Finished Multi-Functional Basement Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 80 Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long time viewer (almost) first time poster. I have enjoyed reading many of the HT construction threads over the past couple of years. My wife believes I have a problem; of course, I don't need to tell any of you that Now, it's my turn to post some of our finished work. The basement project commenced back in January, 2009 and was complete in April, 2011. The project took me more than 2 years start-to-finish which includes design.

Although I am glad it's finally over -- like many of you -- I do enjoy home construction projects. Next project in the basement will be adding a 120" acoustically transparent drop-down in-ceiling screen with 3D projector over the winter. We live in Minnesota so having a dedicated entertainment space is great during the long winters.

Some of the A/V components included in this build are as follows: Onkyo 3008 AVR, Oppo 93 3D Blu-Ray, 64" Samsung TV (PN64D7000), 55" Samsung LED, (2) Niles 6-Spkr Selectors, (2) Polk LC265i's, (1) Polk LCi-C, (6) Polk LC80i's, (4) Polk LC65i's, (4) Polk Atrium7's for deck & patio, and (1) SVS PB13-Ultra.

I'll get some better photos of the bar this evening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Wow, absolutely spectacular. The fit and finish is really impressive.

Just go ahead and send me a PM with your address. I now know where I'll spend December - March this year.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #3 of 80 Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ha, thanks for the compliments. Like I said, it was a long 2+ years of weekends with some help along the way. In the end, it was worth it both in time and money -- we enjoy our new space almost daily. Besides, watching movies has become a weekly family activity.

We need to get the MN folks together for another happy hour.
post #4 of 80 Old 09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Fabulous! Was this a DIY project? If so, double fabulous!

Very clever and fun use of the space under the stairs for the kid cubby secret play area!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #5 of 80 Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, this was a 99% DIY project. I started with literally hundreds of online photos and pieced together a design that made sense for us. We did alter our original designs a couple of times, which is only natural since the project took me more than 2 years to complete. I did have some help with HVAC and electrical.

Yes, thanks for the compliments. Our kids absolutely love their space under the stairs. I made it to feel like they are entering their own home with a place to hang their sweatshirts / jackets and kick off their slippers. There's a drainage pipe under that box so I had to build something there anyways.
post #6 of 80 Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 AM

Really beautiful! Nice work!
post #7 of 80 Old 09-02-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! It will be nice to sit at the bar this winter and watch some football although our Vikings will be lucky to be 8-8.
post #8 of 80 Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Um.. so what do you do with the rest of the house? That basement is bigger than my entire house, and WAY nicer! Really great work, and hopefully you live atop a hill so you never get flooded!
post #9 of 80 Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
post #10 of 80 Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, in fact, we do live at the highest point in our area I installed a sump pump with battery backup just in case.

I do have a floor plan. I will send you it this evening. I don't have it with me.
post #11 of 80 Old 09-02-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some more pictures of the bar and bar mascot

Watching the MN Twins get beat again.

post #12 of 80 Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Here some close up shots of the cherry wainscot. I wanted to do something different with the bar and routed the inside stiles so the glass tile would be flush. It's the same tile we used on the backsplash.

post #13 of 80 Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Here's the last picture for now. Here's a photo of the speaker madness in the basement.

post #14 of 80 Old 09-02-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Another Minnesotan! I am in Maple Grove, and am in the middle of my build. I have to say your space turned out amazing. Excellent fit and finish and attention to detail. You really nailed it (no pun intended). Too bad you can't watch the Twins in the playoffs this year, but there is always next year.

Enjoy!
post #15 of 80 Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. We are right on the border of Woodbury and Cottage Grove. I'll have to look up your build thread. It's fun to see everyone's space before / during / after construction.
post #16 of 80 Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 PM

Love the poker table - NICE WORK!!! Sucks about the race track. Must have been a gut-wrenching feeling when you found that in the morning!!

Will be returning as I want to look over the rest of the build. Spent most of the time looking at the table build - I too wondered about the reverse miter as I've done those before but also reverse-mitered the adjacent board where you have it cut square so it would be flush.

However, now that I see the pad you put on it makes perfect sense!!

Good job!!
post #17 of 80 Old 09-06-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Pictures of the dartboard. This dartboard taunts you as you play; in fact, you might walk away wanting to throw yourself off a bridge after playing a game

post #18 of 80 Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Now that's a basement! Thanks for sharing. Do you have any 'before' pics?
post #19 of 80 Old 09-09-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I have some photos pre-construction and during construction. I wish I had taken more during the build process, especially after changing the design in a couple of places and tearing down sheetrock after mud / tape and paint. Man, the look on my wife's face was priceless.

But, in the end, even she admits that it was the right thing to do to alter the design in those areas. It's hard to "think" of all the possibilities / features / functions from the beginning.
post #20 of 80 Old 09-10-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this is gone off topic. Do you surf other people's build / finished threads and make similar comments? You realize you are NOT helping anyone on this board with those comments. If you have an axe to grind, I suggest you find some other forums to spew your political / class warfare / socioeconomic propaganda. And, besides, you NOTHING about me!

This board is a great resource for many to get ideas / suggestions / to be inspired. Many folks on this board have home theaters many times over what you see here. So, yes, I consider my home theater to be "modest". These photos were originally posted as a direct request from a few other members to help with ideas of their own. Do yourself a favor and worry less about others and more about yourself.
post #21 of 80 Old 09-10-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael7272 View Post

+1000000000

If I am a Patriots fan does that mean I don't get an invite?

Great job boss!!

Hey, I won't hold the Patriots thing against you The Gillette Stadium in Foxborough is an awesome complex. Good luck this season. Patriots should make the superbowl this year!
post #22 of 80 Old 09-10-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

Wow, this is gone off topic. Do you surf other people's build / finished threads and make similar comments? You realize you are NOT helping anyone on this board with those comments. If you have an axe to grind, I suggest you find some other forums to spew your political / class warfare / socioeconomic propaganda. And, besides, you NOTHING about me!

This board is a great resource for many to get ideas / suggestions / to be inspired. Many folks on this board have home theaters many times over what you see here. So, yes, I consider my home theater to be "modest". These photos were originally posted as a direct request from a few other members to help with ideas of their own. Do yourself a favor and worry less about others and more about yourself.

Don't sweat people like this. They feel there are entitled to things without rolling up their sleeves and doing the work.

I have to say you have some excellent DIY skills. Everything looks very custom and professional. You also gave me some ideas for my bar area for my build so thank you very much.
post #23 of 80 Old 09-10-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for saying that ack_bk! This is what it's supposed to be about! Enjoy some of this nice MN weather this weekend.
post #24 of 80 Old 09-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Awesome space! Amazing work. I can see why you would want to use that space everyday. I like your open floor plan and the kiddie area is a nice touch and smart use of space! The trim work looks great also. I can only hope mine comes out half that good. Do you have any pictures you took during the build?
post #25 of 80 Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments. If you take your time and watch for sales / bargains you too will have a space to enjoy perhaps even better. Yes, I will post some photos of the build process. In retrospect, I did not take as many as I wished but they will give you a sense for how things came together.
post #26 of 80 Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Let's stay on topic guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #27 of 80 Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Nice job, I'm sure you and your family are enjoying it!
post #28 of 80 Old 09-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Very nice job ModestHT! You really paid attention to detail and it shows. Really turned out fantastic. I'm sure you and your family are enjoying the new space. I did the same thing too always looking for sales/clearance items even though I was months or in some cases years before needing it. Enjoy!
post #29 of 80 Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Your basement turned out awesome javatime. You even went so far as to make your own cabinets.....well done! I wasn't that ambitious. What screen is that? Are you happy with it? I'm thinking of adding a projector and drop-down screen this winter.

Brad's HT room is amazing too! A ton of detail and it looks like you could fit a whole football team in there
post #30 of 80 Old 09-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

What screen is that? Are you happy with it? I'm thinking of adding a projector and drop-down screen this winter.

We are very happy with the Elite CineTension2 screen. I think the size is ~
110". I had a 50" plasma behind it, but moved the TV upstairs and use the PJ for everything now. During my build, I was naive to the fact that a PJ could deliver HDTV picture quality, but was proven wrong so no need for the plasma in the theater area. I'm thinking about adding a fixed scope screen behind it and maybe curtains on the sides and top But yes, you'll love a PJ and won't regret it.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page