KRay's basement build out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok my bro in law got me hooked on this site now it's midnight and i have a full day of work and i can't sleep thinking about finishing my basement/man cave!!!

so first i have a question, i see people with very nice 3d renderings and i am trying google sketchup but cant figure out how to do the full designs? i'm looking to get a build of my entertainment where i'm going to put my PJ. any help there would be great

as for now here is what we have started...

ok can't get any pics up yet, something about a security token missing so as soon as i figure that out i'll get them up...

nice thing about my basement is it has Superior walls so the only framing i have is all the interior walls, the outer basement walls are pre fab studded walls with holes drilled through the columns for me already.

also almost everything is tucked in up inside the joists with a few things ran against 1 long wall, and its pre plumbed for a bathroom already..

this is my really my first DYI project so all help and criticism welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Do a search for google skethup tutorial videos. Before I watched some of those, I was clueless about how to use the app.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 AM

Good luck with your build. Hang in there with the google sketch up, I thought it was the stupidest thing I ever tried and then all at once it clicked and it was awesome.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys for that input, only problem i am having now is posting pictures, my bro-law thinks i need more post before AVS lets me post pics, any insight on that, when i go to upload it tells me security token is missing???? as soon as i figure that out i can show the progress made in 2 days only working from 8a - 12p

KRay
Old 01-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Let me know if you can't get pics to load and I'll do it. Maybe I'll even load up a sketch up for ya too....

Here's a quick sketchup, dimensions are best guesses and some stuff is missing....

Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

test

this is 1 wall up in the office

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

ok got the pictures to work thanks to my brother in law r1jester! thanks didn't realize i needed to send to photobucket first!!!

ok so here is what we have accomplised in only about 8 hours of work!

looking into the office, there will be a wall with a bifold closet door to conceal the water softener and we will run an electric box behind it to control the basement

from the bar looking into the HT room

from the bar looking into the storage (very messy right now) and on the other side of that mess is the bathroom

from the screen wall looking into the bar area

from the bathroom looking into the office

2 walls up on the office to create a hallway

long look into the room, you can see the hallway on the right next to stairs

1 wall up on the storage room, this will also be the HT room wall

the closed end of the bar

front corner of bar

open end of bar (we will be dropping the pipes on the sump so the angle is lower creating more space to make some shelving behind the bar for bottles, tv, who knows right now)

open end again

inside the bar looking at screen wall

rough in for plumbing

rough in again, anybody know what the little white tube to the right of the red bucket is for, we are stumped on that (seems rough in is for a full tub but i'm going to do a big stand up shower with probably a vinyl floor and tile up to the top with a shower head and 2 spouts up the wall to get the chest and the twins ~ )

inside the storage looking at into the bottom of stairs

bathroom looking into softener closet

down hallway into bar

looking opposite direction down hallway

first wall up, and first wall in office

luckily my wife did a great job finding this house and didn't even realize that the basement had superior walls which saves me lots of time and money not needing to frame out the exterior!! her bonus is nice french doors on her office!

KRAY54
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

here are some actual dimensions! this program was easier to use than sketchup!

probably won't have so many chairs at the bar area but just thought it looked cool having them in their!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

got some new toys from my neighbor today, and after completing the saturday "honey do" list i should be able to get a few things accomplished tonight and tomorrow!

my plans are to build a shelving unit for the storage room so i can clean up the clutter!

also building a base for my keggerator to sit up on so it's off the ground

hopefully i can accomplish this tomorrow if my almost 4 year old lets me!

kray54
Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hello and welcome to the madness.

This is a great forum and a valuable resource. Hopefully others here will chime in and provide their input as well.

A couple of things the salt works better INSIDE the softener. Second, I think the pipe sticking up is the stack for the tub drain, that or a clean out, but more likely the tub drain.

Learn from my experience and work to clean up and organize your workspace. I got tired of moving all of the stuff in the basement around so I could work in one area, only to have to move it to another spot so I could work to where I had just moved it to. If you can move all of your stuff out say to the garage then you would not have to work around all the stuff all the time.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks RT that's what we were guessing to is the drain! As for the salt I always buy more incase i run out in the morning or night but yes it does work better inside! lol and for the mess I'm taking care of that tomorrow, moving some to garage and creating shelves for the others because I have already been moving the crap around to much ! Thanks for the input I look forward to learning as i go!

Kray54
Old 01-09-2012, 09:08 AM

Kray54,

Following your build. I started a similar build about a year ago and finished in April. Layout of the bar and theater combo has worked out well. You'll enjoy the finished project.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM

Liked: 12
I love the use of the space, the bar area looks great for entertaining. The office is nice, I would have plopped a pool table in that area... but you gotta do whatcha gotta do . Looking forward to following your build, one question though.. is that room next to the bathroom for an extra bedroom or just storage space??.. Couldn't remember if you had mentioned it, anyway - thanks for sharing your experiences.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Looking good. I am finishing a similar sized space as well and am finally approaching the end I will be subscribing...
Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

it's been a while since i last posted but i was busy getting the wife knocked up, then vacation to Disney, then the SuperBowl then the Car show....it's a non stop busy life around here sometimes!!! anyways made a few changes, nothing major

after successfuly slippin one past the goalie i decided that instead of an office in the basement that i will put a play room there for now until the kids get a little older! the office will now go upstairs in the open loft (against the wifes wishes) however i'd rather the toys be scattered downstairs than upstairs!

I'm waiting for my brother in law JESTER to come back over so we can finish framing out the now playroom with the french doors i purchased and then we have to frame up the bathroom and plumb it and we are done with framing! then it'll be on to wiring, we plan on running a sub panel in the small closet/storage with the water softener so that the basement can be on it's own panel....

in the meantime i cleaned up the mess and got most of everything off the floor, just waiting to run wire and put drywall on the back wall before i build the 2nd storage unit and set that up....

i also carried a stainless stell bev air dual keggerator downstairs myself and put it in position behind the bar (figured better to have it there now before we build the bar, and it barely fit in the rough in as it was!)

next project while waiting for JESTER will be to lower that angle on the sump pump so i can get more use outta that corner for my soon to be flat screen!

should be posting on a more regular basis now that i have until SEPT to get this baby done before the baby comes!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kray5454 View Post

i was busy getting the wife knocked up

lol.. Thanks for sharing and congrats

Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it has been 10 months since my post and you guys probably think i have given up!!! well i not only didn't give up, i have this project at 75% finished in less than 1 year!!!! working on getting to about 90% finished by NOTRE DAME in the BCS Championship (that means flooring is done, speakers/projector hung, walls painted, all that is left is the trim and finishing the bar)

it's been quite a fun year and i will try and notate which came in what month although seeing the stages you'll understand the order it came in....sorry still getting used to photobucket and the pics aren't in chronological order

anyways enough sorry i was gone so long, but here i am done the homestretch and my Brother in Law JESTER was a huge help and inspiration to the build out of this!!!! We did everything ourselves up until the point of drywall and then i paid pro's to hang/tape/mud/prime for me which is currently being done as i speak!! those guys should be done by sunday and it's on to painting and working on laminate floors thta i am installing in the bar, hallway and bathroom......carpet is going in the media room and kids room which will be done after the laminate is down and the media center and closet is up....

This project has been awesome so far and now i look forward to buying my next house with a bigger basement for JESTER and I to pimp out!

THANKS FOR CHECKING IN EVERYBODY I APPRECIATE IT!

Mid summer lemon shandy on the golf course to start this off since my last post the weather got really nice and my golf game picked up tremendously, i didn't spend very much time at all in the summer, maybe a total of 5 hours this summer...........

My buddy from El Paso Tx came to town to do the muddy buddy run, we dressed as presidental candidates!! i'm on left! this was in june

started painting and designing the babies room, we went with diamonds on the main wall, more pics to come

NEXT 28 is current drywalling that is going on

Next 19 is final framing, wiring is done, just getting ready to stuff r30 into ceiling and get it ready for drywall, this was the first 2-3 weeks of november

Next 5 are the new black friday toys.....added the star wars xbox to join my ps3!! gonna be sick

Next 77 are final framing, all wiring, lighting, and some things i picked up along the way to splice the directv off main feed and into multi feeds in the basement (oh yeah, the tvs above are going in the bar, the kids room and the bathroom! never miss a play)

The newest addition to the family born 9/9

Wife needed this white rocker turned black.....

cover for the access door for sump pump...found it on ebay for 10 bucks free shipping, can't beat it

Next 9 is the baby room, stained doors, and me helping JESTER get his deck in prior to my nieces bday in august!! hottest damn day of the summer here and we were using a 2-man auger to dig post holes!! what were we thinkin

Mid Juneish workout 2 man pushing the f-150 at the gym!!

the rest are just random pics of the framing

Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
WOW, and yes we had given up on you! Looks like you have been busy!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.