Theater 3.0 - Rise of The Popcorn Machines! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 343 Old 07-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mn_hokie, I'm in Woodbury and recently finished our "all-in-one" basement with many of the same features / functions and roughly the same finished square foot. I will try and get some photos up for you to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 343 Old 07-14-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

mn_hokie, I'm in Woodbury and recently finished our "all-in-one" basement with many of the same features / functions and roughly the same finished square foot. I will try and get some photos up for you to look at.

That would be awesome. Also, I know it's short notice, but feel free to join us this afternoon for the get together.
post #33 of 343 Old 07-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the invitation. Count me in for the next happy hour. I'm headed to Jake's in Eagan after work to entertain some clients.
post #34 of 343 Old 07-14-2011, 01:51 PM

To answer your previous question, you should take a look at Polk's LC80i in-ceiling speakers. We have 11 pair of these around the house for background music and they simply rock. Great sound, good bass response, and very articulate for in-ceiling speakers. They are 4-ohm speakers so you need some decent amplification for them.
post #35 of 343 Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To answer your previous question, you should take a look at Polk's LC80i in-ceiling speakers. We have 11 pair of these around the house for background music and they simply rock. Great sound, good bass response, and very articulate for in-ceiling speakers. They are 4-ohm speakers so you need some decent amplification for them.

I like the reviews, but not the price. ouch!
post #36 of 343 Old 07-15-2011, 07:18 AM

Yes, they tend to be more expensive but they are very nice. You can find them on Amazon / eBay for less money.

So, how was the happy hour? Did you have a good turn out?
post #37 of 343 Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, they tend to be more expensive but they are very nice. You can find them on Amazon / eBay for less money.

So, how was the happy hour? Did you have a good turn out?

Happy hour was cool. There ended up being 5 of us.
post #38 of 343 Old 07-15-2011, 04:26 PM

Liked: 18
I was going to suggest moving the wall between the game room & bedroom and extending it to be flush with the rear bar wall, but then I realized the windows in the game room. Ugh, how about moving those windows over a few feet?
post #39 of 343 Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec4 View Post

I was going to suggest moving the wall between the game room & bedroom and extending it to be flush with the rear bar wall, but then I realized the windows in the game room. Ugh, how about moving those windows over a few feet?

Wouldn't be a bad plan if the basement wasn't already finished
post #40 of 343 Old 07-16-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Great thread title.

Just found the thread. I feel your pain on builders putting the electrical in happenstance places. I like option B or E, for the rack, or F - just stick it in the unfinished space and use repeaters. Depends how much you like to look at the shiny lights and how much optical media you use, but an option.
post #41 of 343 Old 07-16-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just noticed your thread and I am in Maple Grove. I am finishing the framing on a large open area media room, bar, bathroom, bedroom just like yours

Very cool. Will definitely subscribe and let me know when you guys want to get together again.

Cheers!
post #42 of 343 Old 07-16-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Just noticed your thread and I am in Maple Grove. I am finishing the framing on a large open area media room, bar, bathroom, bedroom just like yours

Very cool. Will definitely subscribe and let me know when you guys want to get together again.

Cheers!

Would love to check out your build. Feel free to shoot me a PM and let me know where in MG you are.
post #43 of 343 Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I started by having the builder's electrician come out to give me a quote on running some new circuits from my panelboard to the theater and bar locations. Basically, we're looking at a single 20amp for the theater equipment, and 2-20amps for the future bar. We're considering a convection microwave oven in the bar, which is is the main reason for the additional circuit.

Anyways, I figured the electricians that built the house would be a good start since they had a better understanding of the necessary routing. Long story short, his quote came in between $600 and $700. I'm thinking like half that, so I'm calling my back up guy this week to get him out for an estimate.

As far as locations, I still think my favorite spot right now is in that corner between the bar and bathroom. I'm still thnking things through, so we'll see if it sticks. We visited a model home last week too that had an arched soffit built over the media area. I really liked how that broke up the room a little, so it's a thought as well.
post #44 of 343 Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

So I started by having the builder's electrician come out to give me a quote on running some new circuits from my panelboard to the theater and bar locations. Basically, we're looking at a single 20amp for the theater equipment, and 2-20amps for the future bar. We're considering a convection microwave oven in the bar, which is is the main reason for the additional circuit.

Anyways, I figured the electricians that built the house would be a good start since they had a better understanding of the necessary routing. Long story short, his quote came in between $600 and $700. I'm thinking like half that, so I'm calling my back up guy this week to get him out for an estimate.

As far as locations, I still think my favorite spot right now is in that corner between the bar and bathroom. I'm still thnking things through, so we'll see if it sticks. We visited a model home last week too that had an arched soffit built over the media area. I really liked how that broke up the room a little, so it's a thought as well.

I wonder if you could integrate a hush-box for your projector into the soffit as well?
post #45 of 343 Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Hey Jason, look forward to seeing the progress on 3.0. Did you leave the Klipsch speakers behind? If so, what are you considering using?

You mentioned you want bigger/better...are you going to move up from bookshelf speakers to towers? If you are still interested in Klipsch, since the new RF-7ii's came out, there are some sweet prices on the RF-83's and RF-63's both in the used and new market.

7.1 Dedicated Home Theater
Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV
Audio: Harman Kardon AVR 3600 with Sherbourn 72100A...

post #46 of 343 Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone know where I can find pictures online of the home theater design section of Home Theater Magazine? There's an install in the August 2011 edition that I'd love to post a photo of.
post #47 of 343 Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

On their website? Or if you have the magazine maybe scan it to your pc?

What specific magazine is it and is it worth a subscription to?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #48 of 343 Old 07-25-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was a no-go on the website. I'll just scan it in. The magazine is Home Theater magazine. I've subscribed to that one and Electronic House for years.
post #49 of 343 Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Which one shows more "build" stories? I am interested more in them rather than the equipment aspect.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #50 of 343 Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

Hey Jason, look forward to seeing the progress on 3.0. Did you leave the Klipsch speakers behind? If so, what are you considering using?

You mentioned you want bigger/better...are you going to move up from bookshelf speakers to towers? If you are still interested in Klipsch, since the new RF-7ii's came out, there are some sweet prices on the RF-83's and RF-63's both in the used and new market.

So far my RB35's seem to be handling the job, but I do think they look a little small in the larger space now. I'm definately considering going towards some towers on this build now though.
post #51 of 343 Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Which one shows more "build" stories? I am interested more in them rather than the equipment aspect.

Home Theater Magazine has a supplement called Home Theater Design I believe. I don't know if it's a standalone subscription though.
post #52 of 343 Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have any free 3d modeling software they can recommend that's fairly user friendly? I have some additional ideas about the room layout and wanted to dry and create a graphical version of it if possible.

Thanks in advance!
post #53 of 343 Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 AM

I thought floorplanner.com was exactly that.
post #54 of 343 Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Does anyone have any free 3d modeling software they can recommend that's fairly user friendly? I have some additional ideas about the room layout and wanted to dry and create a graphical version of it if possible.

Thanks in advance!

I've used a lot of 3D modeling programs over the years, but most are expensive, and not free, one thing I've been playing around with is Google Sketchup, I have some training videos that will show you how to create walls, and anything you want, and even color for paint, etc, I will get a link to show you later...

Here are my RB-35's, with my Klipsch towers to the sides, and to the rear of the room, the RF7's are totally awesome, but many on here can use smaller speakers and position subs for better overall sound.
post #55 of 343 Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

Thanks. I'll check it out!
post #56 of 343 Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

I've used a lot of 3D modeling programs over the years, but most are expensive, and not free, one thing I've been playing around with is Google Sketchup, I have some training videos that will show you how to create walls, and anything you want, and even color for paint, etc, I will get a link to show you later...

Here are my RB-35's, with my Klipsch towers to the sides, and to the rear of the room, the RF7's are totally awesome, but many on here can use smaller speakers and position subs for better overall sound.

Thanks Chad. I messed with that awhile back but probably didn't give it enough time. Seemed like it had a fairly high learning curve.
post #57 of 343 Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

Floor planner showed a fee based on how many projects you want to design, which is silly, I was looking for a flat fee to just buy the software and I should be able to design as many projects as I wish, it looks great, but as the previous question was something not very expensive....

I use a couple of cad programs that are free, there are some that people are using that are close to free, that may show details with paint color choices, etc, another one I've used, is Softplan, I bought it many years ago,

they have a light version here:
post #58 of 343 Old 08-05-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I like the look of Softplan, but not being able to download a trial online is an epic FAIL for those guys.
post #59 of 343 Old 08-06-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still working on getting a 3D sketch created of the proposed idea, but I did manage to build a temporary stand for the projector in the basement. Until this afternoon, it had been resting on a pub table. I was fairly pleased for the $28 I spent to do it.

post #60 of 343 Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Setting up the projector before the new build is even fully under way?

If this wasn't your third build I would say you had gone crazy, but as this is your third build you obviously were already crazy!

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page