Help with odd shaped room layout - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm moving into an apartment and was hoping to get some advice on speaker layout and tv placement. I've attached a diagram showing the room with my initial thoughts to placement. The diagram is based on the apartment's website image but I think the room isn't quite as wide, meaning the tv would be closer to the couch.

The real problem is the fireplace. It runs almost the entire wall, at least the brick does. The fireplace portion is labeled and the bricked portion is highlighted. The brick runs about 4.5 ft up the wall. The situation isn't ideal and I though I would get opinions. In my layout the chair will miss the left surround which may not be a big deal since someone watching tv in the chair (with 5.1 active) is rare.

I'm not a big fan of mounting over the fireplace and talking with the apartment staff, there are some concerns with finding a stud. Thanks.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayj View Post

The real problem is the fireplace.

I'm not a big fan of mounting over the fireplace

I've lived with a crooked setup like that, where the seating is not centered and the front speakers are not symmetrically arranged. It's hardly a step up from using the TV's speakers - I am not a fan. If you can find a way to reverse the TV and put it on the wall with the door, leaving the fireplace behind you, you can do a lot better.

I'd agree that having the TV above the fireplace is also a poor choice. While you might improve the sound stage, watching that way is for the birds.

I know that turning the seating away from the fireplace is totally backwards from the way people always want their living spaces arranged, but do you want a living room, or a nice place to watch movies? I ended up with a traditional living room arrangement, and it was not good for movies. Sometimes the two can coexist, but I don't see it in this space - keep looking and you may find the way.

The simplest way, IMO, would be to take a room that you were planning on using as an office or guest bedroom (assuming there is one), and allow that to be compromised to the benefit of a movie room. Spend a couple hundred bucks on a small TV to put out where you can see it while you make dinner if you want, then fire up the surround system when you can get away from all the other stuff.

Just my thoughts...

Fred
LL
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page