HT installer quote - need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My parents called up a shop in the Chicago area and got this quote. I was a little taken aback. Granted this is to do all the set up and stuff, but several items seemed very high priced, such as the "professional HDMI cables."

Can anyone give feedback on the quote? It seems on the high side and lacks a lot of detail - such as what RF remote system it is, or what model TV.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 05:08 PM

Liked: 11
Check out monoprice.com; see for yourself how overpriced the quote is on those items alone. They sell high quality AV cables and assessories at prices less than 1/3 what's listed on your quote......IMHO. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It all comes down to what kind of service your parents need. Sounds like you could just hire an electrician/contractor to add an outlet/wiring and do all the other stuff yourself (assuming you know how to program a URC remote).

Sometimes, you have to pay more $$ if there are no other viable alternatives (DIY). Yes, monoprice is way cheaper, but you really cannot compare if you are unable to install on your own.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:05 AM

Just me but I would have my parents stay far far away from such a place that doesn't tell them exactly what they're getting.

There are alot of large things in that quote you can buy/source yourself and save their overpriced charges. The TV/Remote/HDMI cables/Even the tv mount are ridiculously overpriced for what you can buy the same or better for.

Might consider sourcing some of the parts yourself for them and saving them a boatload of money while either doing the handywork yourself or just having the quoted business do the running of the wires.

Even running wires thorough walls isn't rocket science. You don't need to be Tesla or Einstein to do it yourself.

And while some cheaper remotes are a pain in the butt to program. I'm not sure the $150.00 charge fits the amount of work involved.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM

As someone who provides proposals on a daily basis, although not in this field, This "quote" is a little vague to me.

The words "professional" & "accessories" would alarm me.

Other than the TV there are no specifics. anyone can call anything "professional" and sell it as such.

I want specifics, brand names, models #'s, quantities,

Who is installing this stuff? subcontractors? are they licensed electricians? Do you need permits in your municipality for the electrical?

Contractor warranty?

Work Scope details. There are none.

I realize I may be a bit over the top with MY requirements for a job but, the more information I have or can provide to my potential customer benefits everyone in the end.

When the contractor gives you very little or vague information in his proposal it leaves the door open for them to find "unforeseen circumstances" and bill you without your knowledge.

With a detailed work scope there is no doubt about what is to be done. Anything outside of the original work scope can be mutually negotiated as a change order agreeable to both parties.

No invoice surprises.

Our proposals involve multiple steps, Demolition, disposal, new installation. All materials listed including brand names and quantities, the order and method of installation of the new materials. Standard exclusions are listed, deteriorated decking (replacement is listed on a unit cost basis in dollars per sqft), utility disconnects (by others, owner responsibility), weather, material price volatility over 30 days and so on.

I have won work based on just the proposal I provided, I wasn't low bid. But when the owner is looking at my detailed 3 page proposal and the other contractors 3 paragraph overview proposal for the exact same work, it's not hard for him to decide what he's getting for his money.

Just my nickels worth.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM

With the advent of Internet shopping, many AV installers/integrators will provide just this kind of proposal to prevent the customer from "shopping them" on the Internet and demanding the better prices that they see on-line.

A good question to ask is "what kind of service/warranty do I get after installation?" The answer the propective customer gets might well justify the additional cost of the components/installation. If you DIY, and the flat screen you got for a steal at Amazon dies after 10 days, you have to deal with the warranty issues. The AV installer/integrator will (if included in their installation warranty and purchased through them) come to your house, dismount the TV, package and ship the TV, and install a new one.

What's that worth to you? Your call!

Perfection is highly overrated!!!
XBL GamerTag: Chas617