Merc's Theater Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well to start i never really had a full out Theater Room, But have been watching and collecting Movies for a long Time, Bought My First 3d TV last November, On Black Friday, Ya that went to are Master Bedroom, So Wanted another One for the Living Room.

Equipment List We own.

Home Theater Room

LC-70LE734U Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D
Onkyo tx-nr709 7.2
KLIPSH F-30 Front Speakers X 2
KLIPSH S-20 Surround Speakers x 2
KLIPSH B-20 Bookshelf Speakers X 2
KLIPSH C-20 Center Speaker
KLIPSH SW-112 Subwoofer X 2
PS3 320G
XBOX 360 MOD 750G

Master Bedroom

lg 47LX6500 3D
BOSE CINEMATE GS 2
Ps3 120G

Sons Room

Philips 42pf7421d/37
PS3 120G

Bar room

EMERSON LC320EM1 X2 SIDE BY SIDE
PS3 320G

So We out and bought the New Sharp 2 months ago, And i caught the bug, I decided I did not want a Living room Any more Since We have a family room, and Bar room,

Here are the past few months work from the time i got the tv, Until tonight when I installed the backlighting.

I'm Still waiting on my second row of seats that i hope are in next week.

After getting New tv only had one sub at the time.

Added second sub, First row of Theater seats, and curtains on back wall.

Here are a few pics of the seats

Added back lite to tv it was a 6' white led light bar i bought from home
depot, I know it was the wrong light only 4500 lumens Found some 6500 fluorescent light's but really did not want a fluoresent behind the tv.
It came out a little yellow behind tv and really did not like it.

Spent A couple days thinking what to do and came up with putting Blue Transparent PET TAPE over it. Gave it a much better fill and am happy with the difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 AM

looks comfy!
post #3 of 26 Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Curtains backed with blackout material would do wonders at blocking the light from the windows during daytime viewing sessions. FYI.

Now you need a drop down, tab-tensioned screen and a projector! And paint the ceiling black and use darker colors on the rest of the walls.

Don't forget to look into acoustic room treatments as well. You'll really improve your sound and they don't have to cost a fortune.

See... it never ends.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4 of 26 Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Curtains backed with blackout material would do wonders at blocking the light from the windows during daytime viewing sessions. FYI.

Now you need a drop down, tab-tensioned screen and a projector! And paint the ceiling black and use darker colors on the rest of the walls.

Don't forget to look into acoustic room treatments as well. You'll really improve your sound and they don't have to cost a fortune.

See... it never ends.

Ya your telling me, All that is to come, Blacking out the windows are my first Priority!
post #5 of 26 Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Just got in my frame, Thanks to all the people on here with there ideas that help with me getting this one done, Found the Prints on here and printed them out my self and had frame Made at Michael's

post #6 of 26 Old 10-14-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know how easy it would be to change this, but I would suggest swapping the location of your mono-pole side speakers and your di-pole back surround speakers.

Then drop the side di-pole speakers down a little bit on the wall, which will either be accomplished by fishing the speaker wire through the drywall, or using thin wire molding to cover the wire and painting over it. The rule of thumb for surrounds is usually the tweeter being 2-3 feet up from your ear when in the seated position.

You'll get a better 7.1 surround experience that way.

FYI.

You've got a nice start on your theater!

post #7 of 26 Old 10-15-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank for your advice Dan, So what your saying is swap my side and surround and drop my side's down. I would if if i could put them inwall but i have a window on right side that i cant drop below that. But i can swap speakers but am upgrading the surrounds i have now to KLIPSH RS-62 II Surround Speaker, And where going to to place the old ones for the front highs. Or should i place the book shelf i have for my sides as front highs and put old surround on side, and new in surround spot.

That is what i plan on doing.
post #8 of 26 Old 10-15-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can get your side surrounds at the proper tweeter height and 90 degree location using in-walls, then go with the Klipsch R-5650-S in-wall surrounds instead of the RS-62 II on-walls.

Use the Klipsch bookshelves you're currently using as side surrounds as the back surround speakers. Use your current back dipole surrounds for the front height speakers.

If you can re-pull some wire and do some light ceiling patching before the repaint, then put your rear surrounds a bit closer together in the 150 degree locations and just slightly further back from your couch than where you have them located now.

An example...

post #9 of 26 Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Will do that once i get other speakers in and try it out and let you know how it sounds!! And will post pictures. I am waiting on second row of seats should be here in hopefully a week or so order them two weeks ago. Running wires and everything is no problem i have a attic above.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-16-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't realize you're doing a second row... oops!

Can you post a dimensional diagram of the room layout with what you're considering (and the obstructions like windows, doorways, etc.)? That will definitely influence the speaker locations.

post #11 of 26 Old 10-16-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Dan,

Here is the lay out of room with second row of seating. Could not shrink down seats but they are a 6" shorter on each side, Have 2'6" from seating to wall on both sides

I am going to be pluging the three windows in the room with foam and black out cloth, This week, Also painting walls and putting in a darker carpet, Not Black...Land lord would not let me put in black, so i had to go with a dark brown with black in it, He is paying half so figured i would go with him if he was not going to help I would of put black in.

Also me and my wife sit in the front row love seat.
post #12 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Think of your room like the radius of a circle. The center speaker being placed at zero degrees.

I would perhaps find another location for the subs, probably one on either side of the side walls, or put one in front and one in back (either would help to even out the room's bass response). Your front speakers are spread too far apart... around the 30 degree mark is ideal. Use a laser pointer to angle them to the main viewing location.

I'd also move the side surrounds to a location that's a bit more between the two rows of seats... like the 110 degree location rather than at 90 degrees to the front row viewers. It's not a long enough room where two pairs of side speakers (one for each row) would be beneficial.

The back surrounds (using your bookshelf speakers) should be at the 150 degree location and mounted on the back wall. So, that would mean they need to be placed closer together as in the diagram above.

Both the side and back surrounds should be at the same height, if possible.

If you wanted to splurge a bit, I'd go with two pairs of R-5650-S in-walls because your back row is so close to the rear wall. Use one pair for the sides and one pair for the back surrounds. You'll get a better spread of sound due to the location of your seating. If you had a good 2-3 feet between the back row seats and the rear wall, then I'd consider using the mono-pole bookshelfs in the rear. Mount the bookshelves as front height speakers instead.

If you don't go with the in-walls (though you said it might help with the speaker locations), then use two pairs of RS-62 II for sides and backs (mount them flush on the wall). Sell the S-20's or use them some place else.

Just one idea.

post #13 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Dan, I like your idea I think i'm going to go with the Inwall Speakers, Just waiting till Black Friday And maybe a i catch a deal on something, Maybe not.
post #14 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully so! Though sometimes good speaker sales happen randomly. Black Friday just isn't what it used to be. Keep snooping.

Good luck!

post #15 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well I laid carpet and recieved back seats all in one day I guess it was really a good day

post #16 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The chairs look nice! What kind are they?

Now that I have a better view of your theater room situation with these new pics...

I think I'm going to revise my surround speaker recommendations. The fronts and sub suggestions still stand (front speakers a bit closer together and not in the corners, subs on each of the side walls, not right in the front). I'd definitely stick with the RS-62 II on-walls for the sides and place them with their tweeters 3 feet up from your ears in the front row. Place them slightly forward of midway between your front and back rows.

Take the S-20 dipoles in the back and mount them closer together at the 150 degree locations as I mentioned before, but still use them in the back. Take your bookshelves and use them as front height speakers, if you still want to do that.

I think that will work much better.

post #17 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Its been a while since i have posted moved four months ago and started to build my bar and pool room first, it is complete and this last weekend put in over 40 hrs with four guys 7 am till 3 am completely gutting and framing wiring, painting , carpet , everything minus the stage, in my small area for my theater room lost one seat on both rows due to size really did not get much pre pics but can show pictures of what i have now. I am moving some speakers around and trying to find a larger speaker for my center now. Will post pictures of what is completed and what i am changing due to sound not sounding right. My back row is on my back speakers so trying to mount them directly up top shooting down, or try shooting up from behind seats
post #18 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some photo's what is complete with scrren shots just on a white 800 count sheet over black sheets, Also rack room which i need to start next, Still have molding to put up top and bottom, And running currents behind the back row, and running ac duct to room, have portable ac unit in there as of now.397700397397700397397397397

Room size and screen size

projector is a optoma
screen size 91" x 52" scrren 102"
projector is 13' from screen

room is 11' by 16' with a walk way and small area of another 12' x 4' build equipment room and dvd room out of. Here is photo of room
post #19 of 26 Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Swapped speakers around, Sounds 100% better, Put dipole speakers to side and moved book shelf speakers to center back at almost a 45 degree angle down, I also lifted left and right front speakers so they are now behind the screen and not just behind and under, Really want to get a center speaker now was just playing around and hooked up floor standing and 100% better then my small center now.

Have question should i get same speaker as my left and right so they are all the same, I have read a few times that is the best way to go?

Clean out rack and dvd room, also mounts reciever, layed floors, added light and started making dvd shelfs. Will post photo's shortly.
post #20 of 26 Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the photo's of equipment room, still has a lot of work to be done, just working on right side were dvd shelfs are going to be, then have to take everything down on left side and move power to behind reciever and everything and re run speaker wire, and paint everything on left side right side is silver wall with black shelving, hope have done this eveningURL=http://www.avsforum.com/image/id/1170919/width/600/height/397]397[/URL]397700
post #21 of 26 Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

got a pretty good start on shelves and candy disply.700700397
post #22 of 26 Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerculieff View Post

Dan,

Here is the lay out of room with second row of seating. Could not shrink down seats but they are a 6" shorter on each side, Have 2'6" from seating to wall on both sides

I am going to be pluging the three windows in the room with foam and black out cloth, This week, Also painting walls and putting in a darker carpet, Not Black...Land lord would not let me put in black, so i had to go with a dark brown with black in it, He is paying half so figured i would go with him if he was not going to help I would of put black in.

Sorry for random post but what app is that?
post #23 of 26 Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

I truely can't remember what is was, it was a online store, thought it was ikea, looked but does not look like theres now.
post #24 of 26 Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 PM

oh didnt realize that was just a website. well if you think of it let me know, looks easy to use smile.gif
post #25 of 26 Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerculieff View Post

Dan,

What program is that, that you used to make the graphic of your room?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #26 of 26 Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

It was a online funiture site not sure looked around for a bit earlier trying to remember, But i never found it. I'll try to find it again because i want to do the new room layout,
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page