I would like your advice on the NEW PLACE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-03-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reading through sooo many threads, looking at sooo many great setups, and I'm getting stumped on a few odds and ends for the new place. We get the keys next week to a foreclosure condo/villa and I have a bit of time to tear into it. 1st thing is the kitchen moving to the other end of the unit, to appease my wife. That includes removing the existing kitchen, moving electrical around, capping plumbing, removing ceramic tile, etc. New false columns, shelves, and beams to hide cables, etc. are going in as well as nice carpet will be laid in this area under the south loft. The south loft will be my home office and I will have the media "closet" up there and will drop cables to suit. Looking at the plans and sections you'll see I have included a drop down DIY screen. If I'm lucky floor joists are running east/west, but I think I'll be adding a good sized header and having to build up the joists to carry the floor around the new hole, or flip down, or roll down is the final solution. Projector placement is another problem I foresee. I'll shop for this as I get other things done. Then there's acoustic treatments to the room to keep the neighbors happy, but not too critical as there are poured concrete demising walls to the roof peak.

I would like advice on speaker locations for the 5.1 and possible 7.1 system for the main floor. WAF is important here. She is happy with the 5- DefTech ProCenters we have and hates those "big ugly boxes"... 2- Paridigm Phantom V.1, Pinnacle sub, 2- Blose Interaudio 100, 2- 15" homemade subs, Wharfdale Center, a couple more DefTech ProCinema 800's, and another 8-10 more... So some if these will be in my loft, some in the garage. I'll have a 5.2 up there with the majority being music. You get the picture? It has taken 8 years to convince her those "cubes that you pay 50x more than they're worth and sound like $h1t" are not going in the new place. Amps at the moment are adequate, but will be upgraded in the future.

The ultimate goal is to get this odd shaped space to sound right. I'm thinking of linking the two main systems (LR & office) to work in unison, but the office is a reverse layout to the living room, and 9' higher. Don't really want to be flipping speakers around all the time.

We watch TV 50% & movies 50%... I have tunes on during the day while I'm working, and usually loud.

Critique, Ideas, Feedback, have at it, it'll all be welcome.
TIA

Main Floor Plan

Lofts Plan

View South Section

View West Section

View North Section

"The Before"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
really nice foreclosure

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #3 of 21 Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ellmolic, we think this place is it for a while. We started the process March 3 with the first bid, had to up the bid, we were outbid again, but it didn't feel like we lost it. I told the listing agent to keep our name handy and April 14 he said the high bidder backed out, so we put the offer in again and it was accepted the next day. June 14 was supposed to be closing day, but getting banks to loan on condo property down here is like the square peg in the round hole trick. Two months of every piece of information on us with the first bank and they dropped us closing day because they didn't like the association. I found another bank only 2 1/2 weeks ago that had just mortgaged a property in there and today we're going to get to pop the cork on the bottle that's been sitting in the fridge for too long. We've been packed and ready to go for almost a month.
It's 15 years old, freshly painted and carpeted and the only owner upgrades it's seen are a make-shift closet in the master bedroom that needs to be drywalled and painted and here's the best one: they closed off the south loft with OSB sheathing on a not quite right knee wall, and the bank went and painted it all.

That wall comes out tomorrow to make it a proper loft again. Wifey gets to paint the courtyard to get rid of the green bean green.

Back to topic; I'm still not sure of speaker placement with the rear surrounds and possible side surrounds if I go 7.2. The "big ugly" subs I'm thinking of placing right above the couch in the office loft on each side of my desk. They'll be great for 2.2 listening when I'm "at work" with the Paradigms next to them powered by a well seasoned Dyna-Lab Quadraphonic receiver. I intend to acoustic panel up there as they'll be aimed at a demising wall. I have a recent 12" Sony sub that'll be Y'd off of the living room AVR to do local duty and will need to find a WAF location as well as a good sounding. Once again... Suggestions?

and some eye candy:
post #4 of 21 Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Congrats - it looks like you already have speakers drawn in? Do you not want to put them there? If you are looking for more WAF - have you thought about quality in-wall speakers (B&W, Paradigm, Atlantic Technology, etc.)? Not much you can do about large subwoofers unless you are willing to drop some $ on a new sealed PSW or 2 for the smaller footprint. Example is the Paradigm Seismic 110 (800w, 1,700 peak), but is around $1,000 - $1,200
post #5 of 21 Old 07-07-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
PS--- replace the cheap contractor fans with their almost horizontal paddles (no real air movement) with good 52" or 60/62" fans that will move air at low speeds. Not that this has anything to do with your HT setup
post #6 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Demo/Repair/Redo started:

OSB Wall removed and I've put the desk on the short wall for now.

Yes, Vanmeter, ceiling fans were on the list. Had to trim the ceiling escution with a dremel tool to suit the slope.

Tile and thin-set destroyer

Getting there...

Electrician, new kitchen, appliances, carpet, all scheduled for this week.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
real nice, im jealous.... i think in wall speakers would look great and fit into it seamlessly
post #8 of 21 Old 08-22-2011, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Some progress...

The 61" Panni looks a bit lost in there, speaker stands and wall mounts are on the agenda for this week. Still haven't found the "right" fan/light fixtures for these areas yet either.

Generalpride, the common walls are not framed deep enough for in-walls, (hard to fish wires through 1" rigid insul too) and I prefer being able to change speakers on a whim
post #9 of 21 Old 08-25-2011, 04:51 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Congrats, very cool, and good luck.

Quote:

Still haven't found the "right" fan/light fixtures for these areas yet either.

Take your time, you'll know them when you see them. Also, you'll enjoy high quality, long after you forget the price

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #10 of 21 Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

We did a 180 in the original design thinking and this is the result:

Moved the big 'ol Panny into the master bedroom, put the bedroom 50" LG plasma on the Ikea wall for now, and now have a nice tidy cabinet for the AV gear, HTPC, and snacks along the south wall. Liquid refreshments and glasses are in the lower cabinet, and the wife's pretty things have a new place to sit.
I have an order in for more LED lights to install behind the glass, hurry-up-and-wait...
post #11 of 21 Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Nice! Very clean. Your sub doesnt shake any of the things in the glass cabby??

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #12 of 21 Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM

Very nice! I like the shelving.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-02-2011, 02:09 PM

I like the look and feel you have going on in that space. It's really refreshing!
post #14 of 21 Old 12-03-2011, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Nice! Very clean. Your sub doesnt shake any of the things in the glass cabby??

Not in the cabinets, but the Framsta glass panels needed a bit of tweaking to keep them from rattling. They are designed to sit in the aluminum frame without any isolation, and it rattled, so I used a couple of drops of silicone caulk in the bottom track as setting blocks and a couple in the top track to snug it in tight and they don't vibrate. Tip: let the silicone dry before assembly and all it takes are small drops. All the Def Techs sit on felt pads so they are relatively isolated too. The sub is next to the chaise in the corner and acoustic panels and a short trap are in the works, but so far not too boomy.

Thanks for the compliments, the WAF was met, and we spend a lot of time in this room. My dentist just cleaned out the Sharp TV funds and now the new 80" LED is on the want list for future upgrades.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but we recently moved and I had a huge IKEA setup installed -- 8 foot high Besta shelving on either side, small Besta cabinets running across the top, larger ones in the middle on the bottom, and the 70-inch mounted on the Framsta glass panels. It was such a huge job I had one of the IKEA "independent" contractors do it to save me the aggravation.

In any event, I hooked up the sub and of course the first thing I noticed was that about half of the Framsta panels rattle like crazy. It's too late for the silicon caulk solution since I don't want to get involved in taking the TV down and disassembling the panels (then remounting it all). The only idea I've been able to come up with is sticking small wads of paper in the crevices of the offending panels. This will work in theory, since I've tested it with a few folded up pieces of paper, which immediately stabilized and dampened the rattles. Before I start it with tearing up bits of paper and trying to insert them in the crevices so they'll be invisible, might anyone have any other ideas?
post #16 of 21 Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I don't know what your shelves look like, but you could use caulk. Something less damaging than caulk and more permanent than paper might be 'backer rod', sold in different thicknesses at Home Depot/Lowes. Don't know if you could find it thin enough, though.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #17 of 21 Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I don't know what your shelves look like, but you could use caulk. Something less damaging than caulk and more permanent than paper might be 'backer rod', sold in different thicknesses at Home Depot/Lowes. Don't know if you could find it thin enough, though.

They're glass panels rather than shelves -- the exact same gray-green IKEA panels as in the pics posted by mndwgz above. Each one is seated in an aluminum frame -- some seated more firmly than others. I expect the worst has about 1/16" or so of play between the panel and the frame, but that's enough to make quite a (non-essential) racket when the sub is going.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post

Sorry to bump an old thread, but we recently moved and I had a huge IKEA setup installed -- 8 foot high Besta shelving on either side, small Besta cabinets running across the top, larger ones in the middle on the bottom, and the 70-inch mounted on the Framsta glass panels. It was such a huge job I had one of the IKEA "independent" contractors do it to save me the aggravation.

In any event, I hooked up the sub and of course the first thing I noticed was that about half of the Framsta panels rattle like crazy. It's too late for the silicon caulk solution since I don't want to get involved in taking the TV down and disassembling the panels (then remounting it all). The only idea I've been able to come up with is sticking small wads of paper in the crevices of the offending panels. This will work in theory, since I've tested it with a few folded up pieces of paper, which immediately stabilized and dampened the rattles. Before I start it with tearing up bits of paper and trying to insert them in the crevices so they'll be invisible, might anyone have any other ideas?

Hi Jas, I had a couple of panels loosen on me and instead of trying to get some caulk in there, I had one of those hmmmm moments and pushed the "snot" that credit cards use to hold them in the letter. AARP is a steady supply and other envelopes and flyers use it too. biggrin.gif

Oh yea, pictures or it didn't happen...
post #19 of 21 Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndwgz View Post

Hi Jas, I had a couple of panels loosen on me and instead of trying to get some caulk in there, I had one of those hmmmm moments and pushed the "snot" that credit cards use to hold them in the letter. AARP is a steady supply and other envelopes and flyers use it too. biggrin.gif

Oh yea, pictures or it didn't happen...

Ha ha, good to know. I will definitely remember that. I lucked out -- we have a handyman who was moving the side surrounds -- which had been installed in the ceiling by the previous owner of the house -- to a different ceiling location. I don't know what he did -- I wasn't home, my wife was -- but when my wife told him the problem, he had some solution and fixed the rattling completely. Passed both the Transformers Blu-ray and Dub Syndicate CD tests. Next time I see him, I'll ask him for the record here.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

The living room, kitchen, laundry, spare bath, and Wifeys loft are done. My loft is next. Finished demo and I have a plan. Drywall patching to do, paint, and new carpet is already waiting in the garage. First pic in post 6 shows the before, the closet wall on the left came out and gave me an extra 40 sq. ft. The low back wall of the now abandoned closet is 32" high, the right wall is 11'-0+.

Moar Ikea Besta preview:

post #21 of 21 Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Those glass doors could use the Inreda wine racks and glass racks with lights and mirrors. They're pretty nice accessories!

Make sure you have depth on your media shelves. Shelves are only 14" deep and the the side frames are 15.5" deep.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page