one since I have an unlimited supply of firewood for more than twice my lifetimes, I' love to build a custom built wood burning boiler set-up with solar powered pumps, but I want a shop as well, but I'm thinking of building a very large pole barn building and segmenting part of the shed for a total workshop, where it's easier to deliver materials on ground level.... You layouts look good, when you starting?
post #15 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Depends on Finances really.

We have a bit of flooring to finish up upstairs... (One bedroom, and stairwell). Thats about $1500.

We have car repair to complete (rock kicked up off the road and cratered my hood!) ~$1000.

And then time...

Realistically, probably looking to start in the fall... Gives me a chance to put my plans together properly.
post #16 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

TC, sounds like you are looking at a multi acre lot... whereabouts are you looking?

Guy down the street has a heat pump... Solar is nice but a fair bit of infrastructure involved, my folks have solar for their water heater... lots of work...
post #17 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A couple comments - I like the drawings, but I tend to like plans 2 or 3 (depending on where the slider is). I'm thinking I would want the stairs to open up into the nice rec room versus the work shop (especially if you plan on having people over). I would also recommend keeping the work shop a big as possible since you are handy - picture trying to maneuver 8' 2x4s and plywood sheets in the space, not just tool storage. I'd also consider trying to make the work shop contained for saw dust, noise and other smells that would travel into adjacent areas. Where is the sliding door (left, middle or right)? This would be more appealing in the rec room by giving off more natural light.

Dan

My set up

post #18 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Hey, what about putting the theater in the back of the basement? Where the storage/utility area is now? It would fix a lot of the light issues and you could have 1 entrance/exit? Extend it out and it would be 12x15' or so.

Just a thought. Otherwise I think I I like plan 1 the best. Far from ideal for a "theater" though.

;
;

post #19 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

A couple comments - I like the drawings, but I tend to like plans 2 or 3 (depending on where the slider is). I'm thinking I would want the stairs to open up into the nice rec room versus the work shop (especially if you plan on having people over). I would also recommend keeping the work shop a big as possible since you are handy - picture trying to maneuver 8' 2x4s and plywood sheets in the space, not just tool storage. I'd also consider trying to make the work shop contained for saw dust, noise and other smells that would travel into adjacent areas. Where is the sliding door (left, middle or right)? This would be more appealing in the rec room by giving off more natural light.

Sliding door is on the left. The room would be contained (ie. no smells, sawdust, etc leaking out. I'd get one of these to help keep the dust contained

Having the sliding door makes it attractive for walking in the 2x4s, plywood sheets, sheetrock etc. And yes storage is at a premium. My dad has a workshop that is 23'-0 X 15'-6 and its ample room for anything and he has WAY more tools than I do.
post #20 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Hey, what about putting the theater in the back of the basement? Where the storage/utility area is now? It would fix a lot of the light issues and you could have 1 entrance/exit? Extend it out and it would be 12x15' or so.

Just a thought. Otherwise I think I I like plan 1 the best. Far from ideal for a "theater" though.

Yep, thought about that too. My biggest issue is the space at the ceiling. Got the main floor joist AND the HVAC to work around to get any usable space. Not ideal. (see my post above with all the interior photos, 4th picture and you see the HVAC trunk and the main Joist to the left of it).

Plus, I am not intending for this to be a 'dedicated theater' but a multiuse room with theater leanings.. :P
post #21 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks - now that I think of it, you could also switch out your right window for another slider. I have this in my basement (slider/window/slider) - then you would have access to both rooms from the outside.

Love the dust vac idea and think it is necessary - but it takes up that much more room. My Dad has way more tools than I do as well, but I'm catching up. Now we coordinate new tool buys to make sure we don't duplicate specialty tools.

Dan

My set up

post #22 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My dad is way up in Canada (Calgary), which is 2 days driving away... So I can buy all the tools I want

Actually I seem to inherit all of mine, ex stepfather in law...

Re: second slider. See post 12 with all the pics. 1st pic exterior view. Right beside plastic chairs is AC unit, so no dice there.
post #23 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

ahh, didn't notice that. However, you could move the AC unit to be under the middle window (or better yet, relocate to an end) freeing up more space under the deck to make a more permanent usable patio. just a thought anyway.

My Dad lives 30 minutes away which helps (although he is 80 now)

Dan

My set up

post #24 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Won't move the AC unit, since the only place to put it is on the sides of the house, and those side slopes are collapsing around most of the houses in the neighbourhood.
post #25 of 49 Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice job on the deck! Looks very professional!

Couple more questions on the layout options. Obviously it would be convenient for you to have the walkout right in the workshop area, but OTOH if the kids use the back yard/play house area with any regularity they will probably be running in & out through that door - and right through your workshop with all your tools and projects in progress. As they get older do you think they'll be tending to use that back yard area more or less than now?

Also, regarding an office or area for the computer: would it be enough to make room for it somewhere in the main rec room, or do you really want/need more privacy for your own use? As our kids got older we learned there were definite advantages to keeping the computer in a "public" area. This isn't an issue for you with kids your age now, but it is coming quicker than you might think.

post #26 of 49 Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What I want to avoid is clutter. Whatever flat surface I have seems to accumulate clutter like rabbits in spring. 1 piece of paper magically transforms to a pile with all sorts of other things... I have filing cabinets, wife has hobby table, etc. that take up space and realistically I'd rather have that out of the way. If its in a separate room I can at least close the door on it.
post #27 of 49 Old 05-27-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Desk starts like this:

And then one piece of paper quickly becomes this:

Although in my case they are more like:

post #28 of 49 Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

That never happens to me. But I believe you have my stapler.

post #29 of 49 Old 05-27-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry.. here it is...

Happy now?

By the way do you have my TPS reports?
post #30 of 49 Old 05-29-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Watched a great movie with my son tonite (on the projector set up in my living room).

The original Tron (1982). I saw it when I was about the same age as him.

Great to see that movie can still hold its own against modern movies.

Watching the new one Tron:Legacy tomorrow nite.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page