Tomek's theater build - with pics. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
EDIT - Revised layout.

So here is the proposed floor plan. What do you guys think? What should I change revise while I still can?

For now the empty space in the back will remain empty but I might decide to use it as an office by throwing a desk and a pc in there.

------
Here is the proposed power, lighting, audio, video layout.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 96
An office? That would be a terrible waste of space. That's a perfect location for some arcade games, maybe a pinball machine and definitely a kegerator.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Am I on the right track with plan? Will this setup work? Just looking for some input.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 AM

Liked: 10
You have plenty of room for a second row of seating (which I would recommend). Are you looking to have a dedicated space or are you going to keep the room open?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure about that. Wife would prefer this opened but I dont mind puting in a door and second row of seating...
Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will be following this build the entire way. You have almost the EXACT same layout that I do for my proposed basement (my stairs are in a different location and I don't have quite as much space as you for 14'x10' area but it is close). The 25' 4" measurement is exactly the same as mine. Crazy.

My plan right now is for one row of seats with a counter right behind them for 4 additional seats when I have company over. If I go with 2 rows of recliners they will only get fully used a couple of times a year. I'm also keeping the entire room open but kind of delineating the "theater" by using 1/2 walls and the seats and maybe some soffits on the ceiling. As much as I'd like a "dedicated" room I know that I would the only one who ever used it. The open layout is much more inviting and I know my wife will hang out down there with me if she can read a book or something while I'm watching football.

I think you are off to a good start with the layout - I probably wouldn't make an office down there next to the furnace/water heater (I'm opting for a bar/kitchenette area and some arcade games) but that's just me.

What if you rotated the theater area 90 degrees so when you came downstairs you were in the back of the theater behind the couch? You might be able to get some more floor space back near the office/sump pump wall for something else... just a thought.

Are you building this yourself?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

So to update I will get my permit a week from now. City has approved what I am going to do here. Also subfloor is being delivered tomorrow (I went with OVRX Barricade system and for my space need around 190 tiles).

I will be doing most of this myself with the help of friends except for mud and tape the drywall and hvac which no one likes to do and I dont know anyone who does hvac.

I am still toying with the idea of revising this plan somewhat but I dont want to loose walls for speaker placement etc. We also need the extra storage (everyone does) so I think I might leave it as is but add a little bar and small beer fridge in the back instead of second row of seating (which would only be used few times a year)... but this can all be done as the contruction goes on. My plan is to have this finished by the end of the year and all equipment in place by end of Januray (my birthday) hehe. We will see how that goes but I will be sure to start taking pics as soon as we get going.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Progress... both construction and design hehe.

#1. I have revised the floor plan (see first post).
#2. Sub floor is laid... (700sqft)
#3. Framing is 90% complete and will be 100% this weekend.
#4. HVAC guy is coming by friday to run supply / return ducts and exhaust fan for the w/r.
#5. Plumber is coming Saturday to run water and whatever else is needed in the powder room.

------------------

I really like watching this empty space come to life

------------------
pics of whats done will be coming up tonight.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Interesting,

Just remember that there is no progress without proof (pics) so if you say there is progress then you must provide evidence of said progress.

Love the fish tank idea, much better than an office.

Welcome to the madness, I will be following along. I also see a sump pump in the diagram. Is this a sump that runs on a regular basis or one that goes years without running. If it is the former and not the latter, I suggest you look into a battery backup system. The last thing you want is to finish your space and have the sump fail filling your basement with water.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

The sump pump is only running when we get lots and I mean lots of rain. And it only runs for a little bit. We are getting backup installed end of winter when the thawing starts thats for sure.
I know I promised pics last night but life got in a way. They will be up tonight. We are still toying with the aquarium idea because it will never be seen. I mean when we are there watching a movie the tank lights will be off, and when the lights are on we wont be there. So by this weekend I will need to decide.... BAR or AQUARIUM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyravr View Post

The sump pump is only running when we get lots and I mean lots of rain. And it only runs for a little bit. We are getting backup installed end of winter when the thawing starts thats for sure.
I know I promised pics last night but life got in a way. They will be up tonight. We are still toying with the aquarium idea because it will never be seen. I mean when we are there watching a movie the tank lights will be off, and when the lights are on we wont be there. So by this weekend I will need to decide.... BAR or AQUARIUM.

Why don't you build an aquarium into a bar base? If it is an either or type of thing I vote bar as you would get more use out of it.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Just getting a wiring list together. Is there a typical "template" to follow as what I need to go where?
Here is what I am thinking.

receiver to PJ - HDMI x2 and cat6 x2 (future and just in case)
speakers - 7 runs of 12awg
subs - 2 runs of coax

--------------------------
what gets me confused is all the wall plates, boxes, keystones etc etc. Any help with this would be great.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

And so it begins. Subfloor is in the basement and ready to go.

Subfloor done.

90% framing done.

The 14' screen wall.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update... HVAC guys came in yesterday and did their thing. All looks great. Next on the list plumber for this saturday to move some lines to make everything nice and tidy and we will be done with framing saturday night.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good. The subfloor will make a huge difference in the "feel" of the basement space. Who is that reading directions on the floor there? Hmmmm.......somebody has to be the brains of the operation now don't they.

On the boxes, plates and what not I did a wiring diagram to help me figure out where the low voltage boxes went and what they were for. I ran five different sub woofer cable runs to allow flexibility in placement, I ran HDMI and component to the projector location and I also ran two runs to the front three speaker locations either to biamp/biwire the speakers (should that ever be necessary) or to run separate speakers for a two channel set up.

Don't for get to run power to the ceiling for the projector. If you can run conduit for all of the wiring you can. Will make it much easier to run future cables should that be necessary.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yea that be my wife... no directions though, bills is more like it... she stays out of there as much as she can hehe.
------
So a weekend update... framing all done, plumbing in, hvac in.
Getting electrical quotes now and deciding on what cables and outlets etc. to get from Monoprice. Should be able to drywall beginning of Dec.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Very clean work so far. First time I have seen that OVRX flooring. Is the OVRX similar to dricore?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Top is like drycore but the bottom is different. Is meant more for isolating concrete from the floor. Think of it as plywood on top of pink foam insulation. That insualtion has grooves in it to allow moisture movement (if there is any). It also will not click, like drycore, when walking on if the concrete is uneven (and it always is). It also feels softare, so with laminate flooring it will feel great.
---------
There wont be much progress for a while since I have to wait for all my cables to come in from Monoprice and also my electrician will not be able to get going until next week. But after that I am ready for drywall
Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the proposed outlet layout. Anything I should change tell me now lol

Old 11-17-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok,

I'm not an electrical professional, so take the following with a grain of salt. To me it looks good and at first glance you have all of your bases covered. Here are a couple of suggestions. I would put a light in with the sump pump if it is a floor to ceiling space. Having a closed off space for my sumps I put in a dedicated light and have not looked back. Looks like you will have plenty of light down there in the space but I would suggest setting up the dimmers a little differently.

For example in my room I have 8 pot lights and four sconces. The sconces are on their own dimmer. the front two (by the screen) are on a dimmer, the next four on a dimmer and the last two on a dimmer

________

x x

x x

x x

x x

X's being the pot lights underline being the screen.

Personal preference but according to your diagram looks like you have some "zones" that maybe overlap. You also may have a very good reason for doing it the way you have. Just an observation.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

The reason why I went with this is that I like to be able to control the lights in groups like this. The side control will lead to where I will have the a/v rack, the other dimmer will control area above future bar, and the rest in half. Should work OK. I also like to have the lights spaced evenly.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I would put the lights closest to the screen on their own dimmer. Especially in an open space like this you may want to have the rest of the lighting up (but dimmed) but not have any direct light hitting the screen. It also looks like the side speakers are a bit to far in front of the seating position.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

^^^ why would I want light on when Im watching a movie? There is no way im going through all the trouble of having dark walls, ceiling and then turning on the lights lol
Also the speakers will be positioned once I get the couch in and its all setup. The diagram was more of me seeing how big of a screen I can fir in there and still have some room for speakers.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyravr View Post

^^^ why would I want light on when Im watching a movie? There is no way im going through all the trouble of having dark walls, ceiling and then turning on the lights lol
Also the speakers will be positioned once I get the couch in and its all setup. The diagram was more of me seeing how big of a screen I can fir in there and still have some room for speakers.

Oh, I think that you may reconsider when you entertain in that open floor plan. For a movie yes the ideal is darker is better, for big games, tv, and such sometimes a bat cave is not the most conducive to social events. Having the ability to have some lights on without being directly on the screen washing it out is a plus. Just something to think about.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 11-19-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

The lights above the "future bar" area are on separate dimmer and so is the half of the room further away from the screen. I think this should be enought imho if I do want some lights there, but I know that I wont
Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

So finally progress. I have received $600 worth of "stuff" from monoprice and run all the cables last night. I doubled up on all locations and added cat6 to every location of equipoment in the room. I think I got myself pretty future proof and damage proof. Today electrician will come out to start the rough in and once his boxes are in I will then position my low voltage boxes accordingly. Pics of my work and the mess of cables coming up. Electrical will get inspected before friday and saturday I have a date with my friends to help my drywall. Moving along nicely gain
Old 12-02-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

As primissed I dont lie just get busy lol

Hallway to the w/r there will be two wall sconces because the ceiling is too busy for pot lights.

w/r exhaust fan insulated and roughed in

hvac ducts re-routed the above floor and all joints new and existing taped (taped the entire basement... no more heat / cold leaks).

just a mess of a/v cables where the equipment will go

where the PJ will go I installed supports for ceiling mount, lots of room and you see here 2-hdmi and 3 cat6 cables

electrical roughed in (1cct for lights, 1 for a/v, 1 subs, 1 general, 1 bar)

Not much else to show here. I will have more interesting pics after the weekend... you know whats next DRYWALL hehe
Old 12-03-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like you have a big mess of cables there. Good thing that you labeled them all. Making good progress though, that's good news.

On the HVAC front, I'm just curious how many supplies and returns did you end up putting in. Oh, and on the register/supply, is it local code to have it in the wall vs. the ceiling or was that your choice. My returns are in the walls, my supplies are in the ceiling. I find that interesting.

Regards,

RTROSE

Keep the progress pics coming.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yea when my wife saw all the cables she said... "WOW... I dont even want to know". I said... "Good".

For the HVAC I have four (4) supplies and one double return. Local codes state that both have to be in wall (at basement level) and supplies have to be 12" above floor, whereas return 12" below ceiling. If you think about it this makes sense.

---------------

Last weekend we finished all drywall, aluminum corner trims and windows. I will post pics later on tonight. Next up this weekend is start of mud, sand, tape etc. job that no one wants to be a part of... so its hired out.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

And here we go as promised.

Looking down into the basement.

Storage room at the bottom of the stairs.

Looking into the powder room. You can see water lines for the sink.

Sump pump area.

Screen wall.

Where did all the cables go?