Motorized TV Lift Problem - Raising and Lowering on its own - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-26-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My TV cabinet has a mind of its own. The cabinet has a Current Sensing lift that is supposed to operate the lift whenever the TV is turned on or off. In terms of intentional operation the unit has no issues. While the TV is off the lift raises and lowers the TV at random.

TV: Sony 52" XBR LCD(kdl52xbr9)
Lift: Furnlite

The TV and lift are plugged into a separate wall outlet. The cable box, AV receiver, BluRay, etc are plugged into the cabinet's built in power strips. I'm fairly certain that the whole system is on the same electrical circuit.

Any ideas as to what is causing this problem or how to stop it from happening?

Thanks

Wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm guessing the TV is drawing enough current when it's off to trigger the lift. Sounds pretty spooky!

If you have access to a Kill-a-watt meter, how about seeing how many watts the TV is drawing when it's "off".

You might try having the sensor activate on a smaller device, like the bluray player, cable box, etc.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
unplug the TV and see if the issue stops.. if not unplug the next item.. etc. If it still goes up and down with all device unplugged, call the manufacture or TAPS!
post #4 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know this thread is rather old but in hopes of finding someone else with experience with these cabinets I'm awakening it.

I have a very similar but opposite issue as the OP with my furnlite FC-FMP-3500 and Samsung UN55EH6001FXZA. When using the current sensing jack for the television the cabinet raises when tv is powered on and lowers when tv is powered off like it should.

The issue is during a short pause of audio and video while watching (think pause between your sitcom and a commercial or the split second of black screen when changing inputs on the receiver)
the cabinet will begin to lower because the amount of current draw drops so low on the fancy new energy efficient LED tv (my old lcd never had this issue).

As far as attempting to correct this I have disabled all energy saving settings on the television and even tried adjusting the back light up but to no avail it didn't change a thing.

I now have the tv plugged into switched outlet which turns the tv off once I lower it with the cabinet rf remote. Which would be ok except my Harmony cannot control the lift due to it being rf which requires me to first lift cabinet then power up with harmony/ vice versa for powering down. The goal here is to not be using the rf remote as the family is accustomed to simply pressing watch tv, watch movie, etc.. on the harmony and everything just working.

The possibilities I am hoping someone may know about are: Is this current sensor adjustable? Replaceable with more sensitive unit? Possibly adding a small draw via a night light or something similar that would be little enough to not raise the cabinet when tv off but enough to keep cabinet up when tv on but no input (which is where I would love to hear from the OP if you ever got your situation fixed and if you did what was the draw amount in mA that intermittently made your unit lift when the tv was off)

Any and all input appreciated.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2014, 08:46 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilcullen View Post
I know this thread is rather old but in hopes of finding someone else with experience with these cabinets I'm awakening it.<br><br>
I have a very similar but opposite issue as the OP with my furnlite FC-FMP-3500 and Samsung UN55EH6001FXZA. When using the current sensing jack for the television the cabinet raises when tv is powered on and lowers when tv is powered off like it should.<br><br>
The issue is during a short pause of audio and video while watching (think pause between your sitcom and a commercial or the split second of black screen when changing inputs on the receiver)<br>
the cabinet will begin to lower because the amount of current draw drops so low on the fancy new energy efficient LED tv (my old lcd never had this issue).<br><br>
As far as attempting to correct this I have disabled all energy saving settings on the television and even tried adjusting the back light up but to no avail it didn't change a thing.<br><br>
I now have the tv plugged into switched outlet which turns the tv off once I lower it with the cabinet rf remote. Which would be ok except my Harmony cannot control the lift due to it being rf which requires me to first lift cabinet then power up with harmony/ vice versa for powering down. The goal here is to not be using the rf remote as the family is accustomed to simply pressing watch tv, watch movie, etc.. on the harmony and everything just working.<br><br>
The possibilities I am hoping someone may know about are: Is this current sensor adjustable? Replaceable with more sensitive unit? Possibly adding a small draw via a night light or something similar that would be little enough to not raise the cabinet when tv off but enough to keep cabinet up when tv on but no input (which is where I would love to hear from the OP if you ever got your situation fixed and if you did what was the draw amount in mA that intermittently made your unit lift when the tv was off)<br><br>
Any and all input appreciated.
I am also having trouble with my UpLift TV lift going up and down unexpectedly. It does it mainly with my Apple TV when it is loading a movie or waiting to load a song. The lift, even though the TV is on, goes down with the loading wheel showing on the TV.

I read all the post here and it seems that no one discovered why the TV lift goes down unexpectedly.

Anyone with any ideas?

post #6 of 7 Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfitz View Post
I am also having trouble with my UpLift TV lift going up and down unexpectedly. It does it mainly with my Apple TV when it is loading a movie or waiting to load a song. The lift, even though the TV is on, goes down with the loading wheel showing on the TV.

I read all the post here and it seems that no one discovered why the TV lift goes down unexpectedly.

Anyone with any ideas?

Following again as my temporary fix was to leave TV up until I decide to lower it with rf remote "manually" since the harmony is unable to control it and the current sensing outlet would cause the same issue regardless what I did.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2014, 07:40 AM

Liked: 0
UpLift Goes Up and Down

Got it! This is my first official fix in this forum Ok, I have my TV connected to a Denon 2309CI AV Receiver. Connected to the receiver I have a Samsung Blu-Ray and a Direct TV Genie. I also have an Apple TV connected to the TV with the audio going through the receiver. I would run the ATV through the receiver also, but it (receiver) is old and only has 2 HDMI connections. Remember, when I ran the Apple TV the lift would go up and down depending on the download time of media from the ATV.

My Sony TV was plugged into the IR(Current Sensing) outlet on the lift. Obviously, given discussions here, my ATV was not emitting enough power to keep the lift up. Since the media receiver is always on, and I feel generates a great deal of energy, I plugged the receiver into the IR(Current Sensing). The Sony TV was plugged into the lifts RF outlet next to the IR.

Now the lift works perfectly, even when the ATV is searching for media....

Sony TV, Denon 2308CI AV Receiver, Direct TV Genie, Samsung Blu-RAy, Sylvannia DVD/VCR, Apple TV, Yamaha Speakers, UpLift TV Automation

Last edited by coachfitz; 06-30-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Add Signature
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page