Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Alas! I am finally starting a new build thread. I guess it's finally time to close out the thread for theater 2.0. It was bittersweet, but I'm looking forward to the challenges of a new space. For those that missed the previous build thread, here's a quick link to it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=991965

* insert moment of silence here *

And now.. on to (wait for it... wait for it) Theater 3.0!

When planning this build, I had 3 major things in mind over version 2.0.

1. Make it bigger!
2. Make it stronger!
3. Make it faster!

There are going to be two main challenges with this room. First, it's my first attempt at doing an open concept theater. All previous builds have been isolated rooms, but this one is more of your standard open basement / bar / game room - should be fun!

The other challenge is due to the fact that the basement is already finished. The builder had a promotion going when we moved in where they were including finished lower levels, so I guess I can't complain. The costs associated with fishing cables, etc will be minimal compared to finishing the space.

So, before I start to bore people, here's the plan that we're staring with:

With a full or even lookout basement, I think the best option would have been to have the screen on the wall where the sliding doors currently are. Obviously, this won't work with doors here, so the current plan is to mount the screen on the wall where a fireplace is currently shown. (the fireplace was an option that was included on the plan, but isn't actually in our basement).

We have plans to add a bar in the lower right corner, and the area directly across from the screen wall will most likely be some kind of gameroom / hangout area.

My thoughts for the seating are leaning towards a curved row of theater seats up front and a raised bar for the 2nd row. I won't know for certain how that will look until I start laying things out, so we may be able to squeeze in 2 rows of seats. The main obstacle there is the column in the corner of the bar area.

The area behind the theater will most likely have a pub table, pinball machine, and MAME machine or air hockey table (TBD).

As far as equipment - I brought most of it along with me during the move

1. Panasonic AE3000 projector
2. Onkyo 806 Receiver
3. Xbox
4. PS3
5. Monster HTS2600 Power Conditioner
6. Rack shelves and all custom face plates.

What got left behind for the new buyer(s)?

1. Carada 128" 2.35 Screen
2. 2 rows of 3 Showtime theater seats

Soooo.. I'm ready to start bouncing some ideas around. For you local guys out there (and you know who you are), who's up for another get together at Buffalo Wild Wings in Plymouth next week?

Looking forward to the comments.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

For you local guys out there (and you know who you are), who's up for another get together at Buffalo Wild Wings in Plymouth next week?

I'm up for it. I haven't met anyone yet.

-Dave

[in storage]

[dismantled]
post #3 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykz34 View Post

Cool. Shoot me a PM with what days work for you next week. I'll start pulling stuff together once I have a few messages from guys.

Jason

post #4 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 AM

Liked: 10
Figures I am out all week in LA next week....

I am always in for a bdub run

Robert
post #5 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

Figures I am out all week in LA next week....

I am always in for a bdub run

Robert

I'm hoping this will be the first of many, so no worries. Oh, and I'm always willing to have something at my place as well.

Jason

post #6 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

You can count me in for a BW3's meetup.
post #7 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

I am out on 12, 13th but any other day will work for me.
I hope we can have the get together on a day other than 12th and 13th.
I have to get my false wall built in 2 weeks. I have never given built a false wall before and my carpenter hasn't done this before so I feel that "blind is leading the blind".
If we meet I will bring a my current design and get your input.

Looking forward to seeing a home theater in an open layout. I have had to deal with a similar layout.

post #8 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I envy you that much room real estate - our room is only 17 X 24.

I would probably consider putting the PJ and screen throwing across the 18ft length of the 15X18 area. I'd put a wall up and shelf mount the projector (pretty easy with the lens shift feature of your projector) with the screen over the opposite wall's windows.

I'd put a bar along the wall under the projector and use big bar chairs for some or all of the theater area seating. IMO - large, fixed theater style seating is a space hog and other, comfy and more open area flexible seating is available.

This would keep the open "feel" and a lot more room for games in the 16 X 20 area. Air Hockey table is like a pool table. Requires/hogs a HUGE amount of space while only a few can play at one time (though air hockey takes less space than pool table). Instead of a MAME cabinet with a lot of old games on the HDD consider a newer merit bar top video machine like the Aurora.

It's all about what you like - we found that pinball, coin op darts and foosball best combination for us, our family and friends and you can get a lot more of them in the same space required for pool table or even air hockey.

Regardless, our personal experience is that you and your family/friends will have a LOT more fun hanging out and partying in a multi-purpose room with a theater component that a single purpose, dedicated theater room. Yours will be the house of choice for a good time!
post #9 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay View Post

I envy you that much room real estate - our room is only 17 X 24.

I would probably consider putting the PJ and screen throwing across the 18ft length of the 15X18 area. I'd put a wall up and shelf mount the projector (pretty easy with the lens shift feature of your projector) with the screen over the opposite wall's windows.

I'd put a bar along the wall under the projector and use big bar chairs for some or all of the theater area seating. IMO - large, fixed theater style seating is a space hog and other, comfy and more open area flexible seating is available.

This would keep the open "feel" and a lot more room for games in the 16 X 20 area. Air Hockey table is like a pool table. Requires/hogs a HUGE amount of space while only a few can play at one time (though air hockey takes less space than pool table). Instead of a MAME cabinet with a lot of old games on the HDD consider a newer merit bar top video machine like the Aurora.

It's all about what you like - we found that pinball, coin op darts and foosball best combination for us, our family and friends and you can get a lot more of them in the same space required for pool table or even air hockey.

Regardless, our personal experience is that you and your family/friends will have a LOT more fun hanging out and partying in a multi-purpose room with a theater component that a single purpose, dedicated theater room. Yours will be the house of choice for a good time!

Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to see some pictures of your setup. Not sure how I feel about the 15x18 area though. Adding a wall would really segment the area in my opinion.

As far as the gaming options, yea, I had the same initial thoughts on the air hockey table. I do like the MAME idea since it is upright and can sit in a corner. I think that space will end up making sense once the theater component is in place though.

Jason

post #10 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme View Post

I am out on 12, 13th but any other day will work for me.
I hope we can have the get together on a day other than 12th and 13th.
I have to get my false wall built in 2 weeks. I have never given built a false wall before and my carpenter hasn't done this before so I feel that "blind is leading the blind".
If we meet I will bring a my current design and get your input.

Looking forward to seeing a home theater in an open layout. I have had to deal with a similar layout.

I'm open to just about any day that week, so whatever works best for everyone is fine with me. If you guys could PM me your email address I can send out a distribution and we can start figuring something out.

Jason

post #11 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykz34 View Post

When stereophile ( think it was them?)shut down their forum back in 94-ish, there was a group of 100 or so that created our own board, it has since dwindled, but I've met a half dozen or so and still see and call them as friends.

I've even bought a pop up trailer from a member here (which is a funny story itself).

Always cool to put names to faces, also less likely to flame if you know where they live!!!,

Robert
post #12 of 350 Old 07-07-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

When stereophile ( think it was them?)shut down their forum back in 94-ish, there was a group of 100 or so that created our own board, it has since dwindled, but I've met a half dozen or so and still see and call them as friends.

I've even bought a pop up trailer from a member here (which is a funny story itself).

Always cool to put names to faces, also less likely to flame if you know where they live!!!,

Robert

Or vice-versa

Jason

post #13 of 350 Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone have a recommendation on some decent but cheap in-ceiling speakers? I need to put a few in the family room where the builder pre-wired. I was looking at the Polk RC80i's.

Jason

post #14 of 350 Old 07-08-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Anyone have a recommendation on some decent but cheap in-ceiling speakers? I need to put a few in the family room where the builder pre-wired. I was looking at the Polk RC80i's.

I know it might be crazy talk, but you may want to consider monoprice speakers..
post #15 of 350 Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually not crazy at all. I love Monoprice. Looks like they even got better reviews than the Polks

On an aside, I'm thinking next Thursday for beer and wings??

Jason

post #16 of 350 Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Subscribed! Nice to see local avs'ers doing some builds!

I'm almost complete with something similar to what you were considering with an all-in-one basement / entertainment / bar / theater room.

As you already know of how much information is here, in the end, you have to just go with your gut instincts and do what you want to do, I had several people, ( one in particular ) try to convince me of what they wanted to see, rather than just accept this as an all-in-one room, you can take what valuable info here like sound deadening, and good info that's here, and apply it to your idea, I had many tell me that you will not like this, like that, and so on, and even the force of telling people here, your better off with a dedicated room, etc, etc.... You can see that even in my basement thread......I'm in New Hope, if you ever need a hand, give me a shout, always available to lend a hand.
post #17 of 350 Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Subscribed! Nice to see local avs'ers doing some builds!

I'm almost complete with something similar to what you were considering with an all-in-one basement / entertainment / bar / theater room.

Chad,

Thanks for the reply. A couple of things - (1) I'd love to check out your build, especially if it's something similar. Since this will be my first attempt at an open design, I'm certainly open for feedback.

(2) Are you available by chance for a meetup for some drinks on Thursday?

Jason

post #18 of 350 Old 07-10-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Thursday sounds good to me, shoot me a PM, and we can work out a time.
post #19 of 350 Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok guys - It looks like we'll be doing 5:30 on Thursday at BWW in Plymouth. I'll shoot a PM to those that said they were interested as well.

Jason

post #20 of 350 Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I will be there!
post #21 of 350 Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

I will be there!

Sounds good Chad. We'll be sitting by the stone fireplace with the TV over it!

Jason

post #22 of 350 Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Theater 3.0 Insane!! I have seen a ton of 2.0 (and I am one)threads but dont recall any 3.0 yet. Good luck and congrats.

On a side note you mentioned you left behind 2 rows of Showtime seats. What style (name)were they and what was your opinion of them? Cost-comfort-durability? I am considering them as well though not sure what style yet.

Thanks

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #23 of 350 Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think Showtime was actually the model of the Coaster brand seats. I loved them and hated leaving them behind. I'm a big fan of the Berkline seats like most here, but I'd easily get the Showtimes again. In fact, we'll probably get the same ones for the new place. They held up great to the family (including 2 children) and never broke, tore, or sagged. A very easy recommendation.

Jason

post #24 of 350 Old 07-14-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So we had a little progress as early as 7:30 this morning. I had an electrician come out to get a quote for running some more power to the theater area. As I mentioned before, one of the challenges with this build is going to be working inside of an already finished basement.

That being said, I know that I wanted to have a 20 amp circuit for the theater equipment, as well as one for the future wet bar. The electrician actually recommended 2 for the wet bar alone, so we're most likely looking at pulling 3 new circuits from the box.

Here's the current plan for review.

For reasons unknown to me, the panel board was installed on the far right wall in the back bedroom, just outside of the closet. Obviously, this creates quite a challenge when pulling wires, so I'll be curious to see what the estimate comes in at.

As far as outlets - we've determined that the screen wall will be on the left side, as shown in the above plan. The projector will be ceiling mounted roughly in the middle of the space. I had a 128" 2.35 image in my last theater and liked the size. This room can easily accomodate that, and the distance shown is fairly close to where we'd need to be with the projector. I'll have an outlet installed there for power, and will address AV wiring to the projector as we get going here.

Where to put the equipment rack?????? After some walking around and sleep, I think I have a few options. I've labelled them A,B,C, and D on the floor plan.

Option A would be to remove the door leading to the storage area under the closet and building the rack within the door frame. Here's a look at the space first with the door closed :

And with the door open:

Pros to this approach - Space is already roughed in and equipment would be easily accesible from multiple locations (theater, game room, bar).
The door could also be reclaimed when we build out the wine cellar.

Cons to this approach - Finished space behind the rack would be wasted. There's a fair amount of space in the closet, which goes completely under the stairs, turns, and then continues around the landing. To use this option would be to lose future storage space. This would also require a pull out rack to get access to the rear of the equipement, which would be more spendy than a fixed rack.

Option B would be to cut an opening in the wall to the right of the door. The rack would then be mounted flush into the left wall of the theater.

Pros to this approach - Rack would be easily accesible from the theater. This would also allow for a fixed rack, which would not only save money, but will still allow access to the storage space from the closet door.

Cons to this approach - Due to the angle of the stairwell, the rack could not be full height. also, this would require some framing adjustments to move the opening between the studs from 16" to 19".

While we're on option A & B, I wanted to post a picture of the backside of the stairwell from the mechanical room. This is the only area where an access door could be added to allow entry into the area if option A was used.

As you can see, it's pretty tight.

On to the last two......

Option C would involve flush mounting a fixed rack in the unfinished mechanical room. The door you see in the below picture is located on the right at the bottom of the stairs.

And the backside of this space from the mechanical room :

Pros to this approach - Again, the rack would be fixed, so a $$$ savings. Also, the wires would be easily accesible from the mechanical room. Finally, the backside of the wall is unfinished, so demo would be minimal and framing adjustments could be made rather quickly. The rack would still be accesible from most areas of the basement as well.

Cons to this approach - Do I really want this to be right at the bottom of the stairs? Also, this location would put the equipment at the closest proximity to the HVAC system, so I'm not sure if that matters or not. Just a thought.

Finally (and yes, I know this post is longer than one of the Lord of The Rings movies, but I'm almost done!!!!!), Option D - placing the equipment in the unfinished space completely out of sight. The equipment could be on a rack, or on pretty much any AV stand out there right now.

Pros to this approach - Who are we kidding? This is easy as hell. Plug in the equipment and leave the room. This would also be the closest location to the future bar, which would most likely make wiring a little easier.

Cons to this approach - Do I lose my man card for hiding all of the bright and shiny power hogs? I mean, don't you want to SEE this stuff dude???? Oh! Sorry, but we'll have to stock less wine back there since we appear to have a couple of vintage pours back there masked by the names of "Onkyo" and "Monster" (yea. i said Monster.. don't judge me!).

And that my friends, is where we begin this journey.. Let the feedback begin!

Jason

post #25 of 350 Old 07-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

My vote is for Option B but I would include shelving for you DVD/Blu-Ray collection right along side.

post #26 of 350 Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdahlberg View Post

My vote is for Option B but I would include shelving for you DVD/Blu-Ray collection right along side.

The only problem with that is the wall itself. There are a couple of registers for the HVAC return along the bottom of that wall as you head to the corner. Also, the workable area is only maybe 6 feet (maybe less) before you hit the stairwell going up to the main floor.

Jason

post #27 of 350 Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The only problem with that is the wall itself. There are a couple of registers for the HVAC return along the bottom of that wall as you head to the corner. Also, the workable area is only maybe 6 feet (maybe less) before you hit the stairwell going up to the main floor.

The only thing I hear is excuses, who needs HVAC anyways?
post #28 of 350 Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdahlberg View Post

The only thing I hear is excuses, who needs HVAC anyways?

After the week of upper 90 temps, I'm planning on keeping it

Jason

post #29 of 350 Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
How about an option E. Build a new closet in the interior corer of the Game Room just to the left of the bathroom wall.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #30 of 350 Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

How about an option E. Build a new closet in the interior corer of the Game Room just to the left of the bathroom wall.

Just went downstairs and took a look at the room again. I actually like this idea. I'll post a photograph of the area later on for discussion. We'd probably sacrifice a little bit of seating by losing the corner, but I do like that it's easily accesible to the bar and game area as well.

Jason

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page