Yobrigidey's Basement Theater/Rec Room/Bar build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured its about time to start up one of these threads to get some helpful advice and encouragement.

We moved into this house (our first home) back in December 2010. After finishing quite a few projects, its finally time to start on the basement. We'll be finishing a rec room/theater/bar/game room. We love to entertain and having a dedicated theater doesn't really fit the bill for us.

I've done some rough sketchup drawings of the concept for our basement. We'll also be putting in a bedroom, office, and full bath.

So, here are some details:

Equipment closet will contain:
-DirecTV HD DVR and Bluray for living room TV (located upstairs)
-DirecTV HD box
-PS3
-HTPC
-AVR (probably TX-NR709)
-Preamp for whole home audio system (probably TX-NR509)

-We're currently looking at a 120" 16x9 screen with 15' viewing distance. The projector will be one of the last purchases...because we all know you can't be productive with one in the house...

-I'm still undecided on speakers. We'll be on a strict budget as this build progresses. I'm thinking monoprice in walls for the sides and in-ceilings for the surrounds. I'm not overly concerned with the sound quality here since it isn't a dedicated theater and the room is anything but ideal. I'm thinking an AT screen with the front, sides, and SW behind the screen wall (more for WAF than SQ). I will probably end up building a custom set of speakers for behind the screen wall.

Well, here are a couple of quick-n-dirty renderings:

Rough Idea of screen wall

Rough idea of Bar

The bar will actually have a sink on the short side as well as a kegerator and tap centered along the side with the bar top. I'm also still trying to decide on what to do for upper cabinets. There is a large window on the back wall of the bar.

I'll upload photos of my current framing progress tomorrow, as well as my lighting/power/low voltage plans. Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well...it's been 4 months. I suppose I can update this thread. I was insanely busy over the holidays and have just started to work again over the last 2 weeks. Framing is almost done, only 1 little wall left to build. I've started pulling electrical and low voltage too. Light fixtures are ordered. We should be purchasing cabinets for the bar this weekend.

Here's a few updated pics:
First, the bar has been rotated 90 degrees. This will allow a back bar with shelving and a tv that would not have been possible with the window.

Screen wall with screen size taped up for reference

Left side of screen wall looking towards bathroom door. Av closet and bedroom doors on left side.

Another angle

Pulling low voltage to av closet.

Right side of screen, looking into the office

The current mess of low voltage cabling at my patch panels.

And lastly, my latest toy:

So yes, some changes have been made. I've ordered 17 4" cans and 8 6" cans. All will have a black alzak reflector, which I'm really excited about. They shouldn't have any reflection off the trim piece. No reflection = very little light on screen when lights are on.

That's all for now!
post #3 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

No love in this thread, huh? I'll try to suck you in with more pics, this time taken from my new iPad. Drywall is here, hope to start hanging it this weekend. Plumbing is done, but I have a very slow leak at the shower valve that will need some attention before I start hanging gyp board. I've made a punch list of all the things that need to be finished before drywall, and it still seems way too long......

The cans are all hung, here is one of the black alzak trims. Can you tell it's on? From about 4 ft away

How about now? About 18" away

One of the 6"ers about 2' from the wall

Graphic eye circuiting. All tied together for now

Blocking and recessed box for projector cabling. Look close and you can see I have the 2" conduit almost all the way to it, just need more fittings.

The conduits fastened above the (future) accessible panel in the av closet above the rack location.

And a general view of the basement so far. The fixture bases attach to the trim, which will be pushed up into the can after ceilings are in. That's why they are all hanging down right now.

Until next time...
post #4 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I don't know how I missed this thread. This is a nice space and your are doing a nice job. Excited to see the future progress. And yes, pictures really help
post #5 of 12 Old 03-21-2012, 09:28 AM

Great space and I like your design. Looking forward to seeing bar pics as that is the stage I am in right now.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobrigidey View Post

No love in this thread, huh? I'll try to suck you in with more pics, this time taken from my new iPad. Drywall is here, hope to start hanging it this weekend. ...

hi!
just to let you know I am following your thread.

I can't get over how CLEAN your workspace is!!!!
in ours there seems a never end of dust & yuck. trying to avoid a messy remodel with carpeting in the way is not easy. & especially since I end up being the cleaning crew of one. (HUBBY IS THE MESS MAKER )

we just got done with a 2000 sq ft addition, I don't envy your task, yours looks very elaborate!
post #7 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Looks really good so far. I'm always a little jealous when I see these blank canvas builds. I had to pull all my wire through finished walls and now I have to try to figure out how to split and control all the lighting. Would love a grafikeye, but I'll probably have to settle for an insteon based setup.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone! 6 months in and I finally get some love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post

Looks really good so far. I'm always a little jealous when I see these blank canvas builds. I had to pull all my wire through finished walls and now I have to try to figure out how to split and control all the lighting. Would love a grafikeye, but I'll probably have to settle for an insteon based setup.

Anyone who is an engineer, architect, lighting designer,or contractor should look into Lutron's friends of the industry discount. Amazing savings!

Look for more updates by the end of the weekend. I hope to get to hanging drywall this weekend. Everyone keep their fingers crossed!!!
post #9 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM

FWIW I have the monoprice in-walls in my living room (including center) with a dayton audio 12" sub. Very happy with the sound for the money, and you can't beat in-walls for looks. I am not expecting this to be world-class sound (I have another area set up for music listening), but for general tv and movie watching it's great.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

So yeah... Long time no update. It's looking a lot different now....

I reframed the bar with screws and 2x6's, it's much more stable now. Probably just one more week and I'll have drywall hung. We decided to hire out mudding and taping and ceiling texturing, so paint should be on walls within a month! So excited I can't wait!
post #11 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I give you credit my man. I bought a new home a few years back, there was no way I was going to finish the basement myself. I HATE finishing drywall. I had the builder finish it, I just ran the low voltage wiring. Looks good so far.

post #12 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobrigidey View Post

We decided to hire out mudding and taping and ceiling texturing, so paint should be on walls within a month!

Good call. I spent several weeks slapping on mud, then sanding most of it off on a kitchen I was doing. Finally hired a couple of guys and they banged it out in a day and a half. Well worth it! I won't attempt big mudding and taping jobs again.

Looks good so far.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page