What am I missing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved into a rental home where the owner had set up surround sound. She ended up leaving the wall-mounted flat screen TV along with the A/V receiver, wall mounted speakers, subwoofer, DVD player and CD player since she said it would be more of a hassle for her to remove it. I am really grateful for her that she left all of that but am completely clueless on how to get it to work properly. I tried to play a DVD (changed TV's input to DVD, turned DVD player on (with DVD in), and pressed play). Nothing happened. I could see the time lapsing on the DVD screen but saw nothing on the TV. When I asked her for advice, she said I need to get Comcast cable for it to work and that the wires are all color coded to make it easy to set up.

Do I really need to order a cable box to use the TV and the surround sound even to play a DVD? Am I missing a key piece of equipment? It doesn't look like there are any loose wires behind the equipment.

If this helps, here is the specific devices:

AV receiver: Denon AVR-1802
DVD Player: Sony DVP N5700P
CD player: Sony CDPC211
TV: Panasonic Viera (not sure of the model number but can find out if it's important)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-03-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
IF the TV is working okay and ALL inputs are working okay and IF the DVD player is working okay including the Output then your problem is probably a simple bad connection between the components.

Does the DVD video output go through the receiver or directly to the TV?

Simply follow the color coded wire FROM the DVD "out" to whichever "input" it is plugged into (TV or Receiver) and then make sure that the Receiver or TV has that particular input selected.

If the DVD "out" goes to an "input" on the receiver then make sure that the correct "input" is selected on the receiver. Then follow the wire from the receiver "output" to the "input" on the TV and then with the TV on make sure that the correct "input" is selected on the TV.

Basically, you are just following the "trail" of "outputs" to "inputs" and that ain't hard. If the "input" selections are correct on the receiver and/or the TV then you might have a bad wire/cable between two of the components and so the next step would be to change the wire/cable and see if the problem is solved.

IMO, the ONLY reason you would need a Comcast device is if you want to see cable programming on the TV. Otherwise, you should be able to watch a DVD - IF - the TV/Receiver/DVD components are working properly - and IF - the outputs are connected to the proper inputs with "good" wires/cables.
GoodLuck
post #3 of 3 Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
For solving your immediate problem, since you have a Denon receiver, we can assume she connected to it, in order to get to the TV. You need to turn the DENON on also and change it to the DVD input.

We can help further if that seems to make sense.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page