Want to refinish bartop with wood flooring - ideas/suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I were talking yesterday and decided that we are going to refinish the top on our basement bar. Originally we toyed with the idea of doing a "faux granite" finish on it, but then we saw hardwood flooring on sale for ridiculously cheap prices and decided we should go that route.

Plan is to find a nice looking hardwood to make the bartop, cover it with an epoxy layer, and come up with a plan for finishing the front of the bar so it looks nice.

Questions I have:
Do you guys have any suggestions for sites to look for edging for the bartop?

Would it be a better idea to remove the current bartop and start from scratch (I'm thinking layer of plywood then hardwood on top) or would it be reasonable to put the wood layer on top?

Any suggestions for finishing the front of the bar? Right now it has beautiful vinyl graphics leftover from last year's halloween party... otherwise it is just thin plywood that is painted white.

Also - please post up any pictures you guys have of your hardwood flooring bartops!

Current bartop is 21" wide x around 9 feet long.

Here are some photos:

This end will be trimmed down no matter what direction we go... it just gets in the way when walking around the bar.

Unrelated - but a TV is going to be going in where the "shooters" poster is...

Thanks for any feedback!

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 PM

Do you have a router? You could edge the bar in the same wood, but curve where the side meets the bar top.

Considered a glass top to cover the wood?

Going to do just the bar or the whole thing by the sink as well?

I'm assuming the hardwood flooring is raw I.e. No factory finish.

I'd just want to be sure I had it all sealed up to prevent water damage from the inevitable spilled drink.

You could always consider a stained concrete DIY job...
post #3 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Router is one way to go - hadn't thought of that. We were thinking something like this:
The lip looks like it would make it easier to pour on the epoxy layer.

We haven't purchase the wood yet - we were envisioning finished wood under the clearcoat.

For this project we'll be just doing the bar - the sink and counter space in the back will be a project for another day...won't be doing that with wood though...

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #4 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After some looking and pricing... we decided that under a layer of epoxy, a laminate will look about the same as real hardwood. We are considering going with this option here:

Which is a Brazilian Cherry from Home Depot... and at $20 a case it will cover 24 square feet...

Any thoughts?

-Aaron
post #5 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Your talking about the type of epoxy people use on bars/ tables where the imbed items in it sometimes? If so it seems to me it ends up with a lot of scratches over time. I briefly looked online at nice bar edging like you pictured above, expensive stuff. Have you prices out Duponts quartz? The have some awesome colors with reflective flacks etc, industructible too, course for that size pro ally looking at a grand.

What would you edge with if you went with the laminate?

Have you ever tiled before?
post #6 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, Talking about the bar top epoxy - supposed to be pretty solid when it is hardened. Some scuffs and scratches would add some character to it.

I haven't priced quartz out yet - I will have to check into it. I know there are some great colors out there. Thanks for the suggestion.

My thought with the bar rail (I found out what it was called ) was to get something in a hardwood and stain it to be a little darker than the cherry laminate...

Basically I found this diagram: - and after consulting with a friend who is a better DIY guy than me we came up with this plan (if we go with the wood):
Using the current countertop as the "Sub Top" adding a layer of plywood to with the laminate on top to form the bar top, ordering bar rail model 475 as shown in the picture, and having a friend make the drip edge for me.

I have not tiled, but a good friend just did his bathroom, so I have help if needed.

-Aaron
post #7 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Check out my bar build. Its in my signature (the 2nd link). There are pages and pages of pictures and how to's. I built EXACTLY what you are looking to do including the epoxy (Envirotex)with the exception of the flooring as a top I used copper. Also check out Heynow's bar build as he was one of the flagship bars we all followed, he also used Envirotex and wood flooring.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #8 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Check out my bar build. Its in my signature (the 2nd link). There are pages and pages of pictures and how to's. I built EXACTLY what you are looking to do including the epoxy (Envirotex)with the exception of the flooring as a top I used copper. Also check out Heynow's bar build as he was one of the flagship bars we all followed, he also used Envirotex and wood flooring.

Perfect, I will check that out this afternoon! I knew I had seen it in a few build threads, but I just couldn't seem to locate them!

-Aaron
post #9 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
^ I apologize its the 1st link in my signature. The 2nd link is my new theater build and there are no bar pics in there.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to help as well as others I am sure.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #10 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

^ I apologize its the 1st link in my signature. The 2nd link is my new theater build and there are no bar pics in there.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to help as well as others I am sure.

Haha! I figured that out after a bit
Didn't get far in the bar thread yet - but it looks good!

-Aaron
post #11 of 12 Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Little project update:
Plan is now to raise the bar height about 6-7 inches to get to the "standard" height of 42 inches. That will allow us to possibly add some drawers on the back side of the bar above the shelves.

Working on a material list now...

-Aaron
post #12 of 12 Old 11-01-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Below is my build link. May give you a couple ideas.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page