Max viewing distance of 9ft, projector for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-08-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have always wanted to do a big 90" + screen with a projector setup. I'm refinishing the basement now that i have added the new room and now going to install a home theater system. Here are my two options as far as setting up the tv area. I can either do the room as 12.5ft x 9.5ft with the screen on the 9.5ft wall with the couches against the back wall giving me 12ft but no room to mount the projector behind. Or i can put the wall on the 12.5ft wide wall but then only have max viewing distance of 9ft but could mount the projector back 12 to 14ft. Is a projector setup out for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
You need to use the "throw distance" calculator to see if how big of an image you can get from your choice of projectors at the available distances. Nothing says you have to mount the projector behind the couch, either. That's a preferred location, but not mandatory.

And don't forget that the distance calculations are from the lens of the projector. You have to subtract that from your room distance (meaning - a 12" deep projector in a 14' deep room has a max of 13' throw).

But yes, you've probably got enough room.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page