Hendrickson's Home Theater Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think I'm finally to the stage where I should start posting things. Please feel free to tear apart anything I post b/c this is the first HT build I'm actually putting some time into planning and am looking for any advice.

I've run all the electrical and speaker wires. I used plastic flexible conduit to each of the speaker locations and the projector. Just for fun I did 4 subwoofer runs to the front and rear of the room. The projector and components are on their own dedicated circuit. I'm going to be using GreenGlue throughout. To the left of the room will be the rack as well as a bar or wet bar.

The dimensions of the main HT area is 12.5' x 16.5' and the bar area being another 8'x8'. I'm thinking the size of the bar area might make it hard to put in an actual bar, so I might opt for a wet bar instead. We'll see...

Attached are some pics and SketchUp drawings for how I'm thinking I'd like the room to end up. Lemme know if you have any ideas on making it better!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

I also purchased the green glue sealant for this project. From what I read, the recommendation is to gap the layers of drywall and seal in between...? Would it be recommended that I do this for both layers of drywall?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Reminds me of when I started...I kind of miss the whole build part... :-)

http://www.projectorcentral .com/for...cfm?which=9447

* remove the space from between projectorcentral and .com

I've been up and running since Jan 2007 and still sit back and enjoy every bit of the project and am always tweaking little things to take the theater to the next level. It's a great investment!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendricksonet View Post

I also purchased the green glue sealant for this project. From what I read, the recommendation is to gap the layers of drywall and seal in between...? Would it be recommended that I do this for both layers of drywall?

I would. Stock up on tubes of acoustic sealant caulk!

Run empty conduit so you can always upgrade your cables when necessary! It'll be a pain in the arse if you don't.

Good luck!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dan. I hope I stocked up enough, I have 2 cases of the green glue acoustical sealant and (3) 5 gallon pails of Green glue. If I have enough extra I'll add another double layer of drywall w/green glue on the wall in our storage room.

Oh yes, and I did run flexible conduit to each of the speaker terminals and the projector. It was easy enough and pretty darn cheap.

That being said, I did start on the ceiling. I was able to get one layer up so my first attempt at green glue will start shortly!!! The most annoying part was trying to gap the layers of drywall on the ceiling with 2 people without a drywall lift.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:

Thanks Dan. I hope I stocked up enough, I have 2 cases of the green glue acoustical sealant and (3) 5 gallon pails of Green glue. If I have enough extra I'll add another double layer of drywall w/green glue on the wall in our storage room.

Oh yes, and I did run flexible conduit to each of the speaker terminals and the projector. It was easy enough and pretty darn cheap.

That being said, I did start on the ceiling. I was able to get one layer up so my first attempt at green glue will start shortly!!! The most annoying part was trying to gap the layers of drywall on the ceiling with 2 people without a drywall lift.

Rent one. Your backs will thank you!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing too exciting happening lately. I wasn't able to get a second layer of drywall on the ceiling, but did get the acoustical sealant applied. Figured I'd post a few pics for fun. I still have 20 tubes of the sealant left so I figure I should have plenty.
LL
LL
Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like it's been about 2 months since I've really done much of anything. Holidays and family take up most of my days. With the help of friends and family I was able to get the second layer of drywall on the ceiling. I've been very impressed so far with the sound levels. I can only imagine what it will be like with the walls up. I stopped over to Menards today with my step-dad and together we carried 50 pieces of 5/8" drywall into the basement...that was an exciting morning. I hope to start putting the walls up this week.
LL
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM

I'm interested in how your room turns out. I have a similar sized area where I plan to build a HT and bar.

Where in WI are you located?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, let me know I you have any thoughts along the way on my build. I'm in the big city of Eau Claire (sarcasm)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I did a quick search, but didn't find anything. I have a question for people that have 2 or more layers of drywall. What do you do for corner bead on your outside edges?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:

I did a quick search, but didn't find anything. I have a question for people that have 2 or more layers of drywall. What do you do for corner bead on your outside edges?

The layers should overlap and alternate at the corners, so it should just look like a 'normal' drywall corner. So any standard corner bead will work fine. My guys used the rounded corners, but that was just matching the rest of the home construction/style.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well, slowly but surely we're making progress. Some family stopped over and helped with some more drywall. I opted for some denim insulation for in the wall by the furnace/storage room. I'm hoping that a total of 4 layers of drywall (2 on each side of the wall), green glue on each side and denim insulation helps prevent as much noise as possible from entering into the room. A last minute addition was also a run of PVC to the front of the room. Even though I'm going with a projector, I ran the PVC in case we ever change our mind down the road.
LL
LL
LL
Old 07-15-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Again...slowly but surely we're making progress. We were finally able to get the second layer of drywall up. I'm not sure how many pieces of drywall we put up, but it seemed like it would never end. Towards the end the Green Glue applicator gun started to become extremely hard to suck the compound up with. My estimates were almost perfect as far as the amount of compound I would need. I purchased 2.5 buckets of Green Glue and ran short by 2 tubes, which I picked up from Menards. Next step is getting the stage completed and then mudding and taping.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

6 months since the last post and we're slowly getting there. Hopefully we don't reach the 2 year mark! smile.gif We're done with taping, mudding, texture and just today primed the room. Paint colors are picked out. The lighter of the grays in the picture below will be the ceiling color, almost a greenish/gray tone will be on the walls and black behind the projection screen. I'm still debating on surround speakers, but the main's will be my old Klipsch Chorus speakers; I've always enjoyed their sound. Receiver is Onkyo 9.2 TX-NR1008.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM

looking good, i really like your color choices
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

That was my wife's doing on the colors smile.gif My father-in-law had some time off and started on the painting, so far it's looking good. It's definately starting to feel more real as the room starts to get some color. The pics aren't the greatest, but oh well.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Paint is done, carpet guy is stopping by today.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

A little more progress. This past weekend my father-in-law stopped by and tiled and I painted the final coat on the trim and doors. We went with a long tile that mimics wood. Once we get the trim in we'll be scheduling the carpet install. Really looking forward to wrapping this build up

Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendricksonet View Post

We went with a long tile that mimics wood. Once we get the trim in we'll be scheduling the carpet install. Really looking forward to wrapping this build up

That looks like the same or similar porcelain tile I have in a pattern in my foyer - just be very, very careful when it's wet - it is amazingly slippery!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Carpet was installed today. I promptly started setting up the speakers. I needed to see how big of a screen I could get with 3' worth of speakers. Really thinking they might be too big, but I really like the sound.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, many years in the making and I'm on the home stretch. Carada 114" bright white screen came today and it was promptly installed. I'm just waiting for the Sony vpl-hw55es to be released!!!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Looks great! You may want to pick up some black velvet to drape over the top and screen facing sides of those speakers, I think they are going to glow a bit being that close to the screen.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, good thought, thanks. My wife will thank you for that too, she hates the color of the wood on those speakers. smile.gif
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 51
looks great! I can't wait to get my build done! Similar type of room as yours. I"m debating on building a stage though. My ceiling coming from the screen wall to about 7 feet out will be significantly lower then the main room due to duct work. So the screen wall will be about 7 feet tall while the rest of the room is 9 feet tall. I was afraid of taking away wall for my screen if I build a stage. I like the look of it though!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oops, you hit that dreaded 2 year mark with your build, hopefully you will soon be sitting down to enjoy your finished HT. wink.gif
Your build is looking sweet, nice work! Any new photos to share?
I'm about ready to start posting photos of my re-remodel of our basement room, have been prepping the bookshelves getting them ready for relocating all the gear.
My next step will be to stretch the screen fabric over my DIY frame.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll get the pictures posted shortly. I'm on the line with Sony right now. Looks like the HW55ES is in stock so I'm grabbing that! smile.gif
Old 11-01-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Figures. The listing was a mistake on the sony page and they promptly removed it. Lol.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Adding a few better quality pictures

I ran flexible conduit to each speaker, to the projector and to the front of the room in case we, or any future owner of the house, ever went away from a projector setup. To allow me to move my subwoofer around the room for optimal placement, I have 4 subwoofer runs in each corner of the room.

I still need to cover up the boxes in the front of the room.

Wet bar

Another side shot. I haven't purchased theater seating yet, but plan on doing so maybe next year when it's in the budget smile.gif We just have a couple leftovers sitting down there now smile.gif

Missing projector.....(please fill this in Sony)

Cabinet for components
Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Projector came yesterday. Promptly installed!!! Here are a couple pics...the kids wanted to watch Gnomeo and Juliet smile.gif