How do I wireless stream HDTV from one TV to another TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All, I need some help please.

Here's what I am trying to do - wireless stream HD from my living room to my game room downstairs (roughly 75-100ft away, through a floor obviously).

Here's my setup - living room has an xfinity cable box and an HDTV. These are connected through an HDMI cable. Downstairs TV is an HDTV, but is not wireless compatible. Both living room and downstairs are within range of my 802.11n router and there is good signal to both (I have a repeater downstairs). Living room has an HDTV, the source cable box, and 802.11n base station. Downstairs has an HDTV, xbox 360, and a repeater.

Basically, I want to be able to watch live sports downstairs in the game room. I don't want to get a second cable box and pay the fees or have lots of wires downstairs. I've looked at several solutions, including the Peerless HDS100 HD Wireless Multimedia Center, the Brite-View airsynchHD, and the Monsoon Vulkano.

Just by reading some of the reviews, it seems like a lot of these products have some problems or issues with them. The Vulkano would be great if you were streaming to a PC (which I am not interested in at the moment). The Peerless requires a second receiver downstairs because my cable box does not have 2 HDMI outs.

Has anyone tried to do what I'm doing and what setup do you have? Any help is appreciated. Let me know if you need more details...

thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfrosty View Post

Hey All, I need some help please.

Here's what I am trying to do - wireless stream HD from my living room to my game room downstairs (roughly 75-100ft away, through a floor obviously).

Here's my setup - living room has an xfinity cable box and an HDTV. These are connected through an HDMI cable. Downstairs TV is an HDTV, but is not wireless compatible. Both living room and downstairs are within range of my 802.11n router and there is good signal to both (I have a repeater downstairs). Living room has an HDTV, the source cable box, and 802.11n base station. Downstairs has an HDTV, xbox 360, and a repeater.

Basically, I want to be able to watch live sports downstairs in the game room. I don't want to get a second cable box and pay the fees or have lots of wires downstairs. I've looked at several solutions, including the Peerless HDS100 HD Wireless Multimedia Center, the Brite-View airsynchHD, and the Monsoon Vulkano.

Just by reading some of the reviews, it seems like a lot of these products have some problems or issues with them. The Vulkano would be great if you were streaming to a PC (which I am not interested in at the moment). The Peerless requires a second receiver downstairs because my cable box does not have 2 HDMI outs.

Has anyone tried to do what I'm doing and what setup do you have? Any help is appreciated. Let me know if you need more details...

thanks all

Have you tried squeezing the cable company for a second box for free? I have FIOS and have always managed to get a credit for the second box.. when the promotion expires I call back and get them to add a new one.. sometimes if you are a good customer they will take care of you, it is worth a phone call.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:34 AM

It's not "wireless," but I suggest an HDhomerun w/ cablecard & QAM support, and a powerline ethernet adapter that plugs into your home wall ac sockets. Even the best of wireless tends to fail when streaming HD as the streaming is not set up to handle hiccups in the signal well, whereas a wired connection generally has no hiccups at all. I believe a 100baseT powerline setup is good enough for streaming tv signals, but you may want to spend a bit more for the higher capacity models. Netgear, zyxel make these devices, you'll need two of them, one upstairs and one downstairs. Then, purchase a tiny nettop pc from newegg for approx 170-250 bucks that supports hdmi. You'll be using that nettop windows media center as your dvr and to tune your tv stations downstairs. You're looking at 500 dollars one time investment for this type of system. Bonus is that the downstairs tv will have dvr functionality and be able to tune netflix and youtube, internet radio, whatever you like from the internet.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Does the TV support WIRED networking? If so, you should be able to run a short Cat wire into the repeater and make the TV THINK it's wired but it's really not.

How do you intend to change channels on the downstairs TV? I'd try hitting up Comcast for a free 2nd box. It worked for me. Tell them FIOS is beating down your door and offering 3 (or 4 boxes) for free.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 12-30-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Have you tried squeezing the cable company for a second box for free? I have FIOS and have always managed to get a credit for the second box.. when the promotion expires I call back and get them to add a new one.. sometimes if you are a good customer they will take care of you, it is worth a phone call.

Thank you for the reply. I have not tried asking for a second box. I'm also trying to reduce the amount of wires and with where the second TV is downstairs, getting a second box would require a lot of wires to get to it...
Old 12-30-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyko View Post

It's not "wireless," but I suggest an HDhomerun w/ cablecard & QAM support, and a powerline ethernet adapter that plugs into your home wall ac sockets. Even the best of wireless tends to fail when streaming HD as the streaming is not set up to handle hiccups in the signal well, whereas a wired connection generally has no hiccups at all. I believe a 100baseT powerline setup is good enough for streaming tv signals, but you may want to spend a bit more for the higher capacity models. Netgear, zyxel make these devices, you'll need two of them, one upstairs and one downstairs. Then, purchase a tiny nettop pc from newegg for approx 170-250 bucks that supports hdmi. You'll be using that nettop windows media center as your dvr and to tune your tv stations downstairs. You're looking at 500 dollars one time investment for this type of system. Bonus is that the downstairs tv will have dvr functionality and be able to tune netflix and youtube, internet radio, whatever you like from the internet.

But it sounds like this setup will still be "wireless" though? Right now my downstairs does not have a wired connection (TV or network), so I will still have to have the data travel over wirelessly to get downstairs.

Is the HDhomerun product you are referring to made by SiliconDust?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Does the TV support WIRED networking? If so, you should be able to run a short Cat wire into the repeater and make the TV THINK it's wired but it's really not.

How do you intend to change channels on the downstairs TV? I'd try hitting up Comcast for a free 2nd box. It worked for me. Tell them FIOS is beating down your door and offering 3 (or 4 boxes) for free.

Thanks Tom. TV does not support wired networking, just components and HDMI inputs.

I am really hoping to avoid getting a second box to reduce the number of cables down there...
Old 12-30-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Most of the HD-capable wireless systems are short-range and/or line-of-sight, meant for a single room. You may be able to find one, but be prepared for a lot of trial and error at those distances.

You will absolutely need a 'receiver' at the downstairs set for any wireless solution. None of these are Ethernet - they are dedicated, point-to-point wireless links. It has nothing to do with your WiFi network. And the display will have no support built-in to receive the signal - hence the receiver.

Are there no wires between the two locations? An HDMI-over-coax or HDMI-over-Cat5 solution can work very well, and the receivers for those systems can be small enough to attach to the back of the display - even if it's wall-mounted.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfrosty View Post

But it sounds like this setup will still be "wireless" though? Right now my downstairs does not have a wired connection (TV or network), so I will still have to have the data travel over wirelessly to get downstairs.

Is the HDhomerun product you are referring to made by SiliconDust?

It won't be cordless/wireless and that's a good thing because I've done extensive testing and N always fails to perfectly stream HD video 24/7. It will use the wires that are already inside your walls to pass the network signal (electrical wires for ac outlets)...so it will require no new visible cords other than an ethernet cord from the hdhomerun to your router, and an hdmi from the nettop to the tv. You should set up the hdhomerun next to the cable modem and wifi router and connect the cable line into the hdhomerun, and then the hdhomerun ethernet connects into the router, then any computer in the house will be able to tune the cable channels over wifi (and it will probably work well over wifi sometimes but not 24/7 dependable)...then an ethernet cord out from the router into one of the powerline ac outlet networrk units that will send the signal over the powerline to another powerline unit you plug into an ac outlet in the downstairs room.

Yes, check out silicondust's webpage and find the product they sell that will work best for you. You'd also want a windows media center remote w/ usb ir to control your cable channels and dvr recording, these cost 10-15 dollars from newegg.com

You could probably rent a cable box for many months with 500 dollars, but if you do as I suggest you're gonna have a nice setup w/ dvr that can also handle netflix, hulu and couch web browsing duties. Only you can decide how to budget your money but the system I suggest is one possible way to do what you want (and more)
Old 01-01-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Most of the HD-capable wireless systems are short-range and/or line-of-sight, meant for a single room. You may be able to find one, but be prepared for a lot of trial and error at those distances.

You will absolutely need a 'receiver' at the downstairs set for any wireless solution. None of these are Ethernet - they are dedicated, point-to-point wireless links. It has nothing to do with your WiFi network. And the display will have no support built-in to receive the signal - hence the receiver.

Are there no wires between the two locations? An HDMI-over-coax or HDMI-over-Cat5 solution can work very well, and the receivers for those systems can be small enough to attach to the back of the display - even if it's wall-mounted.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, sounds like buying a receiver is in the cards.

There are no wires between the two TV's. Although it can be set up, it would be expensive and/or ugly with wires running outside.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyko View Post

It won't be cordless/wireless and that's a good thing because I've done extensive testing and N always fails to perfectly stream HD video 24/7. It will use the wires that are already inside your walls to pass the network signal (electrical wires for ac outlets)...so it will require no new visible cords other than an ethernet cord from the hdhomerun to your router, and an hdmi from the nettop to the tv. You should set up the hdhomerun next to the cable modem and wifi router and connect the cable line into the hdhomerun, and then the hdhomerun ethernet connects into the router, then any computer in the house will be able to tune the cable channels over wifi (and it will probably work well over wifi sometimes but not 24/7 dependable)...then an ethernet cord out from the router into one of the powerline ac outlet networrk units that will send the signal over the powerline to another powerline unit you plug into an ac outlet in the downstairs room.

Yes, check out silicondust's webpage and find the product they sell that will work best for you. You'd also want a windows media center remote w/ usb ir to control your cable channels and dvr recording, these cost 10-15 dollars from newegg.com

You could probably rent a cable box for many months with 500 dollars, but if you do as I suggest you're gonna have a nice setup w/ dvr that can also handle netflix, hulu and couch web browsing duties. Only you can decide how to budget your money but the system I suggest is one possible way to do what you want (and more)

Do you have any recommendations on a powerline ethernet unit?

How would the TV in the main room be set up? Would it be through the nettop?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 AM

I own zyxel 500mbps units I got as a pair for 70 bux at buy.com and they are streaming blurays and hd-dvds from my downstairs home server to my living room tv well, as well as sending my over the air tv signal from upstairs to my downstairs computer using an hdhomerun.

If you are paying rent for your current cable box, you may want to send it back, *after* you have determined that your new setup is working flawlessly. Because you could install the nettop on any tv in the house, and you could use your xbox360 as a media center extender to get that identical nettop media center feed to the other tv. The xbox 360 is designed to be streamed over N wireless and I think it's very possible you wouldn't need to buy a 3rd powerline network unit, and could use your existing N network with your 360, but you'd need a N adapter for your xbox 360 which you may already have. If you don't have one and If the price of the n adapter is close to a powerline adapter then use a powerline and plug the ethernet into the 360 as wired is almost always better than wireless.

Another idea would be to setup the hdhomerun box in place of your current cable box on the main floor near your tv, and install the nettop pc also on this tv set. Possibly, you could wirelessly stream this to your downstairs xbox 360 extender and avoid having to purchase any powerline adapters, because the signal to the hdhomerun would be fine (since it's coax) and media center and the 360 convert the stream into something that travels better over wireless. The raw unconverted hdhomerun feed is touchy and does not stream well over wireless but it shouldn't be a problem in the scenario just described. However, I must say I've never installed such a system but in theory it may well work, and you could try it first *before* you shell out for the powerline adapters.

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883103297

or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883108536

and this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815345006

plus two remotes, one for the nettop tv and one for the 360 media center extender tv (xbox doesn't require IR usb dongle as it has IR): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880101002

You could try this hardware first, and if it fails to stream flawlessly, then get three powerline adapters (one for router, one for nettop, one for 360) and set all of this stuff up as I originally suggested (hdhomerun into router etc). If your router is very close to your upstairs tv near the nettop, then you would only need two powerline adapters and not three as the nettop could plug directly into the router, and you would only need an ethernet out cord from the router to the powerline ac unit, and a powerline unit downstairs for the 360.

Also keep in mind that you'll get the best price if you go to slickdeals.net and shop for best prices on components over the course of a month or two. You could easily save 100 bucks or more over buying all components from newegg.com right this moment. eBay can also be your friend in acquiring these components at a discount from retail.