post #61 of 343 Old 08-07-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Setting up the projector before the new build is even fully under way?

If this wasn't your third build I would say you had gone crazy, but as this is your third build you obviously were already crazy!

Yep. Our goal is to actually minimize the downtime of the projector throughout this process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 343 Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Your makeshift Projector stand looks much better than my setup looked while I was in the build process. LOL

7.1 Dedicated Home Theater
Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV
Audio: Harman Kardon AVR 3600 with Sherbourn 72100A...

post #63 of 343 Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

Your makeshift Projector stand looks much better than my setup looked while I was in the build process. LOL

Funny. I actually had this same setup early on in 2.0
post #64 of 343 Old 08-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 152
A temporary makeshift setup is better than no setup at all.

7.1 Dedicated Home Theater
Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV
Audio: Harman Kardon AVR 3600 with Sherbourn 72100A...

post #65 of 343 Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Yea, I tried calling softplan, and did not reach anyone, I bought a version of their software like 5 years ago, wondered if they would give me a deal on a light version, but I doubt it.

I forgot to send you those links to the video of sketchup, it's fairly easy, I will forward that later, thanks.

Edit, here are the links to play with, these are for woodworking, but at least this gives some tutorial as to how to do:

Part 1

Part 2

Sketchup #25: Small House (Part 1 - Walls) Good one to follow

A real good tutorial using a previously home done in sketchup, then designing kitchen cabinets

If you need something like 2d layout, I can draw something up for you, and give you a file that you can import into sketchup, or Auto cad, or any cad program, import a DXF, DWG, or Iges file..
post #66 of 343 Old 08-09-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #67 of 343 Old 08-11-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So slightly off-topic, but I figured what the hell...

Our main family room was already prewired for in-ceiling speakers. However, the builder only wired for 5.1, minus the actual center channel. When I asked what the deal was with this, the response I got was "most buyers just use their TV or put a speaker under it for the center channel. Honestly, I would have rather had 3 cut-outs in the front of the room for the LCR channels.

Anyways, I think I'm going to order 4 of those Monoprice in-ceiling speakers, but I'm still left with the center channel dilema. Surely someone makes a thin, attractive center channel (similar in design to a soundbar) that I can place under my TV, right?
post #68 of 343 Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Anyways, I think I'm going to order 4 of those Monoprice in-ceiling speakers, but I'm still left with the center channel dilema. Surely someone makes a thin, attractive center channel (similar in design to a soundbar) that I can place under my TV, right?

Take a look at the Monitor Audio radius's (closeout & cheap), and the Radius-HD's. Particularly the R225's & R250's or R225HD's & R250HD's. Especially in Piano Gloss Black.

There are other ones out there, at a host of pricepoints. That is what I was going to use for a thin AT screen layout when I was planning a constrained room (as opposed to my vaporware planning that I currently do).
post #69 of 343 Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'll need to check the sizing on those, as I'll most likely need one that can sit right in front of the flat screen without blocking the picture. The alternative is to place some kind of shelf over the TV to hold it. I'll have to attach a picture of the area to make more sense.
post #70 of 343 Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I think they are like 4" x 4" x the length (maybe 30"). Not going to get much smaller. The 250's go a little deeper, but I am not sure that's a big deal with a sub. I had some 225's that I gave to my brother in law.

Colors are limitted, but some choices here:
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...s_closeout.htm

There is more on e-bay all the time. In fact there is a single in black up for auction right now (item #180709511431).
post #71 of 343 Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering 2 pair of the in-ceilings from Monoprice, as well as an additional 2 pair for my neighbor who was also pre-wired. I'll just put them all in at once. I took down the right front cover last night just to get a better idea of center possibilities. If I really wanted to I could fish a line down to the receiver and do an additional cutout in the ceiling for a center channel, but it would be VERY close to a can light that is over my fireplace. While this would probably work, I don't think it would look that balaced on the ceiling. The Klipsch speakerlight is a nice option, except that it's a standalone system, so I wouldn't be able to tie it in with the other speakers. Too bad someone else doesn't make something that would.

That being said, I'm thinking of getting something like what you recommended and most likely mounting it above the television. My AV experience tells me to try and get it centered more in the room, but I guess beggers can't be choosers. I just hate that the consensus among builders is that (and I quote) "most buyers end up using their TV for the center channel". At least give us the option!

Anyways........

We're getting pretty close on the theater design. I'll scan some photos of the ideas I have and get them online this weekend if I have time. To minimize changes and keep things in-line with the rest of the house, I think we're settling on a medium/dark brown color scheme. This will allow us to keep the enameled baseboards and white doors in the basement, while still darkening the area. The idea will be to mimic some of the more upscale modern Vegas bars and clubs (think Palazzo, Wynn, Aria, etc..or any W Hotel I've been in recently).

As I mentioned before, we'll most likely frame an arch between the support column for the bar and the exterior wall where the sliding doors are. This will still keep the area open, but will provide a bit of a break between the theater and game area. The screen wall is a little over 20 feet wide, so I want to build a stage across the front and then step is 2-3 feet from each corner with a column. Based on what I'm projecting on the wall now and what I had in my last room, something in the 120-130" (2.35 aspect) should fit the bill. I'm considering having the stage finished in a dark wood to match the cabinets in the rest of the house, perhaps with some uplighting built in from the floor to project up to the ceiling and screen. The columns will be a simple square design with something like a 12x12 base that reduces to an 8x8 column, perhaps trimmed out with some corner pieces. I can use the inside of the columns to route wiring down from the ceiling and across the stage as well.

I'm still leaning towards framing in the equipment rack in the corner between the bar/game room and bathroom. My ONLY concern with putting it here is eating up a corner that could otherwise be used for an arcade machine or seating. Worst case, I guess I could always station a machine next to it. I do like the central proximity to the theater, game area, and bar, not to mention access to my studio equipment if I needed to wire up to it (that's in the back bedroom).

We're unsure of the bar area right now, but I do know that it will include matching dark cabinets, a granite countertop, and a glass tile backsplash (again.. think Vegas!)

My wife had the idea of having some custom curtains or roman shades made for the triple windows in the game room. I'm pretty sure I want window covering to be motorized if we can swing it. Anyways, the idea for these curtains would be that when they are down, it would appear that you were 50 stories up when looking out them. I've seen this kind of effect done with murals and paintings, but I'm not sure how it would work on fabric. Obviously, I want it to look good, and one wrong move here would really make it cheesy.

Still up in the air on seating, but Palliser is the front runner right now. I like the modern look and clean lines for this design. Space permitting, we'll still do the raised back row with bar height seating, and keep 4 seats in the front row - 2 recliners on the end and 2 chaise style seats in the middle. I saw a picture of this in an HT magazine (stay tuned for image) and really liked it. If we can't mimic that, I'll most likely go with a loveseat configuration in the middle then.

Pics soon!!! (I promise).
post #72 of 343 Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My wife had the idea of having some custom curtains or roman shades made for the triple windows in the game room. I'm pretty sure I want window covering to be motorized if we can swing it. Anyways, the idea for these curtains would be that when they are down, it would appear that you were 50 stories up when looking out them. I've seen this kind of effect done with murals and paintings, but I'm not sure how it would work on fabric. Obviously, I want it to look good, and one wrong move here would really make it cheesy.

I would be really interested in how you could make this work with curtains. You might be able to pull it off with roman shades, but I can't see how roman shades would give you enough light control in your space. That is of course assuming that light control is the goal...

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #73 of 343 Old 08-26-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would be really interested in how you could make this work with curtains. You might be able to pull it off with roman shades, but I can't see how roman shades would give you enough light control in your space. That is of course assuming that light control is the goal...

Actually, it won't be the goal. This would strictly be for effect at night during parties, etc. We had some thick curtains over the sliding doors right now, which sit on the right wall of the theater area. Blocking this glass removes about 90% of the light from the area. The three windows are behind it, so they don't really affect the screen wall much. This is only a small issue during the day anyways, as it's super dark in there at night.

I'd love to make this work, but after several google searches and some feelers sent out to my friends that live in Vegas, we're not having much luck yet. I'm not giving up though!!
post #74 of 343 Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd love to make this work, but after several google searches and some feelers sent out to my friends that live in Vegas, we're not having much luck yet. I'm not giving up though!!

You need to search for 'trompe l'oeil': here is a company that sells some curtains like what you describe.

Another option might be to find a site that will print on canvas from a digital image, then have someone make curtains out of the canvas.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #75 of 343 Old 08-28-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to search for 'trompe l'oeil': here is a company that sells some curtains like what you describe.

Another option might be to find a site that will print on canvas from a digital image, then have someone make curtains out of the canvas.

Awesome!! Now I have a name to look for. This is exactly the idea that I'm thinking of.

Thanks again!
Jason
post #76 of 343 Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Liked: 10
mn_hokie, I finally got around to posting some pictures of our finished basement. It's titled "Finished Multi-Functional Basmement Thread". We have about the same square footage. Keep me in mind for future happy hours too. Thanks.
post #77 of 343 Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Also, the sectional you see in the photos of my thread is from Palliser. You mentioned getting some of their HT seats. Each seat in the sectional has a motorized recliner and is super comfortable. I don't think you could go wrong with Palliser.
post #78 of 343 Old 09-02-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool pics. Would love to see a floor plan just to get an idea of the flow. I'll be sure and let you know about the next get together as well.

Still looking at seats, but we found some that we absolutely LOVE from Fortress Seating. The downside is that they are $$$$$$. Hmmmm..

http://www.fortresseating.com/produc...php?prod_id=59

We like the middle picture on the first row - the brown leather with chaise options in the middle.
post #79 of 343 Old 09-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Wow, those seats look super comfortable. Great seating to sleep off and hibernate for the winters.
post #80 of 343 Old 09-08-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I finally got a quote back on the Fortress seating. I haven't confirmed yet, but I'm pretty sure the quote caused me to s**t my pants. Nearly 20K for the 4 seats??!?!?!?

More bad news.. It seems that Fortress is pretty much the only company that has a chaise option in the middle like we're looking for. That being said, I may have to end up settling for a simple loveseat configuration in the middle.
post #81 of 343 Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Ever thought of getting some custom made from a furniture company or make your own?

post #82 of 343 Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Ever thought of getting some custom made from a furniture company or make your own?

Not really. It could be an option though. If I end up going with a loveseat in the middle, there are a ton of options though, so I don't know if a custom job could beat the price at that point.
post #83 of 343 Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM

Hey, I haven't forgotten about your request for a copy of our basement floorplan. I have been traveling a fair amount and I don't have it electronically. I'll need to get back to my office one of these weeks / months and scan it. Again, you're looking for the finished floorplan with the options / features and layout? Or, are you simply looking for perimeter walls / foundation and square footage of the unfinished basement?

Oh, and $20K for 4 seats is out of control!
post #84 of 343 Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

Hey, I haven't forgotten about your request for a copy of our basement floorplan. I have been traveling a fair amount and I don't have it electronically. I'll need to get back to my office one of these weeks / months and scan it. Again, you're looking for the finished floorplan with the options / features and layout? Or, are you simply looking for perimeter walls / foundation and square footage of the unfinished basement?

Oh, and $20K for 4 seats is out of control!

No problem. Loved the pictures of your setup. I just wanted to see a floorplan to help navigate around in the pictures.
post #85 of 343 Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
With such a long delay in posting, I expect you have the room finished by now, and I think we would all like to see some of the finished pics. However if by chance you are not finished, I believe an update would suffice.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #86 of 343 Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, I can't believe it's already been over a month. Time definately gets away from you with the neverending list of projects that comes with a new house. I've been spending the last month or so basically gettting the garage cleaned up for the winter. Built a workbench and hung a bunch of shelving and track systems for tools, etc.

Anyways, I actually do have an update on the basement.

First, an updated floor plan:

Keep in mind that the lower level is currently fully finished from the builder. All of the dark walls are in place, along with the column at the corner of the bar, and a carpeted floor throughout. Rather than provide the full plan showing the dimensions of the back bedroom and bath, I chose to cut it off and focus on the area for the theater / game area. One thing to note - the panelboard is in the back bedroom.

Ok, so here's where we're at. The soffit around the perimeter of the bar is already there. It's essentially 13" square. I'm planning on building an additional soffit to run from the corner column back to the exterior wall, essentially anchoring the theater area in place a little better. The good news is that the projecter is under 12" in depth, so I do think it will fit nicely in the soffit, rather than hanging below it or in front of it. I'll come up with some elevations to show what I'm thinking about, but I'm currently debating on either keeping it as a flat soffit or adding some curves to the corners to create more of an arch effect when looking at the screen from the game area.

One other thing to note regarding the soffit. We'll need to build it out slightly at the exterior wall (as shown) to account for the 2 1/2 foot jog that the wall makes back there. I'll probably add a can light in that space since I think it will be a cool corner when done.

Moving on.... The stage will run the entire length of the front wall. I originally planned for a 36" stage, but have since moved that back to 30". Reason being, there is a cold air return on the wall at about 34", and I don't want to relocate it. This should still allow enough depth for my sub to fit on the stage.

I had a 128" 2:35 Carada in the last theater. Obviously, you have to go bigger each time, so I'm looking at a 135" this time around. I've decided to frame the space better by installing a column on each end approximately 36" in from the side walls. This allows some breathing room for the subs on the outside, and also frames the screen with a 12" reveal on both sides.

I'll also draw up an elevation of the screen wall. In the meantime, the plan is to build two wood columns that run from the stage up to the ceiling. The columns will have a base that's 12"-14" square. The upper part of the column will be reduced slightly to 10-12" square (I haven't played with the dimensions enough yet to settle on a final number). The columns will be wood, stained dark, and finished out with some type of picture frame or corner molding, as well as crown along the top. I'd like to design them a well to accomodate tower speakers, so the front will most likely have a fabric frame of some sort. I love my Klipsch RB-35 speakers, but I think the larger space calls for something with a little more kick, so I'm looking into the RF-35s or perhaps a newer design. The center channel will rest on a stand under the screen.

Surround placement is up for discussion at this point. Here are my initial thoughts - Side surrounds will be in ceiling and reside to the left and right area (in-line with the columns) of the bar. For rear surrounds, I have a couple of options; (A) mount them to the front side of the new soffit or (b) against the wall seperating the game room from the back bedroom. While option B would stretch the sound more into the gaming area, I think it might be too far back from the viewing location. Thoughts??

Additional framing will be required in the rear corner of the game area to build the rack. Pretty much just a single wall that I can then work from to install the rack. Since I won't have access from the rear (insert joke here), I'll most likely need some kind of sliding / rotating rack system (yea, I know.. $$$$) to allow access to cables.

The bar is still very early in the design phase, but I wanted to at least document the space with a countertop to show what we're going for. On that note, seating can probably move forward a foot or so to provide more traffic space between the bar and well, the other bar.

Seating!!! - I received a gazillion leather samples from Palliser and currently really like the Palliser Pepper seats http://www.palliser.com/furniture/Pr...=&category=HTS.

We'll most likely go with a row of 4, with a loveseat being in the middle. I'd love to do power recline on these puppies, but I can't for the life of me figure out an easy way to get electrical to them without running some kind of track along the floor. Aside from that, I'll need wiring for bass shakers, but those can easily go under the carpet.

The plan is to finish out the space with a granite topped bar as a second row. I think I'm going to hold off on the design though until the room gets closer to completion. This will allow me to determine exactly how long the bar needs to be.

Plans for the game room include a mix of pinball, MAME machine, poker table, etc. Not sure yet on the details.

And there you have it! Looking forward to the comments and feedback.
post #87 of 343 Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The stage will run the entire length of the front wall. I originally planned for a 36" stage, but have since moved that back to 30". Reason being, there is a cold air return on the wall at about 34", and I don't want to relocate it. This should still allow enough depth for my sub to fit on the stage.

A suggestion: you could get closer to your original plan by building a curved stage. With a shallow curve you could have it project into the room 36" along most the center area in front of the screen but still project less than 30" at the sides so it would not interfere with your cold air return.

Also, just throwing this against the wall to see if it will stick: Since you are planning to run cables for bass shakers to the seats, would you consider building sub-woofers into the counter behind the seats?

Chris

--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #88 of 343 Old 10-21-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good call on the curved stage. I may consider that. the 36" was just an arbitrary number that I threw out there when looking at the room. Still now sure yet.

As far as the subs, I'll probably keep them up on the stage. Getting power out to them at the bar would be problematic too.

As far as main channels, the framer today did ask me if I had considered in-walls for the columns, rather than trying to shove towers in there. That's actually something I hadn't thought of, so I need to do a little more research on what constitutes a killer in-wall. That would work for the L-R but not the center channel.
post #89 of 343 Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick question on rack systems. Since I don"t have access to the rear of the rack, I'll need to either have shelves that slide fully out to allow access to the back of the equipment, or some type of swivel type rack that would allow back access to everything at once. Soes anyone have any exeperience dealing with either of these?
post #90 of 343 Old 10-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Looking like a ton of decisions were made in the last month. More time is spent in research and prep than actual construction. But, then again, that's some of the fun stuff Hey, HOM Furniture also sells Palliser. Although I would not buy the seating from them, they have all the leather samples / colors / textures / etc. on hand. That's what we did and then ordered the couch from an online vendor.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page