Wall Bed TV Mount - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,
I have a murphy bed (wall bed) that I would like to mount a 46 inch Samsung UN46D8000 on. Space is extremely limited, to the tune of 250 square feet (that is my entire home). The bed is the only place that this would fit and still have a nice viewing angle from the couch. I know I have seen installations for television on peoples ceilings, so I know it is possible. I like the 46 inch Samsung 8000 for many reasons but its depth is one of the biggest draws in my case. I had already purchased a 6000 series and was ready to mount it but the panel lighting was so terrible that I returned it with the intention of getting the 8k. This prompted the question on this forum, because the price of the television is making me think twice.

The bed is ALWAYS kept in the upright position during the day, but at night I fold it down. There is plenty of clearance underneath the bed for the television (the legs are around 6 inches themselves) but I am worried about the effects it could have on the led panel. Essentially the TV would be spending 1/3rd of its life face down. Is this a bad idea? Should I be looking into a cheaper television for this installation? I could potentially build a "box" around the TV to help with support, since the TV mount itself may not provide enough support. Also, I have read that mounting your television panel down can have overheating issues. This will not be a problem for me because when the bed is down, the TV will be turned off. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS in advance
-Bradley

Thanks,
Bradley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

I certainly wouldn't do it with my TV and I would suggest you find an alternate method/location
post #3 of 28 Old 07-12-2011, 05:17 PM

Well the first thing that comes to my mind is how are you going to power the tv? Are you going to add an outlet under your bed? That just doesn't seem too safe to me. But if you are very dedicated to this idea I suppose if you do it right chances are there won't be any problems.

Posting some pictures of the construction of the bed/wall it might be easier to get some advice.

Why not just hang it from the ceiling on a ceiling mount? Right in the middle of the room so you can rotate it to have a good view from where ever you sit. You can find ones that telescope up and down as well so you can put it up when not in use.
post #4 of 28 Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
post #5 of 28 Old 07-15-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your responses. I am currently staining the surrounding cabinets so a picture will be forthcoming. I do like the idea of the telescoping mount, but in doing that I will loose a couple of inches in depth, but I will also lose the ability to open the cabinets that are above the bed. This will be easily seen in the pictures.
As for the power, I will be cutting a hole in the bed and snaking the cable through. I don't foresee any potential fire hazards because there will be no plugs in places that are not easily accessible.
Like I said, I should have pictures by the end of the weekend so I will post those, and hopefully be purchasing the TV sometime early next week.

Thanks all for your input and I would love to hear more.
post #6 of 28 Old 07-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_cotton View Post

Thanks to all for your responses. I am currently staining the surrounding cabinets so a picture will be forthcoming. I do like the idea of the telescoping mount, but in doing that I will loose a couple of inches in depth, but I will also lose the ability to open the cabinets that are above the bed. This will be easily seen in the pictures.
As for the power, I will be cutting a hole in the bed and snaking the cable through. I don't foresee any potential fire hazards because there will be no plugs in places that are not easily accessible.
Like I said, I should have pictures by the end of the weekend so I will post those, and hopefully be purchasing the TV sometime early next week.

Thanks all for your input and I would love to hear more.

I'd say go for it. It's a thinner tv right? Even if it was 3" or so, a sturdy mount is all you need. Power to the Murphy bed is easy, I'd do it ......

Robert
post #7 of 28 Old 07-17-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Alright here are two pictures showing the flat face that it will be on and then how the bed actually folds down. As you can see the hinged handles act as the legs and are very sturdy. My bed has never shown any indication of being anything less than structurally sound. They are 7 inches high, so I wont be having any issues with the 1.2 inch thick un46d8000. Also, I will be cutting through the wood for the cables, so no issue there.
Again, my main issue here isn't if you think I am high or not (really this is not all that crazy, I live in a small place that's the crazy part), I am just looking to see if you this this will hurt the TV. I have always purchased cheaper televisions and would like to spend some money on something a bit nicer. I could just as easily mount a cheapo TV that I am not as worried about, but I would really like the 8000 series. Again any information is helpful. Thank you in advance and thanks to the people that have taken time to reply!

-Bradley
LL
LL
post #8 of 28 Old 07-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think anyone thinks you're crazy I just think it's a bad idea in general. The mounting holes on those TV's probably aren't meant to hold the TV and absorb the shock of being put up and down like that all of the time. Honestly, I would hate your TV come crashing down or get stressed to the point it quits working.
post #9 of 28 Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Well, there are plenty of swing-down ceiling mounts that I assume use the standard mounting holes on the display, so I don't think that will be an issue... (I'm not crazy about it either, but as long as he's careful about lowering the bed so he doesn't jar the unit, it'll probably be fine)

But more importantly, since routing power and mounting the bracket will require "damage" to the murphy bed - do you own that bed/unit or is this part of the furnishings (assuming you rent)??? I don't think you want to put screws and cut holes into a piece of furniture unless you own it...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #10 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I do own the condo and have built the entire unit with the help of my dad. I am careful with my things and if I had a 2k dollar television hanging off of my bed I would be extra careful. I watched the teardown of the Samsung 8000 on Tekzilla this past week and it seems like a very sturdy construction.
Keep the advice coming! I am days away from purchasing!

On a side note I was looking at the un46 - C - 8000 the other day at the local Best Buy. Is this model stronger? It has plenty of positive reviews on amazon and the like, and I am sure there are people who have tested it since it is a year old, but I would consider this model as well if it was known to be stronger due to the larger bezel.

Thanks
Bradley
post #11 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Well, there are plenty of swing-down ceiling mounts that I assume use the standard mounting holes on the display, so I don't think that will be an issue... (I'm not crazy about it either, but as long as he's careful about lowering the bed so he doesn't jar the unit, it'll probably be fine)

But more importantly, since routing power and mounting the bracket will require "damage" to the murphy bed - do you own that bed/unit or is this part of the furnishings (assuming you rent)??? I don't think you want to put screws and cut holes into a piece of furniture unless you own it...

Jeff

The only swing down mounts I've seen operated as illustrated below (on the left). Don't hate me because I'm an awesome artist, it's a natural talent I have no control over.

Ultimately, if you feel comfortable mounting it that way then go for it and let us all know how it works out.

post #12 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the input, I do own the condo and have built the entire unit with the help of my dad. I am careful with my things and if I had a 2k dollar television hanging off of my bed I would be extra careful. I watched the teardown of the Samsung 8000 on Tekzilla this past week and it seems like a very sturdy construction.
Keep the advice coming! I am days away from purchasing!

On a side note I was looking at the un46 - C - 8000 the other day at the local Best Buy. Is this model stronger? It has plenty of positive reviews on amazon and the like, and I am sure there are people who have tested it since it is a year old, but I would consider this model as well if it was known to be stronger due to the larger bezel.

Thanks
Bradley

I'm surprised no one else brought this up, but what about when you have a "friend" over who wants to join you in bed and the bed starts shaking, I'd have to imagine eventually it would slowly work those bolts out between bed time movement and fun time movement.
post #13 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdahlberg View Post

The only swing down mounts I've seen operated as illustrated below (on the left). Don't hate me because I'm an awesome artist, it's a natural talent I have no control over.

I like the added lightning bolts...

Good point, he will be acting against the bolts, which the swing-down wouldn't. I still wouldn't worry about the bolts. I'd still be concerned about shock/vibration to the display, though...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #14 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 10:23 AM

I can't see that the constant up and down of the bed can be good for the tv.

I have a murphey bed as well, and there have been a couple times that it did drop a couple inches...i'm glad that there wasn't a tv mounted to it thats for sure.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Also, I usually watch TV when I go to sleep, do you have a smaller screen that you use for that?
post #16 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

If the vibration is the biggest deterrent I would attempt to use some sort of rubber washers. My murphy bed is very nice in that it will not fold down if the legs are not down (there is a door catch to open it). Also, the bed is counter weighted, so once I pull it down I could let go and it would lower itself at a slow pace. Sumavguy has a good point though... I could make better use of my couch.
And to answer your question I do not watch TV in bed. I wasn't planning on adding this because it is irrelevant to the Samsung TV mounting issue, but I do have a 110' projector screen that doubles as my shade.... I could always watch on that =)
post #17 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the vibration is the biggest deterrent I would attempt to use some sort of rubber washers. My murphy bed is very nice in that it will not fold down if the legs are not down (there is a door catch to open it). Also, the bed is counter weighted, so once I pull it down I could let go and it would lower itself at a slow pace. Sumavguy has a good point though... I could make better use of my couch.
And to answer your question I do not watch TV in bed. I wasn't planning on adding this because it is irrelevant to the Samsung TV mounting issue, but I do have a 110' projector screen that doubles as my shade.... I could always watch on that =)

If I were you, and you can watch it during the day, I'd save the money from the TV and put it to bulbs/new projector/light control.
post #18 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think someone has given you the answer to your problem in this thread already. Why not just mount it with a swing down mount to your ceiling? Less potential for damage, with the same basic placement. Either that or do what sumavguy said. Good luck
post #19 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can you use toggle bolts to hold the mount tight against the bed? I've never seen a murphy bed in person, is there enough room to build a small support so you wouldn't feel the bolts through the matress?

I too don't think it's a good idea. However, I am intrigued to see how it works out.

I'm confused too.

post #20 of 28 Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Hello All,

Thought you might be interested in the finished product. Due to the way the bed was built, I was able to fit a 60mm bolt through the bed, and go straight into the TV. I used a nut and washer on the interior of the bed (under the mattress) and on the outside I had a rubber washer to protect the bed finish, then another washer, then another thicker rubber washer to protect the TV. This setup allowed me to tighten the bolts into the TV, and then tighten the nut under the bed, allowing a snug fit. It looks great, has made the bed a little bit heavier, but so far so good.
Does anyone think a metal bracket would be a better idea in this scenario? I'm thinking the flex of the wood under load may harm the threads on the TV over time and a metal mount may reduce that wear. Any feedback is welcome and thanks for all of the input thus far!

-Bradley
LL
post #21 of 28 Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 AM

I think it looks GREAT! And as long as you get it mounted secure, it should work okay. It certainly won't make the TV last any longer than normal but that's hardly the point of this thread

But then again, I'm the type of guy who puts TV's above fireplaces . . .

Let us know how this ends up working after some time. Both functionality and sturdiness/mounting perspectives.
post #22 of 28 Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 PM

Bravo! Maybe build a square frame out of 2x4s and put that on the other side of the bed. Under the mattress to reduce strain.
post #23 of 28 Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM

i like yer bed an tv. I am building a cabin and had the same idea. and in my searching found they make murphybeds with tv's wher u put yours. I have nevr worried about mounting. i worry about types of tv's and if they are ok facing down. some tv s i have researched want the tv to be upright when transported. is this affecting ur tv at all. and is there maybe brands to stay away from. I use my tv 4 gaming (and i prefer at sitting lvl view)so above my fireplace is out of the question, besides i inset my fishtank above my fireplace and framed it like a fine painting.
post #24 of 28 Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by David E Cooke View Post

some tv s i have researched want the tv to be upright when transported.
The reason you want to keep your TV vertical while transporting is to reduce the risk of breaking the glass. The screen is much more rigid and less likely to break along the edge vs. the face of the screen. Once you've got it in it's final place, it can be oriented any way you'd like. I once had a blue shirt tell me that I couldn't mount a plasma on the ceiling because the gas would leak out. LOL.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #25 of 28 Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 AM

Seeking to revive this thread for an update.... Brad, how's it going a year later? Anyone else have experience with this setup? We're looking to do the same thing in a guest bedroom that doubles as teen hangout room. The bed would only get used a couple of times a year when we have guests.
post #26 of 28 Old 04-26-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hello All,
So the Samsung lasted on the bed for around half a year. It worked fine and there were no issues whatsoever, the only problem was the bed was heavier to lift up and down. I eventually decided to move the television to the cabinets above the bed on a sliding door. This allowed the space behind the television to be utilized, and not add extra weight to the bed. I did this using sliding closet door track, and the cabinets hang like a door would. So far this has worked great, and the TV slides nice and smooth. It makes me less worried about it and I think it will help increase the life of the TV.
To anyone considering a similar modification, my advice is to go for it. It looked great and the weight issue could be compensated for if building the bed from scratch (anchor points for the bed need to be adjusted for extra weight). I am glad I tried it, and would have built the bed differently if I had thought of it back then. Oh well. I appreciate the interest in the thread!
post #27 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I'm glad for the update. I thought it was an interesting concept, but I like things like this cool.gif
post #28 of 28 Old 04-07-2014, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm reviving this thread again because I wanted to let you all know that I'm doing the same thing with my Murphy (Wall) Bed once it's delivered. I am having a sofit leg installed (without the lights as shown in the picture) to add extra support to the bed when it's down.

Val Lorien
Blu-ray: Anyone else surprised that Sony finally won a format war?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page