Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 229 Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
It is time. Three young kids and we are ready to finish our basement including:
- Large (32'L 19' W) Media room/area that includes a corner gas fireplace and wet bar
- Playroom (14' L 11' W) for the kids (hooray, let's get those toys out of the main living areas!
- Bathroom including a shower
- Bedroom with a walk-in closet

This is a walkout basement that walks out to a wetland behind our house with tons of trees.

Here are the plans:

2D

3D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 229 Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We really debated about creating a dedicated theater room where the playroom is and extending that room further out. But with three very young kids we decided with the playroom and a large open media room. That said, I am still going with a projector, screen, etc. Going to make this a fun place to hang out and have movie nights and sports parties.

Once the kids are older I will shoot for the dedicated theater room (something to plan for).

Equipment list:
125" Seymour AV AT Screen
3x Deftech RLS II In-wall Speakers (LCR)
2x Deftech RSS III In-ceiling Speaker (LR Surrounds)
2x Deftech BP2X Bipole Surrounds (Rear)
Acer HD9500 3D projector
Hsu VTF-15H
PA-150 Sub
Denon 1911 Receiver

Panasonic BDT-210 BD Player

DirecTV HD Reciver (whole house HD DVR)

I must have auditioned 12+ in-wall speakers before going with the Deftech's. Really liked the sound these put out and they are efficient and will play clean or the space. We don't listen to movies at reference level, so I think this setup will be more than adequate for now. I am planning to upgrade the projector in the next 6-9 months, and will also be looking to build two DIY subs down the road. But one thing at a time

I am framing the space myself (about 85% done and will post pics soon).

Worklist
The HVAC is done (hired out).
The plumbing will be hired out (by code in my city I have to have a licensed plumber install PEX pipes and they have to be licensed to work on said piping).
Electrical will be mostly hired out (I will hang most of the fixtures and will install Lutron Spacer system for zoned canned lights in the media/rec room).
I will run all the AV wiring
I will do all the insulation.
Drywall is being hired out.
I will do all the finish work.
I will tile the bar area, bathroom, and shower myself.
I will do all the painting.

A mix of DIY and contractors. Will be pulling permits for everything and will do everything by code. So a mix of DIY and hiring out.
Not going to do double drywall, green glue, on this build. Would have liked too, but this is not a dedicated theater and several of the walls were completed by the builder already. Luckily all the bedrooms are on the top floor of a two story home, so that should really help with sound at night. I am insulating all wall cavities and will be using solid core doors throughout. Will also use 5/8" drywall on the ceilings and all my speakers are enclosed so there should be little speaker loss in the wall cavities.

Time is short with three young kids, so I will try and push through and get this done. My goal is to finish by the end of September. Let's see what happens

post #3 of 229 Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some pics of the space and the build:

Media room:

Screen wall:

Playroom:

Walk-in Closet (to the left), Bathroom (to the right):

One of the view's from the media/rec room:

Bedroom:

View out the sliding glass door:

More views out the walkout:

post #4 of 229 Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reserved x 4
post #5 of 229 Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the bar and fireplace area, scored a great deal on stone veneer at Costco. $24.97 a box ($2.99 a square foot). Ten boxes later, unloaded the van.. Heavy stuff, but this should really compliment our wall color...

This is a great price.
post #6 of 229 Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reserved again
post #7 of 229 Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You sure do have a lot of reservations for a Minnesotan.

Looking forward to following your progress!

EDIT: What is that mixture of insulation on the one wall? Looks a bit unusual. Is this new construction with the insulation by the builder?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #8 of 229 Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

You sure do have a lot of reservations for a Minnesotan.

Looking forward to following your progress!

EDIT: What is that mixture of insulation on the one wall? Looks a bit unusual. Is this new construction with the insulation by the builder?

Hanesian, thanks for the support. After hauling all that stone veneer yesterday I feel like this:

As for the insulation mix, that is an exterior wall and the builder put in the original insulation and vapor barrier. I am asking the question now in the dedicated theater forum on how to handle it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1342095

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.. I am guessing I need to remove the vapor barrier, insulate with unfaced in the wall cavities, than apply a vapor barrier to the new wall which is the heated side?
post #9 of 229 Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.. I am guessing I need to remove the vapor barrier, insulate with unfaced in the wall cavities, than apply a vapor barrier to the new wall which is the heated side?

That's pretty much what I would do. Further rambling thoughts/details in the separate insulation thread you linked.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #10 of 229 Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's pretty much what I would do. Further rambling thoughts/details in the separate insulation thread you linked.

This seems to be the consensus in the other thread. I will check with the local inspector to see what he thinks.

More updates:
Got some more framing done this weekend in the bathroom. Will be busting out the rest of the bathroom (lots of difficult soffit work in there) this weekend and will post pics.

Plumber is scheduled for June 29th and have two more bids coming for electrical work. Moving along...

Also had some guys out painting our main floor living room and am getting a bid on all the drywall work for the basement. Hiring out that whole job (been there, done that, hated every minute of it). Mudding and taping is just not my thing.
post #11 of 229 Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also nice to see more theaters getting built in the Twin Cities area. Hehateme has a thread going in the dedicated theater forum and he is literally around the corner from me in Maple Grove.

I have two neighbors watching my build closely as they are considering a theater room/media room with a projector in the near future. Once I get it done I plan on having several parties
post #12 of 229 Old 06-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Old

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unless there are a bunch of pipes or a sump pump in the bottom left corner in the mech room, which I can't tell from the pics, why not extend the play room all the way to the exterior wall, making the mechanical room smaller? Seems like a waste of space.

Other than that, lookin' great so far. And I hear yah on the weight of these veneer stones!
Old
post #13 of 229 Old 06-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:

For the bar and fireplace area, scored a great deal on stone veneer at Costco. $24.97 a box ($2.99 a square foot). Ten boxes later, unloaded the van.. Heavy stuff, but this should really compliment our wall color...

This is a great price.

That is a great price... nice score. I have 6 boxes sitting down stairs, waiting for me to install after drywall. I bought them about 3 months ago (thinking they would go fast) for about $38/box.
post #14 of 229 Old 06-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Chaska in the house !!

Robert
post #15 of 229 Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old View Post

Unless there are a bunch of pipes or a sump pump in the bottom left corner in the mech room, which I can't tell from the pics, why not extend the play room all the way to the exterior wall, making the mechanical room smaller? Seems like a waste of space.

Other than that, lookin' great so far. And I hear yah on the weight of these veneer stones!
Old

The scale is a little off for the storage/mechanical room. We really debated making the playroom larger, but, we are a family of five with lots of crap. So we went with more storage. My neighbors have a similar floor plan except the builder gave them little storage, and they helped us decide to have a little more.
post #16 of 229 Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by namewaiter View Post

That is a great price... nice score. I have 6 boxes sitting down stairs, waiting for me to install after drywall. I bought them about 3 months ago (thinking they would go fast) for about $38/box.

Funny enough, I almost jumped at $38 too. After pricing out the local big box stores you still scored a great deal.
post #17 of 229 Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

Chaska in the house !!

Robert

Awesome!
post #18 of 229 Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 AM

Are you doing any special framing for the in-walls?

I have been contemplating that when I do mine. Thinking of creating spaces for each in-wall so I can isolate them and also seal them.
post #19 of 229 Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 View Post

Are you doing any special framing for the in-walls?

I have been contemplating that when I do mine. Thinking of creating spaces for each in-wall so I can isolate them and also seal them.

http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...er_systems/D2/

Take a look at this article. If you have open baffle speakers you absolutely wan't sealed enclosures. I would recommend consulting with the speaker manufacturer to determine the size of the enclosures. The speakers I purchased (Deftech RLS II's) have an engineered sealed enclosure and the mains will fit perfectly in a standard wall. The sealed surrounds will require additional bracing in the ceiling, but I will prep for that before the drywall goes in.

Love the name for your build thread....
post #20 of 229 Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:

http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...er_systems/D2/

Take a look at this article. If you have open baffle speakers you absolutely wan't sealed enclosures. I would recommend consulting with the speaker manufacturer to determine the size of the enclosures. The speakers I purchased (Deftech RLS II's) have an engineered sealed enclosure and the mains will fit perfectly in a standard wall. The sealed surrounds will require additional bracing in the ceiling, but I will prep for that before the drywall goes in.

Love the name for your build thread....

I was thinking of the monoprice in walls as phase 1. They are not enclosed so I am going to frame my wall out to best contain them. I'm really looking forward to your set up.

As far as my build thread , As a goalie that's the running joke with me, one too many pucks to the head.
post #21 of 229 Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was thinking of the monoprice in walls as phase 1. They are not enclosed so I am going to frame my wall out to best contain them. I'm really looking forward to your set up.

As far as my build thread , As a goalie that's the running joke with me, one too many pucks to the head.

Check these out. Comparable sound to the Monoprice in walls, but they have engineered enclosures. Note the price is for a pair:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=218175066
post #22 of 229 Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Prescott, Wi. here... Other side of the Croix, right where it meets with the Miss.

Got my sofa's from a guy up in Maple Grove. Nice area!
post #23 of 229 Old 06-22-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow - a goalie. We don't get too many goalies 'round these parts. Most Minnesotans and Finlanders are too bright for that so they end up skating up ice, leaving the net to be filled by Canadians, Bostonians, Swedes and other similarly demented riff-raff.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #24 of 229 Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

As a Swedish/Canadian, I resemble that remark!
post #25 of 229 Old 06-22-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post

As a Swedish/Canadian, I resemble that remark!

You don't say ... what a coincidence ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #26 of 229 Old 06-23-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOL, Haniesian let me know where your next stand-up act will be in the Twin Cities area..

Have a fireplace consultation in the morning. Going with this gas fireplace in the corner:

Instead of tile will be using the veneer as posted above from Costco. Plan on having the fireplace about 12" off the floor so I can carry the veneer below and above.

Going to make a big push this weekend to get the rest of the framing done (or most of the rest if that makes sense). Plumber coming on Wednesday. Waiting on one more final bid for electrical and then I will be pulling the trigger. It will be nice to let somebody else do some work
post #27 of 229 Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, ack_bk, all my stand up shows are sold out for many months in advance. Sometimes it pays to have a lot of relatives.

I think you'll like a gas fireplace in the basement. I converted our wood burning FP to a gas one this past winter and loved it - it was much easier, and it really helped warm up the basement quickly. We went from rarely using the basement during the winter to it being the preferred hang out spot, mainly beacuse of the gas fp.

One thought on the laminate - even if the temperature of a gas fp may not require tile or brick as a "hearth," you might consider doing something like that anyway as it makes it look that much more like a "regular" fp. Something about a fp with no hearth that just seems naked to me.

Good luck!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #28 of 229 Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, ack_bk, all my stand up shows are sold out for many months in advance. Sometimes it pays to have a lot of relatives.

I think you'll like a gas fireplace in the basement. I converted our wood burning FP to a gas one this past winter and loved it - it was much easier, and it really helped warm up the basement quickly. We went from rarely using the basement during the winter to it being the preferred hang out spot, mainly beacuse of the gas fp.

One thought on the laminate - even if the temperature of a gas fp may not require tile or brick as a "hearth," you might consider doing something like that anyway as it makes it look that much more like a "regular" fp. Something about a fp with no hearth that just seems naked to me.

Good luck!

Hanesian. Agreed on the fireplace. We did not add one to our basement in Utah and really regretted it. Luckily one of the local fireplace stores had a Groupon recently and we were able to get the fireplace 50% off.

I am going to keep my mind open on he mantle. Pretty sure the wife will have the final say.
post #29 of 229 Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

So are you venting into an existing fireplace stack? Or are you setting new (through a wall or something).

Our house was built (on purpose) without fireplace. But the idea of a fireplace in the basement is intriguing....
post #30 of 229 Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post

So are you venting into an existing fireplace stack? Or are you setting new (through a wall or something).

Our house was built (on purpose) without fireplace. But the idea of a fireplace in the basement is intriguing....

We are venting through a new stack. It is actually a pretty short run to the exterior side wall of our house for venting. Being in Minnesota, the fireplace will be well worth the cost. Fireplace, venting, and installation of the fireplace, gas lines, electrical wiring/switch, etc will cost around $2300 total.

Money well spend in my opinion.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page