Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 343 Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
UPDATE!

So my Serena Shades arrived on Thursday. I put them up yesterday and was actually quite surprised by how easy they were to install. The first window took about 15 minutes, with each of the remaining two being about 10 minutes. Each shade works off of RF and is powered by 6 D-Cell batteries. I've linked to a short video below showing them in action.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 343 Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Those are super sweet! Very big on the cool factor! Well done.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #273 of 343 Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Those blinds are cool. Very nice. So you press one button and they all move in unison like that?

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #274 of 343 Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. Yea, the remote controls up to 5 blinds at once I think. You basically can set the upper and lower limits of each. The remote has a full open / full close button, as well as stops in between. There's also a favorite button that could be used when needing to close 2 and keep 1 open or something like that.

We finally have painters lined up again, so it's looking like March 4th-6th on that. I'll post pics as progress continues. I'm also hoping to get the rack worked in there very soon too. From there, it's just decorating with my posters, some acoustic panels, and battery packs for the seats (oh..and shakers). The bar is still a ways off.
post #275 of 343 Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Painting begins on Monday and should be complete on Wednesday. I'm also waiting to hear back from a sales rep regarding my rack. I finally decided with a 42U unit, as he 43U would only give me a half inch of clearance.While it should still fit, I feel more comfortable with 2" of clearance on the 42, so that's what I'm going with. If all goes well, the rack should be here by the end of the week, assuming I order it today or Monday.

Pics to come!
post #276 of 343 Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Paint started yesterday. The walls got their first coat of a deeper brown, and two coats of dark brown were sprayed on the ceiling in the movie area of the basement. Today we're putting the 2nd coat on the walls and a third coat on the ceiling. The high gloss finish should be going on the columns today too. I'm looking very forward to that.

Here are some photos of yesterday's work. I'll have some more tonight, and plan on taking some photos with my SLR once the work is done. The Iphone only seems to do so well with dark colors like these.

Enjoy!

The ceiling is still wet in this photo, so ignore the streaks:

On a side note, it looks like my magnetic grill covers for my Klipsch in-ceiling speakers do not work too well with being painted, even though they are marked as paintable. Does anyone know if Klipsch makes black versions of these?
post #277 of 343 Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Room is looking great Jason. Most in-ceiling speakers are paintable, but I imagine you have to be careful when you paint it as to not fill the "holes" with paint. Not sure the best process for that.

7.1 Dedicated Home Theater
Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV
Audio: Harman Kardon AVR 3600 with Sherbourn 72100A...

post #278 of 343 Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Liked: 11
Looks fantastic! What's the shade of brown on the ceiling? Any plans for the base moulding and the crown on the columns? White? Brown? Black?
post #279 of 343 Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

Room is looking great Jason. Most in-ceiling speakers are paintable, but I imagine you have to be careful when you paint it as to not fill the "holes" with paint. Not sure the best process for that.

Looks like spray cans are the way to go, with toothpicks on hand in case anything gets clogged. I'm planning on painting them black.
post #280 of 343 Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat91 View Post

Looks fantastic! What's the shade of brown on the ceiling? Any plans for the base moulding and the crown on the columns? White? Brown? Black?

It's all Sherwin Williams paint:

Ceiling - Well-Bred Brown (SW7027)
Walls - Plantation Brown (SW7520)
Columns - Meadowlark (SW7522)

The baseboards being matched to the existing ones with Sherwin Williams Antique White enamel. Crown on the columns will be painted with Meadowlark to match the columns. I'll eventually either paint the light fixtures black or get some bronze ones. The rear row will still be downlights, but I want to swap out the front 3 for directional eyes.
post #281 of 343 Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Painting is all done, so I took a moment to snap a few quick pictures with things back in place. I'll take some better ones once the rack is in (it arrived 5 minutes ago) and the posters are up on the wall.

post #282 of 343 Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 11
Jason - Looks fantastic!!! Of course I might be a little biased because it's similar to the color scheme I have planned. Next question is where did you find the Giraffe print throws??? I wanted to do a zebra print rug for the theater, but the boss is shooting down the idea
post #283 of 343 Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jason - Looks fantastic!!! Of course I might be a little biased because it's similar to the color scheme I have planned. Next question is where did you find the Giraffe print throws??? I wanted to do a zebra print rug for the theater, but the boss is shooting down the idea

Thanks. Regarding the throws - I believe we picked them up at Target during a black friday sale.
post #284 of 343 Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found it:

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-multi-giraffe-faux-fur-throw/-/A-14181945#prodSlot=medium_1_7&term=threshhold+throw
post #285 of 343 Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good, looking very very good. Nicely done. The colors have a very rich look to them. Turning out to be a great space.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #286 of 343 Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Looking good, looking very very good. Nicely done. The colors have a very rich look to them. Turning out to be a great space.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks! So I took the rack parts downstairs last night and spread them out on the floor. Holy crap is the base heavy! I'm hoping to get started on it later today and try to have it in place by the end of the weekend, so we'll.

I was also going to do some black acoustical panels in the room between my movie posters, but I'm now thinking something in a beige tone will look better. I guess it's time to order some samples!
post #287 of 343 Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still some work to be done, but I wanted to post some progress pictures on the rack. The rack shipped in two boxes. One was a tube containing the 4 rack rails, and the other box had the sliding mechanism, and top plate for the rack.

Here's everything out of the box :

The first step as to place the top plate on the floor and begin installing the rack rails. These went in with 2 rack screws each:

From there, the other three rails were attached the same way:

I then flipped the unit over to do a dry fit on the sliding base:

Once in place, the rack will slide out for maintenance and installation of the electronics. To support the weight on the front-end, there is a nifty roller assembly that attaches to the front of the rack. This consists of a main roller unit and 2 threaded shafts on each end used to raise of lower the mounting brackets based on the install height. Here is it showing one installed shaft and the the other ready to go in:

I then installed the base unit to the closet floor. I couldn't help but feel like Deadmau5 with the little turntable in place. The folding legs in the back can be used for cable management when moving the rack in and out. I'm sure it's overkill, but I put a screw in every hole I could find - a total of 24. It's going nowhere.

Here's a dry fit of the rack in place with the current shelves and panels I have on hand. I still need to order another shelf and faceplate for my sub amp, as well as some filler plates to finish it off.

On a down note, one of the threads for the roller assembly was bored incorrectly, so I need to wait for a replacement before I can put my equipment in place. The good news is that it should arrive tomorrow, so I'm still on track. I'll post some additional photos with the equipment in place and my attempt at cable management. I'll be trimming it out with the same casing I have around my windows, so it should be a good match.
post #288 of 343 Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nice job Jason! It looks cozy and roomy at the same time, which isn't easy to do. BTW - I'm definitely sold on using some version of the columns.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #289 of 343 Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

Nice job Jason! It looks cozy and roomy at the same time, which isn't easy to do. BTW - I'm definitely sold on using some version of the columns.

Awesome! I'd love to see my design used in another build.
post #290 of 343 Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
^^^^^^^^^^

Jason...wow, nicely done. .I have been away for too damn long and I missed your progress. Damn, nicely done. I love the colors and the layout. The room looks so inviting!
post #291 of 343 Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Rack is gonna be sweet, nice score very cool.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #292 of 343 Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had a few issues with the support stand that attaches to the rack for installation and service. After a couple of wild goose chases in the Raxxess documentation, I finally got it sorted out. Here's a shot of the rack with the stand. With a solid platform to roll on, the rack easily slides out. I also ordered my custom rack and faceplate for my bass shaker amp (I went wit a Dayton SA230 from Parts Express) today. Once that arrives, I'll need a few blank filler plates to wrap things up before adding the trim pieces.

post #293 of 343 Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
That looks pretty solid. Does it seem like it will roll out smoothly once it's all loaded up?

Nice paint btw. I really like that color.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #294 of 343 Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

That looks pretty solid. Does it seem like it will roll out smoothly once it's all loaded up?

Nice paint btw. I really like that color.

It's pretty solid, especially with the equipment in place. I've been adding some cable trays to the back as well to make it a little tighter, but when full, the rack should be able to support up to 650 pounds. I have a custom shelf and faceplate coming for my shaker amp tomorrow, and I've ordered some additional filler plates to finish it off for now, so I'll take some photos once it's all in place and before the trim goes up.

One thing I did want to mention. I ended up ordering this locally through a place called The Final Click. While they did pricematch and did send me a 2nd rack (rather than just the part) to fix the roller issue, I don't think I'd be recommending them to anyone that wants to spend a grand on something like this. The documentation ended up having several errors that further complicated things. While the sales rep was initially helpful, once I pointed out the issues and asked if he could do anything to make this experience a positive one, he decided to just flat out ignore me - in my opinion, the worst customer service ever. I figured if I could at least warn others to stay away, it would be a step in the right direction.

On a totally unrelated note, does anyone out there have any info on where to find some decent touchscreen monitors that won't break the bank? I want to use one for a jukebox, and am not sure if I want to go the Ebay route (ELO seems to be the most common brand).
post #295 of 343 Old 03-22-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My filler panels and last shelf came in today, so I went ahead and got everything in the rack. The open spot up top is for the PS3. I just haven't put it in yet. Here are a couple of shots.

The kids want to watch Wreck It Ralph this weekend, so I guess I need to get all of the cables hooked up next. Stay tuned!
post #296 of 343 Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bad news tonight!

So I made some progress today by putting in a poplar shelf for the projector. I'll paint it soon and then trim it out with the rack, but I wanted to get everything hooked up for a movie tonight. I started by getting video and audio running through the receiver and calibrating speaker levels. Everything was fine until I got to my final speaker test. First some static and a weak sounding signal, followed by a loud pop and then smoke coming from the back of the receiver. I'm guessing there was some kind of short somewhere, but everything looked fine when I checked.

The end result is the receiver won't even power on now, so I'm thinking I should probably cut my losses and start looking at a replacement. For what it's worth, this was the Onkyo TX-SR806. Absolutely zero problems up until now.
post #297 of 343 Old 03-24-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Man that really sucks! Especially since there were zero issues till now. It does sound like something shorted, by your explanation, maybe something internal? Any ideas on what you might replace it with?

Hopefully you will be back in business soon.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #298 of 343 Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually picked up a Denon 2313ci this afternoon. Wish me luck!
post #299 of 343 Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Actually picked up a Denon 2313ci this afternoon. Wish me luck!

You may want to look at the Maple Grove Costco: http://slickdeals.net/f/5927446-Pioneer-SC-1522-K-9-2-Channel-Network-Ready-AV-Receiver-599-99-Costco-in-store-only-YMMV

Pioneer SC-1522 for $599 is insane. Might already be gone though. There were 14 left when I picked one up on Saturday.
post #300 of 343 Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice score, well done. Now hook it up, test it out, and report back pronto!

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page